FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Doncaster RLFC > Fans committee meeting.
36 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
International Star3491
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

Quote: weighman "If C1 is split in 2 , would probably have to play each other 3 times.

I would get rid of the League Cup & play each other twice.

You know it mkes sense , about time the clubs stood upto the RFL .'"

I agree we need to knock the League Cup on the head. I was looking at the structure of the different leagues the other day. The Super League start in the first week of February with their Grand Final around 10th October. There are 36 weeks between the start and end date.

Super League teams play 23 games in the first part of the season (everyone home and away plus the Magic Weekend). They play 7 more games in the Super 8s bringing the total to 30. They have two more games if they get to the Grand Final, plus the Challenge cup which could be another 4 games. They have an off-season of 16 weeks.

We need to consider the players' welfare at our level as they're not full-time but we also have to play enough home games for fans to stay interested otherwise people find something else to do on a Sunday.

If Championship One was split into two leagues of eight and we played each other home and away twice, it would produce a 28 game season. There could then be a play-off semi-final and a final; that would give 30 games. We could also realistically have two Challenge cup matches, possibly three. That would bring the total to 32 or 33 games. That would be 32 or 33 games in a 36 week season, if we started and finished at the same time as Super League.

Championship sides have a 32 or 33 game season. They play 23 games (including summer bash) plus seven more after the league splits. They have two or possibly three Challenge cup games as well, bringing their total to 32 or 33 games.

Surely we could have a season that involves the same number of games as the Championship. It would mean getting rid of the iPro Cup to accommodate it.

Keep the format simple: Have an 8 team league with everyone playing each other home and away twice; ditch the iPro cup.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50774.jpg

Yes, that would make sense DM but I would have P & R of at least one club between the new C1 & C2. I have to admit I was happy to support the present system at the start of this season but now I see the problems it causes. It's true the present system isn't great though could we expect the Canadian side to start in C2 ? I would imagine any such plan would start the season after they gain promotion to the Championship.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3491
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Quote: sanjunien "Yes, that would make sense DM but I would have P & R of at least one club between the new C1 & C2. I have to admit I was happy to support the present system at the start of this season but now I see the problems it causes. It's true the present system isn't great though could we expect the Canadian side to start in C2 ? I would imagine any such plan would start the season after they gain promotion to the Championship.'"

I agree there would have to be a promotion and relegation structure between Championship 1 and Championship 2 but the initial problem we're trying to resolve is to create a league season that will provide interest amongst fans and win back the supporters we're presently losing, before the game dies.

I take quite a tough line with new clubs. They all have to start at the bottom and work their way up. Just because they're called Toronto and potentially have a fat bank balance doesn't mean we should do them any favours. All clubs should have to prove they deserve promotion through on-field performances, not by declaring intent.

What would the criteria be for deciding which league a new team would start in? It's a smoke filled room job, with politics ruling the day. I don't like that idea. promotion by merit is the only way.

I hope John Scarrow and the other chairmen are getting to work on this issue. I don't know whether any changes to this crazy league can be made for next season but a proper plan needs to be sorted and put into place as soon as possible.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1304No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64156_1430988287.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64156.gif

I would be very surprised to see any changes for next season, keeping the format for next season suits Toronto, as it did Toulouse this one, in minimising travel costs, which if you believe what is said, they are paying for the costs of the other clubs travel etc, personally I don't, I have not a doubt in my mind that it will change the season after, cynical I know, but that is how rugby league has got me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3243
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why can't it be that at the end of the normal league season in all three leagues that at the very least the team that finishes top of there division are automatically promoted to the higher division & the team that finishes at the bottom of there division are relegated to the division below them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1304No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64156_1430988287.gif

Quote: GeoffRoebuck "Why can't it be that at the end of the normal league season in all three leagues that at the very least the team that finishes top of there division are automatically promoted to the higher division & the team that finishes at the bottom of there division are relegated to the division below them.'"

Don't talk daft man,.the Rfl don't do common sense

RankPostsTeam
Moderator97860No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif
:Fish/PDT_Fish_35.gif

There has to be a change soon before supporters are permanently driven away.

As I have commented on other threads, as a result of the crazy fixture set-up which means that potentially more than a third of the matches paid for as part of the season ticket are a lottery, I have already missed two home play off games.

The net result of that is that I am unlikely to purchase a season ticket next season through no fault of the Club I support. Reading some of the comments of this forum, I am not alone. Multiply that club by club and what you end up with is less people committed to attending rugby league on a regular basis.

It then becomes a slippery slope for attendances, as the more people do not commit to a season's worth of home games, the bigger the temptation to miss fixtures not already paid for when other choices present themselves especially if the team you follow isn't winning games.

For me, without a return to a set of fixtures that are at least 90% known at the outset, the RFL and the Clubs risk permanently losing supporters to our great game.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3491
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Quote: GeoffRoebuck "Why can't it be that at the end of the normal league season in all three leagues that at the very least the team that finishes top of there division are automatically promoted to the higher division & the team that finishes at the bottom of there division are relegated to the division below them.'"

I believe the team that finishes top of Super League should be crowned Champions. I don't agree with the Grand Final concept. I believe the teams that have proven themselves best throughout the season should be recognised as the best team. There are a number of reasons why the RFL won't change their present way of thinking though on the various issues. We can split the issues down into three areas:

1) Having a Grand Final in Super League creates commercial interest that keeps fans interested in the competition until the last kick of the last match of the season. Do away with the Grand Final and things would peter out once the league champions have been decided. In a close season, the race could go down to the last couple of games but in a more one-sided season everything could end early. I do not believe the Grand Final concept will not change. It suits Sky TV too.

2) Automatic Super League promotion and relegation. The class gap between the Super League teams and the teams in the Championship grew to huge levels where the promoted team was simply out of their depth. This was mainly due to the full-time versus part-time nature of the game at the two levels. Automatic promotion and relegation didn't work. Until the RFL funding of clubs means that teams at the top of the Championship get almost as much in funding from the RFL as the bottom teams in Super League, this class gap will remain. "The Million Pound Game" says it all. If that is the difference between being in Super League and the Championship, Championship clubs will find it hard to catch up with the Super League teams.

The Middle Eights concept is an interesting one where ability levels of the two leagues can be directly compared. Leigh have been an outstanding team over the last couple of seasons. They may be good enough to bridge that gap but for the most part teams at the top of the Championship are still a long way behind Super League level. Would it be good for the game if Batley or Featherstone had been top of the Championship pile and got automatic promotion? They'd be having cricket scores against them every week.

Bridging the gap between part-time and full-time clubs is huge. Until the RFL can be sure that the best in the Championship will be able to compete with the Super League clubs automatic promotion and relegation won’t return

3) Promotion rules from Championship 1 to the Championship. The issue here is whether the teams that finish first and second in Championship 1 should be promoted automatically or whether there should be a play-off system to decide which teams go up. From a fairness point of view, I believe the teams that finish first and second should go up.
If that were the case, the interest in the season could end early with quite a lot of meaningless end of season games. The current method keeps everyone interested for longer.

How harsh would it be if Toulouse were to hit by an injury crisis at the end of the season and didn’t get promoted because they lost two matches? It would be totally unfair. They fully deserve to go up. I don’t like the way the current system works but I can understand the RFLs reasons for doing it.

I can’t understand why the RFL should want to continue with the ridiculous design of Championship 1 as it will drive more and more people away from the game very quickly. I guess nothing will change for next season as the arrangements for Toronto’s arrival will have been put in place. Something concrete needs to be sorted for the 2018 season or else we might not have any fans left if we don’t get out of this league.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3491
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Quote: Wanderer "There has to be a change soon before supporters are permanently driven away.

As I have commented on other threads, as a result of the crazy fixture set-up which means that potentially more than a third of the matches paid for as part of the season ticket are a lottery, I have already missed two home play off games.

The net result of that is that I am unlikely to purchase a season ticket next season through no fault of the Club I support. Reading some of the comments of this forum, I am not alone. Multiply that club by club and what you end up with is less people committed to attending rugby league on a regular basis.

It then becomes a slippery slope for attendances, as the more people do not commit to a season's worth of home games, the bigger the temptation to miss fixtures not already paid for when other choices present themselves especially if the team you follow isn't winning games.

For me, without a return to a set of fixtures that are at least 90% known at the outset, the RFL and the Clubs risk permanently losing supporters to our great game.'"

Rugby League can’t afford to lose any fans. The current arrangement of getting short notice for home fixtures is poor. Watching rugby is a habit. A season ticket keeps people in the habit. Once you get out of the habit, other things start to take priority on a Sunday. As we’ve seen on here, quite a lot of people have walked away and don’t miss it. This is one of the reasons why I fear for the game: supporters need to be respected and not taken for granted.

Have an eight team league with everyone playing each other home and away twice. All the fixture dates can be sorted for the full season before a ball is kicked. We’d have a really good competitive competition that more people would want to see; season ticket sales would go up.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5506No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50774_1329287946.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50774.jpg

Quite agree DM but I don't imagine the RFL will change anything before the Canadians have had a season to get to the Championship. I can imagine this proviso, rightly or wrongly would have been given to the club. I'm sure Jihn and the other chairmen will be in complete agreement to two leagues of eight as you say but it won't happen in time for next season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3491
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Quote: sanjunien "Quite agree DM but I don't imagine the RFL will change anything before the Canadians have had a season to get to the Championship. I can imagine this proviso, rightly or wrongly would have been given to the club. I'm sure Jihn and the other chairmen will be in complete agreement to two leagues of eight as you say but it won't happen in time for next season.'"

Sure, for this to happen next season the clubs would have had to have known what was at stake with regards to finishing in the top eight to get in the higher league with the bottom eight going in the lower league. It wouldn't fit in very easily with Toronto coming in either.

Can clubs survive one more season of an awful league structure? Let's hope so but something needs to be done for 2018.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3243
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

All the chairmen of Championship One clubs should stick together & tell the RFL that unless they make suitable changes to the structure of the Championship One for the 2017 season they will all refuse to take part in it next season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1304No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64156_1430988287.gif

Whilst I understand what your saying Geoff, not sure it would do any good, The Rfl have very little interest in the division anyway, they would probably be doing them a favour

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3243
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: donny hkr "Whilst I understand what your saying Geoff, not sure it would do any good, The Rfl have very little interest in the division anyway, they would probably be doing them a favour'"

I don't think the RFL would like the adverse publicity this would bring if all the clubs stood together on this they need to make a stand and let the RFL know what the Championship clubs require for them to make it a viable & competitive league for all the teams in that division.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8041
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The clubs are as much to blame they vote these things in .

36 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
36 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.0927734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV games not Wire
karetaker
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Home
rubber ducki
12m
Film game
karetaker
43m
Huddsh
Simba16
44m
Rumours thread
homme vaste
45m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 20
rugbyleague8
52m
Squad 2024
Hudd-Shay
57m
TV Games - Not Hull
Hasbag
Recent
Oh when the Saints
Jake the Peg
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
Jake the Peg
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Squad for HKR
The Speculat
2m
Panthers v Knights
faxcar
2m
Film game
karetaker
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Squad 2024
Hudd-Shay
3m
Huddsh
Simba16
4m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
4m
Oh when the Saints
Jake the Peg
5m
Barrow A
Bull Mania
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Panthers v Knights
faxcar
TODAY
Barrow A
Bull Mania
TODAY
RFL disciplinary double standards
faxcar
TODAY
5 countries tender bids to host the 2030 RLWC
Huddersfield
TODAY
Jack Welsby out for 8 weeks with injury
Huddersfield
TODAY
Dewsbury away
The Avenger
TODAY
Josh Jones
The Avenger
TODAY
Todays chairmans address
faxcar
TODAY
Mid Season fans forum
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Squad for HKR
The Speculat
TODAY
Josh Jones
CarlB
TODAY
Lannon
faxcar
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information 3/8/24
Sir Gregory
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse Saturday 10/8/24
Jemmo
TODAY
Sheffield v Dons Sunday 4/8/24 3pm
Double Movem
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity songs
JINJER
TODAY
Jeylon Hodgson
AdamH
TODAY
Squads - Tigers v Leopards
LeythIg
TODAY
Jarrod Sammut
Betsy Bulls
TODAY
ONeil out long term
NickyKiss
TODAY
Burgess signs extension till 26
just_browny
TODAY
Lewis Baxter
Jemmo
TODAY
Huddsh
Simba16
TODAY
Trueman
Chris71
TODAY
Oh when the Saints
Jake the Peg
TODAY
New Players
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
KaeruJim
TODAY
Luke Gale announces his retirement
Bullseye
TODAY
Aston Shefield
Bullseye
TODAY
Rhyse Martin Out 2025
christopher
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
Twelve Man Warrington Stun Sai..
2024 State of Origin - Game 3 ..
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
Catalans Dragons Swap Places W..
KR win the Hull Derby to Into ..
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.61M 3,192 80,09014,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R22
 FT
Hover 
Wests
30-48
NQL Cowboys
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R20
20:00
Castleford
v
Leigh
Wigan
v
Huddersfield
 TOMORROW
09:00
NZ Warriors
v
Parramatta
11:00
Dolphins
v
Sydney
Warrington
v
Hull KR
 Sat 3rd Aug
06:00
Gold Coast
v
Brisbane
08:30
Melbourne
v
St.George
10:35
Cronulla
v
Souths
     Womens Super League 2024-R10
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
LeedsW
15:00
Hull FC
v
St.Helens
       Championship 2024-R20
Swinton
v
Toulouse
17:30
Salford
v
Leeds
 Sun 4th Aug
05:00
Penrith
v
Newcastle
07:05
Canterbury
v
Canberra
     Womens Super League 2024-R10
12:00
BarrowW
v
St.HelensW
Wire W
v
York V
WiganW
v
Hudds W
LondonB
v
Catalans
       League One 2024-R18
Keighley
v
Newcastle
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 1st Aug
SL
Castleford-Leigh
SL
Wigan-Huddersfield
Fri 2nd Aug
SL
Warrington-Hull KR
Sat 3rd Aug
SL
Hull FC-St.Helens
SL
17:30
Salford-Leeds
Sun 4th Aug
SL
LondonB-Catalans
Thu 8th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Salford
Fri 9th Aug
SL
Huddersfield-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Castleford
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Thu 1st Aug
NRL
LIVE
Wests30-48NQL Cowboys
Sun 28th Jul
NRL 21 St.George10-46Penrith
NRL 21 Dolphins14-21Gold Coast
NRL 21 Canberra32-12Souths
CH 19 Batley16-22Halifax
CH 19 Doncaster37-30Barrow
CH 19 Sheffield78-24Whitehaven
CH 19 Wakefield46-18Featherstone
CH 19 Widnes25-6Bradford
CH 19 York34-4Swinton
L1 17 Newcastle34-44Cornwall
L1 17 Hunslet24-32Workington
L1 17 Keighley36-12Midlands
L1 17 Rochdale10-14Oldham
Sat 27th Jul
SL 19 Salford30-22Castleford
SL 19 Catalans24-16Hull FC
NRL 21 Brisbane16-41Canterbury
NRL 21 NQL Cowboys30-22Cronulla
NRL 21 Sydney34-30Manly
CH 19 Toulouse58-6Dewsbury
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Warrington 19 498 245 253 28
Hull KR 19 481 255 226 28
Wigan 18 469 244 225 28
Catalans 19 366 274 92 24
Salford 19 355 366 -11 24
St.Helens 19 455 256 199 22

Leeds 19 355 342 13 20
Leigh 18 372 276 96 17
Huddersfield 19 336 427 -91 14
Castleford 19 326 503 -177 13
Hull FC 19 268 566 -298 6
LondonB 19 198 725 -527 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 17 584 206 378 32
Sheffield 17 488 283 205 24
Toulouse 16 468 220 248 23
Widnes 17 410 307 103 21
Bradford 17 397 297 100 21
Doncaster 17 318 410 -92 17

York 18 428 345 83 16
Featherstone 17 440 359 81 16
Batley 17 284 366 -82 16
Swinton 17 342 422 -80 12