JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7384_1394882426.png
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14252202:io879g1y]2005 Challenge Cup[/url:io879g1y] To reconcile respect with practicality, what is the optimum speed for a hearse?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7384.png

Quote: Dave K. "Also we made about 60 tackle busts compared to their 22.'"

What were the offloads stats? They seemed to be able to do a hell of a lot

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "Our centres made 9 runs between them, 3 from Whiting which us terrible, he should never okay centre again, whilst we have other players who can play there. Sa has to start there next week.'"

Things like this are where I just think it's so difficult to understand/defend Radford's thinking. Whiting had a shaky start to this season, and was fairly left out, but it wasn't until he was moved to centre that his performance descended to terrible. This is where there are holes in his dropping/selection on merit argument. IMO we are not always playing the best options we have, and dropping those most deserving, which is how it should work. What he seems to be doing (halves apart) is basing it mainly on the defensive side of the game. So those who miss tackles are sent packing, even if they offer an attacking threat, but those who bomb chances (or don't even create any) are persevered with as long as they are solid in the tackle. My personal view is that the defensive side of the game should be easier to improve than the attacking side, so if you're going to focus on one over the other it would make more sense to persevere with the stronger attacking players and address their defensive issues. Good coaching should be able to do something about this, and given that Radford was lauded for our improved defence under Gentle, then surely it should be right down his alley to do this.

With Whiting at centre in particular it's compounded by the fact that we signed Sa to reinforce the centre position, but even approaching 3 months in we are still playing him in the back row, instead of Whiting. It seems so obvious to swap them around I simply don't understand why it isn't that way already.

This week he complained about our poor attacking play and said he'll consider changes for the derby, lets see if he makes any attacking changes or still sticks primarily with a 'defensively solid' (on paper, not the pitch) lineup.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7355
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39176.jpg
:39176.jpg

What a truly crap season this has been.

What I will say is what was discussed on The Footy Show over here a few weeks back. I'm not saying Radford is the answer, I was never a fan of him taking the reigns in the first place, but far too much emphasis is placed on the coach's downfalls and mistakes rather than the players. The players are the ones who are actually on the pitch and they should perform better. I've thought this for years, the players and teams we've over the past few years should have performed better and more consistently than they have. Maybe this is down to the coach not motivating the team, I don't know, but the players should take far more responsibility than they do. 'Energy' is the big buzz word at the minute, but it's true that it's something we seriously lack in, and that's down to the players not wanting it enough. IMO. Attitude is a massive factor in any sport, and I think it's a culture problem at the club that we don't live and breath as winners, we are constantly the tryers who 'can match the big teams on our day'. Leeds and Wigan breed winners, we are miles behind in this department.

RankPostsTeam
International Star206No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2015Nov 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons1949_files/3890-1360Zapper-msnicons.jpg
:icons1949_files/3890-1360Zapper-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Kosh "These stats point squarely at poor selection from the coach and general ineptitude from the players. It's just depressing, frankly.

We're also the only team in the bottom 8 with a positive points difference. Go figure.'"

Why were sa and rankin not brought into the game earlier,they made a difference and surely if both were fit shouldn't they have been on the pitch from the off.For me just more evidence radford has no idea what his best side is!!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: Drew peacock "Why were sa and rankin not brought into the game earlier,they made a difference and surely if both were fit shouldn't they have been on the pitch from the off.For me just more evidence radford has no idea what his best side is!!'"

Radford actually admitted this was a mistake in his post-match interview.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1956
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2022Mar 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43891_1446081293.png
"never looking back,always looking forward":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43891.png

Regarding sa he probably thought his aggression n options for back row where a good reason to have him come on from the bench. Also maybe thought whiting would be looking for a big game due to lack of opportunities this yr.
Whitings been a great servent but going forward I just cant see were he fits in.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1376
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Kosh "Radford actually admitted this was a mistake in his post-match interview.'"

That he's making this sort of "mistake" for such , in his words , an important game so late in the season shows that he has learned little since making the same "mistakes" in the pre-season friendlies - what was he trying to do at Featherstone? - and countless games since. There is absolutely no evidence or suggestion that he will be doing anything different next year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner25511No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Chris28 "What were the offloads stats? They seemed to be able to do a hell of a lot'"

Surprisingly 19-12 to us, we must have done all ours in the first 20, our maybe they count loose passes.

RankPostsTeam
International Star23No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Fozzie%20Bear.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Fozzie%20Bear.gif

Quote: tommyfromhull "What a truly crap season this has been.

What I will say is what was discussed on The Footy Show over here a few weeks back. I'm not saying Radford is the answer, I was never a fan of him taking the reigns in the first place, but far too much emphasis is placed on the coach's downfalls and mistakes rather than the players. The players are the ones who are actually on the pitch and they should perform better. I've thought this for years, the players and teams we've over the past few years should have performed better and more consistently than they have. Maybe this is down to the coach not motivating the team, I don't know, but the players should take far more responsibility than they do. 'Energy' is the big buzz word at the minute, but it's true that it's something we seriously lack in, and that's down to the players not wanting it enough. IMO. Attitude is a massive factor in any sport, and I think it's a culture problem at the club that we don't live and breath as winners, we are constantly the tryers who 'can match the big teams on our day'. Leeds and Wigan breed winners, we are miles behind in this department.'"

Maybe if we had a proper coach in place instead of assistant coaches who have no idea like Agar and Radford then we may see the players play a lot better and to an actual gameplan! Although I agree when the players are on the pitch there isn't much the coach can do but they still following his game plan and structures.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6734No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3738_1390436317.gif
The referee's indecision is final:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3738.gif

What I will say is what was discussed on The Footy Show over here a few weeks back. I'm not saying Radford is the answer, I was never a fan of him taking the reigns in the first place, but far too much emphasis is placed on the coach's downfalls and mistakes rather than the players. The players are the ones who are actually on the pitch and they should perform better. I've thought this for years, the players and teams we've over the past few years should have performed better and more consistently than they have. Maybe this is down to the coach not motivating the team, I don't know, but the players should take far more responsibility than they do. 'Energy' is the big buzz word at the minute, but it's true that it's something we seriously lack in, and that's down to the players not wanting it enough. IMO. Attitude is a massive factor in any sport, and I think it's a culture problem at the club that we don't live and breath as winners, we are constantly the tryers who 'can match the big teams on our day'. Leeds and Wigan breed winners, we are miles behind in this department.'"

like most things in life success or failure is not down to one thing, but a combination of several factors. yes the players could do better but so could the coach, other staff, owner and even us supporters. the players drop passes, make stupid plays etc, the owner opens his mouth when he should keep shut sometimes, makes the wrong decisions in appointments, us supporters moan when we should be backing the team, and the coach makes bad tactical decisions, chooses the wrong team, has poor easy to read attacking plays etc. there are faults in other areas than just the coaching. unfortunately radford as head coach is the figurehead, responsible person, fall guy (delete as appropriate). if the team does poorly its the coach who gets the bullet. Its also his job to turn around players attitudes and mistakes etc something he's failed to do so far this season.

but you are correct some players need to have a good look at their part in our poor season

RankPostsTeam
International Star4719No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66802_1403264854.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66802.jpg

Just seen the highlights. Terrible first try to Bradford. Don't know if Shaul called or not but either way it's crap. If Shaul called why did Horne get in his way and if Shaul didn't call for it then why the hell not?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4023_1645969784.jpeg
https://busesfortrains.bandcamp.com/releases:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4023.jpeg

All i can say is I am glad I made the effort to go to the London and Widnes away games, the best two away games of the season. Really poor effort yesterday, should have been out of sight at 12-0. Roll on 2015.

GM1
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2446No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8872_1376622453.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8872.png

I honestly believe that the players dont want to play for Radford. In Leeds and Wigan, you have 2 coaches that the players seem to like, respect and put their body on the line for. I dont see that with Radford, in fact it would appear that they are drained of all energy, and cant be ar5ed anymore. If Pearson sticks to his word and Radford is given next season to prove his worth, it could be a very long season.

I think the players, coaching staff and Pearson need a cards on the table meeting. Those who dont want to be part of the new regime (however poop it appears), should be shown the door, and that includes the coaching staff. If next season turns out to be a false dawn like this one, the damage could be around for years to come.

Playing devils advocate, had a proven 1st team coach been singed, I doubt we'd be in this mess.

RankPostsTeam
International Star202No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GM1 "I honestly believe that the players dont want to play for Radford. In Leeds and Wigan, you have 2 coaches that the players seem to like, respect and put their body on the line for. I dont see that with Radford, in fact it would appear that they are drained of all energy, and cant be ar5ed anymore. If Pearson sticks to his word and Radford is given next season to prove his worth, it could be a very long season.

I think the players, coaching staff and Pearson need a cards on the table meeting. Those who dont want to be part of the new regime (however poop it appears), should be shown the door, and that includes the coaching staff. If next season turns out to be a false dawn like this one, the damage could be around for years to come.

Playing devils advocate, had a proven 1st team coach been singed, I doubt we'd be in this mess.'"

My feelings exactly. The so called club culture is down partly to a succession of assistant `wannabe' / never will be `coaches'
& a reluctance to spend big on a coach.
Employ a proven first team coach, - everything else will fall into place

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17123No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

Quote: westdock boy in oz "My feelings exactly. The so called club culture is down partly to a succession of assistant `wannabe' / never will be `coaches'
& a reluctance to spend big on a coach.
Employ a proven first team coach, - everything else will fall into place'"

Indeed, we need a proven coach who is meticulous in leaving no stone unturned behind the scenes to get success.

113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.16357421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Captain Hook
Recent
Salford H
DSJ1983
Recent