Jan 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11887_1335108466.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11887.png

Quote: Doc Brown "At the end of the day for me it is not a simple case of changing the coach. We've been changing coaches for years and we've not seen any changes to the inconsistencies that have plagued the club. There needs to be a serious clear out and cleanup at the club as we try to get to the root of the problem. If ever there was a time for allowing a coach the time he needs to build his own team it is probably now.

But is Radford the coach to bring about these changes and be given that time? The answer for me is no. We're not playing any better under Radford than we was under Gentle. On the face of it we seem to be worse. Radford doesn't appear to know what his best team is based on his constant rotation and questionable selections, our defence is looking worse than last year and our attack looks just as clueless as in other years. His public criticism of players doesn't seem to be having any effect on the players other than on Ben Crooks who seems to be bereft of confidence. That's not good. Nor is his public admittance that he doesn't know what the problem with the team is or how to address it. It is a problem that has affected our previous coaches but Radford was supposed to be the man that had the answers.

Most crucially though, we currently sit 10th in the table and based on current form we're more likely to slip further down the table rather than up it. For a team that finished 6th for the previous two years that is not good enough. A change in coach should be for the better but that doesn't appear to be the case with Radford.

Now it is not up to me whether Radford goes or not. It is AP's decision and his alone. If Radford stays then I hope he can turn this around and show us why he got the job in the first place. But whether he stays or goes, the man in charge needs a good background staff supporting him. Based on what is available on the club website we look light in this area compared to other clubs. We've got some great training facilities but without the staff then we're hindering ourselves.

On the playing front, the squad we have is largely the same team that finished 6th two years on the bounce and that is the level we are at. If we are to become a top club then in the long term we must rid ourselves of the players that have been guilty of the complacent, halfhearted, efforts that we have seen in the past. Players like Shaul and Westerman give their all every week for the team and these are the players we must keep and encourage others to follow their example. If they can't then they should leave at the earliest opportunity. More importantly though, in the short term we must simply stop this slide we are currently on, find a way to dig deep and turn these results around. If we don't, I fear the worst for our season and the club as a whole.'"

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1144No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2020Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59821_1417161794.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59821.jpg

Quote: Doc Brown "At the end of the day for me it is not a simple case of changing the coach. We've been changing coaches for years and we've not seen any changes to the inconsistencies that have plagued the club. There needs to be a serious clear out and cleanup at the club as we try to get to the root of the problem. If ever there was a time for allowing a coach the time he needs to build his own team it is probably now.

But is Radford the coach to bring about these changes and be given that time? The answer for me is no. We're not playing any better under Radford than we was under Gentle. On the face of it we seem to be worse. Radford doesn't appear to know what his best team is based on his constant rotation and questionable selections, our defence is looking worse than last year and our attack looks just as clueless as in other years. His public criticism of players doesn't seem to be having any effect on the players other than on Ben Crooks who seems to be bereft of confidence. That's not good. Nor is his public admittance that he doesn't know what the problem with the team is or how to address it. It is a problem that has affected our previous coaches but Radford was supposed to be the man that had the answers.

Most crucially though, we currently sit 10th in the table and based on current form we're more likely to slip further down the table rather than up it. For a team that finished 6th for the previous two years that is not good enough. A change in coach should be for the better but that doesn't appear to be the case with Radford.

Now it is not up to me whether Radford goes or not. It is AP's decision and his alone. If Radford stays then I hope he can turn this around and show us why he got the job in the first place. But whether he stays or goes, the man in charge needs a good background staff supporting him. Based on what is available on the club website we look light in this area compared to other clubs. We've got some great training facilities but without the staff then we're hindering ourselves.

On the playing front, the squad we have is largely the same team that finished 6th two years on the bounce and that is the level we are at. If we are to become a top club then in the long term we must rid ourselves of the players that have been guilty of the complacent, halfhearted, efforts that we have seen in the past. Players like Shaul and Westerman give their all every week for the team and these are the players we must keep and encourage others to follow their example. If they can't then they should leave at the earliest opportunity. More importantly though, in the short term we must simply stop this slide we are currently on, find a way to dig deep and turn these results around. If we don't, I fear the worst for our season and the club as a whole.'"

Nail on the head eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Given that we've worked our way through a whole load of coaches over the last ten years, and the same problems have kept occurring, I think it's fair to assume that the coach isn't entirely the problem.

Personally, I think we've settled for mediocrity for too long. Gone are the days when we went out and bought Barnett, Jason Smith, Prescott, Kearney etc. Fitzgibbon and O'Meley were probably the last examples, and they were coming to the end of their careers. This started under Sharp, continued under Agar, when we were using our Ozzie quota for players like Cusack, Byrne, Dykes etc who were either physically shot or no better than the players we could have found at Halifax, Doncaster, Batley etc.

I like Pearson's idea of bringing through a whole load of youth players, and hopefully it will free up money to supplement them with some really big signings. But then I do wonder about Pearson... He talks a lot about Wigan and their set up but they have dozens of support staff, focusing on every area of the team and the club. We have none of that, and don't seem to be trying to rectify that.

What I don't like, and haven't liked since it was announced, is the appointment of Radford as coach. For me, he was one of our most indisciplined players - and now, lo and behold, the discipline of the team on the pitch is shocking. That Rankin penalty at the start of the second half on Saturday summed it up for me. That reminded me of the sort of penalty Radford used to give away himself.

We all recognise there is a problem with the culture of the players at the club - only here for the beer etc - so to appoint somebody who has been an integral part of that culture as the head coach was asking for trouble in my opinion.

It was never going to work, but I thought it might go marginally better than this. Now it's falling apart he's thrashing around.

Can somebody explain to me how you can loan Arundel to Bradford - who will be eyeing us up as a team to overtake if they get their points back - and then a fortnight later pick a winger at centre and moan about how few centres you've got?

IMO Pearson has to bite the bullet, get on the plane, go to Australia with a blank cheque and bring back an experienced, hard line, successful Australian coach. Not an assistant coach, a coach. Somebody proven. It will cost the absolute earth, but it's going to cost him more in the long run through lost ticket money, lost merchandise money, lost prize money and money frittered away on loads and loads of signings like Liam Colbon and Jason Crookes if he doesn't do it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29509
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Everyone agrees that the club needs a change in culture amongst other more tangible things and it's disappointing that after almost 3 years under pearson we're not further on than we'd like. Where some seem to disagree is who is the best man (coach) to help implement these changes. Some say radford, some not. My take on it is that radford may well be the man but entrusting him with it is a major risk and one I don't think the club can afford to take. He may turn out to be a great coach but at this stage his abilities are unknown. Would you trust a major change project within your organisation to someone with no experience or would you bring in someone with a proven track record? Entrusting it to a first time coach with barely any time as an understudy is asking for trouble. I hope pearson wises up quickly and brings in someone with a proven track record. I don't mind if radford stays to learn from him but unless pearson want to be looking at financial meltdown then he needs to act

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40284.jpg

Quote: Jake the Peg "Everyone agrees that the club needs a change in culture amongst other more tangible things and it's disappointing that after almost 3 years under pearson we're not further on than we'd like. Where some seem to disagree is who is the best man (coach) to help implement these changes. Some say radford, some not. My take on it is that radford may well be the man but entrusting him with it is a major risk and one I don't think the club can afford to take. He may turn out to be a great coach but at this stage his abilities are unknown. Would you trust a major change project within your organisation to someone with no experience or would you bring in someone with a proven track record? Entrusting it to a first time coach with barely any time as an understudy is asking for trouble. I hope pearson wises up quickly and brings in someone with a proven track record. I don't mind if radford stays to learn from him but unless pearson want to be looking at financial meltdown then he needs to act'"

I can fully understand that point of view. But if not Radford, who?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29509
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: *1865* "I can fully understand that point of view. But if not Radford, who?'"

That's not my choice to make. if it were then I'd weigh up the likely cost of someone I could almost certainly trust to do it against the likely cost of radford not doing it then I'd go out and get the best person I could within that budget. Likely be an ozzie and likely cost a wedge but the cost in real terms would be less than I'd lose if radford does't work which could see every penny pearson has spent to date and much more go down the pan.

What makes you so sure radford is the man to trust the future of the club with?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6766No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30566.jpg
I don't see it as a job. It is a passion and love that we all share. Neil Hudgell:30566.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "Serious question, but have you ever seen him play?'"

Is this something you ask everyone who disagrees with you?

I'm not sure what makes you think he is at the same level or even improved since his last spell in RL.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29754No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16500_1696696672.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16500.jpg

Quote: Rupert Pupkin "Is this something you ask everyone who disagrees with you?

I'm not sure what makes you think he is at the same level or even improved since his last spell in RL.'"

Can't be any worse than Sam Moa in your opinion, surely!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24955No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rupert Pupkin "Is this something you ask everyone who disagrees with you?

I'm not sure what makes you think he is at the same level or even improved since his last spell in RL.'"

Surley it's a good question, not worried about your opinion, we could sign Thurston and you would put a negative spin on it, your constant drivel on here about anything Hull FC is pathetic.

The funniest thing is the fact you support a team that has won nothing major for nearly 30 years, in fact when was the last time you made a major final? The way you go on about us, you would think you supported the worlds greatest team.

It's good that you are sticking up for Standee, you have about the same rugby knowledge.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6766No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30566.jpg
I don't see it as a job. It is a passion and love that we all share. Neil Hudgell:30566.jpg

Quote: Mrs Barista "Can't be any worse than Sam Moa in your opinion, surely!'"

Did ok in SL, not a stand out prop by the way, done very well at the Chucks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6766No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30566.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "Surley it's a good question, not worried about your opinion, we could sign Thurston and you would put a negative spin on it, your constant drivel on here about anything Hull FC is pathetic.

The funniest thing is the fact you support a team that has won nothing major for nearly 30 years, in fact when was the last time you made a major final? The way you go on about us, you would think you supported the worlds greatest team.

It's good that you are sticking up for Standee, you have about the same rugby knowledge.'"

Why don't you dig up my comments on Paea or Carvell? At least get it right!

Not at all but I know where our club is, I don't live in dream land like the majority on here who think your a big club and have the right to beat any team in SL!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24955No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rupert Pupkin "Why don't you dig up my comments on Paea or Carvell? At least get it right!

Not at all but I know where our club is, I don't live in dream land like the majority on here who think your a big club and have the right to beat any team in SL!'"

Ok then, what's your opinion of Sa, do you think he is a good signing for Hull at centre?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40284.jpg

Quote: Jake the Peg "What makes you so sure radford is the man to trust the future of the club with?'"

I'm not, I'm just sick of the endless cycle of failure. I think Radford could be that man as he fits the profile of what AP wants. He's determined, focused, identifies with the club and has been successful as a player. It's also important that Radford knows exactly where the problems lie in our club, he's been very public in stating it. He's also an honest guy, and I think if he thought he couldn't do the job he'd be honest enough to admit it.

I think AP is very clear in what he wants, if he thought it was going wrong he'd change it before it gets too far.

We have to trust somebody some day, I think i'd rather it was somebody who was a fan like me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6766No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2022Dec 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
30566.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "Ok then, what's your opinion of Sa, do you think he is a good signing for Hull at centre?'"

I don't know, I asked what made you think his game could have improved? He was good at Catalan but has since been playing in an inferior game to RL, with inferior training and playing with inferior players. Not sure about his injury record but some have mentioned it ain't great. Get the player he was at Catalan and he will be a decent signing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5202
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67329_1392756525.jpg
Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand Workin' in the dark against your fellow man But as sure as God made black and white What's down in the dark will be brought to the light:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67329.jpg

Quote: Rupert Pupkin "I don't know, I asked what made you think his game could have improved? He was good at Catalan but has since been playing in an inferior game to RL, with inferior training and playing with inferior players. Not sure about his injury record but some have mentioned it ain't great. Get the player he was at Catalan and he will be a decent signing.'"

So at best it will be a DECENT signing ?

503 posts in 35 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
503 posts in 35 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.46337890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
Emagdnim13
10m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
10m