JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24307.jpg
[img:24qn1m99]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/DrGomez/Replacementbanner.jpg?t=1284815933[/img:24qn1m99] On thread drift: [quote="tb":24qn1m99]Tough. Conversations develop. It's their nature.[/quote:24qn1m99] Little Pepe went to nursery school one day wearing his Widnes hat. His teacher asked him why he was a Widnes fan. He said, “Because my parents are.” His teacher said, “That’s not good. What would you do if your parents were drug dealers and hookers?” He replied, “Well then I would be a Warrington fan.” [i:24qn1m99]There's a Wooly over there, baggy kecks and feathered hair with a 3 star jumper half way up his back, that’s a fecking Wooly back![/i:24qn1m99] [b:24qn1m99]Oooh-to… Oooh-to-be… Oooh-to-be-a… WOOLY![/b:24qn1m99]:24307.jpg

Quote: widneslardboy "It's a hard question to answer because realistically at the end of last year who would have made the call that Liam Finn for instance would have been so infleuntial at this level and walk away with the player of the year trophy.

I certainly wouldnt have forecast it and I do recall reading from some disgruntled Fev fans at the time of his signing. '"

I’m not too sure what point, in the context of this discussion, you are making?

Fev haven’t done what we have done. We have recruited too many young cast off’s from other teams, added young dual reg players and then have tried to throw in loads of our own youngsters. We did have some good, experienced players, but some of these were injured before we even signed them and spent most of this season out injured.

Fev built an experienced team and threw in a few young players with promise. That’s what I want Widnes to do. I want a tough quality pack and some quality backs. To this I want to see our own youngsters brought in. I want them to be playing in a team where they have a modicum of protection form the experienced players and learn from them in a winning environment. Barrow knocked the cr@p out of us in that last game. We were bullied. This is not a sport that tolerates any weakness, and such weakness will be exploited.

Quote: widneslardboy " Alot can change in a year and if one year deals get people playing for potential SL deals then its a great thing and us as fans couldnt care less about their performances form this or previous years.'"

Quote: widneslardboy " Bracek is certainly a talented lad. He has been for a while now though and it generally seems to be his attitude that has let him down previously. Not just for him but a full time nevironment makes a massive difference for players stepping up and some will kick on and others will just drop back into the Championship as thiings level off.'"

We are not full-time yet, and I’m far from convinced many of the players we have retained would make any sort of mark on SL. I’m not saying all of them would fail, but we cannot take a chance on them all. I've never seen a game were Bracek has impressed me. I'd rather spend that valuable space on the cap on a tough, old head who'll help bring on and protect our own youngsters. Gannon filled this role for so long, but he was on his own most of the time and he probably won't be here next season.

Quote: widneslardboy " If we do well in the league next year then great but for me it's about getting individual players looking good and showing some promise. We dont need to dominate this league though to justify anything to other Championship fans though.'"

We don’t need to win to justify anything, but I would really like to see us do well next season. If we get the nod in March, every team we face will be up to smash us. We need some real muscle and experience next season to deal with that. I don’t want to go through another season like the last three and see us losing fans at the rate we are now. Having a winning team is b00dy important to me. In fact, that is what it is all about, surely?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16474No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15574_1415470358.jpg
Love a brew.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15574.jpg

A 1 year deal for Bracek with a final chance to prove himself wouldnt be a bad move IMO, like the rest of the lads he either wants it or he's resigned to playing in the championship for the rest of his career with teams like Leigh.

RankPostsTeam
International Star41No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: -VIKINGMAN- "If Ben Davies signs i would agree leave him be.'"

Went to watch the 20's super league final today vm..davies was immense,if we can prise him away from the pies a gr8 gr8 signing but somehow a loan would be the best we can hope for imo,they know this lad is a talent,look at farrell how he kicked on after his spell with us.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach173No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34496_1276187812.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34496.jpg

I'd sign Catic in a shot. Aggressive, incredibly quick for a big man, puts opponents off their game. All the things you want in a forward (who can play centre).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3687No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012May 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18779_1302915859.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18779.jpg

Quote: Pepe "What I mean is we’ve been going for other clubs young players who can’t quite make it in SL. Someone at the club seems to think that, because they are young and promising, we’ll be able to take nearly a full squad of these players up to SL in 2012. Netherton, Coyle, Gardener, Gerrard, Pickersgill, I‘Anson and then there's all of the Dual-regs we signed on top of theat, all of which were recalled. It's time for all this cr@p to end. Only Picks imo will be worth a shot at SL, so why bother with the rest? I will admit that I know little about I‘Anson though.

If we try to build a club for SL in this league, with it’s poultry £300k cap, it will be a complete disaster. The team would be humiliated in SL and we won't even be able to hold our head up in the Champioship. I doubt we’ll even get a core of the squad from next years team. What we need is a team that can compete in the Championship next year and win it. For that we need some tough old nuts with bags of experience and skill. Let them bring our own youngsters on in a winning team, instead of getting a pasting physically every week. The good quality old heads, we did have, always seemed to be injured, because PC, in his infinite wisdom, bought them that way.

Imo Brecek will not improve us as significantly as several other players I could think of, and won’t be capable of making the step up to SL, so what’s the point?'"

I totally agree, but I'm not even sure you can go as far as to say 'young and promising'. Its almost as if we'll take any young(ish) player as long as they've recently been at SL club academy. You would have thought we'd have learned by now that not all young players will turn out to be great ones. Maybe it should be a case of [ibetter the devil you know[/i and concentrate on our own youngsters - because a lot of the time it seems we're signing players that we don't know a great deal about.

You look at the Widnes recruitment over the past few years and you just can't see where we are going. We're picking up young players, but sometimes its almost as if we're picking them up purely because they're young - not because they have the potential to play in SL. Were the likes of Sam Thompson, Chris Gerrard, Kirk Netherton, Thomas Coyle or the dual reg players ever realistically going to be SL players for us in 2012? If these players can't stand out at Championship level, how on earth would they cope in SL? At least the 2001 squad had the boast that they won the last 15 games in a row and also won the GF. Back then, we had some real quality players for the division that we were in. I think the problem we've had recently is that we've had a lot of average players (regardless of age) and not enough quality.

I think Pepe is right - trying build a squad for SL whilst we're in the Championship just hasn't worked. May as well try and sign good players for our division now and negotiate with different players for 2012 when/if we get the nod for SL. If anyone we have already stands out next year then obviously they should be given a shot at SL, but I don't think many of them have done themselves any favours over the past 12/24 months.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[size=100:3bcizgah][url=http://twitter.com/reallyrichkelly:3bcizgah]Follow me on Twitter...[/url:3bcizgah][/size:3bcizgah]:

Quote: Pepe "If you consider that Brecek is going to be SL quality, then I can understand why you, or anyone else, would want him here. I don’t think he’s even good enough for a top end Championship club and see no chance at all of him ever making a SL player.

I remember being lambasted on this forum for saying that Sam Thompson was poop. Some people actually thought he was quite good.

Whilst Bracek is better than Thompson, I’m still totally puzzled as to what some people see in him.'"

I'm not saying that I think he has the potential to be a good SL player. I'm saying that for a forward of that age, the best is yet to come. The likes of Catic and McDermott are currently at, or past their peaks.

I think Bracek's aura was that Warrington shelved out all that money to pluck him from Saints. But you're right, he never looked up to the bill. When he arrived at Widnes he was better than Ben Harrison and iirc regarded as closer to the first team at Warrington than BH. The contrast between their careers shows how easy it is for a young player just to fall away when they seem on the verge of greatness.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4397_1335909374.png
@chemical_viking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4397.png

I think there are better players out there and ones who don't need to prove themselves at that. I wouldn't bring him to Super League and so signing him for next season alone would be the best option I feel if that were to happen and obviously if he impresses we can look at retaining him.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16601No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Nov 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB181.gif
:cartoons/WB181.gif

Lobbyland rumour is Davies off to Huddersfield on a season loan, makes sense for the lads development.

Heard you had made a bid for Hobson.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach222No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Jul 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: J20 "No no no! McDermott does a job but is a yard dog cheap shot merchant like Roberts. In honesty if was P&R they'd be handy to do a job but they shouldn't be paid for what they do, in SL or with a decent ref wouldn't last 5 minutes! I respect they have their roles and give 100% but their generation has long gone!'"

That would be Brett McDermott who has played in every position for Barrow during his career? I suggest your opinion is based upon a very small number of games in which you have seen him and he has had the task of dealing with players like your own Jim Gannon who occupies a similar role. Its part of the game and every team needs someone to "look after" the young or the less physical players in a team. However to suggest the role no longer exists is simply incorrect and calling him a cheap shot merchant shows your ignorance. Are you prepared to call Gannon the same, preferably to their faces icon_rolleyes.gif

As for the topic, Brett by his own admission has one more season in the pro game before, hopefully, coming back to the amateur game at Roose. He has stated he has no desire to go anywhere else and if not offered a contract by Barrow will retire.

Bracek as has been stated is not a world beater but is young and a decent player at this level, very consistent and with a very good work rate. Unfortunately it appears he has been given "advice" on what he should be earning and as uncle Des disagrees, he's been released. Huddersfield have apparently shown an interest in taking him.

Catic is currently in talks with the board and uncle Des has allegedly ordered a stack of pillow case sized brown envelopes to keep him at the club for what is apparently his last season in the game eusa_whistle.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33727No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1034_1335734906.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1034.jpg

Quote: richardviking "I think Bracek's aura was that Warrington shelved out all that money to pluck him from Saints. But you're right, he never looked up to the bill. When he arrived at Widnes he was better than Ben Harrison and iirc regarded as closer to the first team at Warrington than BH. The contrast between their careers shows how easy it is for a young player just to fall away when they seem on the verge of greatness.'"

Was discussing this at the Saints game with a Pie-supporting mate on Friday that often it's all about a matter of timing - Bryn Hargreaves looked pretty average when he was on loan at Leyth, was supposed to be heading back in to our league for all eternity when Wigan released him but Saints offered him a paltry contract (summat daft like £8k a year was mentioned) to play as a reserve prop, got his chance in the side and never looked back. The irony about Bracek is that, as far as I'm aware, he never actually played as a prop until he went to Warrington, and even then only filling in as an emergency option. Still, Cullen was the one who paid out for him so I'm here he'll be a better judge than a lot of us as to his potential.

J20
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6096No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45011_1321315422.jpg
This isn't a sleeping giant, it's a giant! Denis Betts Nov 2010 Twitter: @JoeyViking:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45011.jpg

Joel Tomkins had one good game for us on loan against your bunch away and most of us were mortified Doran had been dropped to the bench for him! 2 seasons later he's got a Wigan starting jersey, in the SL dream team and is an England international and a certainty for 4 nations trip!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman33727No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1034_1335734906.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1034.jpg

Quote: J20 "Joel Tomkins had one good game for us on loan against your bunch away and most of us were mortified Doran had been dropped to the bench for him! 2 seasons later he's got a Wigan starting jersey, in the SL dream team and is an England international and a certainty for 4 nations trip!'"

And I'll tell you now that he was far from anything special as a junior player!

SRC
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Barrow for Super League 2015:

Bracek was signed by Barrow as a Loose Forward. Whilst not big enough for a SL prop, he could certainly hold his own in the pack at that level again (remember, he played almost 60 games for Warrington before coming to Barrow).

His footwork and workrate is excellent. I certainly would have liked to see him remain at Barrow. A reduced contract was offered (due to the 25% reduction in the salary cap), but he wanted to remain on the same money as his previous 2 year deal.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3183No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32679_1386879506.jpg
NRC CHAMPIONS 2011 & 2013:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32679.jpg

The prob that clubs are finding is that players are over pricing themselves....... they need a reality check or will be without a team as clubs aint willing to pay out big contracts anymore due to the salary cap in this league.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3183No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32679_1386879506.jpg
NRC CHAMPIONS 2011 & 2013:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32679.jpg

No part time player should be paid more than £20K in the Championship IMO....... the salary cap aint big enough for massive wages, when players like Paul and Bibey`s contracts are up at Leigh they will be offered less money like as just happened to Nanyn - accept em or leave I say.

35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.01025390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
Recent