FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > Smith - should he stay or should he go?
574 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3883
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11887_1335108466.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11887.png

Quote: Bombed Out "I hear from one current player that for the last 2 seasons he has not enjoyed his rugby under Smith either.

Smith is delusional if he thinks he can turn this around. Too many fan's patience will have worn out by then and will walk.

The stats are damning the testaments from a former player and now parent are also damning.
Whatever Smith's remit is clearly recruitment and product are not part of it.
Bored of his every HDM interview too.'"

When Tony Smith was appointed, I was ecstatic.,
The first time in years, we signed a proven experienced Manager. And now we are seeing, the team playing with no intensity, ill disciplined, zero defense., even worse attack.
I believe Smith no longer coaches the team, surely the defensive coach, has no skills in tutoring , because we see the same issues game after game.
IF Smith gets a contract renewal, he's played a blinder..

RankPostsTeam
International Star1411No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66735_1606413614.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66735.jpg

Quote: RC15 "So let me get this straight - because players/ex-players/their relatives are pointing fingers, we believe them?

The same players who have produced countless shocking, low effort, zero passion performances under multiple coaches, and who on match day seem incapable of even the simple RL skills like passing, catching, and tackling?'"

I think we can give credibility to a current player, a former player and the father of another current player who all independently are rounding criticism at Smith.
There's no smoke without fire and our on field performances would certainly indicate there's issues within the club.

Also it's the coaches responsibility to improve the simple RL skills.
Would you say he's done that?

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player32No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
79452_1722883748.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_79452.gif

Quote: Bombed Out "I think we can give credibility to a current player, a former player and the father of another current player who all independently are rounding criticism at Smith.
There's no smoke without fire and our on field performances would certainly indicate there's issues within the club.

Also it's the coaches responsibility to improve the simple RL skills.
Would you say he's done that?'"

I don't believe it is down to a coach to have to teach someone who is being paid to be a professional (sic) RL player to carry out fundamental basics, no.

I do believe that the club is in a death spiral, and has been since 2018; with no apparent will or ability from the top to change course.

I do believe that he playing staff - with a few notable exceptions - have disgraced the club and themselves (not that they seem to care at all) repeatedly over a prolonged period.

I do not blindly support TS at all: nor do I believe hat it is all down to him, and that sacking him will be the magic bullet.

I have long held the belief that AP has made a catalogue of bad calls for a long time, and has seemingly learned nothing from any of them.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25596No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Smith goes, who comes in?

I'd bet its Grix.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3883
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11887_1335108466.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11887.png

Quote: Dave K. "Smith goes, who comes in?

I'd bet its Grix.'"

The cheap option - Par for the course.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11598
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16831.gif
:16831.gif

Quote: weaver93 "The above quote was posted on Hull FCs Instagram page.
The comment is now deleted.. However
There is a screenshot here . Posted by Karl Brooks.

any clues what it was, not a member of the group on facebook, did see a post on twitter on saturday around lunchtime that had been commented before quickly being deleted!

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player786No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
79648_1693689514.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_79648.jpeg

Quote: Dave K. "Smith goes, who comes in?

I'd bet its Grix.'"

Grix has done bugger all as well.he can go as well for me.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What coach would come to this club un this state, will only get worse amd would damage the persons reputation like it has for Smith.

Unless we find investment, bringing in a new coach is pointless.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If we had the finances and pull to bring in someone like Holbrook, Rowley or Wane I'd be all for it.
But if we sack Smith amd appoint internally, we might as well stick with Smith, at least he has some kind of track record of improving teams, compare that to Grix, Gene or Cummins.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5410No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34340_1322737278.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34340.jpg

Quote: Milky121086 "Couldn't agree more with this, i am sick and tired of seeing brainless posts calling for Smith to go.... hes by far and away the most experienced and arguably best coach in SL, His record speaks for itself. The harsh reality is we have for the most part a championship level team and are about where we should be in the league given how little we have invested in new players and given what level of players have left in the past 2-3 seasons... Sneyd, Connor, Satae, Mau, Swift to be replaced by hookers in half back rolls that couldn't get in a rock bottom Wakefield team or wingers that struggled to get regular game time at Bradford. We have spent nowhere near enough as recent reports have highlighted. '"

When Smith left us it was because we wouldn't give in to his demands of total control of recruitment and the playing side of the game, he tried a power play with Lakin and lost. When he signed for you (and in numerous articles since) he's stated he has total control of playing matters including retention and recruitment. So the vast majority of the players you have were brought in by him and the ones leaving were released by him, Jake Connor being the main one, his article stated Smith never spoke to him and he got a 2nd hand message that he could speak to Hudds so felt he was unwanted.Hookers in half back rolls is Smiths decision, there were half backs out there that are better than you have, Reynolds would've probably come even Rowan Milnes is better than you have and I'm sure could've been tempted. If the players are downing tools then a good coach either never gets there or nips it in the bud. You needed a leader on or off the pitch yet let Gaz Ellis go, surely if yoy believe TS and all his change the culture smokescreen he's exactly the sort of guy you need around the place, yet he brings in Francis Cummins, the guy he shipped out of Leeds to improve their culture back in the day. Threre seems to be a realisation frm Smith he can't sort it as his latest recruitment peice was about that being in the hands of the CEO, sounds like a passing bus for Mr Clark to head under

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dave K. "If we had the finances and pull to bring in someone like Holbrook, Rowley or Wane I'd be all for it.
But if we sack Smith amd appoint internally, we might as well stick with Smith, at least he has some kind of track record of improving teams, compare that to Grix, Gene or Cummins.'"

That's valid.

I'm one of the fervent "Smith out" party, but I'm realistic in that we can't afford a Managerial coup and anyone who is worth their salt would see Hull as a poisoned chalice. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't?

I've just had enough of him and his rhetoric and waffle.

Write the season off, give someone, anyone, a free hit and allow 6/8 months to convince A.N Other.

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player119No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20241 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have to say I’m disappointed with Grix.
We are getting spanked, yet pitch side there’s no communication with the players
There’s no leadership within the team or the coaching staff.
Hoy & Okinbor just stood about , two of our biggest earners.
A bit of pitch side passion wouldn’t go amiss, even more on the pitch I hasten to add..

RankPostsTeam
International Star7702No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: TnT "If, as some people have said, that every aspect of the club is rotten then getting rid of Smith, who acknowledges this and is going deep to address it, is not going to help. His efforts have not yet come to fruition and I get as frustrated as the next man. But someone else will have the same job to do so. Keep Smith. defense is the playing problem. we now have some attack- a mammoth 4 tries on Saturday. glass half full - can see some green shoots of small recovery but feel like a criminal for trying to be positive. Moaning whilst default solves nothing, smith is at the coalface so he has a free hit this season to produce improvement'"

What about the free hit last season?
How many free hits are you going to give him?
Smith is the problem on the field has to go for the benefit of the club

RankPostsTeam
International Star7702No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Milky121086 "Couldn't agree more with this, i am sick and tired of seeing brainless posts calling for Smith to go.... hes by far and away the most experienced and arguably best coach in SL, His record speaks for itself. The harsh reality is we have for the most part a championship level team and are about where we should be in the league given how little we have invested in new players and given what level of players have left in the past 2-3 seasons... Sneyd, Connor, Satae, Mau, Swift to be replaced by hookers in half back rolls that couldn't get in a rock bottom Wakefield team or wingers that struggled to get regular game time at Bradford. We have spent nowhere near enough as recent reports have highlighted. The hope would be that after this Covid loan is paid off we can then spend at top level of the cap and bring in 2-3 marquee level signings, now i know the argument for that will be who will come to Hull ATM but look at Wakey signing the likes of Tom Johnstone...If the money is there and players believe in the project to turn the club around they will come i am telling you! How do you think Rovers started, they wasn't exactly an attractive prospect before TS took over and all of a sudden brought in the likes of SKD, Ryan Hall etc etc, blooded young players such as Mikey Lewis and if we can somewhat copy that with our own group of young players such as Charles, Moy, Armstrong etc with 2-3 top level SL/NRL players who are leaders we can start to see an upturn in fortunes, i appreciate patience is wearing thin however if you are being realistic and want to see this project to success we need to give TS at least 2-3 recruitment cycles to fix this rotten period in our history. Rant over lol'"

Seriously how can you defend Smiths record since he has been here?
Those hookers in half back rolls were signed by Smith and played in that position by Smith
Before quoting Smith as the life saver at HKR look at some of his poor recruitment there and ask HKR supporters what they thought about Smith.
Where do you think the nicknames Tinkering Tony and toys out Tony come from.
Its no coincidence that since Smith left HKR a young coach Peters came in with a totally different approach in getting the players extremley fit and disciplined and working on defence has reaped its rewards.
Compare that on field difference and you should understand why Smith has to go

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player107
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: barham red "When Smith left us it was because we wouldn't give in to his demands of total control of recruitment and the playing side of the game, he tried a power play with Lakin and lost. When he signed for you (and in numerous articles since) he's stated he has total control of playing matters including retention and recruitment. So the vast majority of the players you have were brought in by him and the ones leaving were released by him, Jake Connor being the main one, his article stated Smith never spoke to him and he got a 2nd hand message that he could speak to Hudds so felt he was unwanted.Hookers in half back rolls is Smiths decision, there were half backs out there that are better than you have, Reynolds would've probably come even Rowan Milnes is better than you have and I'm sure could've been tempted. If the players are downing tools then a good coach either never gets there or nips it in the bud. You needed a leader on or off the pitch yet let Gaz Ellis go, surely if yoy believe TS and all his change the culture smokescreen he's exactly the sort of guy you need around the place, yet he brings in Francis Cummins, the guy he shipped out of Leeds to improve their culture back in the day. Threre seems to be a realisation frm Smith he can't sort it as his latest recruitment peice was about that being in the hands of the CEO, sounds like a passing bus for Mr Clark to head under'"

Nobody truly knows what went on at Rovers between Smith and Lakin so id take what you've heard with a hefty pinch of salt, i know people close to the club and one family member who has worked at Rovers for over 12 years and they have nothing but positives to speak of when it comes to TS and say very much the opposite in regard's to the reason he left. Furthermore you miss the point... Regardless of whether TS has minor, major or complete control of all things recruitment at FC hes working with two arms, two eyes and two ears tied behind his back, the sheer lack of funds available and the disparity between the players we lost (nothing we could have done about any of them IMO) and those we were able to bring in due to the money constraints from above gave him very little to work with. You talk about Reynolds and Milnes but whose to say either would have wanted to take a pay cut as that's what they more than likely would have had to do. Its black and white (pardon the pun) If Smith had the money to work with that Peters, Wellens etc had to work with we could be looking at 3 or 4 top level SL players to add to that current crop and sometimes that's all it takes as if you stick Ryan Hall, Tyrone May, Parcell & Minchella for example into our current side we would be transformed, hes working with whats hes got right now and whilst i don't agree with all decisions (Cummins coming in etc being one) i feel it only right to give him a long term opportunity to do what hes done at EVERY club and that's turn things round. You are very quick to forget that everything rovers are reaping the rewards for now, he laid the foundation's of. Don't let your red and white glasses cloud your judgment of what he did for you.

574 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
574 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.54736328125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Vancouver Le
17m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
DSJ1983
19m