JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Reducing the amount of energy we consume as a nation should be the priority. Given the technolgies that are out there even a lot of modern housing and commercial structures are still very inefficient, older buildings are terrible.
As it stands Wind Power is going to have such a minor effect on the energy requirement it is a joke. When you consider that many have to be switched off due to high winds because there are no storage facilities for the extra electricty and the companies that own these 'Switched off' windmills get paid huge amounts to do so (£13,000 an hour for ONE was one report)

The cost of producing energy is a fairly calculable thing, of course there are costs many years down the line for nuclear but this still works out much cheaper than wind energy. Ranges from twice as cheap to 30% at the very low end.
Still we have the natural resources around the UK to enable relative CO2 free energy production but it appears that the funding for wave energy is massively underwhelming.
Also grants to enable energy production in the home are pretty much worthless or non existant now so no incentive, various methods could be included in every new home built but governments wont force it as they lose out on taxes.

We're doooomed...lol

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member43413
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3614_1281651917.jpg
[url:2qyny6du]https://twitter.com/Mr_Hutchie[/url:2qyny6du] [b:2qyny6du]@Mr_Hutchie[/b:2qyny6du] [url:2qyny6du]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hullwykearlfc/[/url:2qyny6du]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3614.jpg

This will be massive for this area, OK not the 10k jobs as predicted but you look at the bigger picture and it will bring at least half that amount.

Hopefully force the hand on the Castle st upgrade amingst other things and bring further investement to the area

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: Standee "Then you're in the same place as me, realised none of them actually know what to do, so long as they pull their £65k a year salary (+whatever) then they don't give a flying one about the rest of us.

I spent the early part of last week arguing with "New" MP's and Whitehall employee's, first time I have walked away from work, they simply have no idea what is really going on day to day.

I wish Brewsters Millions would come true "None of the above"...........'"

There are a handful of MPs who know what they're doing or are at least doing their best with the right motivations. Unfortunately none of these will end up anywhere near ministerial posts, let alone PM. Our political system sucks.

My last hope was that we might make a go of a coalition government, as I'm a fan of consensus politics. Looks like we can't even manage that. I'm more depressed for my kids than myself TBH as there's no sign of the downward trend reversing or even stabilising.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Kosh "there's no sign of the downward trend reversing or even stabilising.'"

interesting observation, I don't see much real evidence of a downward trend in my day to day dealings with things, other than the general educational standards and behaviour of people, but that isn't economic.

when you say "downward trend", what do you mean?

Bal
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12512
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg
If you are interested in Building Information Modelling (BIM). PM me.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2825.jpg

Quote: VerbalKint "I think the Private sector would work very well in isolation,'"

Really?! icon_lol.gif Please explain how.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: Standee "interesting observation, I don't see much real evidence of a downward trend in my day to day dealings with things, other than the general educational standards and behaviour of people, but that isn't economic.

when you say "downward trend", what do you mean?'"

I think the standard of politicians is dropping. Too many of them with no clue and no real life experience or relevant skills. There is also an increasing failure of the media to hold these people to account and ask hard questions.

I'm willing to admit that might be 'grumpy old bugger' syndrome kicking in, mind. icon_smile.gif

Bal
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg
If you are interested in Building Information Modelling (BIM). PM me.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2825.jpg

Quote: Kosh " I'm more depressed for my kids than myself TBH as there's no sign of the downward trend reversing or even stabilising.'"

I believe there are signs. The construction industry, which I believe, is one of the good tangible monitors of economies. I work as a consultant with many of the large design firms in the UK and generally things are a lot better than they were a year ago, without doubt. Were companies were making redundancies, many are now having to scramble to recruit staff due to skill shortfalls due to the increase in workload. I train said staff, and at the moment I'm run off my feet. Thats my little world, but from my perspective things are not as bleak as the media make out.

It is certainly true to say that the public sector cuts are tempering that "recovery", as Manchester City Council has just shown, but do believe that the industry is now stable at least (i.e. enough work to sustain its current overall size), if not recovering.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Kosh "I think the standard of politicians is dropping. Too many of them with no clue and no real life experience or relevant skills. There is also an increasing failure of the media to hold these people to account and ask hard questions.

I'm willing to admit that might be 'grumpy old bugger' syndrome kicking in, mind.
ah right, I thought you meant a downward trend in economic terms, not in terms of the quality of politicians.

I wholeheartedly agree, 20/30 years ago politicians were in it for mush more alturistic reasons (as well as feathering their own nests) but very few were in it for ego or self publication, now they are all pretty much the same, many are lifetime politicians or civil servants who have little or no real experience of the arenas in which they are operating/legislating.

It's no better at Local Authoruty level either.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg

Quote: Bal "I believe there are signs. The construction industry, which is actually I believe one of the good tangible monitors of economies. I work as a consultant with many of the large design firms in the UK and generally things are a lot better than they were a year ago, without doubt. Were companies were making redundancies, many are now having to scramble to recruit staff due to skill shortfalls due to the increase in workload. I train said staff, and at the moment I'm run off my feet. Thats my little world, but from my perspective things are not as bleak as the media make out.

It is certainly true to say that the public sector cuts are tempering that "recovery", as Manchester City Council has just shown, but do believe that the industry is now stable at least (i.e. enough work to sustain its current overall size), if not recovering.'"

I probably should have been clearer. I was thinking more of the general state of politics and the social infrastructure - particularly education - rather than economics. My own company is having probably our best year ever, and we've been around for more than 30 years.

As I said to Standee, it might just be me developing into a typically grumpy and disillusioned bloke with his 50th birthday closing in, but I'm pretty depressed about the UK right now. In particular we've made a right mess of our education system and seem intent on making things worse. That doesn't bode well for the future IMO.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Kosh "In particular we've made a right mess of our education system and seem intent on making things worse. That doesn't bode well for the future IMO.'"

Indeed, as I was saying on the dissertation thread until it disappeared, education in the UK has become totally devalued, anyone and everyone can go to University and get a degree in something, that isn't what our ambition should have been, what we should have strived for is that everyone has equal opportunity to access higher education if they have the relevant intelligence and dedication, instead we dumbed down the whole system in the name of making it "fair", which has led to complete degredation of the skills of young people, I'm only 36 and even I despair at the quality of spelling and grammar (not on these boards, I mean in letters/emails) and a total lack of general knolwedge about the wider world.

But then I am sure my Dad's generation said that about the generation that are just hitting their 40's now!

Bal
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg

Quote: Kosh "... but I'm pretty depressed about the UK right now. In particular we've made a right mess of our education system and seem intent on making things worse. That doesn't bode well for the future IMO.'"

The UK has to become a nation of innovators, engineers, technicians, scientists instead of builders, farmers, fisherman and manufactures - I think we are, slowly and begrudgingly heading in the right direction. Our engineering, architectural, as well as scientific, academic and economic industries are among the best respected the world over. Clients in emerging economies still want British companies to do the job - and there is a reason for that - quality.

I work in one of those industries, and I promote innovation - which British companies are investiing in in the bucket load. I think the future is an exciting one, especially for the UK - we are leading the way in many areas of importance.

Politically, we need to sort ourselves out. I agree. Has that ever not been true?

I do agree that we have made a bit of a mess with the Eduction system in this country... not only have we managed to now pull funding from school building and maintenance programs (Thanks Mr Cameron), but education cuts make it very difficult for teachers to teach, and there is the real worry that we will be losing teachers when we should be getting more of them. I firmly believe Eduction should be protected above just about everything else. Further, IMO, we need to get kids off "media studies" courses and into architecture, science, maths etc more, and we have failed to do that for many years now - but thats my personal soap box issue.

Unfortunately, countries like India and China, and even places like Iran are not making the same mistake - that we need to sort out, but I do believe that our above mentioned industries will see us into a bright and prosperous future.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Bal "I do agree that we have made a bit of a mess with the Eduction system in this country... not only have we managed to now pull funding from school building and maintenance programs (Thanks Mr Cameron)'"

you know my thoughts on that, so no point covering old ground.

Quote: Bal "but education cuts make it very difficult for teachers to teach'"

what cuts?

Quote: Bal "and there is the real worry that we will be losing teachers when we should be getting more of them. I firmly believe Eduction should be protected above just about everything else. Further, IMO, we need to get kids off "media studies" courses and into architecture, science, maths etc more, and we have failed to do that for many years now'"

do you think many of the recent graduates that have become teachers are really capable of educating legions of architects, scientists etc..

I don't, most new teachers I have met recently can only teach by using pre-prepared materials and lesson plans, they are not educators nor inspirational.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12839_1486909898.png
[b:16wvcohs]"To play your best football you need players with enthusiasm and drive and energy." - [i:16wvcohs]Peter Sterling[/i:16wvcohs][/b:16wvcohs] [quote="Adam Pearson said not":16wvcohs][b:16wvcohs]I know there are two franchises and two clubs (in Hull) and that will remain forever more[/b:16wvcohs][/quote:16wvcohs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12839.png

Quote: cod'ead "And what about the subsidies for nuclear, care to even attempt to put a figure on them?

Then we get to the decommissioning, something else that has been heavily subsidised, with costs buried. Unfortunately the legacy remains. A local nuclear plant has just finished a fifteen year decommissioning, the doors were locked in December. The grandchildren of the last bloke out will be old men before the site is considered safe enough for demolition, never mind redevelopment.

What poor and inaccurate science are you deniers claiming now?'"

Point 1 - I'm not complaining about the subsidies in the short term. What we have to be very careful about though is ensuring our economic recovery is not disadvantaged because the price of energy charged to our manufacturing base, and for that matter domestic consumers, is higher than the price charged to our competitors in other countries as a result of our green crusade. Further investment in green technology can only be maintained long term if our economy grows and creates the money for investment. Crusading for the green approach is fine (and Mr Huhne in the current regime is a real champion) but it's not viable to fleece the citizens and businesses for the extra investment cash forever by way of higher energy costs - this will prevent the economy from generating future investment needed and we will fall behind.

Point 2 - I'm not representing the 'deniers' as you put it - I didn't offer my view on climate change so put down your placard. The reference to poor science relates to several gaffes in the lifetime of the IPCC. rlHere's onerl. Producing scaremongering garbage like that provides plenty of ammo for those who can produce other science that is contrary to the view, and leaves the argument open to those that may be suspicious of vested interest in what is now and will continue to be a multi billion pound industry.

Anyway as I said at the start well done to Hull for getting the nod here - a much needed boost.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach13126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12839_1486909898.png
[b:16wvcohs]"To play your best football you need players with enthusiasm and drive and energy." - [i:16wvcohs]Peter Sterling[/i:16wvcohs][/b:16wvcohs] [quote="Adam Pearson said not":16wvcohs][b:16wvcohs]I know there are two franchises and two clubs (in Hull) and that will remain forever more[/b:16wvcohs][/quote:16wvcohs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12839.png

Quote: Bal "The UK has to become a nation of innovators, engineers, technicians, scientists instead of builders, farmers, fisherman and manufactures - I think we are, slowly and begrudgingly heading in the right direction. Our engineering, architectural, as well as scientific, academic and economic industries are among the best respected the world over. Clients in emerging economies still want British companies to do the job - and there is a reason for that - quality.

I work in one of those industries, and I promote innovation - which British companies are investiing in in the bucket load. I think the future is an exciting one, especially for the UK - we are leading the way in many areas of importance.

Politically, we need to sort ourselves out. I agree. Has that ever not been true?

I do agree that we have made a bit of a mess with the Eduction system in this country... not only have we managed to now pull funding from school building and maintenance programs (Thanks Mr Cameron), but education cuts make it very difficult for teachers to teach, and there is the real worry that we will be losing teachers when we should be getting more of them. I firmly believe Eduction should be protected above just about everything else. Further, IMO, we need to get kids off "media studies" courses and into architecture, science, maths etc more, and we have failed to do that for many years now - but thats my personal soap box issue.

Unfortunately, countries like India and China, and even places like Iran are not making the same mistake - that we need to sort out, but I do believe that our above mentioned industries will see us into a bright and prosperous future.'"

The biggest problem education faces in my view is the declining standard of people entering the teaching profession. For the last 30-40 years education has been abysmally handled by successive power bearers. We are now left with the frightening prospect that due to the fact that our education standards are so low the overall level of those hired to teach is not high enough. It's a bad place to be. Whilst having shiny new buildings might help - and if we had the money would be great - it wouldn't address the core problem IMHO.

Bal
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2825_1368992607.jpg

Quote: Standee "
what cuts?'"

Well there is the £4bn from Uni's as a start. And I regard cutting eduction infrastructure as been as big a cut in eduction as any thing - teachers and their pupils need inspiring, functional and appropiate spaces to teach.

Quote: Standee "do you think many of the recent graduates that have become teachers are really capable of educating legions of architects, scientists etc..

I don't, most new teachers I have met recently can only teach by using pre-prepared materials and lesson plans, they are not educators nor inspirational.'"

Well, graduates have never "taught" architects (not familiar with the scientific world), architects teach architectural students. If they did your point would be spot on. Many Chartered Architects and Engineers also work for Universities in teaching roles. It wouldn't work any other way. Further you are only really let off the leash in this country on Chartership, something that is achieved through experience and study while in the work place - it goes back to what I was saying earlier about "quality" - its why we lead the world. Companies like Fosters, Arups, Atkins are all at the top of the game.

It is true that some of the peripheral knowledge is taught differently, indeed I teach Architects and Engineers the latest software - but even I've got 12 years industry experience as a technician, they wouldn't hire me otherwise.

64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
64 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.34228515625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Planning for next season
mwindass
7m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
16m