FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > RD 7 | St Helens (H)
276 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9530
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1157.jpg
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.:1157.jpg

Quote: christopher "Who spends most time with him?'"

Whilst I’d like to see the kid given a chance, he’s our future not a 31 year old journeyman, if he’s not physically or mentally ready to be exposed to SL then it could do him more harm than good. That said if not now, when?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: christopher "Who spends most time with him?'"

Who has more to lose?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: christopher "There’s nothing to work with? I suppose i imagined those games before lockdown ?

After the Hull game a lot in here said we would lose the next 5-6 games.

Are we going to win anything this year? Probably not we’re not good enough and I think the club knows this.

Does tonight mean anything? Will tonight define the season? No.'"

I agree with the above - the concern is the club is taking about financial losses and controlling costs - that doesn't suggest investment in the squad. The other concern is the lack of quality coming through - this can only worsen with the reduction in academy and reserves.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Swoggy Loiner "I mean as a whole pal. It’s been five years in the making to get this poor. Ok we somehow managed to pinch a GF win in 2017, but the writing was on the wall when Sinfield and Peacock jacked.
I’m well aware it’s not easy running a club as big as Leeds, and balancing the books, but to see clientele like Rhys Evans and James Donaldson in a Leeds 17 is an all time low.'"

Add to that Luke Briscoe too - these guys shouldn't be anywhere near a SL side.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13556No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "

I'd say that's pretty sensible given the current situation to be honest.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The coaching needs a refresh - it is a shame they couldn't persuade Ryan Carr to stay - perhaps that would have been too much competition for Agar - the current assistant coaches - one has no experience, one has been a disaster everywhere he has coached, one has never been a head coach at a lower level - Agar is either reaping what he has sown or is working with his hands tied behind is back?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: christopher "I'd say that's pretty sensible given the current situation to be honest.'"

If you want to experience losses like yesterday - yes it is - no sure that is really what the club are really looking for?

The success on the field drives all the other revenue streams - if you want to get out of the financial mess they say they are in you have to generate revenues, they can't cut their way out of £4m hole.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13556No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "If you want to experience losses like yesterday - yes it is - no sure that is really what the club are really looking for?

The success on the field drives all the other revenue streams - if you want to get out of the financial mess they say they are in you have to generate revenues, they can't cut their way out of £4m hole.'"

I honestly think both the posts above are an over reaction to what was a very poor performance against a red hot team when we had injuries to key players after a an unforced 5 month layoff.

We don't fully know the ins and outs of the financial situation but I prefer the club to be cautious - especially with no relegation this year, of course success drives income but we were in the model of a rebuild job then the worst possible timing we had a global pandemic shutting down the entire operation, if there was anytime ever to cut the club some slack it is now.

I'm not hiding my head in the sand, quite the opposite I'm being realistic with where we were and where we found ourselves now, let's face it we could have been in a lot worse position than in the top 4 with a positive points difference.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain132
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Feel like a lot of people here are overreacting and still forgetting where we are as a club in terms of rebuilding. Saints are a fair way ahead of us currently. Add to that we were without first choice players in a fair few key positions in the team and Sts were big favourites for this. Personally I thought if we could start strong and keep up physically we could see a good game OR we'd have 50 put on us. I couldn't see much in between. I thought we looked bright for the first few minutes and seemed to be a bit less sloppy than we were last week but they bullied us completely through the middle. We already know our pack is a bit lightweight. I think Prior's been a good addition but he was very poor last night. Gale's been fantastic but he was off his game - thought his kicking game especially was unusually poor but can maybe put that down to the added pressure of the beaten pack. So we've gone into a game against a superior side with a weaker pack, missing players in key positions and with key players putting in weak performances and people are surprised we got turned over? Throw into the mix everyone's still getting used to the speed of the new rules - there were LOADS of points shipped across all the games this weekend. I'm not defending the performance, it was poor and we got soundly beaten by a better team but there seems to be an awful lot of people who need a bit of a reality check on here in my opinion. We're not a top 4 team at the moment. There'll be a lot more teams soundly beaten by this Saints team this year. I still think we're a far better team then we've been the last couple of seasons so we're still moving in the right direction. We need to be prepared to knuckle down and remember where we've been and how much work there is to do I think. Lack of relegation this year means they can at least concentrate on rebuilding without the panic of that weighing on their shoulders

RankPostsTeam
International Star1080No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Seth "McClelland is the least of the concerns and is being badly let down by the middle. Also showing more willingness to go at the line than any others.'"

Yep, this game was a good example of how hard it is to play behind a beaten pack. You won't see the best of McLelland until he gets an extended run, he was pretty ordinary in his first 2 or 3 games for Fev until he started playing regularly with the same guys around him and his confidence levels went up (and he was playing on the front foot for an in-form team).

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain933No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Last night was poor and embarrassing to an extent but think many are overreacting like others have pointed out, we had a few of our strike and attacking weapons out in Walker, Hurrell and Ward and Lui ( to an extent) our pack is light everybody knows that Agar and Sinfield know that they were trying to bring a middle forward in before the pandemic but might have to weight until next season to get the right man and balance everything out properly, Saints are the best side in SL and have been for past 3 seasons there pack is probably best in SL and could compete with most packs in the world of rugby at the minute, that being said we made them look extra special with our poor discipline giving away countless high tackles and then coming up with silly errors when we did have possession 48-0 is embarrassing to be beaten by anyone but think some fans are getting ahead of themselves saying Prior is no good and Gale is useless they couldn't play their usual game due to sainst literally bullying us all game but both of them were poor last night granted, it's all about the reaction now we don't have to beat Wigan next week for me but we have to compete for the full 80 and Agar has to get his team right for me no backs on the bench Players like Holroyd, Walters and Mustapha meed to get games it will only benefit us in the long run and make them into top grade SL players if their good enough, but on the flip side they shouldn't be used every game because if the team does start to struggle and these young players are playing in a beaten team it will do their confidence no good and fans will be calling for their heads which is not what the club needs or wants.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Agar is not the coach of a champion side. Leeds are obviously not a champion team at the moment either but the head coach is more than just a rugby "coach". Agar is not the man to build a new team or inspire the current one.

These are difficult times and I am sure that a lot of clubs, Leeds included, are trying to survive. It's not a great time to have to go out and rebuild a shattered squad with a team in decline and still fulfill expectations of a big club. Leeds have definitely made progress but probably the shutdown came at exactly the wrong moment for them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain503No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'd really like to see mustapha get a chance.Hope he's big enough.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: DHM "Agar is not the coach of a champion side. Leeds are obviously not a champion team at the moment either but the head coach is more than just a rugby "coach". Agar is not the man to build a new team or inspire the current one.

These are difficult times and I am sure that a lot of clubs, Leeds included, are trying to survive. It's not a great time to have to go out and rebuild a shattered squad with a team in decline and still fulfill expectations of a big club. Leeds have definitely made progress but probably the shutdown came at exactly the wrong moment for them.'"

Agar has a role at this club, and he has the skilset and ability to fulfill that role successfully. That role though is what the guy was brought in to do, not the job he is now doing. Had he been right for the current role then he would have had that in the first place.

His original role was the very reason they went the way with coaching appointments they did. I don't agree with the jobs for the boy, but still they saw the skillset in Agar to do something about it. As a result of not able to concentrate on that role, we now have the added issue of not only the wrong first team coach, but the wrong back up too.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I take all the points - there are some good points made.

I am not suggesting Agar should go - I am suggesting he needs better support - JJB is a novice compare him to Wellens and the levels of experience. James Webster did he not get Hull KR relegated - compare him to Richard Marshall. Chev more experienced but never run a team. Wolff is a proven coach but he has a wealth of knowledge and coaching experience to support him.

In terms of the team - maybe prudence is the correct option but if you standstill only one thing happens - your competitors go past. Leeds have been in standstill mode since 2015 and it is showing in the quality of the side and the lack of quality coming through the juniors. Look at the team last night - on 5 players that have come through the academy compared to 9 in the Saints side - when you playing the likes of Rhys Evans something is a miss!!

The team don't look fit - Lui and Hurrell are an embarrassment to the coaching/conditioning staff for professional athletes - McCelland also looked heavier than he should. Allowances can be made for lockdown but that applies to all teams.

Saints are a great side - but we shouldn't be getting beat by 50 points - their youngsters are on a different level to ours which given they are competing with Wigan for them suggests a young development process that is well invested and focused.

Last night was a bad night the first 65 minutes last week were also very poor - this should not be overlooked.

276 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
276 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

14.0830078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
6m
Film game
karetaker
8m