FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > Are we the worst fans in rugby league??
52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
RankPostsTeam
International Star361No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63706_1318351430.jpg
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. [b:2rfqy71u]Vince Lombardi [/b:2rfqy71u]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63706.jpg

Quote: Jimmy Carr "I didn't buy a pass this season, and I've already made up my mind I won't next.

I nearly went to last nights game and decided at last minute to watch it on SKY, I'm glad I did.

The stadium argument is futile, there is going to be no Haliwell Jones - we don't have the money, and there is no viable alternative to the KC. Someone mentioned staying at the Boulevard and upgrading that, but that wasn't an option either, we didn't have the money then either.

And in response to fickle fans/leaving early - how else can fans show their disappointment? They can't. Not showing up in one way, and leaving early after a tonking is another.
Fans rarely leave early after close well fought out defeat, but leaving early after a pounding and a very poor performance is perfectly acceptable to me.
Staying till the last minute last night then applauding is basically accepting mediocrity IMO? Last night wasn't even mediocre it was utter garbage.

Fans do have a right to protest, and the players, coaches and owner should be shown that what they have served up is rubbish, we do that with our legs in not going or standing up and leaving early.

And through all of this the biggest and most glaringly obvious hole in all of it is that AP hasn't installed a proven and experienced coach. He says he's tried everything - he hasn't.

Appreciate they don't come cheap, but maybe just spending a little less on the cap and using the difference to pay for a top coach, money talks and I'm sure one could have been found if the money was there. And a top coach couldn't but be motivated by the facilities and youth structure that had been put in place.

I said last night, was the result due to the players not being good enough or because they are not coached to reach their full potential? I believe the sum of all the parts should be greater than it is, which would suggest its coaching.

So, if you want to stay till the end an applaud that last night, then fair play to you, but it seems the majority are hacked off and making their voices felt in one of the few ways they can, with their feet.

That's not fickle, it's called being vexed off.'"

Very honest post Jimmy. Can't disagree with any of it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star361No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
63706_1318351430.jpg
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. [b:2rfqy71u]Vince Lombardi [/b:2rfqy71u]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_63706.jpg

Quote: Carmine Galante "For me the most annoying thing about Hull fans is the massive over analysis and scrutiny of players, it's almost obsessive and has been for years.

Take Lineham and Shaul for example the two being most discussed at the moment, both have been and can be match winners, both far from complete players but both when all's said and done both contribute positively, yet some fans seem to want to focus more on a few defensive reads or missed tackles, maybe because they think this makes them seem more knowledgable of the game I don't know, it's a similar mentality to that when a player comes over with a big reputation, some people can't wait to pick holes because they think they are going against the grain and seeing things that others don't see, strange mentality.

It's maybe just an outlook on life, but as a fan when I think of Shaul this season the first things that pop up are the Saints away try and other individual try's, and some the try's scored on the back of a clean break by him, likewise with Lineham his hatricks and running the full length of the field, maybe the first thing that pops into other peoples minds is a missed tackle at Widnes away or whatever. Hard to understand I just prefer to enjoy watching talented players.'"

I agree but think there's a negative bias towards players who don't see the club matching their ambition and as a consequence want to move on. They get the abuse instead of the fans questioning WHY they want to leave.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: Carmine Galante "For me the most annoying thing about Hull fans is the massive over analysis and scrutiny of players, it's almost obsessive and has been for years.

Take Lineham and Shaul for example the two being most discussed at the moment, both have been and can be match winners, both far from complete players but both when all's said and done both contribute positively, yet some fans seem to want to focus more on a few defensive reads or missed tackles, maybe because they think this makes them seem more knowledgable of the game I don't know, it's a similar mentality to that when a player comes over with a big reputation, some people can't wait to pick holes because they think they are going against the grain and seeing things that others don't see, strange mentality.

It's maybe just an outlook on life, but as a fan when I think of Shaul this season the first things that pop up are the Saints away try and other individual try's, and some the try's scored on the back of a clean break by him, likewise with Lineham his hatricks and running the full length of the field, maybe the first thing that pops into other peoples minds is a missed tackle at Widnes away or whatever. Hard to understand I just prefer to enjoy watching talented players.'"

So you think that forming a well-rounded opinion of a player that includes his strengths AND weaknesses is an 'odd mentality'?

How strange.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1592
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: hullman "We travel in great numbers and support the team, but then we have a home Match and we are getting beat so after 65 minutes we all just March out, when Wigan fans are taking the mickey waving bye to us that I know how low we have stooped, they must of been less then 2k at full time, and we go on about been the best fans in rugby league ONLY WHEN WE ARE WINNING, and to all you that will say we have a right to do what we want cos we pay our hard earned money to go, sorry that doesn't wash with me, no matter what we shouldn't act like that and just walk cos we are getting beat, if you think it will make Pearson act your very wrong he'll just take his money and go and that will
be it for hull fc, because we won't exist

Never considered myself as dyslexic until I attempted to read this post.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69715_1406814004.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69715.jpg

Quote: spegs "

Some good points in your post, to many moan at our club & although after games like Thursday they are entitled to moan but it becomes very tedious to hear/read, sports about rough with the smooth, buy a season pass/ticket or don't, it's like playing the lottery Camelot promise you millions as AP promises you good rugby, doesn't always go to plan does it! But we keep going eh.

RankPostsTeam
International Star25No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

To be honest I think we're very much like the team, bog average. Where I do think we fall behind other teams especially Saints and Leeds is the lack of songs for any player. Away games are brilliant but even then its the first verse of Old Faithful, go get your fathers gun and we love you FC we do at the end (if we've won). The Derby showed what we can be like, Songs for Michaels, Lineham and Rankin and loads against Walker and rovers. Then ya come to home games and lets be honest if we're not playing Leeds or rovers the place is a morgue. If rumours are correct and the SMC are closing the South and North next season then at least we'll be closer together which might help but look crap on tele. As for The boulevard I loved the place but the atmosphere went downhill from closing off the top few rows of threepenny and when they built new stand it was a shadow of its former self.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach562
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35230_1286050714.jpg
[size=100:1gwenaug]"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the (Dark) Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."[/size:1gwenaug]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35230.jpg

Quote: Jimmy Carr "I didn't buy a pass this season, and I've already made up my mind I won't next.

I nearly went to last nights game and decided at last minute to watch it on SKY, I'm glad I did.

The stadium argument is futile, there is going to be no Haliwell Jones - we don't have the money, and there is no viable alternative to the KC. Someone mentioned staying at the Boulevard and upgrading that, but that wasn't an option either, we didn't have the money then either.

And in response to fickle fans/leaving early - how else can fans show their disappointment? They can't. Not showing up in one way, and leaving early after a tonking is another.
Fans rarely leave early after close well fought out defeat, but leaving early after a pounding and a very poor performance is perfectly acceptable to me.
Staying till the last minute last night then applauding is basically accepting mediocrity IMO? Last night wasn't even mediocre it was utter garbage.

Fans do have a right to protest, and the players, coaches and owner should be shown that what they have served up is rubbish, we do that with our legs in not going or standing up and leaving early.

And through all of this the biggest and most glaringly obvious hole in all of it is that AP hasn't installed a proven and experienced coach. He says he's tried everything - he hasn't.

Appreciate they don't come cheap, but maybe just spending a little less on the cap and using the difference to pay for a top coach, money talks and I'm sure one could have been found if the money was there. And a top coach couldn't but be motivated by the facilities and youth structure that had been put in place.

I said last night, was the result due to the players not being good enough or because they are not coached to reach their full potential? I believe the sum of all the parts should be greater than it is, which would suggest its coaching.

So, if you want to stay till the end an applaud that last night, then fair play to you, but it seems the majority are hacked off and making their voices felt in one of the few ways they can, with their feet.

That's not fickle, it's called being vexed off.'"

I pretty much agree with all of that. Particularly about the coach and coaching.For the first time in 25 years of watching Hull I leaft early for a few games last year and have done the same this season, Thursday night included. It wasn't to make a statement or because I don't love my club. It was because I didn't want to watch it any more. It's personal choice and other people's opinions about what sort of fan that makes me doesn't concern me.

I believe that results like last night not only expose the skills gap between Hull and the top three or four sides but also the attitude. Last week's win against Rovers should have been just another two points in the bag. Instead, it was an event. As was 'making the eight'. Does anyone think Wigan or their fans have given a single thought to 'making the eight'? Where is our ambition? The result and it's implications were too big for the players to back up. On a bigger scale you could compare the 49-6 drubbing by Bradford after winning the Cup in 2005. That's how far we've fallen in my opinion.

If you combine Adam Pearson's well publicised ambitions and positive if rhetorical spin on the club with the underachievement of the last decade it's easy to understand the fans' frustrations. I think we are far from being the worst fans by some way.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach30102
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: spegs "We travel in great numbers and support the team, but then we have a home Match and we are getting beat so after 65 minutes we all just March out, when Wigan fans are taking the mickey waving bye to us that I know how low we have stooped, they must of been less then 2k at full time, and we go on about been the best fans in rugby league ONLY WHEN WE ARE WINNING, and to all you that will say we have a right to do what we want cos we pay our hard earned money to go, sorry that doesn't wash with me, no matter what we shouldn't act like that and just walk cos we are getting beat, if you think it will make Pearson act your very wrong he'll just take his money and go and that will
be it for hull fc, because we won't exist

Never considered myself as dyslexic until I attempted to read this post'"

We bend over and take a near 50 point bumming at home and you expect everyone to stay to the end and cheer the team off the field? Are you for real?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Graham Richards "Absolutely spot on.

The difference this year to season gone by is that in the past we would have a poor performance in the play offs and pack up and go home. This year we have another 7 weeks of misery to look forward to. I genuinely hope I am wrong, but given the lack of heart, desire and commitment last night I fear the worst.

In answer to the opening question, I fail to see how anybody can question the fans commitment. Since 2006 we have been served up dross with the odd highlight. I think this season is now begining to show that many will not take it any longer. AP will have to do some amazing marketing to pull things round for 2016. I certainly don't see how one or two "star" signings is going to make a massive difference.'"

Seven weeks of misery? You've beaten Saints Hudds Catalans Cas and Wire this season, and given Wigan a good game away who have hammered almost everyone they've played at home this season.

Your Super 8s should be as exciting as ours (Wire) and Catalans. We are inconsistent but have enough quality that when we click we can beat ANYONE. That why we're in the 8 and not going to be playing Halifax and Sheffield!

By the way Hull aren't the worst fans in the league nor are you the best. In Super League, like in many other sports, sets of fans are generally as decent as each other on average from week-to-week. Sometimes you'll get a sheeyite one like the other night, or you'll take 1800 to Leeds and rock it, then take 1000 to Wire and barely sing but then rock it at home the week after against Rovers. And every club's fans are like that.

Ive never seen a set of fans top Wire's at Widnes for the 2009 CC semi final against the Pies, that was just amazing! and we sold about 35000 tickets or Wembley for the 2010 CC Final. But I've also seen us beaten at home to Saints and we didn't sing once after the first five minutes, seen us take barely a few hundred to the KC, and seen us only take just about 17500 to Old Trafford for the 2013 GF. But I wouldn't call us the best fans or the worst fans on the back of any of those things.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4895
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: BuckleyStreetWire "Seven weeks of misery? You've beaten Saints Hudds Catalans Cas and Wire this season, and given Wigan a good game away who have hammered almost everyone they've played at home this season.

Your Super 8s should be as exciting as ours (Wire) and Catalans. We are inconsistent but have enough quality that when we click we can beat ANYONE. That why we're in the 8 and not going to be playing Halifax and Sheffield!'"

How dare you come on preaching positivity. Don't you know that the default position for many folk on here is abject misery. In their eyes the owner, coach, players and indeed fans have no idea about rugby and so are content to watch rubbish every week.

That, of course, isn't the true position and like you and many fellow supporters of FC I believe that "on the day" we are capable of beating most teams. Lets hope my faith isn't misplaced!!

Best of luck next weekend, I'll be an honorary wire for the day.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

My boss at work is a Hull fan and has wished me the same luck!

Thanks, hopefully if the decent Wire show up we might play well and win.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3607No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

He was right in the end:

Quote: Jake the Peg "We bend over and take a near 50 point bumming at home and you expect everyone to stay to the end and cheer the team off the field? Are you for real?'"

I'm sure the chocolate chuckers stayed and clapped

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner708No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8186.jpg
Hull KR = A 100% Hull Team Hull FC = 50% Hull, 50% Gateshead:8186.jpg

Yes

RankPostsTeam
International Star68No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2021Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: spegs "
Haha the one comment he has is a put down, well done I bet everyone backs you up on this

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: tigertot "I always argue Hull are the most loyal fans in RL. Every GF, every CCF, every international, every tour I have been on there are probably more Hull fans there than any other apart from the respective finalists. Unfortunately you have more than your share of muppets.'"

It will be interesting to see if you are down there in your usual numbers this year?

52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
52 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.7919921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
The Speculat
15m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
16m