JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PAUL M "What is we could not get anyone else, do we just not spend the money and not get stronger in the meantime? It's very rare you have to pay a fee and who is to say we would not do it again next off season? It's not rubbish to say who else is available, it's a relevant question, you can't just say we should have spent it on someone better and not give an example.

[i]For two years we have played with a prop at 13[/i], Westerman is a 13 and a mixture of an old and new style, it has to be an improvement on our previous style of play.'"

Why?????? We had options but specifically Agar decided to play a prop at 13 , first Radford and now Fitz. Is Westerman £175k better than what we had. Could we not at least have tried the theory out , ie , not playing a prop at 13 , before concluding that it would only work if we spent £175k on a , largely other than his first season , unproved 13?? Westerman may well be the answer to our prayers and I hope he is but I still do not understand the logic.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2153No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4998.jpg
Diablo1967 said ''A pub-landlord running a professional sporting outfit in the best league in the hemisphere? Laughable'':4998.jpg

There is no logic where Agar and coaching is concerned. Westerman is a panic buy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29771No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: World of Redboy "There is no logic where Agar and coaching is concerned. Westerman is a panic buy.'"

A panic buy? We've been after him for months.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner53839No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Twitter - @MaddyHFC:

Quote: ChrisH "Why?????? We had options but specifically Agar decided to play a prop at 13 , first Radford and now Fitz. Is Westerman £175k better than what we had. Could we not at least have tried the theory out , ie , not playing a prop at 13 , before concluding that it would only work if we spent £175k on a , largely other than his first season , unproved 13?? Westerman may well be the answer to our prayers and I hope he is but I still do not understand the logic.'"

I agree we had other options and when Washy did play there we looked a better attacking unit but having paid the money for him he won't be ignored. Whiting was needed in other areas and maybe Washy was not producing in training?

Westerman is not an out and out ball playing 13 but he has good skills and is mobile which will give us better options with ball in hand.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg
Cuddle Club Rules 1. You dont talk about Cuddle club 2. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CUDDLE CLUB!!!! PS3 tag = Robbo_4444:20348.jpg

Quote: PAUL M "What is we could not get anyone else, do we just not spend the money and not get stronger in the meantime? It's very rare you have to pay a fee and who is to say we would not do it again next off season? It's not rubbish to say who else is available, it's a relevant question, you can't just say we should have spent it on someone better and not give an example.

For two years we have played with a prop at 13, Westerman is a 13 and a mixture of an old and new style, it has to be an improvement on our previous style of play.'"

Its a good job I haven't said that then. I could give you loads of examples of players I would have tried to get but its all irrelevant as I have no idea how much it would cost to get them and just how much money was available for a fee. My point was always about priorities and spending one of our biggest ever transfer fees on a player that realistically isn't going to solve our biggest problem (not scoring enough points) doesn't make much sense to me, particularly if it effects our recruitment. At no point have I said Westerman isn't good enough or that we should have signed someone "better". I really do think people are clutching at straws if they think having Westerman at 13 will suddenly solve all our attacking problems though. The major issue is going to be having 2 fit halfbacks on the pitch for the majority of the season which I dont see happening unfortunately and I can see us all having the same discussions about it yet again next season.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5233No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2013Jan 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8118_1332426340.jpg
Hull shock Leeds in 2005 Challenge Cup final //www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14252202 [color=#FF0000:1j25ao8d] Frosties. wrote: Believe you and me, Ellis will be in a Leeds shirt next year. Frosties. wrote: Leeds signed him in January, he will play in a rhinos shirt for 2012. Frosties. wrote: Done deal, Leeds bound. [/color:1j25ao8d]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8118.jpg

Quote: World of Redboy "There is no logic where Agar and coaching is concerned. Westerman is a panic buy.'"

panic buy, well see who is gonna have to panic buy has mason got his visa yet icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach265No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44294_1316432709.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44294.jpg

Well i very much doubt it, but if we ever did at least we can afford to icon_mrgreen.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach30185
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: Robbo4 "Its a good job I haven't said that then. I could give you loads of examples of players I would have tried to get but its all irrelevant as I have no idea how much it would cost to get them and just how much money was available for a fee. My point was always about priorities and spending one of our biggest ever transfer fees on a player that realistically isn't going to solve our biggest problem (not scoring enough points) doesn't make much sense to me, particularly if it effects our recruitment. At no point have I said Westerman isn't good enough or that we should have signed someone "better". I really do think people are clutching at straws if they think having Westerman at 13 will suddenly solve all our attacking problems though. The major issue is going to be having 2 fit halfbacks on the pitch for the majority of the season which I dont see happening unfortunately and I can see us all having the same discussions about it yet again next season.'"

I'm not convinced westerman will be a great signing, however he has the potential to be. He's not a priority for next season but would likely be from 2012 onwards. Over 4 years, the fee is only £40k extra a year and maybe we'd have had to pay that to secure him when he was on the open market anyway.

I would have preferred to get a half back in but if there's none available then I'm happy that we've tied up one of the country's best prospects for the next 4 years

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member43413
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg
[url:2qyny6du]https://twitter.com/Mr_Hutchie[/url:2qyny6du] [b:2qyny6du]@Mr_Hutchie[/b:2qyny6du] [url:2qyny6du]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hullwykearlfc/[/url:2qyny6du]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3614.jpg

Quote: Jake the Peg "Over 4 years, the fee is only £40k extra a year and maybe we'd have had to pay that to secure him when he was on the open market anyway.
'"

Good point you make, i would prob say 20k or more a season at least, then taking into account the loss of that to the cap, its not as bad as it seems icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg
Cuddle Club Rules 1. You dont talk about Cuddle club 2. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CUDDLE CLUB!!!! PS3 tag = Robbo_4444:20348.jpg

Quote: Hutchie "Good point you make, i would prob say 20k or more a season at least, then taking into account the loss of that to the cap, its not as bad as it seems Unless he'd had a really good year I doubt his wages would have gone up that dramatically, especially when you take it account he will have almost certainly got a pay rise when joining us anyway. Wouldn't we have had to pay a fee anyway based on his age?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member25592No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Robbo4 "Unless he'd had a really good year I doubt his wages would have gone up that dramatically, especially when you take it account he will have almost certainly got a pay rise when joining us anyway. Wouldn't we have had to pay a fee anyway based on his age?'"

Yes, also if available for a much less fee, would anyone have been confident that we would have signed him a head Leeds, Saints and Warrington?

Hull have done what they needed to do, we where rumoured to have bid for Myler a couple of times, and maybe we have put bids in for other halfbacks.

I still think we where weak at the prop position, so this move should really strenthen that position with Fitz moving there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner53839No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Twitter - @MaddyHFC:

Quote: Robbo4 "Its a good job I haven't said that then. I could give you loads of examples of players I would have tried to get but its all irrelevant as I have no idea how much it would cost to get them and just how much money was available for a fee. My point was always about priorities and spending one of our biggest ever transfer fees on a player that realistically isn't going to solve our biggest problem (not scoring enough points) doesn't make much sense to me, particularly if it effects our recruitment. At no point have I said Westerman isn't good enough or that we should have signed someone "better". I really do think people are clutching at straws if they think having Westerman at 13 will suddenly solve all our attacking problems though. The major issue is going to be having 2 fit halfbacks on the pitch for the majority of the season which I dont see happening unfortunately and I can see us all having the same discussions about it yet again next season.'"

Good job I never said he would solve all our attacking problems then. I would have rather seen a quality halfback signed but that would have been largely impossible this year with no one of great quality being available. Plus it would have been hard to attract them when we already have two halves in place, that would have been a waste of money tbh. It's okay giving players names who we could have got but no one is available, Bulls are losing Orford and replacing him with an largely unknown player, Rovers have signed a largely unknown player for their halfback slot. There are no halves available this season.

The club are working on halves for 2012 but in the meantime have signed up one of SL's hottest young players on a long term deal. Only positives for me.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: Robbo4 "Before anyone comes back with the usual "who would you sign then" rubbish or "nobody is available" I'll just say that anyone is available for the right price'"

I disagree with this. While money talks, there are other considerations that also affect player movements - Myler and Carvell being two recent examples.

Plus 'the right price' has to apply to both parties in the deal.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Kosh "I disagree with this. While money talks, there are other considerations that also affect player movements - Myler and Carvell being two recent examples.

Plus 'the right price' has to apply to both parties in the deal.'"

I think we could have spent £150k a lot more wisely than on an unproven youngster, but I am happy that we've show ambition in recruitment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15980No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20348.jpg

Quote: PAUL M "Good job I never said he would solve all our attacking problems then. I would have rather seen a quality halfback signed but that would have been largely impossible this year with no one of great quality being available. Plus it would have been hard to attract them when we already have two halves in place, that would have been a waste of money tbh. It's okay giving players names who we could have got but no one is available, Bulls are losing Orford and replacing him with an largely unknown player, Rovers have signed a largely unknown player for their halfback slot. There are no halves available this season.

The club are working on halves for 2012 but in the meantime have signed up one of SL's hottest young players on a long term deal. Only positives for me.'"

Again, I never said you did.

Using the Bradford and Rovers example would be fine if they had money available to pay a fee as we obviously do. How do you know who is available taking into account a possible transfer fee?

As an example; say we could have got Rangi Chase for 300k but decided to spend less and get Westerman. That would be a really poor decision IMO.

Anyway, it's all ifs and buts and just my take on it. I'm happy to have Westerman here and hopefully he will prove to be a really good signing.

455 posts in 31 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
455 posts in 31 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.494140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
Armavinit
2m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Jake the Peg
3m