Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9199_1368286443.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9199.jpg

Quote: Jake the Peg "Long enough to know that for the vast majority of your clubs existence, they have finished below Hull in whatever league was around at the time. if you don't believe it go look it up'"

In my lifetime (50 years) Rovers have certanly finished higher then Hull on more occasions then not, particualy dominating form the mid 60's (when I first started going) to the mid 80's.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1853No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: fallon's jaw "supported hull Fc for 36yrs i don't travel away but havn't missed many home games and in my time never had a crowd of 900
Without delving in to the history books i cant give you an exact year but i believe it was sometime during the mid seventies, it was a bit of a standing joke in later years because no matter which Hull fan you would talk to, they would all claim that they were one of those 900.
I will endevour to find out the exact year for you when i speak to my good friend who is a little older than me and a hull fc fannatic, im sure he will be able to assist.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1508No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
57568_1334000514.jpg
[img:2pcx3msc]http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/7529993577759154018[/img:2pcx3msc]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_57568.jpg

FFS - I was hoping this was going to turn into the vs Bradford Match Thread Part Two
Mild Rover, Sky defeats should always be met with an official trolling thread

Compared to some of the other dross we've served up on Sky, this up there. Still, what'ya guna do ...
Bradford were at their most dangerous when we where attacking their 20. As some have already stated, our last tackle plays were poor.
Dobson's general kicking, be it from pressure or not - was very poor. We were in control for the large part, but then lost all direction and composure after the Lovegrove video ref decision. Sandercock has mentioned previously how we need to see games out - so he must be furious after watching that capitulation.

Our left side fell to bits with the inj combo of Welham/Dobson and Bradford soon started to realise this. Once Horne went off, that was it.
Welham soldiered on as he did, but hardly looked mobile. Shannon was solid enough and Josh Hodgeson was impressive again.
Very disappointing

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12260
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33934.gif
BLACK AND WHITES East is East,West is West, and never the twain shall meet. -------------------------------- "I" said the sparrow "With my bow and arrow.":33934.gif

Quote: bishops finger "Defence? What's that ......'"

Its what Rovers fans do when us Hull fans have a go at you about losing.. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20187.jpg
I couldn't hear the robin sing if not for you.:20187.jpg

I must admit I was very disappointed after the game especially with our defensive effort.

We were bad but watching again on SKY + not quite as bad as I thought. A stat came up after 59 mins of missed tackles Rovers 9 Bradford 18 which I must say did surprise me. Of course we did miss a fair few after that don't know what the final tally was. Also as ever not nearly enough credit is given to the opposition, Bradford could easily have caved in but they didn't and produced a tremendous finish to the game.

The opening salvo from Rovers was quite brilliant with the commentators telling us what a great season us Rovers fans had to look forward to! You could see why too, it was the best rugby Rovers have ever produced in Super League. Trouble is when you start red hot at 100 mph it inevitably burns out and that is what seemed to happen to Rovers. We don't want to lose that kind of intensity and energy but somehow you have to marry it with a little patience and be always prepared for the inevitable period when the opposition have more of the ball. That's the biggest lesson from the Bradford game IMO.

There is a lot of ability in the Rovers team IMO and we just need to get everyone working as a unit defensively and also being a bit more alert to potential danger. Sandercock is obviously working on this and I feel the players are still a little unfamiliar with new defensive systems.

Some Hull fans have commented that they have new defensive structures too and haven't struggled in the same manner. That's fair comment but IMO Hull had a much better defence than Rovers to start with. And there is no doubt Rovers are playing a far more expansive game under Sandercock sometimes it breaks down and we seem to not be alert enough to the easy metres teams are making after picking up loose ball.

Also we have to accept that Sandercock himself is in unfamiliar territory there is a world of difference between being an assistant and a head coach not least in the pressure that comes with the job as I am sure he is finding out. It's no different for Gentle but at least he started with a defence that was already the 5th best in Super League in 2011. Hull's main problem last year was predictability on attack and I see no step change as yet but why would there be? If you could make everything perfect after 5 games coaching would be a very easy job indeed.

Sandercock is an extremely intelligent man with a vast knowledge of Rugby League and the man is a workaholic. He will not rest until he gets it right and I wouldn't worry about his slightly awkward way with the media. Who cares? Watch him on Hull KR TV he's fine. I dare say in all his years at Manly & Newcastle nobody interviewed him once and certainly not to explain away a disapponting defeat. That's what Head Coaches are for but really being good in front of a microphone simply means that people like Morgan & McRae are better actors.

Rovers are now an exciting team with exciting players but we all know you have to defend. We couldn't do this well enough last year and 6 games haven't been long enough to resolve it. Probably with new systems to take on board we are if anything a little worse. Sometimes you have to go backwards before you can go forwards.

Things can soon turn around look at Widnes beating Wigan today who'd have thought it? Last week Betts was blaming things on his players having cold hands and was ridiculed. Now we find that Rovers rotten defence nilled the team that's put 37 past Wigan.

With Catalans away coming up next and then Huddersfield, Rovers have an opportunity to follow the example of Widnes. We were under the radar before the Bradford game now we have crash landed. But I still say Rovers are going to surprise a lot of people as the season progresses, most of you I imagine will disagree.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1863No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25872.jpg
:25872.jpg

Quote: His Bobness "I must admit I was very disappointed after the game especially with our defensive effort.

We were bad but watching again on SKY + not quite as bad as I thought. A stat came up after 59 mins of missed tackles Rovers 9 Bradford 18 which I must say did surprise me. Of course we did miss a fair few after that don't know what the final tally was. Also as ever not nearly enough credit is given to the opposition, Bradford could easily have caved in but they didn't and produced a tremendous finish to the game.

The opening salvo from Rovers was quite brilliant with the commentators telling us what a great season us Rovers fans had to look forward to! You could see why too, it was the best rugby Rovers have ever produced in Super League. Trouble is when you start red hot at 100 mph it inevitably burns out and that is what seemed to happen to Rovers. We don't want to lose that kind of intensity and energy but somehow you have to marry it with a little patience and be always prepared for the inevitable period when the opposition have more of the ball. That's the biggest lesson from the Bradford game IMO.

There is a lot of ability in the Rovers team IMO and we just need to get everyone working as a unit defensively and also being a bit more alert to potential danger. Sandercock is obviously working on this and I feel the players are still a little unfamiliar with new defensive systems.

Some Hull fans have commented that they have new defensive structures too and haven't struggled in the same manner. That's fair comment but IMO Hull had a much better defence than Rovers to start with. And there is no doubt Rovers are playing a far more expansive game under Sandercock sometimes it breaks down and we seem to not be alert enough to the easy metres teams are making after picking up loose ball.

Also we have to accept that Sandercock himself is in unfamiliar territory there is a world of difference between being an assistant and a head coach not least in the pressure that comes with the job as I am sure he is finding out. It's no different for Gentle but at least he started with a defence that was already the 5th best in Super League in 2011. Hull's main problem last year was predictability on attack and I see no step change as yet but why would there be? If you could make everything perfect after 5 games coaching would be a very easy job indeed.

Sandercock is an extremely intelligent man with a vast knowledge of Rugby League and the man is a workaholic. He will not rest until he gets it right and I wouldn't worry about his slightly awkward way with the media. Who cares? Watch him on Hull KR TV he's fine. I dare say in all his years at Manly & Newcastle nobody interviewed him once and certainly not to explain away a disapponting defeat. That's what Head Coaches are for but really being good in front of a microphone simply means that people like Morgan & McRae are better actors.

Rovers are now an exciting team with exciting players but we all know you have to defend. We couldn't do this well enough last year and 6 games haven't been long enough to resolve it. Probably with new systems to take on board we are if anything a little worse. Sometimes you have to go backwards before you can go forwards.

Things can soon turn around look at Widnes beating Wigan today who'd have thought it? Last week Betts was blaming things on his players having cold hands and was ridiculed. Now we find that Rovers rotten defence nilled the team that's put 37 past Wigan.

With Catalans away coming up next and then Huddersfield, Rovers have an opportunity to follow the example of Widnes. We were under the radar before the Bradford game now we have crash landed. But I still say Rovers are going to surprise a lot of people as the season progresses, most of you I imagine will disagree.'"

In a word; EXACTLY! I think most are being very dramatic about last night. You have, quite literally put into words, my exact point of view. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1863No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25872.jpg

Quote: His Bobness "I must admit I was very disappointed after the game especially with our defensive effort.

With Catalans away coming up next and then Huddersfield, Rovers have an opportunity to follow the example of Widnes. We were under the radar before the Bradford game now we have crash landed. But I still say Rovers are going to surprise a lot of people as the season progresses, most of you I imagine will disagree.'"

In a word; EXACTLY! I think most are being very dramatic about last night. You have, quite literally put into words, my exact point of view. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1863No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25872.jpg

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20187.jpg
I couldn't hear the robin sing if not for you.:20187.jpg

Quote: fallon's jaw "supported hull Fc for 36yrs i don't travel away but havn't missed many home games and in my time never had a crowd of 900
Bet you think you beat us at Wembley too! Bless.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach30147
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: tiger2000 "In my lifetime (50 years) Rovers have certanly finished higher then Hull on more occasions then not, particualy dominating form the mid 60's (when I first started going) to the mid 80's.'"

OK, post me the stats for where each has finished for the last 50 years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8599No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16627.jpg
:16627.jpg

I'm sure its in a Rothmans year book or email Bill Dalton.
Are the years that they weren't in the same division classed as finishing higher or just the ones in which they were for the purposes of this dispute.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1288No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

eastul105 wrote lets be fair Mickey Paea is too good for us.:

Quote: Seventies red "You must be a newcomer to the game if thats what you think, seventies red if you are struggling to find the info on your TREBLE year could you let us know and maybe some other rovers fans might be able to help
what year?
what trophies constitute the treble?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7348
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45295_1698513085.jpg
once a black and white always a black and white COYH:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45295.jpg

70s red your right, there was around 900 at fc game against huyton late 60s early 70s i think,

RankPostsTeam
International Star1288No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2017Feb 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

eastul105 wrote lets be fair Mickey Paea is too good for us.:

Quote: hull2524 "70s red your right, there was around 900 at fc game against huyton late 60s early 70s i think,'"

it was the early seventies,my parents were there

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach999No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Apr 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4637-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg
:icons3ae4_files/4637-1859san_c-msnicons.jpg

a sensible one from divoz, well done

66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, R.B.A , Anakin Skywalker , Mild Rover
66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, R.B.A , Anakin Skywalker , Mild Rover

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.32177734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC