JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: Ellam "Spot on about Whiting, can do no wrong in some people's eyes.'"

I think the problem is that he has been so consistently good that people are loth to criticise him when his standards do drop.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12839_1486909898.png
[b:16wvcohs]"To play your best football you need players with enthusiasm and drive and energy." - [i:16wvcohs]Peter Sterling[/i:16wvcohs][/b:16wvcohs] [quote="Adam Pearson said not":16wvcohs][b:16wvcohs]I know there are two franchises and two clubs (in Hull) and that will remain forever more[/b:16wvcohs][/quote:16wvcohs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12839.png

Quote: carl_spackler "Fair play for admitting it. It still just annoys me that a lot of people will only pick out the same names for criticism and ignore others. I would actually say that out of the 5 mentioned between us, Galea has probably been the pick for the last 3 games now, yet I bet you'd struggle to find many who would admit it. Whiting is in the opposite camp, even when he makes mistakes it is largely glossed over. Although it would be nitpicking in yesterday's defensive performance, it was Whiting's miss for their 2nd try. But that's my point; not that Whiting or some others have been noticeably better/worse than each other, but that with some players fans seem to want to do that nitpicking where for others they want to make allowances. There are some marginally different levels of performances which are made out to be huge gulfs because of the players involved.'"

I think it's tit for tat really in terms of criticism. Whiting was totally in no man's land for the try you allude to and I've no idea what he was doing. In Tickle's first game back against Wakefield he made a shambles of an effort in defence on his own line to allow a try in that in score terms cost us the match. Against Hudds Westerman was poor on his own line to miss a straightforward one on one to allow a score which in score terms cost us a point. The Tickle and Westerman incidents were barely mentioned on here so I think overall criticism is fairly evenly shared out. I do think that sometimes the grafters (Westerman being one) sometimes don't get the credit they deserve but that's always been the case.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: Staffs FC "I think it's tit for tat really in terms of criticism. Whiting was totally in no man's land for the try you allude to and I've no idea what he was doing. In Tickle's first game back against Wakefield he made a shambles of an effort in defence on his own line to allow a try in that in score terms cost us the match. Against Hudds Westerman was poor on his own line to miss a straightforward one on one to allow a score which in score terms cost us a point. The Tickle and Westerman incidents were barely mentioned on here so I think overall criticism is fairly evenly shared out. I do think that sometimes the grafters (Westerman being one) sometimes don't get the credit they deserve but that's always been the case.'"

I don't think it's evenly shared out, personally. Individual incidents are possibly pulled out as often, but they are used/held against different players in very different ways IMO, and a lot of my point was about how it is done. It's also always then the same names who are called of to get rid, regardless of form of both them and others.

I know it continually harks back to the same names, but it's just that they're such good examples rather than an agenda, but look at a few weeks ago when I pointed out Whiting costing us a try against Cas with a penalty followed by a missed tackle. The instant reply I got was that he shouldn't have been in that position because Westerman shouldn't have attempted an offload and lost possession. If it had been the other way around we'd have had yet another thread on here saying we should get rid of Westerman. If you'd like a couple of different examples, I think it's also true of McDonnell and Crooks but to lesser extent. McDonnell has been one of our best players, but those few errors are still picked upon with relish by many, whereas probably because of how good Crooks has been in attack, his defensive lapses have been overlooked/forgotten about.

We have a handful of players who when they make a mistake, mitigating factors are found and acknowledged (and rightly so, most of the time), but likewise we have a bunch for whom fans just seem to be poised waiting to pounce on every error and castigate them for it, without offering the same defence.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg

Quote: PAUL M "Great post! Galea has been our standout over the last few weeks and it alwyas the same names that get brought up and the same ones missed off.

Ball retention didn't worry me, both sides had issues so it was more about conditions than our ability. Defensively we were outstanding, lots of players putting their bodies on the line. Really pleased to see Briscoe play well. hope that improves his confidence. It was a tough battle and everyone stood up well. Glad Crooks didn't end up regretting his mistake when he should have put Lineham in.

If we defend like that in the semi we will give ourselves a real chance.'"

It did worry me a little, but not massively. Obviously the fact that Catalan suffered a lot too showed how tough the conditions were, but I was still a bit concerned with how many times we but the ball down cold or simply fluffed the pass. The ball popping out in the collision or squirming out on the floor is one thing, but I still thought our basic catching and passing should have been a bit better.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12839_1486909898.png
[b:16wvcohs]"To play your best football you need players with enthusiasm and drive and energy." - [i:16wvcohs]Peter Sterling[/i:16wvcohs][/b:16wvcohs] [quote="Adam Pearson said not":16wvcohs][b:16wvcohs]I know there are two franchises and two clubs (in Hull) and that will remain forever more[/b:16wvcohs][/quote:16wvcohs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12839.png

Quote: carl_spackler "I don't think it's evenly shared out, personally. Individual incidents are possibly pulled out as often, but they are used/held against different players in very different ways IMO, and a lot of my point was about how it is done. It's also always then the same names who are called of to get rid, regardless of form of both them and others.

I know it continually harks back to the same names, but it's just that they're such good examples rather than an agenda, but look at a few weeks ago when I pointed out Whiting costing us a try against Cas with a penalty followed by a missed tackle. The instant reply I got was that he shouldn't have been in that position because Westerman shouldn't have attempted an offload and lost possession. If it had been the other way around we'd have had yet another thread on here saying we should get rid of Westerman. If you'd like a couple of different examples, I think it's also true of McDonnell and Crooks but to lesser extent. McDonnell has been one of our best players, but those few errors are still picked upon with relish by many, whereas probably because of how good Crooks has been in attack, his defensive lapses have been overlooked/forgotten about.

We have a handful of players who when they make a mistake, mitigating factors are found and acknowledged (and rightly so, most of the time), but likewise we have a bunch for whom fans just seem to be poised waiting to pounce on every error and castigate them for it, without offering the same defence.'"

Not sure about Crooks not getting criticised I think some have pointed out that he has weaknesses in his game that need fixing whilst at the same time acknowledging that he's young enough to do that. McDonnell has been unfairly criticised by some mainly because of who he used to play for IMO which is pathetic. He was absolutely gutted after his error against Wakefield which in all honesty was due to other players' failings more than his own.

In the Cas game you mention, Whiting should have made a better fist of the defence he served up and it cost us a try conceded. I criticised Westerman because I believe he cost us a try scored with a silly offload just prior to the Whiting incident. I don't think Cas would have recovered from us scoring at that point and we'd have won. Both are perfectly valid criticisms of two different incidents involving two different players.

The example I used of Westerman in the Hudds game disproves the theory that I think you follow that he is one of the players to cop unfair criticism. Barely anyone mentioned his defensive error on the line in that game but I bet he was personally disappointed with his effort - certainly looked that way from his reaction. He has also, rightly, received praise for his Catalan performance, particularly defensively, which with along others was outstanding.

Overall I do think players earn reputations with fans based on their efforts for the team. That said some fans have ridiculous agendas (such as previous club played for) which they'll never relinquish and some struggle to understand the game. In general though I think Hull fans almost will players to do well but as I've said elsewhere these days there's so many platforms for fans to air their opinions there will always be debate.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg

Quote: Staffs FC "The example I used of Westerman in the Hudds game disproves the theory that I think you follow that he is one of the players to cop unfair criticism. Barely anyone mentioned his defensive error on the line in that game but I bet he was personally disappointed with his effort - certainly looked that way from his reaction. He has also, rightly, received praise for his Catalan performance, particularly defensively, which with along others was outstanding.'"

I'd really like to believe that we've maybe reached a turning point, but at this stage I don't think I've seen enough to suggest that the Hudds error being relatively overlooked isn't an exception rather than the rule. And that still only limits it to this board, a couple of people in the south stand near me were quick to point it out. Lastly, I've not suggested it's a blanket rule for all fans, there will always be plenty who give credit where it is due. I was simply commenting that not all fans do that and that it bothers me.

Quote: Staffs FC "Overall I do think players earn reputations with fans based on their efforts for the team. That said some fans have ridiculous agendas (such as previous club played for) which they'll never relinquish and some struggle to understand the game. In general though I think Hull fans almost will players to do well but as I've said elsewhere these days there's so many platforms for fans to air their opinions there will always be debate.'"

Fully agree with all of that, but as I just said, my point was taking issue with that minority, not suggesting it was the majority. There definitely is a section that seem to revel in the failures of certain individuals.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17898
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7384_1394882426.png
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14252202:io879g1y]2005 Challenge Cup[/url:io879g1y] To reconcile respect with practicality, what is the optimum speed for a hearse?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7384.png

Anyone know who the guy is that got completely battered before the game and had to be carried out in the first half?

I assume he's now OK?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1331
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Sulley.gif
:fonds noir/Sulley.gif

He was on the other bus to us and apparently was carted off to hospital as he was in such a state. He didn't make it back to the ground for his transfer back to Spain.

Apologies if you already knew that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17898
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7384_1394882426.png
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14252202:io879g1y]2005 Challenge Cup[/url:io879g1y] To reconcile respect with practicality, what is the optimum speed for a hearse?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7384.png

Quote: shauney "He was on the other bus to us and apparently was carted off to hospital as he was in such a state. He didn't make it back to the ground for his transfer back to Spain.

Apologies if you already knew that.'"

No I didn't. Cheers.

He was in a hell of a state though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12730
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Chris28 "No I didn't. Cheers.

He was in a hell of a state though.'"

Mad dogs and Englishmen..................

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1331
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Sulley.gif

He was hammered before he got to the stadium - saw him in the square in Perpignan and he was well past it then. It's a good job there were a few to carry him down from his seat as they were comedy steps - all different heights.

The lady off our coach who was staying in Lloret was a star - very fluent in Spanish and I guess French as she went off to make sure he was ok.

RankPostsTeam
International Star81No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I saw the lad being taken care of (carted away) pity his ''friends'' didn't take as much care of him !!

We definitely don't do our selves any favors, we stayed in Perpignan and based on the antics of a few on the Saturday we were not welcomed as openly on the Saturday night as we were on the Friday and Sunday !!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BoothferryBoy "I saw the lad being taken care of (carted away) pity his ''friends'' didn't take as much care of him !!

We definitely don't do our selves any favors, we stayed in Perpignan and based on the antics of a few on the Saturday we were not welcomed as openly on the Saturday night as we were on the Friday and Sunday !!'"

Where did you go?

We had a fantastic welcome in Perpignan, as always, much better than many UK cities.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1331
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Sulley.gif

I've heard from Dave Foti this afternoon - he's not heard from the guy at all icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: shauney "I've heard from Dave Foti this afternoon - he's not heard from the guy at all
are you shocked? Foti cares about two things, his gut and his bank balance.

441 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
441 posts in 30 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.76123046875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
4m