JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PAUL M "When we are on our game in the fowards then the halves and backs can score tries and be creative, the Cats and Bulls game showed that. Trouble is when we are not on our game we have nobody to try and lift and inspire the side and we are then bloody rubbish.'"

Agar needs to motivate and inspire in his Leadership/coaching. Where's the passion? he's a poor leader.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg
Cuddle Club Rules 1. You dont talk about Cuddle club 2. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CUDDLE CLUB!!!! PS3 tag = Robbo_4444:20348.jpg

Quote: Big Dave T "I think its difficult to say tbh when the teams overall tactics are poor. We mis-use our forwards which means they cant lay the platform. We have an international hooker that plays for 10 minutes and then goes missing for 70. We have excellent outside backs that dont see the ball. We've scored a lot of tries from Thorman and Hornes short kicking game early in the season. We make too many mistakes meaning Thorman has to kick too often from deep. I think personally if Agar gets his tactics right we will see the best of Thorman. I saw enough of him early in the season to know that he isnt fantastic but he can do a job for us and we can challenge. Matthew Head and Adam Dykes both looked great when doing the basic easy things well, like passing it wide to Manu and Yeaman. Thorman can do that easily too but needs to be part of the game plan.'"

It cant be the gameplan that Thorman isn't allowed to throw a miss-out pass? Or a long flat pass to get it wider quicker? Or that his short kicks have to go to the wrong part of the in-goal area? TBH he is playing exactly like I expected him to, which is why I didn't want him in the first place but understood why the club took him for 1 year while they search for a genuine SH. If a genuine SH isn't signed for next season though I will be beyond P1ssed off icon_evil.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner53839No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Twitter - @MaddyHFC:

Quote: Big Dave T "Agar needs to motivate and inspire in his Leadership/coaching. Where's the passion? he's a poor leader.'"

Where is the passion in anyone at our club, players and coaches. Players should not need too much motivating tbh, against Rovers we turned up for the last 25 mins and nearly won the bloody game icon_evil.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29160No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Robbo4 "It cant be the gameplan that Thorman isn't allowed to throw a miss-out pass? Or a long flat pass to get it wider quicker? Or that his short kicks have to go to the wrong part of the in-goal area? TBH he is playing exactly like I expected him to, which is why I didn't want him in the first place but understood why the club took him for 1 year while they search for a genuine SH. If a genuine SH isn't signed for next season though I will be beyond P1ssed off
Do you think 5 drives and a kick isnt the gameplan?

Do you think 1 drive right, 1 drive left, 1 drive right, 1 drive left, 1 drive right and kick isnt what they go through in training?

After watching it for 10 games or so it cant just be an accident. If the gameplan was to throw a pass or two and Thorman didnt wouldnt Agar get the message out to him to do it?

Boring rugby consistently cannot be an accident.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29160No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PAUL M "Where is the passion in anyone at our club, players and coaches. Players should not need too much motivating tbh, against Rovers we turned up for the last 25 mins and nearly won the bloody game
The job of a leader like Agar is to build the team spirit, create a great environment etc that the players enjoy being part of which in turn leads to people wanting to play for each other which in turn leads to motivation etc too. If Agar has lost the dressing room because the players dont agree with his tactics i can understand their lack of motivation. It cant be very nice knowing that youre going to go out there and get beaten and then be given stick by the fans because your coach is a numpty.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: Big Dave T "I think its difficult to say tbh when the teams overall tactics are poor. We mis-use our forwards which means they cant lay the platform. We have an international hooker that plays for 10 minutes and then goes missing for 70. We have excellent outside backs that dont see the ball. We've scored a lot of tries from Thorman and Hornes short kicking game early in the season. We make too many mistakes meaning Thorman has to kick too often from deep. I think personally if Agar gets his tactics right we will see the best of Thorman. I saw enough of him early in the season to know that he isnt fantastic but he can do a job for us and we can challenge. Matthew Head and Adam Dykes both looked great when doing the basic easy things well, like passing it wide to Manu and Yeaman. Thorman can do that easily too but needs to be part of the game plan.'"

So it seems you think that Thorman is struggling because of the team's deficiencies and tactics, but Berrigan's hit and miss form is his own fault then?

Not sure that's fair TBH. Strikes me as expecting less from players because they simply aren't as good, despite the fact that it's just as much down to them to produce the goods.

Thorman has gone missing just as much as Berrigan so far this season, you can usually find him hiding half a dozen yards behind the forward at 1st receiver from the PTB. Regardless of ability, tactics, etc, I personally just think the supposed focal point of the team should be a little bit more keen to get involved.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg
Cuddle Club Rules 1. You dont talk about Cuddle club 2. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CUDDLE CLUB!!!! PS3 tag = Robbo_4444:20348.jpg

Quote: Big Dave T "Do you think 5 drives and a kick isnt the gameplan?

Do you think 1 drive right, 1 drive left, 1 drive right, 1 drive left, 1 drive right and kick isnt what they go through in training?

After watching it for 10 games or so it cant just be an accident. If the gameplan was to throw a pass or two and Thorman didnt wouldnt Agar get the message out to him to do it?

Boring rugby consistently cannot be an accident.'"

Fact is if a player is in the "red zone" and sees an overlap he will probably do what his instincts tell him. Unfortunately Thormans instincts usually entail kicking it (because his passing is woeful) when its not on and consequently our players are not ready for it. I'd imagine the boring 5 drives and a kick stuff is for working the ball away from our line and they have more freedom nearer the try line, we just dont have the personnel to do it.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29160No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: carl_spackler "So it seems you think that Thorman is struggling because of the team's deficiencies and tactics, but Berrigan's hit and miss form is his own fault then?

Not sure that's fair TBH. Strikes me as expecting less from players because they simply aren't as good, despite the fact that it's just as much down to them to produce the goods.

'"

They have different jobs though. My expectations of Thorman are that he spreads the ball about and he is coached not to. My expectation of Berrigan is that he plays like the world class hooker that he is and that he inspires his team mates etc.

I od have different expectations of each player because one is an average 7 and one is one of the top 3 or 4 hookers in the world.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29160No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2012Jul 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Robbo4 "Fact is if a player is in the "red zone" and sees an overlap he will probably do what his instincts tell him. Unfortunately Thormans instincts usually entail kicking it (because his passing is woeful) when its not on and consequently our players are not ready for it. I'd imagine the boring 5 drives and a kick stuff is for working the ball away from our line and they have more freedom nearer the try line, we just dont have the personnel to do it.'"

Ive watched Thormans stupid goal line kicks and cant defend them. I can understand why he does it because their outside defence has come up quickly thus stopping the long pass, he just doesnt execute the kicks well on occasions and his team mates dont seem to know what he is doing. The only issue i have is his execution of the play not his decision making in the situations youre mentioning.

The 5 drives and a kick is in our own half yes, in their half we go for 3 drives and 2 predictable tight in plays followed by a poor kick. I dont blame any of the players even if i expect more from some of them. The blame from me sits entirely with Agar/Sharp and their tactics.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg

Quote: Big Dave T "Ive watched Thormans stupid goal line kicks and cant defend them. I can understand why he does it because their outside defence has come up quickly thus stopping the long pass, he just doesnt execute the kicks well on occasions and his team mates dont seem to know what he is doing. The only issue i have is his execution of the play not his decision making in the situations youre mentioning.

The 5 drives and a kick is in our own half yes, in their half we go for 3 drives and 2 predictable tight in plays followed by a poor kick. I dont blame any of the players even if i expect more from some of them. The blame from me sits entirely with Agar/Sharp and their tactics.'"

Really have to disagree on that point. The tactics worked fine for the first 5 games of the season. Its the players application of the tactics that has led to the current situation. It might not be pretty but it can win games if executed properly. TBH that sort of attitude is possibly why the players think they can just go through the motions.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Robbo4 "Really have to disagree on that point. The tactics worked fine for the first 5 games of the season. Its the players application of the tactics that has led to the current situation. It might not be pretty but it can win games if executed properly. TBH that sort of attitude is possibly why the players think they can just go through the motions.'"

Or possibly the rest of SL now know our game plan, better than we do!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg

Quote: Big Dave T "They have different jobs though. My expectations of Thorman are that he spreads the ball about and he is coached not to. My expectation of Berrigan is that he plays like the world class hooker that he is and that he inspires his team mates etc.

I od have different expectations of each player because one is an average 7 and one is one of the top 3 or 4 hookers in the world.'"

But both rely on the forwards giving them space to work in to produce their best. Berrigan can't run from dummy half with the speed of out ptb, so is also shafted by events beyond his control. His passing has been below par I'll admit, but to suggest Thorman's poor performances are because he is coached that way is not remotely accurate IMO. He doesn't have the passing game to spread it wide IMO, and the 1 thing he definitely is coached to be responsible for is our kicking game, which is still not up to scratch as far as I can see. He seems to make the decision to kick through on a whim, rather than what's going on around him.

As for inspiring your teammates I think that's irrelevant of being world class or not. Thorman was trumpeted as a great talker and organiser, I'd say that that role had at least as much responsibility to inspire the team as Berrigan, who seems to have been labelled as some sort of leadership figure based purely upon his playing abilities, and I'm not sure how that works, personally.

I'm just not on board with the seemingly 'he's $h1t, he can't help it' approach viewing him as less worthy of criticism, and palming it off onto coaches whilst feeling fine about ripping into those who are more capable. If anything, I view the fact that our coaches can't get the best out of a proven top-notch hooker as more evidence of their deficiencies than his.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg

Quote: Standee "Or possibly the rest of SL now know our game plan, better than we do!'"

Knowing a gameplan and stopping it are 2 different things. I agree its not pretty and its not what I would choose but it can be effective if everyone does their job properly which they clearly haven't for the last half a dozen games or so.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg

Quote: Robbo4 "Knowing a gameplan and stopping it are 2 different things. I agree its not pretty and its not what I would choose but it can be effective if everyone does their job properly which they clearly haven't for the last half a dozen games or so.'"

For me, that's one of the biggest problems with it. To stand a chance of winning the way we play you pretty much need all 17 players to put in a virtually flawless performance for 80 minutes. This is hard no matter how good the players are. Every team makes errors, but the likes of Saints and Leeds try those low percentage plays and pull them off often enough to cancel out theirs.

Once errors creep into our game we are then dependent upon our opponents making more than us to get back into it.

GM1
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2446No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8872_1376622453.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8872.png

Manu to start from the bench!!!

127 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
127 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
Recent
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
FORUM