Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78640_1624835470.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78640.jpg

Quote: mwindass "His decision making with ball in hand isn't good enough to be a top SL full back. I lost count the amount of times he took space away from the centre/winger and just died with the ball.

Connor on the other hand can pick a pass, and 9 times out of 10 picks the right option.

Shaul is 29 now. I don't think we can expect more than what he already offers.'"

Shaul has consistently offered more in attack for what he does extremely well than any other FB in SL, what other FB in the last 8 years has been able to open defences with his electric off the mark pace and elusiveness in open play on a regular basis?

Would you not say that his inability to develop in the way you're stating is down to the coaches that have been around him for the 7 years (discounting this year obvs) since he broke into the first team? Radford was the assistant coach with Last doing his thing, Shaul had just 5 appearances IIRC when he played for us at wembley, Gentle was already on the way out according to some on here by the September and radford was running the show in all but name.

So Radford got hold of him at 21 and just look at how many players that have come through our system in skill positions that have flourished/progressed under his and last's tenure, that will be absolutely no-one. Shaul as well as Logan, Crooks, Abdull, Hadley even Lineham (though coming from West Yorks), all fallen by the wayside or not improved despite their crackerjack starts, not just because of the individuals themselves but because of bang average coaching.

Yes, Shaul is 29, and it's far harder to change things, but writing him off and saying he can't improve is not just premature, it's oh so predictable from some who are all ready to dump on players without even giving them a chance!

As for Connor, yes, he can pick the right pass most of the time (I'd say more 8/10 but whatever), yes he offers something in attack that Shaul will never have, Connor is never scoring this try in a million years https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/40763731 , that he can read things differenty to Shaul in those situations that we see as his strengths, I won't argue from that standpoint.
However, Shaul is by far the better defender, he backs up more, he can scoot away from dummy half or open field play that Connor could only dream about. Connor is lazy at FB when the ball is coming from a kick, has he ever made a single break from FB from a kick?
Both players have their strengths and weaknesses, I would like to see Shaul get a chance to go back to FB after having some time under BH, will that happen, probaby not, but discounting that he can improve in certain areas under a former international FB, and at the same time ignore that Connor has his flaws in attack and defence at FB, just as Shaul has but in different ways, is in my opinion shortsighted.

Let's support him after such a horrendous time with his injury, I hope he can get a place in the side, whether that be at FB, interchange hooker or utility choice on the bench. If he can't, or isn't able to get back to full fitness then we have no room for sentiment, until that time comes we be positive and give him as much as fans can do the support players deserve.
Quote: mwindass "His decision making with ball in hand isn't good enough to be a top SL full back. I lost count the amount of times he took space away from the centre/winger and just died with the ball.

Connor on the other hand can pick a pass, and 9 times out of 10 picks the right option.

Shaul is 29 now. I don't think we can expect more than what he already offers.'"

Shaul has consistently offered more in attack for what he does extremely well than any other FB in SL, what other FB in the last 8 years has been able to open defences with his electric off the mark pace and elusiveness in open play on a regular basis?

Would you not say that his inability to develop in the way you're stating is down to the coaches that have been around him for the 7 years (discounting this year obvs) since he broke into the first team? Radford was the assistant coach with Last doing his thing, Shaul had just 5 appearances IIRC when he played for us at wembley, Gentle was already on the way out according to some on here by the September and radford was running the show in all but name.

So Radford got hold of him at 21 and just look at how many players that have come through our system in skill positions that have flourished/progressed under his and last's tenure, that will be absolutely no-one. Shaul as well as Logan, Crooks, Abdull, Hadley even Lineham (though coming from West Yorks), all fallen by the wayside or not improved despite their crackerjack starts, not just because of the individuals themselves but because of bang average coaching.

Yes, Shaul is 29, and it's far harder to change things, but writing him off and saying he can't improve is not just premature, it's oh so predictable from some who are all ready to dump on players without even giving them a chance!

As for Connor, yes, he can pick the right pass most of the time (I'd say more 8/10 but whatever), yes he offers something in attack that Shaul will never have, Connor is never scoring this try in a million years https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/40763731 , that he can read things differenty to Shaul in those situations that we see as his strengths, I won't argue from that standpoint.
However, Shaul is by far the better defender, he backs up more, he can scoot away from dummy half or open field play that Connor could only dream about. Connor is lazy at FB when the ball is coming from a kick, has he ever made a single break from FB from a kick?
Both players have their strengths and weaknesses, I would like to see Shaul get a chance to go back to FB after having some time under BH, will that happen, probaby not, but discounting that he can improve in certain areas under a former international FB, and at the same time ignore that Connor has his flaws in attack and defence at FB, just as Shaul has but in different ways, is in my opinion shortsighted.

Let's support him after such a horrendous time with his injury, I hope he can get a place in the side, whether that be at FB, interchange hooker or utility choice on the bench. If he can't, or isn't able to get back to full fitness then we have no room for sentiment, until that time comes we be positive and give him as much as fans can do the support players deserve.

RankPostsTeam
International Star409
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BumpyMcbump "Shaul has consistently offered more in attack for what he does extremely well than any other FB in SL, what other FB in the last 8 years has been able to open defences with his electric off the mark pace and elusiveness in open play on a regular basis?

As for Connor, yes, he can pick the right pass most of the time (I'd say more 8/10 but whatever), yes he offers something in attack that Shaul will never have, Connor is never scoring this try in a million years
Good argument.

What was the try you tried to link to? It wouldn’t work for me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BumpyMcbump "Shaul has consistently offered more in attack for what he does extremely well than any other FB in SL, what other FB in the last 8 years has been able to open defences with his electric off the mark pace and elusiveness in open play on a regular basis?

As for Connor, yes, he can pick the right pass most of the time (I'd say more 8/10 but whatever), yes he offers something in attack that Shaul will never have, Connor is never scoring this try in a million years

My initial point is that his decision making isn't good enough to be a top bracket SL full back. This issue would only be amplified at hooker.

Of course I want him to come back and play his part. But I don't see his future as a hooker, he should be outside back cover.

To say Radford didn't improve anyone is just wrong.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78640_1624835470.jpg

Quote: Mike1970 "Good argument.

What was the try you tried to link to? It wouldn’t work for me.'"

It was the Leeds CC semifinal where we smashed them and Shaul scored from 70 yards out, just one example of many where Shaul has a huge advantage in attack that Connor or simply doesn't have, it's swings and roundabouts. For all that Connor adds he also has his pitfalls, IMO I think on balance that Shaul is the better fullback, he offers equally in attack, just in a different way, but and again it's an opinion, I think he has the superior defence.
I just don't like that some are saying he can't do this or that because of his age or whatever, he's had a prop forward coaching him for 7 years whose idea of a winning formula was more smash bang wallop kick to the corner and rely on indivdual brilliance, if we have a coach who played in a skill position and can coach that (Lineham said it was a revelation been coached by BH after he'd left Hull) then you'd like to think that he (shaul) can take some of that going forward, even if it isn't at FB

This is just chatting about possibilities for Shaul and the club, if Shaul gets fit and we use him as interchange then that has a bearing on Johnstone, if Shaul is just a squad player going forward with him not getting regular first team games then does Shaul consider a move somewhere else?

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78640_1624835470.jpg

Quote: mwindass "My initial point is that his decision making isn't good enough to be a top bracket SL full back. This issue would only be amplified at hooker.

Of course I want him to come back and play his part. But I don't see his future as a hooker, he should be outside back cover.

To say Radford didn't improve anyone is just wrong.'"

I didn't say he didn't improve anyone, I said he didn't improve any of the skill positions and we lost youngsters coming through because of his way of coaching and attitude to signing players from outside the club more often than not as well as not using players correctly/to their strengths or in sides that were overall just poorly coached. Players who want to learn and have endeavour to succeed wil improve as they get older within a team environment, that doesn't mean that is all from the coach.

As for your last point, I understand that view, I personally would rather have Shaul as an interchange dummy half for now IF he can get fit and prove himself, the problem as I see it is that we have a great young FB in Wynn but Connor (unless injured) has that tied down, do we culture Wynn as the future at FB or, as we've seen in the recent past, he leaves to get a chance of first team experience elsewhere, it's just replicating what happened with Logan in many ways.

RankPostsTeam
International Star560
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

I don't think Shaul has ever recovered from the 'mistimed' tackle at Fev. He's not been the same since.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Jan 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4415_1281028317.jpg
FC TILL I DIE! [quote="Neil HFC"]Hull Kingston Rovers - Pride of Hull FC's B Team.[/quote] Hull City Kings of Yorkshire 1. Hull City 2. Middlesbrough 3. Barnsley 4. Doncaster 5. Leeds Utd 6. Sheff Wednesday 7. Sheff Utd 8. Huddersfield:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4415.jpg

9 times out of 10 nonsense

For starters he's threw at least 3 inceptions that's led to try ( 1 which cost us a cup final place )

Remember him bombing 2 trys against catalan due to forward passes

Also he cost us the game at Wigan giving a daft penalty in front of the sticks with the game all level

Yet people always Ignore connors major errors for some strange reason and still think he's god to some d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66735_1606413614.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66735.jpg

Quote: Thetalentboy "9 times out of 10 nonsense

For starters he's threw at least 3 inceptions that's led to try ( 1 which cost us a cup final place )

Remember him bombing 2 trys against catalan due to forward passes

Also he cost us the game at Wigan giving a daft penalty in front of the sticks with the game all level

Yet people always Ignore connors major errors for some strange reason and still think he's god to some
This thread is about Jamie, not Jake but please remember every player has a mistake in them and let's not forget how many pieces of individual brilliance he has created tries from.

Jamie is a great open field runner, he can pass but I think he's no longer our no. 1 fullback when everyone is fit.
I like others think he'd make a great running hooker akin to Daryl Clarke.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78640_1624835470.jpg

Quote: Large Paws "I don't think Shaul has ever recovered from the 'mistimed' tackle at Fev. He's not been the same since.'"

Mental scars can last a long time, it was an absolute 'car crash' of an impact (it wasn't a tackle), one that can and does end a career, the ref doing nothing pretty much led to how that game unfolded.
Not sure how much it afffected Shaul for similar scenarios since, but even if we don't consciously think about it in the moments leading up to similar, if it's in the back of your mind, you're more likely to change how you aproach that same scenario from a self preservation POV, even if the liklihood of it happening again is extremely unlikely.

RankPostsTeam
International Star560
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Quote: BumpyMcbump "Mental scars can last a long time, it was an absolute 'car crash' of an impact (it wasn't a tackle), one that can and does end a career, the ref doing nothing pretty much led to how that game unfolded.
Not sure how much it afffected Shaul for similar scenarios since, but even if we don't consciously think about it in the moments leading up to similar, if it's in the back of your mind, you're more likely to change how you aproach that same scenario from a self preservation POV, even if the liklihood of it happening again is extremely unlikely.'"

Which is why I raise the point. It is my belief that it has been possible to see a change in his game, since that evening.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78640_1624835470.jpg

Quote: Large Paws "Which is why I raise the point. It is my belief that it has been possible to see a change in his game, since that evening.'"

Can you point specifically to when this is noticeable and what exactly what we're loooking for?

RankPostsTeam
International Star560
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Quote: BumpyMcbump "Can you point specifically to when this is noticeable and what exactly what we're loooking for?'"

Might be just me, but I think he is less direct when he takes and then returns the ball. He appears to me to be reluctant to run it in and dances across the line a lot. I realise he has had concussions as well which may affect his game.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player83No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78640_1624835470.jpg

Quote: Large Paws "Might be just me, but I think he is less direct when he takes and then returns the ball. He appears to me to be reluctant to run it in and dances across the line a lot. I realise he has had concussions as well which may affect his game.'"

Might that not be that in some circumstances he's looking for a gap to break through instead of just running into two/three defenders and in doing so not only loses any potential avenue but also because of his stature means he gets pushed back.

Could that actually be he's thinking more about finding the gap before going into contact as well as not wanting to be pushed/lifted back in the tackle losing ground.
The last few years we've not been pulling up any trees and the overall team performances have been at times diabolical, the overall impact of that can also influence how a player might perform, particularly if they feel under pressure from the coach or pressure from themselves due to their afiliation with the coach.

I understand what you're saying and it's something that can weigh on people's minds after traumatic events, but even the person who has had that event happen to them might not realise they've changed specifically because of that, or even admit to doing x or y differently. And correlation isn't causation, what I said above could also be valid.

either way, I hope he gets back to full fitness and can be allowed to prove himself in whatever position that might be, I think we've missed his explosiveness in open field play and his ability to track back for kicks quickly and get us on the front foot, something that Connor doesn't do, mostly because he ambles back for kicks and is never in a hurry to take the ball up.

RankPostsTeam
International Star560
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif

Might that not be that in some circumstances he's looking for a gap to break through instead of just running into two/three defenders and in doing so not only loses any potential avenue but also because of his stature means he gets pushed back.

Could that actually be he's thinking more about finding the gap before going into contact as well as not wanting to be pushed/lifted back in the tackle losing ground

Possibly, but I think he does it more now than he used to.

[either way, I hope he gets back to full fitness and can be allowed to prove himself in whatever position that might be.

Me too

RankPostsTeam
International Star1403
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51233_1315864499.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51233.gif

Quote: Large Paws "Might that not be that in some circumstances he's looking for a gap to break through instead of just running into two/three defenders and in doing so not only loses any potential avenue but also because of his stature means he gets pushed back.

Could that actually be he's thinking more about finding the gap before going into contact as well as not wanting to be pushed/lifted back in the tackle losing ground

Possibly, but I think he does it more now than he used to.

[either way, I hope he gets back to full fitness and can be allowed to prove himself in whatever position that might be.

Me too'"

I agree.

To be fair most Full Backs return the ball by running across the line and looking for the gap. Not many have the strength to run hard and straight at the oncoming defence and risk being lifted back over the in-goal line.

58 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
58 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.25341796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
New halfback signing
Wigan Bull
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
weaver93
Recent
Dons v Swinton Saturday 29/6/24 at Fev 630pm
AdamH
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
Recent
Tom Johnstone
FOREVERTRIN
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
20s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Tom Johnstone
FOREVERTRIN
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
WalterWizard
1m
Leigh h
Zig
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
2m
Lewis Murphy
Trojan Horse
3m
Squad for Giants
ninearches
3m
Murphy on his way then
PopTart
4m
Best Wigan Tour Team
MR FRISK
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
Victor
TODAY
Fan Village
Zig
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Start@1873
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Best Wigan Tour Team
MR FRISK
TODAY
Josh Bowden
Dr Dreadnoug
TODAY
Squad for Giants
ninearches
TODAY
Leigh h
Zig
TODAY
Meadows
Torbreck
TODAY
July games
financialtim
TODAY
Salford - Away
RockNRolla
TODAY
Dons v Toulouse - Saturday 10 August 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Toulouse A
Bull Mania
TODAY
IMG scores
phe13
TODAY
Nathan Mason
MicktheGled
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
WalterWizard
TODAY
Half Time Report
Trojan Horse
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Kick and cha
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Lee Briers
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Register Thirteenth Win Of The Season With Victory Over Barrow
RLFANS News
TODAY
Academy Origin
B0NES
TODAY
Catalan Away
B0NES
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..