Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69910_1359889558.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69910.jpg

Reading todays League Express Martyn Sadler reveals the break down of sky tv's new deal

in a nutshell

Superleague clubs will get £1,825,000 each per year
The two relegated clubs in 2015 will receive £788,00 and £787,000 respectively

The Championship. The top two this season will receive £550,000 and £500,000 in 2015
Clubs 3 to 12 will then be on a sliding scale income from £200,000 to £150,000

Championship 1 clubs will receive £75,000 each.

For me the gap in funding between 2nd and 3rd in the championship is ridiculous no doubt some will be going all out for the top 2 either way I don't see much hope for championship sides being able to compete in the middle 8 also it seems Championship 1 is simply being cut adrift with exactly the same funding (pittance) as before.

Interestingly though before I saw this I had read this

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/ru ... -1-6413882

SHEFFIELD Eagles coach Mark Aston feels rival Championship clubs have been seduced by the promise of extra money – and predicted some will go bust if they fail in their pursuit of Super League.

The pathway to the elite has been opened up once more with the introduction of a new format in 2015.

With two teams of 12 splitting into three groups of eight after 23 regular rounds, the middle tier play each other in order to decide who plays in Super League the following season.

For ambitious Championship clubs – whose new campaign starts a week Sunday – it creates the annual chance of promotion again after the previously restrictive licence system.

The top four at the end of 2015 will play against the bottom four of Super League to decide who plays where. However, Aston, who has guided Sheffield to Championship Grand Final success in each of the last two seasons, believes it is pure folly.

He argues that clubs only agreed to it after being lured in by the prospect of increased central funding and the realistic chance of being elevated is miniscule.

“I think the other Championship clubs have been bought as they’re all thinking they’ll get more money,” Aston told the Yorkshire Post, with the RFL having just secured another major broadcasting deal with Sky Sports that incorporates the second tier.

“I know I’ll get shot down for this but some of the top-end Championship sides have already bought a team for Super League too.

“If, though, they don’t get in those top two spots – it’s not top four as, remember, two Super League clubs are coming down at the end of this year – then what happens then?

“They are going for broke and, quite simply, if they don’t get in that top two next year, they’ll be bust.

“Other clubs always spend more money than us in this division and I’ve no problem with that.

“But we won’t jeopardise ourselves or risk the club. That’s not our style.

“We’ll stick by our principles and won’t throw stupid money to go for that top two.”

Championship clubs currently get around £100,000 per season from central funds compared to the £1.2m Super League clubs receive.

The RFL hopes to narrow that gap from a 12:1 ratio to 2:1 with the leading Championship club securing around £650,000 and improving their chances of competing.

But Aston countered: “Can you really get the top players with that amount and operate a full-time squad?

“You could perhaps get a few more players in but remember that the Super League clubs are still on double that figure.

“They can kid people however they want about promotion and relegation; unless the financial difference between Super League and Championship clubs gets reduced significantly, I don’t expect any Championship clubs to get promoted.

“It will be very, very difficult for any of them to do that.

“If they do then they will have to invest a lot of money, too, that they have themselves. Do they have that?

“There’s a carrot there but I don’t see it being that big.”

Although the likes of Featherstone Rovers, Halifax and Leigh are all expected to make big pushes to get in that race, Aston insists Sheffield will not deviate from their own plan.

His primary concern is about the potential effect new plans may have on the development of youngsters in the sport.

Although part of the licencing process – which was introduced ahead of 2009 – was to nurture homegrown players, he feels that has not always occurred and new proposals in the RFL’s Policy Review could actually see a cut in academies.

“Clubs have been given money for academies during the years of licensing but – when you look at some – I do wonder where that has gone,” he added.

“I’m fighting to have an Academy here to carry on investing in developing young players like we have been doing.

“But I’m told we won’t have one as the number of academies is being reduced.

“Why are they doing that? Why aren’t we investing in the future? If we don’t then other sports will and rugby union will take these players or the player drain to Australia will get bigger.

“The license system was supposed to be about giving our kids first team rugby and it concerns me it seems to be going the other way.

“Super League used to be about investing in the community and investing in kids but now money is being pulled from the RFL’s community posts and we’re dropping academies.

“At Sheffield, we’re investing money in the future here and, my opinion is, clubs that aren’t doing that should see their central money reduced.”

Sheffield have defied the odds to win the Championship title in each of the last two seasons – coming from fourth and then second – having also been Grand Final runners-up in 2011.

After the demise of Don Valley, they move to Owlerton Stadium this season, kicking off against newly-promoted Rochdale Hornets on February 16 – and have again, strangely, been talked down as potential winners.

“We’ve lost one or two players but we’re used to winning,” said a phlegmatic Aston.

“It’s a good habit to be in. We’ve things to contend with like moving ground but we’ve kept the nucleus of our squad and we’re pretty confident we’re going to have another good year.

“Over the last two years nobody mentioned Sheffield until we went on and won it and that’s great. It suits us fine.”

He concedes he has allowed some quality to depart in the shape of Vinny Finigan (Batley), Nev Morrison (Doncaster) and Pat Smith (York).

But his holistic approach comes through once more when he explains: “For their own personal development as rugby league players, it just isn’t right to have them sat on their backsides here.

“I could have kept them but couldn’t guarantee them first-team football and they need that.

“I love blokes like Vinny Finigan, Nev Morrison and Pat Smith but, at 23 and 24 years old, they can’t just be playing six games a season.

“They should be playing week in, week out and they should get that now elsewhere.

“Some clubs are running with 30 players but we’ll have 22 and we’ve promoted some of our kids into the first-team squad.

“We’re happy with what we’ve got and I’ll add if the right player comes up but there’s no panic here.

Thoughts?
Reading todays League Express Martyn Sadler reveals the break down of sky tv's new deal

in a nutshell

Superleague clubs will get £1,825,000 each per year
The two relegated clubs in 2015 will receive £788,00 and £787,000 respectively

The Championship. The top two this season will receive £550,000 and £500,000 in 2015
Clubs 3 to 12 will then be on a sliding scale income from £200,000 to £150,000

Championship 1 clubs will receive £75,000 each.

For me the gap in funding between 2nd and 3rd in the championship is ridiculous no doubt some will be going all out for the top 2 either way I don't see much hope for championship sides being able to compete in the middle 8 also it seems Championship 1 is simply being cut adrift with exactly the same funding (pittance) as before.

Interestingly though before I saw this I had read this

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/ru ... -1-6413882

SHEFFIELD Eagles coach Mark Aston feels rival Championship clubs have been seduced by the promise of extra money – and predicted some will go bust if they fail in their pursuit of Super League.

The pathway to the elite has been opened up once more with the introduction of a new format in 2015.

With two teams of 12 splitting into three groups of eight after 23 regular rounds, the middle tier play each other in order to decide who plays in Super League the following season.

For ambitious Championship clubs – whose new campaign starts a week Sunday – it creates the annual chance of promotion again after the previously restrictive licence system.

The top four at the end of 2015 will play against the bottom four of Super League to decide who plays where. However, Aston, who has guided Sheffield to Championship Grand Final success in each of the last two seasons, believes it is pure folly.

He argues that clubs only agreed to it after being lured in by the prospect of increased central funding and the realistic chance of being elevated is miniscule.

“I think the other Championship clubs have been bought as they’re all thinking they’ll get more money,” Aston told the Yorkshire Post, with the RFL having just secured another major broadcasting deal with Sky Sports that incorporates the second tier.

“I know I’ll get shot down for this but some of the top-end Championship sides have already bought a team for Super League too.

“If, though, they don’t get in those top two spots – it’s not top four as, remember, two Super League clubs are coming down at the end of this year – then what happens then?

“They are going for broke and, quite simply, if they don’t get in that top two next year, they’ll be bust.

“Other clubs always spend more money than us in this division and I’ve no problem with that.

“But we won’t jeopardise ourselves or risk the club. That’s not our style.

“We’ll stick by our principles and won’t throw stupid money to go for that top two.”

Championship clubs currently get around £100,000 per season from central funds compared to the £1.2m Super League clubs receive.

The RFL hopes to narrow that gap from a 12:1 ratio to 2:1 with the leading Championship club securing around £650,000 and improving their chances of competing.

But Aston countered: “Can you really get the top players with that amount and operate a full-time squad?

“You could perhaps get a few more players in but remember that the Super League clubs are still on double that figure.

“They can kid people however they want about promotion and relegation; unless the financial difference between Super League and Championship clubs gets reduced significantly, I don’t expect any Championship clubs to get promoted.

“It will be very, very difficult for any of them to do that.

“If they do then they will have to invest a lot of money, too, that they have themselves. Do they have that?

“There’s a carrot there but I don’t see it being that big.”

Although the likes of Featherstone Rovers, Halifax and Leigh are all expected to make big pushes to get in that race, Aston insists Sheffield will not deviate from their own plan.

His primary concern is about the potential effect new plans may have on the development of youngsters in the sport.

Although part of the licencing process – which was introduced ahead of 2009 – was to nurture homegrown players, he feels that has not always occurred and new proposals in the RFL’s Policy Review could actually see a cut in academies.

“Clubs have been given money for academies during the years of licensing but – when you look at some – I do wonder where that has gone,” he added.

“I’m fighting to have an Academy here to carry on investing in developing young players like we have been doing.

“But I’m told we won’t have one as the number of academies is being reduced.

“Why are they doing that? Why aren’t we investing in the future? If we don’t then other sports will and rugby union will take these players or the player drain to Australia will get bigger.

“The license system was supposed to be about giving our kids first team rugby and it concerns me it seems to be going the other way.

“Super League used to be about investing in the community and investing in kids but now money is being pulled from the RFL’s community posts and we’re dropping academies.

“At Sheffield, we’re investing money in the future here and, my opinion is, clubs that aren’t doing that should see their central money reduced.”

Sheffield have defied the odds to win the Championship title in each of the last two seasons – coming from fourth and then second – having also been Grand Final runners-up in 2011.

After the demise of Don Valley, they move to Owlerton Stadium this season, kicking off against newly-promoted Rochdale Hornets on February 16 – and have again, strangely, been talked down as potential winners.

“We’ve lost one or two players but we’re used to winning,” said a phlegmatic Aston.

“It’s a good habit to be in. We’ve things to contend with like moving ground but we’ve kept the nucleus of our squad and we’re pretty confident we’re going to have another good year.

“Over the last two years nobody mentioned Sheffield until we went on and won it and that’s great. It suits us fine.”

He concedes he has allowed some quality to depart in the shape of Vinny Finigan (Batley), Nev Morrison (Doncaster) and Pat Smith (York).

But his holistic approach comes through once more when he explains: “For their own personal development as rugby league players, it just isn’t right to have them sat on their backsides here.

“I could have kept them but couldn’t guarantee them first-team football and they need that.

“I love blokes like Vinny Finigan, Nev Morrison and Pat Smith but, at 23 and 24 years old, they can’t just be playing six games a season.

“They should be playing week in, week out and they should get that now elsewhere.

“Some clubs are running with 30 players but we’ll have 22 and we’ve promoted some of our kids into the first-team squad.

“We’re happy with what we’ve got and I’ll add if the right player comes up but there’s no panic here.

Thoughts?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8044
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Mark always speaks a lot of common sense .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45460_1403798981.jpg
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45460.jpg

By "top two", I'm assuming we mean Grand Finalists - until I'm told different.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I understand it will be top two from league placings as a fairer method

RankPostsTeam
International Star381
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69910_1359889558.jpg

yes it will be top two league placings not grand finalists

RankPostsTeam
International Star1169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Also without a calculator the distribution of guns above equates to £27m which is much lower than the alleged deal number which doesn't include other incomes
I was informed that the top four would be financed for 2015 and seems well within the income to do so?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45460_1403798981.jpg
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45460.jpg

Quote: Nostradamus's lad "I understand it will be top two from league placings as a fairer method'"

Interesting - a complete departure from the ethos we've had for the past umpteen years then.

Not sure how it's "fairer", Nossy ......

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45460_1403798981.jpg

Quote: Duckzilla "yes it will be top two league placings not grand finalists'"

Sadler says "first and second in the Championship". I take that to mean Champions and runners-up, ie. the two Grand Finalists.

RankPostsTeam
International Star381
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69910_1359889558.jpg

Quote: Nostradamus's lad "Also without a calculator the distribution of guns above equates to £27m which is much lower than the alleged deal number which doesn't include other incomes
I was informed that the top four would be financed for 2015 and seems well within the income to do so?'"

A couple of bits I left out (which I probably shouldn't of done)

£20,043,000 will be for Challenge cup and international coverage and £17,800,000 will go to clubs for coaching and club charitable foundations

RankPostsTeam
International Star381
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69910_1359889558.jpg

Quote: griff1998 "Sadler says "first and second in the Championship". I take that to mean Champions and runners-up, ie. the two Grand Finalists.'"

Not sure then I read it as the top 2

"The clubs that finish first and second in the Championship this year will receive £550,000 and £500,00 respectively in 2015.
Clubs 3 to 12 will then be on a sliding scale of income from £200,000 to £150,000."

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45460_1403798981.jpg

Quote: Duckzilla "Not sure then I read it as the top 2

"The clubs that finish first and second in the Championship this year will receive £550,000 and £500,000 respectively in 2015.
Clubs 3 to 12 will then be on a sliding scale of income from £200,000 to £150,000."'"

Exactly, Zilla.

Sheffield were first in the Championship last year, Batley second. They'd've been the teams on the big money if this was in place last year.

That's my interpretation until it's clarified.

It would be a complete volte face for the RFL to offer bigger prize money for winning the league than the Grand Final.

RankPostsTeam
International Star381
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Jan 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69910_1359889558.jpg

I hope it is for the Grand final, We love playoffs icon_biggrin.gifANCE:

But I would read that as the top 2 league placings

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45460_1403798981.jpg

Well, no doubt we'll see.

Sadler's article is ambiguous.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50297_1331032979.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1cnwwu6w]"WE MUST HAVE COME IN A TAXI!"[/color:1cnwwu6w] [color=#FF0000:1cnwwu6w]Sheffield Eagles - 2012 & 2013 Championship CHAMPIONS #backtoback[/color:1cnwwu6w] [color=#0000FF:1cnwwu6w]Sheffield Wednesday FC - THIS CITY IS OURS[/color:1cnwwu6w] Twitter: @JamesWhaling:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50297.jpg

First and second as I understand it.

Personally think that's the right way to go, too.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5159
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45460_1403798981.jpg

Quote: E.S.O "First and second as I understand it.

Personally think that's the right way to go, too.'"

First and second in what ? icon_biggrin.gifOH:

Eh dear - young people today ....... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I asked ........ and it's first and second in the league table, not the Championship - Sadler's got it wrong.

I can't see that making any sort of sense. We've spent 15 years promoting a Grand Final culture, only to say now that it plays second fiddle to the league table.

68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
ComeOnYouUll
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM