Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

In the 1950s and 1960s there were very few things for people to do with their leisure time. Sporting activities were at the top of people's list of very few options.

Nowadays, competition for people's time and money is huge. It's difficult to get noticed and for the most part not cheap to get noticed. The bottom line for all businesses is that if you don't get noticed, you will suffer a decline in your business.

As a club, we need to look at what is cheap but may be effective. As Weighman said, we don't have a lot of cash to throw at the problem.

Posters in shops around town seems like a must do, as Geoff mentioned. I'd even consider giving shopkeepers a commission for selling tickets which in effect encourages them to become sales agents for the club.

As a one off, I'd allow all Rovers season ticket holders into a Dons game for nothing - possibly the Sheffield game. If they won't come for nothing, we know we're wasting our time targeting them in future.

If they do come, we can work on them further to convert them into long-term, paying spectators.

The Swindon double-header was a complete flop last year but that doesn't mean we should give up on the hope of getting some Rovers fans through our turnstiles. After all, we know they are prepared to pay to watch sport, which is probably something that the majority of Doncaster folk aren't prepared to do.

Improve links with supermarkets. Most Donny folk will visit one at some time. It's in the business interest of the supermarkets to be seen to be supporting local communities. We need to use this to our advantage.

As Donny hkr mentioned, on our side of town in Intake, we see nothing about the Dons. We have to reach out to the people, we can no longer rely on people finding us. Let's get some posters up in the out of town areas too.

Give pubs half a dozen free tickets to use as prizes for their pub quizzes on the condition they put up a matchday poster for us.

I'm sure we can come up with lots more ideas that might work. We need to try as many as possible because we don't have a magic wand that tells us whether any will work or not, but collectively they ought to do some good.

I'm sure the club have tried lots of things that we're not aware of, and Ray Green probably shakes his head in despair because the people of Donny don't turn out, but we need to keep trying ... because the Dons are in all our hearts and we want to see them succeed!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1116No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I live in Westwoodside and it's still the 1960s out here! But seriously i know we come under North Lincs but you wouldn't know the Dons existed out here, even though we're not really that far away. Axholme is an untapped area for support. Why not send a batch of free tickets out to the pubs in Westwoodside, Haxey and Epworth. Surely there's nothing to lose?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2216
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6027.gif
:6027.gif

Plenty of opportunities around Doncaster for free of cheap advertising.

I work at the college, and there is nothing about The Dons upcoming games despite two of the college staff being first team regulars.

As others have mentioned supermarkets are a good way to capture people, as are buses and the bus station.

At the moment the club is good at informing the converted, but they need to start reaching out to those who never thought of Rugby League match as something they would want to watch. Its not just about getting old fans back its about attracting new fans and families.

We have a couple of home games left, how about a kids go free policy (ie under 12's). Give them a signed program from the match and their photo taken with the squad. Costs very little but can grow an interest in young minds.

The club has to do a bit of a carrot and a stick trick to get people in offer them something beyond just a match.

Face painting at games, there are several out there who will attend for free and just take donations for a charity of their choice, again a way to get the kids interested.

DM's idea of giving shop keepers a small commission for selling tickets its great it means there is something in it for them.

My personal reason for not attending the games is pricing £15 to get in £2 for a program and £4 to park (buses would cost me more as I'd need to catch 2) for and hour and a half's entertainment for me on my own. To contrast that me and my wife went to the cinema on Saturday night (which I also feel is overpriced) but for us both to see a recent film and partake in some refreshments it came to under £25 for the pair of us for 2 hours entertainment.

Money is tight for many people in Doncaster we are not an affluent town on the whole I feel that the pricing structure of the clubs (Dons, Knights, Rovers) needs to reflect this. Doesn't just have to be cheaper prices offers like Family tickets, Buy one get one half price deals, discounts for those on benefits/pensions all can put extra bums on seats, but the most important thing about any of these offers is that they TELL PEOPLE outside of the already interested Rugby fans.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator17977
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2911.jpg
:2911.jpg

Having spoke to a lot of people on this there are two main issues at play:

Firstly, there are a lot of other things to do nowadays that we (and everyone else) has to compete with, and plenty of stuff which is pretty much free.

Secondly, the price, £15 was a step too far for a lot of people, particularly those who may have only just got the bug back last year.

The Season Ticket offer is fantastic, but no-one is going to spend £120 on anything as a first investment without having been for a season or so first so is no good for getting new people in

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1116No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The Knights only charge a tenner to stand on the terrace for a League game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Could the club look at mini season tickets like football clubs do? So perhaps supporters over the year can buy a ticket mid season.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator17977
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2911.jpg

Quote: rupert bear "The Knights only charge a tenner to stand on the terrace for a League game.'"

I'll charge you £5 to watch my grass grow

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1116No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jemmo "I'll charge you £5 to watch my grass grow'"

That's as may be, but they can still attract two or three times more people to watch their grass grow than the Dons are pulling in for a league game. The point i am making is it is an affordable price for watching a professional sports team regardless of your opinion of that particular sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3493
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

Jemmo's right. The season ticket offer is great but it's not going to get new people to come down.

The cost of getting into games is obviously a critical factor - both for fans and the Dons. The Dons have to make a judgement as to where to pitch the pricing levels.

If dropping prices to £10 would double the attendances, it would be a good move, but if it made no difference, it would be a disaster.

We should certainly get some posters put up at the college, as Geoff says.

With communications from DonsNews, the club has improved relations with current fans considerably and we are certainly better informed than previously.

The area that we're not making any headway is with match day attendances.

Can DonsNews tell us if there is a marking plan at the moment, and which of our suggestions the club think could be taken on board?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8045
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

When we had a lottery , the agent used to drop posters off.
With todays improved technology may be fans who are willing could download a poster . May be an idea for next season !
There have been some good ideas , but they need people to help the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1304No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64156_1430988287.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64156.gif

Isn't it the same price at castle park to sit, ie: £15?, im sure if there was a standing area at the keepmoat it would also be cheaper. And the terrace isn't covered , so you are open to the elements. If i were to go there i would pay to sit anyway, that's my preference , so would be no difference for me. As it is the Dons play in an all seater stadium, so unless something happens to change that, can't really see a price drop. As has been said season ticket offer was fantastic, less than a tenner for a game, nobody could complain at that. But yes first you have to get people there for interest to grow. No easy solution to that one.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator17977
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2911.jpg

Quote: rupert bear "That's as may be, but they can still attract two or three times more people to watch their grass grow than the Dons are pulling in for a league game. The point i am making is it is an affordable price for watching a professional sports team regardless of your opinion of that particular sport.'"

By that token, the prices at the Rovers are twice ours and their attendance are 5-6 times so we should double our price.

My point is, when comparing apples with oranges there is whole range of factors

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2216
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6027.gif
:6027.gif

Football is a much more mainstream and well supported sport than either code of Rugby, not just in Doncaster I mean across the UK.

The comparisons between the Knights and the Dons are valid in my eyes.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator17977
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2911.jpg

Quote: SteveRoebuck "Football is a much more mainstream and well supported sport than either code of Rugby, not just in Doncaster I mean across the UK.

The comparisons between the Knights and the Dons are valid in my eyes.'"

I'd say they're closer related, but it's still not the same. Rugby Union gains most of its following from its Old Boys networks and the media outlets they run generating national interest. League has not, and probably never will have, that same level of presence in the main stream culture.

The only like for like comparison you can do is compare how attendances this year, with our attendances last year, and the year before that. Every club, in every sport has their own "micro-climate" around them which is unique to them

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4112
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[b:34z93omz][url=http://www.donsstats.co.uk:34z93omz]http://www.donsstats.co.uk[/url:34z93omz][/b:34z93omz] - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day. [b:34z93omz][color=#000000:34z93omz]"Lost the battle, lost the war Lost the things worth living for Lost the will to win the fight One more pill to kill the pain"[/color:34z93omz][/b:34z93omz] - Michael Burnett:

From my point of view, its obvious that attendances across the board at all levels of RL are lower than they have been for a long time. Now, is it financial, or is it just apathy from supporters who are showing their disdain for the wider product on offer?

I think we're always looking at ways of increasing support, and to be honest, the product on offer on the pitch from the Dons over the last couple of seasons has been worthy of extra fans, and I feel that people are beginning to notice this.

Its not helped with the fact that possibly the biggest match, gate wise, this season, Featherstone, was played on a Thursday night, and put on TV, so theres always other ways we can look at it.

64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0458984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Irregular Ho
31m