JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have often questioned the logic in Leeds kicking penalties / dropping goals late on in close tense games, but yet the goons on Sky have never mentioned the potential downside of doing so, so I was wondering if anyone else thinks along similar lines?

Tonight, when Sinfield kicked the penalty late on it changed the scoreline from an 8 point advantage 10 points. Game wise, it changes little - Warrington still need to score twice to win. Granted, they would have to kick both goals instead of just one had the difference remained at 8 points, but I still think it's taking a risk. At the time we were deep in their territory and were controlling possession and field position. In that situation, if we turn down the kick at goal and keep the ball, various options are available: A try to put the game beyond doubt, potentially at least one repeat set if we can force a drop out, or the worst case scenario, Warrington get the ball on their own line with 100 yards to go and at least the same amount of time taken out of the game that the penalty would have done.

Instead, by taking the two, we hand the initiative back to the opposition. By taking a short kick off (which they're pretty much 100% guaranteed to do) we run the risk of them getting posession 40 yards away from our line, 60 yards further up the pitch than they would have been and momentum now back with them. Now, many will no doubt say that in such positions you have to back yourself from a short kick off and close the game out from there. Without doubt I'm thinking negatively by being wary of this, but I base this on Leeds probably being 50/50 at best from short kick offs - in fact I've seen Leeds lose possession far more than gain it - or it certainly seems that way anyway (the Catalans game being an exception) - I'm sure TVOC will pop up with stats to disprove my claim, but that's my gut feeling anyway icon_smile.gif As it turned out, Warrington did indeed get the ball back from the short kick off, and had an opportunity to score a try which would have put them either 4 or 6 behind with a few minutes still to go. Obviously, they missed their chance and by the time they did score it was too late, but I'm just throwing it out there icon_smile.gif

Another example was in one of the GF's against Saints (2009 I think...) we drop a goal with a few minutes to go which does nothing to change the overall match situation score wise, but hands field position over to Saints when we could have spent a few more minutes down at their end. From the short kick off they very nearly retain possession, and from there the game could have changed dramatically. I think something similar may have happened in the most recent GF against Warrington...

So what would you do? Take the two and risk losing possession and field position from the short kick off, or retain possession and try and keep the ball as far away from our own line as possible for the remainder of the game? Naturally, if there's only 1 score difference, and taking the two changes this to two scores it's a no brainer, but when the penalty changes little score wise, I'm just not sure...

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach393No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

By the way, this is not a post match moan when we've had a very good hard earned victory - merely an observation based on a few occasions when this scenario has come up. The fact that in each of the cases I've referred to, the decision didn't end up costing us suggests I'm wrong, I'm just thinking from the point of view of REALLY not wanting to see any more short kick offs with a few minutes to go in big games and having to sweat potentially unnecessarily for a few minutes icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

It was late in the game, it eats up the clock we get two points and we get the ball back. The right decision IMO. We tend to take the two when we think its going to be a tight game. Taking the two helped us earn the two points in France on monday

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

I personally wanted us to run the final penalty and at worst keep them in their 20m.
What i did notice was Sinfield checking the clock before opting for the 2 and he made the call that at the very worst the clock would finish Wire off even in the event of their last second "wide to west" effort.
For me if there was 4/5minutes left then yeh but i'm sure there was 8minutes left when he kicked and again id have ran it because they seemed to fire up for one last effort albeit in vane.
It worked for us so fair do's but another set on their line would have imo prevented that last try and possibly got us another one.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

We had been out on our feet before that set, looking very fatigued. It was right to take the two at that stage, IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

Was that the only penalty we got in the 2nd half? Amazing really considering how Child seemed to be cracking down on messing about at the ruck, Wire were probably worse in this area in the 2nd half than they were in the first.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach393No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: G1 "We had been out on our feet before that set, looking very fatigued. It was right to take the two at that stage, IMO.'"

In hindsight, the one thing I didn't refer to in my original post which I should have done was the fatigue level... Given this, taking the two does indeed give the team a potentially valuable breather, so you definitely have a point on that score... However, if you are a fatigued player, what would you rather be doing - attacking 10 yards from the opposition's line (bearing in mind the like of Hall, Watkins, Moon and Hardaker who all still looked fairly fresh could have taken a few drives in - as Hall indeed did end up doing quite a few times in the remaining play) or defending 35 yards out against a team throwing it about all over the place desperate for a score?

At the end of the day, the fact that by taking the two Leeds showed they backed themselves to handle the short kick off, hence showing positivity as opposed to my negativity, and they turned out to be right - but it could so very easily have gone against us. It just makes it all the tougher to watch when supporting a team who put us through the wringer enough as it is icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Eddie Hemmings said not ":1h9um51j] "Remember last time they were here, the Huddersfield Giants, they lost to a Luke Walsh drop goal. He's only scored four drop goals in his St Helens career has Luke Walsh and each and every one of them have been scored by Luke Walsh"[/quote:1h9um51j]:

From a Wire point of view I was relieved with the decision to go for 2.

A tap, no mistakes, and at worst give us the ball back a minute later 95m or so from your line, or at best score a try to finish us off. Taking the 2 and moving from 8 to 10 points ahead made little difference, maybe used up less time and gave us the opportunity to get the ball back in the Leeds half.

Ultimately it made no difference in the end, but for a minute or so it gave us hope of snatching a totally undeserved win.

RankPostsTeam
International Star35No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

His decision making in terms of penalties and one pointers has never really cost us and as was shown in France on Monday his ability to use his goal kicking to ensure victories in games is second to none.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

I thought the taking the 2 in the last few minutes was the right call as we looked knackered.
I would disagree with the decision early in the first half to take the 2. I know it took us 2 scores ahead but I thought we were well ontop at that point and another set on their would have led to a try for us.

But then I'm not Leeds captain for several very good reasons

RankPostsTeam
International Star4No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

For me it all depends on the score not the clock. If we are 4 in front then go for 2 as 6 is a converted try for them to draw level. If the 2 points does not give us another converted try advantage then try and score a try or pin them down their end.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2294
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Good call by the o p in my opinion the Wire poster said it all it gave them a chance that they should not have been given , fatigue is always going to kick in more without the ball than with it . Saying that and defending Sinny he makes more good calls than bad

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Thurman Merman "His decision making in terms of penalties and one pointers has never really cost us and as was shown in France on Monday his ability to use his goal kicking to ensure victories in games is second to none.'"

Indeed.2003 is an experience that the skipper would not like to taste again.

RankPostsTeam
International Star87No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Feb 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Often it is a mixed blessing to be awarded a penalty near the opponent's line ,you have to gamble ,take an easy two points or go for six points and possibly get nothing.Many times a defending team holds a player down,preventing an inevitable try from being scored ,in that sort of situation they have nothing to lose.I would like to see a rule change ,where, after a successful penalty goal the non offending team gets to restart on the opponent's forty metre line with a tap.So you can take the two points without losing too much field position and still retain possession.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: davetrin "Often it is a mixed blessing to be awarded a penalty near the opponent's line ,you have to gamble ,take an easy two points or go for six points and possibly get nothing.Many times a defending team holds a player down,preventing an inevitable try from being scored ,in that sort of situation they have nothing to lose.I would like to see a rule change ,where, after a successful penalty goal the non offending team gets to restart on the opponent's forty metre line with a tap.So you can take the two points without losing too much field position and still retain possession.'"

Don't particulary like that idea personally. It's like being penalised twice. Keep the rule how it is, there is nothing wrong with it.

30 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
30 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0400390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do we want in the play-offs
Barbed Wire
4m
Shopping list for 2025
DSJ1983
4m