JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201510 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Firstly I think Steve Bruce's comments are said with good intentions because of the media attention against Evans but ill advised because as previous contributors have said would he be prepared to sign him if he was good enough. There would be a massive out cry against I am fairly sure.
As regards the conviction. I agree with others that it is difficult to understand, after reading the evidence in a previous post, why one was convicted and the other not.
Should he be allowed to play football again? Yes. Why? Because as it has been pointed by others there are players who have committed crimes and have been to prison and are now playing or have played after serving their time. He has served his. However what club in their right mind would sign him and risk the backlash of the supporters and probably loss of income to the club, after all the media attention and the nature of the crime?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg
[quote="Philip Larkin":2lhqd089] There ain’t no music East side of this city That’s mellow like mine is, That’s mellow like mine. [/quote:2lhqd089]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32444.jpg

Quote: *1865* "Rehabilitation is a right. Showing you the flaws in your argument is not inflammatory.'"

Rehabilitation is NOT a right. It is a choice made by the offender.

In the full sense of the word rehabilitation can only be achieved by the offender taking full responsibility for their crime and demonstrating their contrition by word as well as deed. Rehabilitation is not 'ours to give'.

There are very few professions that would welcome a convicted rapist returning to their previous career path full stop and even fewer that would do so without the offender having shown any remorse or made any apology to their victim. Soccer stars are are idolised by many and, given Evans' attitude, it would send entirely the wrong message to the youth of today for this convicted rapist to be welcomed back into the fold as if he is blameless.

Regardless of individuals' opinions regarding the rights and wrongs of this case, he remains a convicted rapist whose appeal was thrown out. If/until that status changes that is how he must be judged. As he believes he is innocent, and has shown no contrition, nor made no apology to his victim, how can he undertake his rehabilitation? He doesn't admit there is a crime for him to undertake rehabilitation from.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40284.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "Rehabilitation is NOT a right. It is a choice made by the offender.'"

Every person who meets the criteria has a right to undergo rehabilitation, so yes, it's his choice to make but having made that choice it is no less his right

Quote: WormInHand "In the full sense of the word rehabilitation can only be achieved by the offender taking full responsibility for their crime and demonstrating their contrition by word as well as deed. Rehabilitation is not 'ours to give'.'"

That's a romantic idea, but it's not how the law sees it at all.

Quote: WormInHand "There are very few professions that would welcome a convicted rapist returning to their previous career path full stop and even fewer that would do so without the offender having shown any remorse or made any apology to their victim. Soccer stars are are idolised by many and, given Evans' attitude, it would send entirely the wrong message to the youth of today for this convicted rapist to be welcomed back into the fold as if he is blameless.'"

Again, why should he apologise for something he knows he hasn't done?
Also, football is littered with convicted criminals, as is rugby. Some have even killed and been accepted back into the game.

Quote: WormInHand "Regardless of individuals' opinions regarding the rights and wrongs of this case, he remains a convicted rapist whose appeal was thrown out. If/until that status changes that is how he must be judged. As he believes he is innocent, and has shown no contrition, nor made no apology to his victim, how can he undertake his rehabilitation? He doesn't admit there is a crime for him to undertake rehabilitation from.'"

Again, under the law he doesn't have to. You could even argue that because he knows he didn't commit a crime, why does he have to be rehabilitated at all?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg
[quote="Philip Larkin":2lhqd089] There ain’t no music East side of this city That’s mellow like mine is, That’s mellow like mine. [/quote:2lhqd089]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32444.jpg

Quote: *1865* "Every person who meets the criteria has a right to undergo rehabilitation, so yes, it's his choice to make but having made that choice it is no less his right'"

Ah - you're talking about the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. I didn't realise, as Evans [idoesn't[/i meet the criteria. His conviction was for five years, so will never be spent. I was talking about the literal meaning of rehabilitation, which means the willingness, ability and activity of a person following a trauma to reintegrate themselves back into society. In the case of a criminal, to atone for that crime and demonstrate remorse.

Quote: *1865* "That's a romantic idea, but it's not how the law sees it at all. '"

Romantic? I'd offer literal, the Act not being applicable in this case.

Quote: *1865* "Again, why should he apologise for something he knows he hasn't done?
Also, football is littered with convicted criminals, as is rugby. Some have even killed and been accepted back into the game.'"

He [iknows[/i he hasn't done? The jury who passed verdict, and the judges who rejected his appeal don't agree with his [iopinion[/i. I'm not commenting on whether he should be eligible for another role in soccer or anywhere else. That decision is down to the prospective employer, not I, you or he.

Quote: *1865* "Again, under the law he doesn't have to.'"

I don't know what you mean by this. Under law, he doesn't have to what?

Quote: *1865* "You could even argue that because he knows he didn't commit a crime, why does he have to be rehabilitated at all?'"

By maintaining his innocence he clearly does not believe he has anything to rehabilitate himself from, agreed. However, society and the law disagree, again, with his opinion. He remains a convicted rapist at the current time. Incidentally, still with more than two years of his sentence to serve. He is currently out on licence only.

RankPostsTeam
International Star257No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67401_1399996203.jpg
Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67401.jpg

Quote: knockersbumpMKII "Have you read the transcripts yet then sheeple???? Or are you going to come out with an educated opinion or just carry on talking b0llocks???'"

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-che ... dwyn-evans

I've read this. I have also I'd imagine sat through more court cases than you. (But that's just an educated guess).

Bottom line is 12 men & women sat and listened to ALL the evidence. Having done that they decided that the man who sneaked into the hotel room and decided to take advantage of a clearly (going by the experts opinion here) drunk woman was guilty of rape. That is British justice system working. It's far from perfect. But it's far far better than most systems in the world.

That makes Mr Evans a convicted rapist.
Now he has not served his time. He has served half and has been allowed to serve the remaining part in the community. It's now I struggle with the what job he can and can't do. Certain jobs, police, teacher, health worker, etc have it written in contract / law that you can't go back once convicted. Football isn't one of them. Oldham Athletic well know this. Lee Hughes killer of a person. Served his prison time and played for them.
What crimes can or can't you go back to playing football again after committing?
Now the PFA need to assess this and lets it's members know and quickly.
Sport is littered with convicts. Mike Tyson anyone? Phil the Power Taylor? Where is the line drawn? Is it only team sports? Is it only football? That's the debate we should be having.

Also the other consideration is the victim. I doubt anyone from either side has stopped to think of her through the past few weeks that Mr Evans has been on e front pages.
Quote: knockersbumpMKII "Have you read the transcripts yet then sheeple???? Or are you going to come out with an educated opinion or just carry on talking b0llocks???'"

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-che ... dwyn-evans

I've read this. I have also I'd imagine sat through more court cases than you. (But that's just an educated guess).

Bottom line is 12 men & women sat and listened to ALL the evidence. Having done that they decided that the man who sneaked into the hotel room and decided to take advantage of a clearly (going by the experts opinion here) drunk woman was guilty of rape. That is British justice system working. It's far from perfect. But it's far far better than most systems in the world.

That makes Mr Evans a convicted rapist.
Now he has not served his time. He has served half and has been allowed to serve the remaining part in the community. It's now I struggle with the what job he can and can't do. Certain jobs, police, teacher, health worker, etc have it written in contract / law that you can't go back once convicted. Football isn't one of them. Oldham Athletic well know this. Lee Hughes killer of a person. Served his prison time and played for them.
What crimes can or can't you go back to playing football again after committing?
Now the PFA need to assess this and lets it's members know and quickly.
Sport is littered with convicts. Mike Tyson anyone? Phil the Power Taylor? Where is the line drawn? Is it only team sports? Is it only football? That's the debate we should be having.

Also the other consideration is the victim. I doubt anyone from either side has stopped to think of her through the past few weeks that Mr Evans has been on e front pages.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "Ah - you're talking about the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. I didn't realise, as Evans [idoesn't[/i meet the criteria. His conviction was for five years, so will never be spent. I was talking about the literal meaning of rehabilitation, which means the willingness, ability and activity of a person following a trauma to reintegrate themselves back into society. In the case of a criminal, to atone for that crime and demonstrate remorse.

Romantic? I'd offer literal, the Act not being applicable in this case.

He [iknows[/i he hasn't done? The jury who passed verdict, and the judges who rejected his appeal don't agree with his [iopinion[/i. I'm not commenting on whether he should be eligible for another role in soccer or anywhere else. That decision is down to the prospective employer, not I, you or he.

I don't know what you mean by this. Under law, he doesn't have to what?

By maintaining his innocence he clearly does not believe he has anything to rehabilitate himself from, agreed. However, society and the law disagree, again, with his opinion. He remains a convicted rapist at the current time. Incidentally, still with more than two years of his sentence to serve. He is currently out on licence only.'"
I'll happily concede this point, I certainly don't know the technicalities of the law, the term rehabilitation has been used by solicitors, MP's and others so I used it.

However, my main point is that he should be allowed to continue his career as there's no rule within football from preventing it (rightly or wrongly). That is an important part of any rehabilitation. I do feel there is a frenzy about this whipped up in the main part by the media and there's a mob culture that will do anything to stop him resuming his career, highlighted by the ridiculous petition set up by Oldham [ifans[/i which reached 70,000+ meanwhile only 4,181 of these [isupporters[/i bothered to turn up yesterday.
If we're not careful, Ched Evans will end up becoming the victim in all this, now whether he raped her or not, he certainly shouldn't become that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star580
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

Quote: @airlie_bird "httpsdecided to take advantage of a clearly (going by the experts opinion here) drunk woman was guilty of rape. That is British justice system working. It's far from perfect. But it's far far better than most systems in the world.

That is the pertinent part. If she was incapable of giving consent to Evans, then she must have been incapable of given consent to anyone. So there should have been two convictions.

RankPostsTeam
International Star257No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67401_1399996203.jpg
Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67401.jpg

Quote: Large Paws "

She met with (I think his name was MacDonald) in the street. He was as far as I know alone. She was also alone. One thing led to another and they ended up at the hotel. Not forced. He and she engage in sex. Consensual? One has to assume at that point it was accepted by the jury that it was. She with him alone in a hotel room. What I would imagine she didn't expect would be for his mate to trick his way into them room (read the appeal verdict) and then for him to take advantage and for his mates to record it through a window.

The appeal judge deals with her intoxication and all the other "issues" and concluded the jury made an honest decision and the trial judge didn't sway the decision. As I say that's our justice system. It works generally well. You only have to attend any crown or magistrates court on any given day to see how many cases pass through them and compare that to how many miscarriages of justice we have. It works and it works well. Once we start to disregard the jury's verdicts then we will have wide spread anarchy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg

Quote: @airlie_bird "She met with (I think his name was MacDonald) in the street. He was as far as I know alone. She was also alone. One thing led to another and they ended up at the hotel. Not forced. He and she engage in sex. Consensual? One has to assume at that point it was accepted by the jury that it was. She with him alone in a hotel room. What I would imagine she didn't expect would be for his mate to trick his way into them room (read the appeal verdict) and then for him to take advantage and for his mates to record it through a window.

The appeal judge deals with her intoxication and all the other "issues" and concluded the jury made an honest decision and the trial judge didn't sway the decision. As I say that's our justice system. It works generally well. You only have to attend any crown or magistrates court on any given day to see how many cases pass through them and compare that to how many miscarriages of justice we have. It works and it works well. Once we start to disregard the jury's verdicts then we will have wide spread anarchy.'"

But also once we stop scrutinising it, we open it to abuse.

RankPostsTeam
International Star257No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Aug 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67401_1399996203.jpg

Quote: *1865* "But also once we stop scrutinising it, we open it to abuse.'"

Very true, and scrutinise we should, where and when it's apprpriate. In this case it's been over scrutinised simply because he's a footballer. If he was a builder, bin man etc it wouldn't be. We have had trial by jury. We have had a failed appeal. And now he's hoping to over turn those verdicts. If he does (which I doubt very much he will) win an appeal then it's a whole new ball game. But I have yet to read anything that makes me feel he will clear his name. That's not to say he has to accept the decision, but all of us on here should as we do not know enough to question it.

Generally speaking though when you have 12 totally independent jury members it is very hard to claim any abuse. It takes a lot of work by police CPS barristers, QCs etc to get a case to trial. I'm sure any abuse would have been recognised way before the appeal.
Even during a trial the police and CPS don't stop the work. So yes by all means scrutinise but once all avenues are exhausted accept decisions which ever way they go.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach20992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

“We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club. Thats why you got the Bullet Agar...Adam Pearson wants winners...not useless gits like you. "Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers." L.Daley 2005:

Quote: @airlie_bird "Very true, and scrutinise we should, where and when it's apprpriate. In this case it's been over scrutinised simply because he's a footballer. If he was a builder, bin man etc it wouldn't be. We have had trial by jury. We have had a failed appeal. And now he's hoping to over turn those verdicts. If he does (which I doubt very much he will) win an appeal then it's a whole new ball game. But I have yet to read anything that makes me feel he will clear his name. That's not to say he has to accept the decision, but all of us on here should as we do not know enough to question it.

Generally speaking though when you have 12 totally independent jury members it is very hard to claim any abuse. It takes a lot of work by police CPS barristers, QCs etc to get a case to trial. I'm sure any abuse would have been recognised way before the appeal.
Even during a trial the police and CPS don't stop the work. So yes by all means scrutinise but once all avenues are exhausted accept decisions which ever way they go.'"

Totally agree about how trials come about and how they go once they start.I have done jury service twice and its a minefield once it starts,points of law is the big one,lost count how many times we went out.

RankPostsTeam
International Star580
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

Quote: @airlie_bird "
I, also, am reasonably au fait with our C.J. system, and all its foibles. I have seen acquittals in cases where, on the face of it, there was far more 'real' evidence than 'opinion' on whether consent was, or wasn't given, or capable of being given.
Evans obviously believes it was given, and that, I suspect, is the reason he believes he is innocent. Just my opinion.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Rehabilitation should be afforded to all, no matter what the crime. That doesn't mean that certain criminals should be let back into society at all or as if nothing happened but as a very famous & one of the greatest minds of his time once said
"A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals."
It's as applicable today (probably more so) as it was almost 150 years ago...

We punish but fail to rehabilitate & treat criminals and that is one of the many prime reasons why criminals continue on in a life of crime after their punishment, much of which perpetuates itself through generations and as we are in a broken society with crime increasing (certainly in this country) turning the tide just isn't going to happen any time soon.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg

Quote: knockersbumpMKII "Rehabilitation should be afforded to all, no matter what the crime. That doesn't mean that certain criminals should be let back into society at all or as if nothing happened but as a very famous & one of the greatest minds of his time once said
"A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals."
It's as applicable today (probably more so) as it was almost 150 years ago...

We punish but fail to rehabilitate & treat criminals and that is one of the many prime reasons why criminals continue on in a life of crime after their punishment, much of which perpetuates itself through generations and as we are in a broken society with crime increasing (certainly in this country) turning the tide just isn't going to happen any time soon.'"

Well, quite. But the desire to enter into rehabilitation has to be there with the individual, otherwise it will fail. Ask any recovering drug addict, alcoholic or, indeed, released prisoner who has no intention of returning to gaol.

But Evans believes he is innocent. Therefore he doesn't recognise the need for rehabilitation. How can you recover from a crime you're accused of perpetuating if you don't accept a crime has been committed?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Ched Evans does have the right to look for work again. Even to try and resurrect his football career.

The thing is, though, the fans/public/sponsors etc also have a right to say whether or not they want him at any particular club. This is just as they do with any player, it's just that in this case the weight of opinion appears to be heavy enough to actually have some ramifications for the clubs so far. Football has been morally bankrupt for a fair while, which is why his proposed moves have broken down because of the financial impact, not any moral judgement by the clubs concerned.

To me, there's a subtle difference between somebody being banned from doing something, and somebody not being wanted. A possible analogy would be that once Rolf Harris is released he is free to paint or make TV programmes, but don't expect people to queue up to buy/watch.

As is so often the case on here, people need to remember that a sports club is very different to any other type of business/employer, and one of these differences is the amount and type of stakeholders they have.

67 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
67 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.02685546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
5m
Decision on the field
NSW
12m