JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2011Jun 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40403.jpg
[u:3tohx7pw][b:3tohx7pw][size=200:3tohx7pw][color=red:3tohx7pw]DANNY LOCKWOOD - LEAGUE WEEKLY (18-5-09)[/b:3tohx7pw][/size:3tohx7pw][/color:3tohx7pw][/u:3tohx7pw] [i:3tohx7pw][b:3tohx7pw][size=200:3tohx7pw]I'M SURE THERE IS NO CORRELATION BETWEEN THE FACT THAT THE FRONT RUNNERS FOR THE 2009 MEDIA WHINGING AWARD ARE FROM GATESHEAD AND HULL FC, FORMERLY THE B*ST*RD-TWINS OF ONE OF RUGBY LEAGUE'S LOUSIER IDEAS.[/i:3tohx7pw][/b:3tohx7pw][/size:3tohx7pw]:40403.jpg

Quote: kathy kirk "Full Measure - just come to me - I am sure he was there when he died !!'"

Tony had long left Full Measure before his final days, as said elsewhere he was running a pub in Leeds when he died.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I was running the Mermaid on Bethune Ave, about 15 years ago for a one eyed Geordie called Brendan, who was good mates with Tony at the time, he used to come in with this big black leather coat on, have a pint or two then leave to take care of a bit of business. IIRC he used to be mates with Duncan Woods, who was a doorman at Tower and also a prop for Ace, a mountain of a man, never saw him play, but got told in his day and for his size, he had a fair bit of pace.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach545
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2022Jul 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19915_1582398141.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19915.jpg

Used to visit his daughters in Hedon while he was out running a pub somewhere. I remember having to sneak out the backdoor a time or two as he drove up the driveway. Don't get the wrong impression though, his daughters where very nice respectable girls, I was just scared of him catching me in his house.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7156No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2013Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5707.jpg
NEED A SPARKY........CHEAP RATES!!!! Call 07970611193:5707.jpg

In 1986 (christmas) Mr Banham was employed to 'bounce' at Pennine Rambler (north Branshlome).....The place was pretty peaceful until a couple of 'two pumps and a squirt hero's' decided to cause a bit of bother after a minor lager frenzy (two pints each....whoooooooo!!!).....BAD MISTAKE......Tony grabbed the pair of 'em by the short neck hair and dragged 'em out backwards accross the floor.......The screams from both lads actually sounded scary....I guess it hurt a bit icon_lol.gif He then launched them about ten feet each accross the path!!!
I found him to be a nice guy......honest!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Dream Big..Work Hard".................. Sarah Storey, Paralympic Legend.:

Quote: FC Guvnor "I was running the Mermaid on Bethune Ave, about 15 years ago for a one eyed Geordie called Brendan, who was good mates with Tony at the time, he used to come in with this big black leather coat on, have a pint or two then leave to take care of a bit of business. IIRC he used to be mates with Duncan Woods, who was a doorman at Tower and also a prop for Ace, a mountain of a man, never saw him play, but got told in his day and for his size, he had a fair bit of pace.'"

I used to play alongside Duncan Woods for Ace. I bet Dunc and Tony Banham didnt get any bother when they were out together!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

“We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club. Thats why you got the Bullet Agar...Adam Pearson wants winners...not useless gits like you. "Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers." L.Daley 2005:

Quote: Monko "I was lucky enough to meet Tony Banham around 20 to 25 years ago. He was the landlord of a pub in Hull called the Gypsyville tavern. My mate was the DJ in the pub at the time. Tony was as wide as he was tall, a huge man with arms as big as my legs. He spoke with a southern accent as i recall. Tony was apparently brought into the Gypsyville tavern by the brewery as at that time the Gipsyville tavern had some well known trouble makers. It was safe to say that after 6 weeks of Tony taking over the pub you could go in the pub for a quiet pint and not be offered drugs or a knocked off video. No one messed with Tony Banham, his size alone deflated any trouble makers. He was, as i remember him a gentle giant until he needed to be otherwise.'"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach256
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28257.jpg
:28257.jpg

Quote: Locko's Luck "I thought it was Hastings?

I played against Tony a few times, his 'party piece' was to run at wingers and frighten the life out of them or trample over them. I played wing on the 1st occasion and he did both.

I learned a valuable lesson (the hard way), not to try to tackle him anywhere above the bootlaces.
The next game I was playing centre and I anticipated “his” ball as he used to shout, “My ball” I shot out from the defensive line and snapped at his ankles as he caught the ball, he dropped it in the tackle and I thought he was going to stamp me into the mud with anger, he was screaming at the ref, complaining I was “fecking offside” I have never been so glad that he only did his 20minutes a game.'"

ha ha i can just picture it now. you was built like a stick in them days. good on ya for having the bottle to try tho.
your right about Dave Hossle, he got his throat slashed in Hastings.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42815.jpg
:42815.jpg

Quote: Locko's Luck "I thought it was Hastings?

I played against Tony a few times, his 'party piece' was to run at wingers and frighten the life out of them or trample over them. I played wing on the 1st occasion and he did both.

'"

Got me like that once as well, he could shift for a big guy.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach81No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17175_1388882960.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17175.jpeg

He also refereed for a bit once he finished playing, remember him awarding a breakaway try for the team i was playing for while he was still stood on the halfway line. Nobody argued about his positioning though. Didn't he also set up the kingston liberators american football team?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: andyhullwyke "
your right about Dave Hossle, he got his throat slashed in Hastings.'"

Who was it who did it? I've been racking my brains.

I remember Hossel went back playing again once he'd recovered, He had a go at an opposing player and the shout came from the touchline, "don't be scared of him, his head's only stitched on"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

“We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club. Thats why you got the Bullet Agar...Adam Pearson wants winners...not useless gits like you. "Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers." L.Daley 2005:

Quote: cod'ead "Who was it who did it? I've been racking my brains.

I remember Hossel went back playing again once he'd recovered, He had a go at an opposing player and the shout came from the touchline, "don't be scared of him, his head's only stitched on"'"

Played against him once for Abbey v Oddbottle...a sunday morning thing against 2 local pubs......i put a sly one in in a 3 man tackle....he flattend me about 10mins later....told me after the match he recognised my boots as he was being tackled when i hit him and knew who it was..........he was one big mean bugger.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member42No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I remember Hossel went back playing again once he'd recovered, He had a go at an opposing player and the shout came from the touchline, "don't be scared of him, his head's only stitched on"'"

Dave played in the same team as me at Stonehouse. I recall him getting into a bit of bother at someones house, which ended up all over the HDM. IIRC it was alleged he was running around the front garden stark naked with a dustbin lid in his hand. He took a real beating from the boys in blue that day! But he was totally innocent (but I won’t go into this any further). He was a great singer was Dave.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach256
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28257.jpg
:28257.jpg

the story i was told was that he was ' friends' with a local butchers wife and was bragging about the friendship in Hastings in front of the husband. so the husband left and returned with a works knife and cut him. This may or may not be accurate as it was a well passed about story.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach275No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/PDT1.gif
:simpsons/PDT1.gif

Quote: R.B.A "I used to play alongside Duncan Woods for Ace. I bet Dunc and Tony Banham didnt get any bother when they were out together!'"

Hey RBA I played for Ace too alongside Duncan. who are you ?

Tony Banham was a HUGE man. Played a few times against him think he played for North Bransholme ay the time when I played for Reckitts as a young nipper.

We had a scrum half called Tommy Elm who tried taking Tony's head off with a swinging arm. From the ground you heard Tony say " I hope that fackin wont you Tommy " . As Tony got up, Tommy pointed to me and said " it want me Tony it was him !!!"

Closest I've come to shi**ing myself on a pitch LOL

Always a gentleman when we saw him in pubs after the game, and his enornmous hands made a pint glass look like a thimble.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator4040No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Dream Big..Work Hard".................. Sarah Storey, Paralympic Legend.:

Quote: mikegreen673 "Hey RBA I played for Ace too alongside Duncan. who are you ?

Tony Banham was a HUGE man. Played a few times against him think he played for North Bransholme ay the time when I played for Reckitts as a young nipper.

We had a scrum half called Tommy Elm who tried taking Tony's head off with a swinging arm. From the ground you heard Tony say " I hope that fackin wont you Tommy " . As Tony got up, Tommy pointed to me and said " it want me Tony it was him !!!"

Closest I've come to shi**ing myself on a pitch LOL

Always a gentleman when we saw him in pubs after the game, and his enornmous hands made a pint glass look like a thimble.'"

I played alongside you for a couple of years mate. Wouldnt want to blow my cover on here though. icon_wink.gif

45 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
45 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.50048828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Whitehaven
Wollo-Wollo-
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m