JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg
If you are interested in Building Information Modelling (BIM). PM me.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2825.jpg

Quote: HFC Boy "RL in Wales professionally will never work . '"

And the survey says.....

Quote: HFC Boy ".... and will never be overtaken by RL.'"

Your probably right, so its a blooming good job that it doesn't need too.

Bal
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12512
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg
If you are interested in Building Information Modelling (BIM). PM me.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2825.jpg

Quote: HFC Boy "That`s why London`s crowds are huge is it ?!
How many million people live in London ? What is Harlequins average attendance ?'"

Some were between 7.5 million and 11 million, depending on who you talk too.

TV viewing figures for Super League are huge in London... they out weight Rugby Union. Has a lot to do with the Friday night slot but there you go. Theres a little fact for you.

So as I say, a well budgeted, well marketed business plan is key and Harlequins have never had that, not even close. Get the massive Australian community of London involved... play RL games there with Australian or American style piazaz and people will go. My job requires me to be innovative and to use a yuppy term, "think out of the box" and quite simply that is all that is required here, that and the money of course. The people and the intrest are already there and thats the biggest hurdle.

I'd go one further, if SL is to succeed in London and Wales, there needs to be local competition and so I believe that we should even be looking at were we can expand the game, rather than your idea of giving up, in those areas.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg
[quote="Philip Larkin":2lhqd089] There ain’t no music East side of this city That’s mellow like mine is, That’s mellow like mine. [/quote:2lhqd089]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32444.jpg

Quote: Bal "Some were between 7.5 million and 11 million, depending on who you talk too.

TV viewing figures for Super League are huge in London... they out weight Rugby Union. Has a lot to do with the Friday night slot but there you go. Theres a little fact for you.

So as I say, a well budgeted, well marketed business plan is key and Harlequins have never had that, not even close. Get the massive Australian community of London involved... play RL games there with Australian or American style piazaz and people will go. My job requires me to be innovative and to use a yuppy term, "think out of the box" and quite simply that is all that is required here, that and the money of course. The people and the intrest are already there and thats the biggest hurdle.

I'd go one further, if SL is to succeed in London and Wales, there needs to be local competition and so I believe that we should even be looking at were we can expand the game, rather than your idea of giving up, in those areas.'"

As I've already said, the London thing IS starting to pay off - after 20 years or so! - and I'm really excited about what's happening down there in terms of young people getting into the sport. RL will finally reap the rewards over the next decade BUT it has taken time and considerable bail-out money and other financial injections. London was the one we needed to crack and, yes, another team providing local competition is a sound step forward.

But why go through that pain again when expanding again? Go for another quick win and return like Catalans. Cumbria - nothern but currently an RL desert, or another French team - proven already. Somewhere that wants it, anyway.

Bal
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "As I've already said, the London thing IS starting to pay off - after 20 years or so! - and I'm really excited about what's happening down there in terms of young people getting into the sport. RL will finally reap the rewards over the next decade BUT it has taken time and considerable bail-out money and other financial injections. London was the one we needed to crack and, yes, another team providing local competition is a sound step forward.

But why go through that pain again when expanding again? Go for another quick win and return like Catalans. Cumbria - nothern but currently an RL desert, or another French team - proven already. Somewhere that wants it, anyway.'"

Yes, and my point is that its only taken 20 years due to poor business planning.

Credible RL presence in both London and Wales could be achieved very quickly indeed with money and innovation. Bring a bit of flare, bring the entertainment, the proffesional cheerleaders, family entertainmnt, live music, advertise... advertise and then advertise some more and advertise it as an event - play to the strengths, advertise how exciting, fast paced the game is, advertise its family nature. There just simply not doing that at the moment, in either Wales or London.

You'll have to forgive me, I've been in the states all week and watching American football and so forth, and I think its rubbed off on me a bit, as well as the American enthusaism and flare. RL in our expansion areas, and for that matter in our established areas could really do with more of it IMO.

Heres one most people will probably laugh at, but its strikes me that RL is exactly the type of game the US would enjoy... if we could get serious backing and all of the above in place over there, I honestly believe that RL will expand far beyond just Wales. Its a very marketable game.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Personally I think we have to expand, I was unsure as to whether having a Welsh side in SL so early was a good thing, however I hope they are here to stay. They need the backing of all clubs & especially the RFL.

On the point about London:
To start quoting how many people live in London in an attempt to belittle Harlequins attendance is just ridiculous. There are so many differing reasons why it is taking a long time to get the numbers up.
1. Soccer, plus every other sport you can think of is played in schools/clubs. League is still relatively new
2. Ethnicity % of Greater London population. This has a huge effect on who will be interested.
3. London spans a huge area. Fulham/London have moved about a lot in their relatively short history so fan bases lost. Try travelling across London at any time of day and see how long it takes!
4. Marketing, as had been said already. Fairly inept & non existant, the RFL don't have a clue how to really push the game down here.
5. Schools, it is taking time but steadily the numbers are going up, parents are seeing that league is less dangerous than union, however soccer is still the big thing far and away as that's where the money is at.
LOads of others but I'm 3 sheets to the wind & its late icon_biggrin.gif

However the game is blossoming, my own club St.Albans cents have been in the Challenge cup a few times, won the National Conference and South London storm has mini rugby as young as u7's & all the way up to having 2 senior sides and an academy team.
Even in the local schools around St.Albans which is a massive union heartland our coach has gotten leagues going. We even had an u14's 9's day in August were a team from West Hull came down along with a Northampton team. The Northampton team won BTW.
It will take time for expansion and for the game to really take off away from the heartlands could take another 10-20 years but only IF the RFL can develop it properly. Sadly I just don't think the present encumbants have the ability to do so. I wish I could say we will have a truly national proffesional league in the future but the ways things are panning out I can't see it happening in the next 50 years that's for certain.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7336No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19461_1425327910.gif
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19461.gif

Quote: Bal "Yes, and my point is that its only taken 20 years due to poor business planning.

Credible RL presence in both London and Wales could be achieved very quickly indeed with money and innovation. Bring a bit of flare, bring the entertainment, the proffesional cheerleaders, family entertainmnt, live music, advertise... advertise and then advertise some more and advertise it as an event - play to the strengths, advertise how exciting, fast paced the game is, advertise its family nature. There just simply not doing that at the moment, in either Wales or London.

You'll have to forgive me, I've been in the states all week and watching American football and so forth, and I think its rubbed off on me a bit, as well as the American enthusaism and flare. RL in our expansion areas, and for that matter in our established areas could really do with more of it IMO.

Heres one most people will probably laugh at, but its strikes me that RL is exactly the type of game the US would enjoy... if we could get serious backing and all of the above in place over there, I honestly believe that RL will expand far beyond just Wales. Its a very marketable game.'"

Oh Boy I had to check I was still on RL fans you do talk a lot of sense, in fact a lot of good reasoning all round, its simple we have a really great, great product, but our administrators and some of the newer clubs have no idea what the market is or even which segments they need to attract, its all magic and development, a sort of announce a team and they will come mentality that time and tie again has failed.

With some out of the box thinking and a lot of measured and strategic ground work we could expand successfully but tragically the quality of the product is once again being tarnish by the RL's inaility to get things right from the off and now with the move to wrexham and the new championship one club in South Wales we are just seeing the back covering by the RL that always comes along to try and save face.

The move will be a disaster or at least take years to come to any sort of fruition. Whilst the RL save face, the money they spend on doing so would be better channelled ito estalished clubs who are having a torrid time at the moment. There is no point in expanding in an ad hoc way if the established clubs fall by the wayside.

The Visagate affair, lack of promised ground improvements, quality of squad, poor attendances etc.etc. bear all the hallmarks of previous failed excursions into the realms of expansion.

But there is no doubt that history proves that we will now pour money into the black hole of Northy Wales an area with no infrastucture, whilst in the mean time, teams like Wakey will be on the brink and Rovers losing £8000 a week. With several others relying on Sugar Daddies to keep going. Measured, calculated and pre determined development and expansion is right but not at the expense of heartland clubs, one or more of whom will go under soon!!

Working outside the box....... I could not agree more....... however sadly I don't think that the RL has even got into the box yet!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: HFC Boy "RL in Wales professionally will never work .'"

People actually working within the RL structure there beg to differ. But I guess you know better.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "Crowds were awful, apart from when good Away support followed such as ours. There's also enough interest to run championship sides in Halifax, Sheffield, Dewsbury et al but that doesn't make them immediate SL material.'"

Crowds were decent compared to some other more established sides, given that they barely won a game all year and were owned by someone who had already pi$$ed off most of the ptential fan base before he even got involved with Crusaders. The potential is there if someone can make a better than half-d attempt to exploit it.

Quote: WormInHand "I'd also be interested in how much cash has been poured into Wales over the last couple of years and what the return has been. I assume you have those figures to hand? icon_lol.gif )

Bal
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg

Quote: WormInHand " But I think the sport at this time cannot afford to have another 20 years of "establishment" .'"

So because London took 20 years, Wales will as well? What evidence is there to support that exactly?

Done correctly and imo it would take a season or two. If it carries on been run like it is currently and it will absolutely fail, never mind take 20 years imo.

Again, its simply about how its done, as per my previous post.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5659
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32444_1318716838.jpg
[quote="Philip Larkin":2lhqd089] There ain’t no music East side of this city That’s mellow like mine is, That’s mellow like mine. [/quote:2lhqd089]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32444.jpg

Quote: Bal "So because London took 20 years, Wales will as well? What evidence is there to support that exactly?

Done correctly and imo it would take a season or two. If it carries on been run like it is currently and it will absolutely fail, never mind take 20 years imo.

Again, its simply about how its done, as per my previous post.'"

What evidence is there to say it won't? Do you think the RFL will learn from the London mistakes? And why is everyone so convinced that it MUST be Wales? I'm not anti-Wales and am certainly for expansion. So I really am happy to be convinced that this will work there and quickly.

But let's face it, the only expansion success has been Catalans - all credit to them and not the RFL. Surely THAT'S the model we should look to be repeating?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg

Quote: WormInHand "Home crowds were comparable in their paucity only with Harlequins, the other British expansion project. Quins still aren't pulling them in after 20 odd years but at least the profile of RL is at an all time high in London schools and is the fastest growing sport down there. It's taken a hell of a long time, though.'"

They weren't far behind Salford either, for what that's worth. And given their diabolical performances all season I don't think that's as bad as all that. Significantly higher than any of the Championship sides BTW.

And the profile of RL in the area is on a similar trajectory as in London (still a long way behind of course). Which is why it's such a farce that it's even being considered that they move to Wrexham.

Quote: WormInHand "I don't know the history of Samuel and friends - what did he do to so pi$$ off the Welsh? Genuine question.'"

Basically screwed over two RU clubs and a soccer club in similar fashion to what he did at Celtic. The RFL should never have got involved with him IMO.

Quote: WormInHand "You're right.

And neither did I.'"

You made a claim that lots of money had been spent. Just because you didn't put an actual figure on it doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to justify such a claim when challenged.

Quote: WormInHand "Not really. The general consensus of opinion that is acknowledged to be true. '"

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Sorry - I didn't see this until I'd finished. icon_smile.gif

Next time I'll try a single block reply. Promise.

68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
68 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.6630859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Accounts
faxcar
4m
bulls on Sunday
faxcar
6m
TV Games - Not Hull
Large Paws
10m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
fanstanningl
20m
This weeks disciplinary
Fantastic Mr
49m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
51m
Film game
Boss Hog
55m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Bully_Boxer
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
This weeks disciplinary
Fantastic Mr
32s
Recruitment rumours and links
Or thane
43s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
RockNRolla
45s
Tom Johnstone
Trojan Horse
49s
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
52s
Barrow
FOREVERTRIN
55s
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
59s
Rumours and signings v9
CobraCraig
1m
bulls on Sunday
faxcar
1m
Off Contract 2025
ArthurClues
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
FOREVERTRIN
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
Seth
TODAY
Squad for London
karetaker
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Halifax A
Wigan Bull
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
RobRiches
TODAY
IMG
Crosswire
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
faxcar
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
faxcar
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
TODAY
James Clark
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Realistic targets for 2025
the cal trai
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 27
ducknumber1
TODAY
Club Statement
UllFC
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,687 80,12114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Cronulla
v
NQL Cowboys
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
20:00
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
SL 26 Huddersfield0-66Warrington
CH 26 Toulouse38-18Halifax
NRL 28 Melbourne37-10Cronulla
NRL 28 NQL Cowboys28-16Newcastle
Fri 13th Sep
SL 26 Leigh0-24Hull KR
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 26 693 311 382 40
Warrington 26 684 319 365 38
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
St.Helens 26 584 370 214 30
Leigh 26 548 386 162 29

Leeds 26 514 462 52 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
LondonB 26 317 862 -545 6
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
Sheffield 24 594 472 122 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27
York 25 613 439 174 26

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20