Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Dwayne Dibley "You're assuming they will go five years without injury in a collision sport.'"

That's kind of the point though, the collisions are big enough to cause injury and massive stress upon the body.
People on this thread have said players should be able to play once a week. I don't think all can anymore. Some need a rest to recover, especially if you want them to play toward their peak ability.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Players should be able to play once a week.......providing they come out of the previous game without carrying a knock.

If you tweak a hamstring, or bang a shoulder, or twist an ankle, or damage your back then does a 6/7 days turnaround to then play in a Cup final at Wembley sound like fun?

That's WEMBLEY vs SL opposition with 30,000 odd of your fans there......not whatever weekend amateur team somebody played for on here in front of 100 people and their dogs.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Him "Some weeks they're fit enough, others not. It's not about fitness in the sense as we usually think of it, as in can they run enough etc. Its the physical toll a game takes on the players body. That toll gets greater and greater each season as teams improve and sports science/conditioners/modern coaching gets players to play faster, harder and smarter.

Taking a Friday to Friday game schedule, the players are usually in recovery training up until Wednesday. Obviously that's an average, some weeks they can do more earlier in the week, some weeks less. And obviously some players recover quicker than others and some players have higher game workloads than others. It's actually a coaching objective/guidance for Peacock to reduce his game workload.

The players, especially the forwards, take huge stresses on their bodies during games. In the Wire game at home this year Peacock took 30 impacts each equivalent to a 30 mph car crash. And that wasn't an unheard of figure.
Michael Monaghan is retiring because of too many blows to the head, another aspect to the fitness issue too.

Is it any wonder some need resting after a tough game? Especially those in their 30's?
I'm sure some of them could have played, but surely we want them in as good a physical condition for Wembley as possible?

As for the NRL, it's not an equal comparison as they have bigger squads, a reserves comp, fewer games and bye weeks plus it's a different style of play. And there haven't been many games this season in which Leeds could cruise. As I said on another thread not long ago, there are roughly just as many blowout scorelines in the NRL as in SL.

Add in the cumulative effect of several seasons of large amounts of games, the cumulative effect of games within a season, minor injuries not given chance to recover from and I'm not suprised we have times in the season where 8/9/10 players are injured.

As I said, I'm sure some could have played today, but do we want them to or do they benefit more from a week off and be in much, much better physical condition than they would have been for the final.

Some people see it as disrespecting SL to play a weakened team in that game, well you could also see it as disrespecting the Cup to play a strong team in the London game.'"
These are professional players their training should prepare them for the intensity of what takes place during the gladitorial exchanges.

Players do get injured and that is a valid reason for not playing - fatigue should not be a genuine reason in an elite professional sport for not playing

On the NRL the scores are not an indication of the physicality of the contest. The scoring differential between the top teams in the premiership and the rest and the top teams in the championship and the rest will be similar but the speed and intensity will be very different

RankPostsTeam
International Star58
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72553_1399649185.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72553.jpg

You watch the match highlights and tell me that the team wasn't capable of beating London, we were fully capable but we completely switched off. With full team I agree we would have won, but on the other hand our team was completely capable and showed that in parts. The team selection wasn't the issue for me, it was the switch off which in the end is down to the players.
Zak Hardaker, Ryan Hall and Ian Kirke the experience was there to not lose. No question.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "These are professional players their training should prepare them for the intensity of what takes place during the gladitorial exchanges.

Players do get injured and that is a valid reason for not playing - fatigue should not be a genuine reason in an elite professional sport for not playing

On the NRL the scores are not an indication of the physicality of the contest. The scoring differential between the top teams in the premiership and the rest and the top teams in the championship and the rest will be similar but the speed and intensity will be very different'"

Training can never prepare a player fully for a game. Or players would be effectively playing a game in training.
15 years ago pro RL players were playing 1 game per week. That is still the same now. Despite a huge increase in the speed and power of players over those 15 years. Whilst modern training and recovery methods can help alleviate that strain, I don't see it as unreasonable to think that we might have reached the point where some players on some occasions in the season need to be rested even without an injury. Especially when there is a game where you want to get the most out of that player.
That seems obvious as most people on here have called for players to be rested during the year, even when not injured.

As I said, I'm sure most of the Leeds players could have played in the London game, but do you want your key players in as good a condition as possible for a Cup Final?

But games that are close usually aren't cruises for one team. Which was the assertion. The difference between the Premiership and Championship is in quality not in fitness or effort. Leeds United players will work just as hard for a win as Man City players will.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Just seen the video of McDermott's post match interview on the Leeds website. That definitely isn't a man who doesn't care that we lost, he did seem very annoyed with individuals.....he kept emphasising the word "individuals".

Reporter "will this have any bearing on next week?

McDermott "it'll have a bearing tomorrow when I drag those blokes in who played, those that we feel were culpable, it'll absolutely have a bearing."

TBF to the guy he's been accused of not sounding too angry or upset post defeat/poor showing but watching that he really wasn't happy and quite angry at what happened.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Him "Training can never prepare a player fully for a game. Or players would be effectively playing a game in training.
15 years ago pro RL players were playing 1 game per week. That is still the same now. Despite a huge increase in the speed and power of players over those 15 years. Whilst modern training and recovery methods can help alleviate that strain, I don't see it as unreasonable to think that we might have reached the point where some players on some occasions in the season need to be rested even without an injury. Especially when there is a game where you want to get the most out of that player.
That seems obvious as most people on here have called for players to be rested during the year, even when not injured.

As I said, I'm sure most of the Leeds players could have played in the London game, but do you want your key players in as good a condition as possible for a Cup Final?

But games that are close usually aren't cruises for one team. Which was the assertion. The difference between the Premiership and Championship is in quality not in fitness or effort. Leeds United players will work just as hard for a win as Man City players will.'"

The whole point of training is to prepare players for the job in hand surely? Players should be able to manage one game a week - many don't even need to do 80 minutes as they are substituted for significant time during the game. On here some are suggesting players are rested after 3/4 games into the season. Some were suggesting Sinfield needed resting despite having two games off only a week ago

The play offs have shown a week off is not always a positive move for a team - Mcdermott was in a no win position today, i for one thought he got it about right, the players let him down

On soccer the players at Leeds simply wouldn't be able to live with the physical speed of the premiership especially for the whole 90 minutes

RankPostsTeam
International Star1489
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65566_1408120525.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65566.jpg

I am the proudest man alive tonight after todays slim victory - and almost throwing it away in the last play. It's as if London's victory equates to winning the League Leaders Shield, the Challenge Cup Final and the World Club Challenge in the same week. Hats off to all the Leeds fans I was surrounded by for being so supportive of the London team and the good natured banter after the final whistle.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "The whole point of training is to prepare players for the job in hand surely? Players should be able to manage one game a week - many don't even need to do 80 minutes as they are substituted for significant time during the game. On here some are suggesting players are rested after 3/4 games into the season. Some were suggesting Sinfield needed resting despite having two games off only a week ago

The play offs have shown a week off is not always a positive move for a team - Mcdermott was in a no win position today, i for one thought he got it about right, the players let him down

On soccer the players at Leeds simply wouldn't be able to live with the physical speed of the premiership especially for the whole 90 minutes'"

Of course it is, but it can only do so much. As I said on a Friday to Friday game schedule, teams will only do "game training" (ie training as we would think of it, working plays/skills/shapes etc) on Wednesday or Thursday as the rest of the week prior to that is based around recovery. Also I would be very surprised if there is any full contact training session at all once the season starts.

But what is the statement "players should be able to manage one game a week" based on? At what point, with players size, power and speed increasing all the time, would that have to change? If it's the case then would you say no player should be rested at any point this season?
Of course players could physically play in the game, but how effective would they be? And what effect would that have for the week after?

You're right some players don't play 80 minutes, but most of the players people would rest are players who play long minutes and are usually in the thick of the action. People like Peacock, Ablett, Delaney, Sinfield etc or a player like Leuluai who's an impact prop in his mid 30's. I don't think anyone would say someone like Bailey or Clarkson needs a rest.

I agree on McDermott, though I'd have been tempted to have had one of McGuire, Burrow or Sinfield out there to give a bit of leadership and structure from the halves. But, like the Bradford game, the players out there should have done better.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2327
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The coach also needs to start looking at himself after the recent defeats to Wakey , Bradford and London plus Warrington apart we have been ordinary for months at best . Yes he can still turn it round but if he does not the buck stops with him .

RankPostsTeam
International Star306No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

i was a bit amused at my fellow leeds fans at the game. at 30-8 there was signing and dancing, i even joked that i hadnt put enough on my bet. by the 75th minute disbelief had set in. goulding was terribly, ok first game, but if you cant shine against london i doubt you ever will. London did the right thing and targeted hanley i think it was on Ryans halls wing. scored most of their tries through his defensive lapses.

Ok, IF we win next week and we all cheer. then we look at the table and see that we boned ourselves in the league for a CC win. 3 cup finals in 3 week i heard one of you say. well had we respected london and bulls they woulnt be the must wins that they now are.

I blame mac for his subs, should of started with the debutants and brought on experience to tidy up any lapses. the players alos take a huge chuck of responsibility.

However, i felt Singleton played a blnder in the first half. really showed that he is coming along nicely. though sutty was ok and was much better in his kicking game than zak. za did ok, the sort of performance you expect from a player whos in a cup final next week. watkins was amazing. every time he got the ball he looked like scoring, maybe had he passed to briscoe (broscoe icon_wink.gif) on the final play... Ifs, BUTs and MAYBEs...

for 1 thing, we had better win next week, because for all the promise they showed start of season we are in real danger of winning nothing

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2531No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15455_1318246892.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15455.jpg

Quote: southern_rhino "
for 1 thing, we had better win next week, because for all the promise they showed start of season we are in real danger of winning nothing'"

What the absolute f-k, how are we in real danger of winning nothing?!?

This board is so pessimistic it's untrue.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3101No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38041_1320825214.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_38041.jpg

FINALLY we see McDermott getting just as peed off as us fans. COINCIDENCE that senior/golden generation/leaders of this Leeds team are the ones that will not be blamed? McDermott is scared of falling out of favour at Leeds. Big individuals in the side that he needs to keep onside, that is why he has never publically critised and voiced his frustrations at them. But as soon as they are out of the side, we see him doing just that.

I'm annoyed & embarrassed. But just think on Saturday at 5pm all will be forgotten.

RankPostsTeam
International Star501
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: LeedsDave "Who actually cares?

Its all about next week, today was just a weekend to get out of the way.

If you care about today then you don't understand our priorities as a club and thiers as a group of players.'"

I care. I wasted a day and a boat load of money going to watch the team i support capitulate without even a whimper. Perhaps they should come out and tell us fans that they dont give a toss about certain matches so we can avoid wasting our money going to support them?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RhinoNeil "FINALLY we see McDermott getting just as peed off as us fans. COINCIDENCE that senior/golden generation/leaders of this Leeds team are the ones that will not be blamed? McDermott is scared of falling out of favour at Leeds. Big individuals in the side that he needs to keep onside, that is why he has never publically critised and voiced his frustrations at them. But as soon as they are out of the side, we see him doing just that.

I'm annoyed & embarrassed. But just think on Saturday at 5pm all will be forgotten.'"

Well, he can't criticize the senior players when none of them were playing. He could have criticized himself for not playing any of them so there was no leadership on the field (just playing JJB, who's had hardly any rugby this year, would probably be enough to seal the win). Or he could have criticized himself for building a club that has no structures or relies entirely on individual play to get through a game. The reason Wigan can bring their kids in and look fine is not because their kids are better, it's because they're fitting those kids into a jigsaw they already know how to make.

107 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
107 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.00537109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
25m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
Recent
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
Recent
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
Recent
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
1m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
3m
Squad 2024
faxcar
4m
Film game
Boss Hog
4m
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
4m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
5m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
6m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
7m
Former players
Jemmo
7m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,834 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22