FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > Westerman were he should be !!!
140 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: *1865* "Some of the criticism thrown at Westerman, people should be embarassed.'"

Are you hull fcs chief scout? Would make sense, and I blame you for everything haha, seriously though, you say I only see what I want to, so tell me when I'm watching Friday night, what should I be looking for in westermans game that makes you rate him so highly?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69715_1406814004.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69715.jpg

Sean o'loughlins style off role.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40284.jpg

Quote: Tinkerman23 "Are you hull fcs chief scout? Would make sense, and I blame you for everything haha, seriously though, you say I only see what I want to, so tell me when I'm watching Friday night, what should I be looking for in westermans game that makes you rate him so highly?'"
Hopefully, in his new role he'll have his hands on the ball more often so he can show us the skills we all know he has from his Cas days. But things you always get with Joe is passion, effort & commitment. He's always first man into the tackle and is constantly talking. He does a lot of donkey work when the teams on the back foot. He has an offload, clever late step the ability to catch out lazy defenders. He had impressive attacking stats last year without even being used as an attacking weapon.

The criticisms Joe gets most of all is the silly 'not professional' which I don't see how anyone outside the club could know and the 'He cost us £xxxxxxx' Those two I refuse to accept as legitimate.
The arguments around errors and penalties is valid, as there isn't a player in the game that [icouldn't[/i improve in this respect. But there are mitigating circumstances, especially when you're playing 80 minutes week in week out and for some strange reason you're being used as a crash forward.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg
[quote="Philip Larkin":2lhqd089] There ain’t no music East side of this city That’s mellow like mine is, That’s mellow like mine. [/quote:2lhqd089]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32444.jpg

Quote: easthull fc fan "so when he was 21 he should have been the ultimate player? 3 years ago like name 1 British player at the age of 21 who got it all right? Name 1 British player at the age of 24 that gets it always right? Oh & grow up & support our players...all of them.'"

What are you waffling on about? Ultimate at 21? No, you've lost me there, cherub.

As for support, I'll be yelling for Westerman in his black and white shirt same as all the other players. Like I do every - that's every - game. I just won't be expecting anything new from him, and will be holding my breath in tension every time someone passes to him in a dangerous position or he's asked to pull off a clean, strong tackle at a tense moment. I don't hate him, I just think he could do a lot better and he makes me nervous and unfailingly frustrated after he balls-up again. Seen nothing in pre-season to infer he's addressed these issues, but I'll give him every chance.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: easthull fc fan "Sean o'loughlins style off role.'"

Haha please don't haha stop it, your killing me haha I hope you do only mean is role and are not comparing him to westerman, can't see westerman booming 30 yard passes out wide either way ever! Bet he as a blinder Friday night now, hope so, COYH

RankPostsTeam
International Star4255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69715_1406814004.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69715.jpg

You said he has been stagnant for 3 years so he was 21 3 years ago...& his style as been the extra prop (gallen style) now he is a ball playing 13.. I didn't say he is Sean O did I? I just said his style..so keep up Derek (Ricky gervais style) icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29775No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: *1865* "Got any proof, or can you even remember these games he cost us? My suggestion is you're talking out of your ar$e, and you're another one of the ones that make stupid references to a fee he had nothing to do with. If you don't rate Westerman, you don't understand rugby league, ask any of his team mates or anyone in the game if he's any good.

And please don't give it the pathetic Whiting at 13 drivel, Rich doesn't even want to play there FFS.'"

Over-egging it somewhat. Lee Richardson thinks he's bang average and totally over-rated, for example.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: *1865* "As does O'Loughlin. I also don't see him as being any more sloppy than anyone else in the team, the stats you yourself provided proved that.'"

I don't think O'Loughlin does it as often as Westerman. May well come with experience, though, it wasn't until around the same age that O'Loughlin finally started to step out from the shadow of being Farrell's inferior brother-in-law. I'm just stating what I think he needs to improve, I fully believe he is capable of doing so. In the big games and the big moments, Wigan turn to O'Loughlin because they can trust him to choose and execute the right play. We can't say the same of Westerman yet, but hopefully we'll get there soon.

And I agree he's not really any more sloppy than most of his teammates (obviously some exceptions), I was meaning if he wants to attain O'Loughlin's sort of level. We are much sloppier as a team than Wigan.

Quote: *1865* "He'll hopefully be able to take more control of a game from 13 and grow as an influence on the team.

People on here who know me, know how high a regard I hold Westy in. For me the kids a true great waiting to happen, people forget he's only 24, that's the same age as Chris Green! He's got ten years ahead of him, he needs to make this 'his club' and take control of this young group and lead them forward.'"

I hope that's how it pans out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: *1865* "Hopefully, in his new role he'll have his hands on the ball more often so he can show us the skills we all know he has from his Cas days. But things you always get with Joe is passion, effort & commitment. He's always first man into the tackle and is constantly talking. He does a lot of donkey work when the teams on the back foot. He has an offload, clever late step the ability to catch out lazy defenders. He had impressive attacking stats last year without even being used as an attacking weapon.

The criticisms Joe gets most of all is the silly 'not professional' which I don't see how anyone outside the club could know and the 'He cost us £xxxxxxx' Those two I refuse to accept as legitimate.
The arguments around errors and penalties is valid, as there isn't a player in the game that [icouldn't[/i improve in this respect. But there are mitigating circumstances, especially when you're playing 80 minutes week in week out and for some strange reason you're being used as a crash forward.'"

I hope your, and I can't wait to see him in this new role. I honestly think you'll be saying this in another 3 years time, at the end of the day, it's a game of rugby and if he was as talented as you say, he should be bringing more to a game no matter what position he played, and theys plenty of other 2nd rowers with ball handling skills that manage to use them in that position. And lets not forget, he's a big lump of a lad, why shouldn't we having him crashing on to a ball out wide, oh I forget, he can't catch a ball fired at him at pace! Sorry, I can't help it hahaha

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "Brough is where he is now because of sheer talent that was glaringly obvious to anyone watching him in the early days. I never felt indifferent to him like I do to Westerman. He also addressed his underlying issues to allow his talent to flourish into the class player he is today. I've watched Westerman stay stagnant for 3 years, failing to get a grip of himself and sulking because he wasn't being played as he wanted to be. Captain? Mwahh ha ha!'"

That's revisionist nonsense IMO. Brough was nowhere near the player he is now when with us. He was a great kicking game and a bit more potential in other areas of his game, but incapable of playing 80 minutes without blowing through his backside, and it was Cooke who organised the team. It wasn't until Wakefield that he really started to consistently look the part.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg
[quote="Philip Larkin":2lhqd089] There ain’t no music East side of this city That’s mellow like mine is, That’s mellow like mine. [/quote:2lhqd089]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32444.jpg

Quote: carl_spackler "That's revisionist nonsense IMO. Brough was nowhere near the player he is now when with us. He was a great kicking game and a bit more potential in other areas of his game, but incapable of playing 80 minutes without blowing through his backside, and it was Cooke who organised the team. It wasn't until Wakefield that he really started to consistently look the part.'"

Never said he was. I said he had raw talent that was obvious to see. He was immature and also had disciplinary issues, but as I said, I was dismayed when he left, knowing he'd be back to bite us. Credit, he learnt his lesson, addressed his weaknesses and is what he is now.

Why is it no-one seems to be able to do that at Hull? That is the underlying issue at our club and, lo and behold, we have Radford in the paper before the season's kicked off, bemoaning the lifestyle choices of some of our players.

ccs
RankPostsTeam
International Star5318
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Is Hodgson the new Griffin, or is it all about pace?:

Quote: Tinkerman23 "Think people forget , because he's been around for along time that he's only 22, surely he's still young enough to be classed as a prospect, if not, hes at least got his best years ahead of him, when the teams right and where playing well, think westerman will be a stand out player'"

Changed your view, it seems.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "Never said he was. I said he had raw talent that was obvious to see. He was immature and also had disciplinary issues, but as I said, I was dismayed when he left, knowing he'd be back to bite us. Credit, he learnt his lesson, addressed his weaknesses and is what he is now.'"

I still disagree. He showed the raw talent of a great kicking game, but nothing else exceptional. His ball-handling was competent but nothing special, his running game was not at all evident as to how good it could be because he simply wasn't fit enough, and we never saw his organisational skills because as I said, Cooke did it all for us.

Quote: WormInHand "Why is it no-one seems to be able to do that at Hull? That is the underlying issue at our club and, lo and behold, we have Radford in the paper before the season's kicked off, bemoaning the lifestyle choices of some of our players.'"

Brough himself has said being cut loose by us was his turning point, so realistically we still wouldn't have got the Brough of now even if we'd kept him. He needed the shock of being binned and then having time in the championship to work at his game.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg

Quote: ccs "Changed your view, it seems.'"

That was 2 years ago. The issue is, Westerman hasn't kicked on and has stagnated, sadly like most of our young prospects do. (Praying Lineham and Crooks buck this trend.)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg

Quote: carl_spackler "I still disagree. He showed the raw talent of a great kicking game, but nothing else exceptional. His ball-handling was competent but nothing special, his running game was not at all evident as to how good it could be because he simply wasn't fit enough, and we never saw his organisational skills because as I said, Cooke did it all for us.

Brough himself has said being cut loose by us was his turning point, so realistically we still wouldn't have got the Brough of now even if we'd kept him. He needed the shock of being binned and then having time in the championship to work at his game.'"

Well, we'll disagree. I thought he showed his potential as a rugby brain and ability to direct in addition to his kicking game.

I do agree with your latter point. What is it about our club that engenders this mindset of low expectation? Watch Briscoe get MOS next year.

140 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
140 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1611328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
5m
Film game
Boss Hog
5m