Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto " But we are where we are and we have to accept that and we would all do better to get behind the players and coaches to try and lift the confidence rather than yet more and more negative topics that all repeat the same thing.'"

Firstly this board I believe has no impact on confidence at Headingley and if it has then they are in the wrong business.

And secondly the only time you've been behind Hardaker, Hall and Watkins is with your boot up their arris as they walk through the exit door.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

.... His stubbornness and spitefulness e.g. Baldwinson non selection does him no favours when the going is tough and you need a few friends. As the saying goes "what goes around comes around"..

More pertinently I believe " make friends on the way up because you never know who you might meet/need on the way down".

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain335No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I am not so deep in the blame game as you'"

Really? Would you like me to dig up your posts on Hardaker - or, indeed in this very post, where you state

So it's only a problem if the blame is aimed at BMD?

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Your whole argument is based an assumption that the coach is not working on the training field to improve performances.'"

I know this is aimed at Sal, but as far as I am concerned I do not question his work ethic & that he is frantically trying to solve our current problems. I do, however, question whether he is the man who can put things right - things have got progressively worse, not better.

I also believe that if we signed Cameron Smith (Aus version), Jonathan Thurston & Matt Scott & got our injured players back that it wouldn't be long before BMD looked like the second coming. Coaches, IMO, show their true worth in adversity.

Quote: Juan Cornetto "we would all do better to get behind the players and coaches to try and lift the confidence rather than yet more and more negative topics that all repeat the same thing.'"

I am a season ticket holder & attend all home & the occasional away match. I do not believe in booing as it is counterproductive. I do my (very small) part in trying to support & lift the team. Do you? Plus what tvoc said

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: tvoc "2015 McDermott with Sinfield, Peacock

Selective as usual. You may consider yourself good at filling in spreadsheets but you leave much to be desired in your simplistic analysis.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: son of headingley "I suggest you re-read. The passage you quoted was in the paragraph where I was referring to 2011-2015. ie he is OK with world class players in a settled champion team, with "a small smattering of injuries which do not disrupt too much".'"

Most coaches would have had the same huge problem to overcome the most persistent and unusual injury crisis that Leeds have had to face this season. If you remove the main half or your key asset it is going to have a serious affect on your performances. Pray tell what are your "ingenious plans to cover" this?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise " I actually think you think McDermott can walk on the surface of the River Aire
Because I disagree with your opinion regarding BM does not ipso facto mean I therefore think he can walk on water. It is precisely this sort of flawed logic that you are applying to the coach and why I argue against you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2531No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15455_1318246892.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15455.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Most coaches would have had the same huge problem to overcome the most persistent and unusual injury crisis that Leeds have had to face this season. If you remove the main half or your key asset it is going to have a serious affect on your performances. Pray tell what are your "ingenious plans to cover" this?'"

Careful bringing sensible reasoned argument into this forum. Especially the 'injury excuse' that Mac should have magically accounted for.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Selective as usual. You may consider yourself good at filling in spreadsheets but you leave much to be desired in your simplistic analysis.'"

Still backing Stuart Lancaster for the England RU job?

Often there is no need to look for complicated answers, sometimes it's quite straight forward even if some prefer to dance around the issue.

I'm sure McDermott had a hand in the Leeds success over the previous five seasons as one part of the senior trio which included Sinfield and Peacock. On his own it's turned to dust even quicker than his biggest critics could have anticipated.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2356
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74805_1455211563.gif
[b:3e8ueqvz]I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar![/b:3e8ueqvz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74805.gif

Quote: Ferdy "We seem to have very polar opposite view here either he can do no wrong or everything is macs fault. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. The success we have had he has a part in equally in the decay he also has a role'"

Completely agree but i will add when you read comments this season or previous ones you wont find ANY that blame the Coach for EVERYTHING that went or has gone wrong.
Indeed alot of comments where posters dare to ?? The Coach were valid at that moment in time in terms of performances/selections & results.
I dont mind admitting after calling for his sacking a few years ago he & the team proved us wrong & that was great to see.
Of course JC et al will have you believe picking injured players ,using only 15/16 men or selecting his favourites when in a sustained run of poor form is top class Coaching acumen & anybody who questions it has poor judgement because we got it wrong wanting him sacked in previous years.
The fact remains as we stand we are bottom of SL playing the worst RL ive seen in the last 15/20yrs.
Now its a given injuries & pre-season disruptions play a part in that as does questionable recruitment but to sit back & absolve this Coach of any blame imo is wrong & also shows we've gone as far as we can under him.
The 17 available are capable & should be better than they've produced simple as that they still concede the same type of tries they still look clueless in attack & the Coach has failed to address it.
Hopefully GH will cut out the BS & the on/off field clear out will begin so we can hit 2017 running.
Yes players are culpable as is GH but so is the Coach & ATEOTD the buck stops with him other teams have suffered this year & indeed had 1 or 2 hammerings but they've recovered to perform even missing key players we look nowhere near & mssrs Smith & Mclennon left/were let go with much better final seasons on their CV's.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain335No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Most coaches would have had the same huge problem to overcome the most persistent and unusual injury crisis that Leeds have had to face this season. If you remove the main half or your key asset it is going to have a serious affect on your performances. Pray tell what are your "ingenious plans to cover" this?'"

Yes they would - the point is that BMD hasn't made a very good fist of it.

As far as ingenious plans, perhaps I as being a bit tongue in cheek (hence the quotation marks). But BMD is a highly paid professional coach who is tasked with getting the most out of the resources available to him. I quite simply feel that he has not been able to do this. He has been found wanting.

Given the line-ups vs Widnes (A), Salford (A), Wakefield (H), HKR (H) & Castleford (H), before the debacle of this season, would people rather have had the opposition's team or Leeds' to coach? (I might also add Catalans (H) - with 7 of their players unavailable - ooh ooh we had 8/9/10* *delete as applicable). I think most sane-minded know the answer.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: RHINO-MARK "when you read comments this season or previous ones you wont find ANY that blame the Coach for EVERYTHING that went or has gone wrong.'"

Maybe so

Quote: RHINO-MARK "but to sit back & absolve this Coach of any blame imo is wrong'"

Maybe this isn't true either

Personally it's the placing the credit onto Sinfield and Peacock for past success that I find disrespectful and it's only something people jumped on when McDermott himself revealed they did SOME coaching in training and his detractors turned this into they did it ALL.

Also people bringing up his London record to kick him whilst ignoring how badly that club was run as the years passed by and just about any coach would've struggle with that gig under the ownership/management there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2356
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74805_1455211563.gif
[b:3e8ueqvz]I really am rhinoms and haven't stolen his Avatar![/b:3e8ueqvz]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74805.gif

Quote: ThePrinter "Maybe so

Maybe this isn't true either

Personally it's the placing the credit onto Sinfield and Peacock for past success that I find disrespectful and it's only something people jumped on when McDermott himself revealed they did SOME coaching in training and his detractors turned this into they did it ALL.

Also people bringing up his London record to kick him whilst ignoring how badly that club was run as the years passed by and just about any coach would've struggle with that gig under the ownership/management there.'"

I never said Sinny/JP did it all plus it wasn't just jumped on either its a pretty rellevant point to make given A where we are & B.The obvious influence both had.
As for London again i never mentioned it but i will say that the owner backed him with a reasonable SC spend as long as he could.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: RHINO-MARK "I never said Sinny/JP did it all plus it wasn't just jumped on either its a pretty rellevant point to make given A where we are & B.The obvious influence both had.
As for London again i never mentioned it but i will say that the owner backed him with a reasonable SC spend as long as he could.'"

It wasn't said as a personal claim against you, just what has been said in general.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: son of headingley "

My post was in direct reply to Sal but I will address your points anyway.

Quote: son of headingley "Really? '"

Yes. I did say "not so deep" Most of my posts are positive whereas I would say most (not all) of Sal's are negative. I have confined my critical comments to what can be seen by all on the pitch rather than to speculate on what the coach was or wasn't doing in private. And I am not calling for anyone to be sacked from their job.

Quote: son of headingley "Would you like me to dig up your posts on Hardaker - or, indeed in this very post, where you state

I am more than happy for you to quote me on Hardaker. I have been consistent in my opinion over some time and applauded his strengths but pointed out his shortcomings too which others consistently failed to see or ignore. Would you not agree that my critical comments in this case have since been proven to be correct?

Quote: son of headingley "So it's only a problem if the blame is aimed at BMD?'"

No. The difference is that it is the players on the field that are the ones missing tackles, making errors and poor decisions. This is plain for all to see and blame can be apportioned fairly. Why do you consider that when a player misses a tackle or fumbles a pass that this is the fault of the coach? We know from past experience that the coach can do his job but if you take away more than half his team each week on top of losing his long time on-field generals then he is at something of a handicap.

Now I am on record for being critical of the management for the failure to replace the leadership and play making roles of Sinny and JP. IMO had we done that we would be at least mid table now as despite all the problems we have not taken advantage of enough crucial scoring opportunities.

Quote: son of headingley " I know this is aimed at Sal, but as far as I am concerned I do not question his work ethic & that he is frantically trying to solve our current problems. I do, however, question whether he is the man who can put things right - things have got progressively worse, not better.'"

So who is the man you would replace him with then? and explain why this is worth the risk? I disagree that things have got progressively worse not better. I believe they are in direct proportion to the quality that has been available to the coaches for training and selection. Earlier in the season the coach was accused of losing the dressing room and of the team lacking effort. Well in recent times there is clear evidence of effort and the word coming out from the players is of all pulling together in training so surely this is an improvement?

Quote: son of headingley "I am a season ticket holder & attend all home & the occasional away match. I do not believe in booing as it is counterproductive. I do my (very small) part in trying to support & lift the team. Do you? Plus what tvoc said'"

You ask do I play my part. Well I have supported Leeds since the late 50s and was a season ticket holder for 40 years (from a time when you were called members with your name on the seat) right up until I semi retired to Spain. I was a founder committee member of the Headingley Grounds branch of the Supporters Club for several years and went to every home and away game for many, many years. I was a club sponsor in the early 80s and last in 2007 (while in Spain) which has more than paid for my season tickets for another 30 years. While in Spain I have made regular trips back and have attended some memorable games. For 9 years or so I was a junior rugby coach and have management experience of a semi pro side. I see all the games on Sky and view the highlights of all the others so with due respect I think I am as qualified as most to form an opinion on players, managers and coaches.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15511
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43854_1545310668.jpg
HUDDERSFIELD - THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43854.jpg

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "Dont worry fella Ferres and Mullally are now getting used to playing in front of a crowd so will improve soon. After years of playing in front of your silent 200 the switch to Leeds was a bit noisy for them.

Bottom of the league v Catalans and 14k turn up. What did you lot get when you topped the league??? 116 was it???'"

icon_lol.gif

318 posts in 22 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
318 posts in 22 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4091796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Fantastic Mr
10m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
11m