FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > Smith - should he stay or should he go?
574 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3676
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/Sid.gif
I have lost interest:fonds blancs/Sid.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hlj ... BAS97vsq5c

Interview on BBC after the match - I couldn’t get to the end
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hlj ... BAS97vsq5c

Interview on BBC after the match - I couldn’t get to the end

RankPostsTeam
International Star1173No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: weaver93 "

Jack Gibson said "Winning starts on Monday ,If you prepare well, you play well"
(Granted, we only have 1 conditioner at the club, who was an ex data analyst )
When Maguire took over at Wigan, it only took 6 weeks to change the attitude & culture ,
the big difference , the hierarchy gave him, a fully resourced backroom staff.
Adam Pearson's attitude of cutting all costs,this is showing zero ambition,this has filtered all the way throughout the organisation .
As they say 'The fish rots from the head ''"

Jack Gibson also said " Success/ Winning starts at the front office."

RankPostsTeam
International Star1173No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tarquin Fuego "https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hlj0cn?partner

I did. He wasn't asked about Balmforth.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ts-9185210

Think this article says everything about the club , seemingly expecting hammerings , which we as fans do not . It the club had been honest and open you can get behind them but as it is they are not and fans rapidly losing their love of the current incarnation .
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ts-9185210

Think this article says everything about the club , seemingly expecting hammerings , which we as fans do not . It the club had been honest and open you can get behind them but as it is they are not and fans rapidly losing their love of the current incarnation .

RankPostsTeam
International Star3329
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

All men are created equal, some work harder in preseason. -[i:1c45x4hd]Emmitt Smith[/i:1c45x4hd]:

Smith, Gene, Pearson, Clarke (what does actually do, given Pearson wields absolute power?) can all clear off for me. We might not have a club in a couple of years without them, won’t have one with them either.

Get rid of that matchday DJ too before they make him CFO.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2208No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/016.jpg
:simpsons/016.jpg

Quote: Super Alf Macklin "https

Smiths got Pearson wrapped round his finger, how the hell is it acceptable to imply you expect to get repeated hammerings as part of this "process" if culture and performance are improving, we should be seeing less of these performances, not two in two weeks... It's almost an arrogance from Smith that because he's done it before, it'll magically happen here. Last year's horrendous Wakefield side didn't have back to back 50 point hammerings like we're getting

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

"We need to toughen up across the board," Smith said post-match. We need to make sure we’re doing our own jobs really well. We’ve all got to take responsibility for that and at the moment we know it’s not good enough."

Tony Smith HDM 23.03.24

The mould is set gentlemen and the people that run the club on our behalf are not going to change their minds no matter how much we whine and protest. Smith is trying to build a culture of collaboration and like it or not, it is our responsibility to support the current set up in any kind of weather. We know that we are the best supporters in rugby league (despite what the noveau riche of East Hull shout). I am not suggesting that we become a bunch of happy clappers but criticise where necessary in a positive manner. If you feel that the players, coaching staff, CEO or owner aren't deserving of our support that's fair enough. But surely we all love this club enough to get behind it for the sake of the loved ones who indoctrinated each of us, the badge, the heritage, the tradition and our responsibility to one another?

Some of the best times I've had as a supporter have been when the team are dire but the passion and unity amongst supporters has endured. It's what makes the successful times all the sweeter. I don't buy into this modern culture of everyone stamps their feet and gets what they want, when they want it. It is time to turn the morgue that is the MKM into a fortress, simply turning up and sitting there quietly is not an option. Let's fulfill our match day responsibilities and get behind the team vociferously. If we get hammered, nobody can then criticise the lack of support.!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29771No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It's a bit disingenuous and lazy IMO to label those losing patience as spoilt whingers.

I've been a regular supporters for 30 odd years and a passholder for most. I've seen objectively worse times than this on the pitch eg out of the top flight. The difference now is that there is no hope of winning a match unless it's against part time London and in all likelihood a massive humiliation. In the same way supporting a successful, or at least competitive, team inspires pride and optimism, associating with a team that are out of their depth qualitywise, ill-disciplined, disorganised and likely to lose every game by at least 30 points does the opposite.

The real sticking point for me is that there is no tangible plan or green shoots. Nothing to get on board with in terms of realistic squad quality improvement other than some vague "you'll have to be patient" deflection.

So without significant new investment the choice seems to be either to keep going at the foot of the table, accepting a win ratio of 10% but surviving in SL due to the club's size, or dropping down a league or two and finding a new home. Not so much "it's the hope that kills you" but the complete lack of it.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You miss my point Mrs Barista which I probably didn't convey very eloquently. I got a bit Brave heart by the time I'd finished typing!) . I'm doing my fair share of being a spoilt whinger myself. My point is that it won't get us anywhere and we would be better off focusing our frustration on being the loyal, passionate, vocal group of supporters that we know we are...thereby responsibility as supporters achieved and over to you Messrs Pearson and Smith.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7338No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19461_1425327910.gif
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19461.gif

Quote: EtonStreetRifle "You miss my point Mrs Barista which I probably didn't convey very eloquently. I got a bit Brave heart by the time I'd finished typing!) . I'm doing my fair share of being a spoilt whinger myself. My point is that it won't get us anywhere and we would be better off focusing our frustration on being the loyal, passionate, vocal group of supporters that we know we are...thereby responsibility as supporters achieved and over to you Messrs Pearson and Smith.'"

Interesting posts but I have to say that Loyalty is never in doubt!!!

However I do admire your sentiments what's more make no mistake Mrs B gets it as well, for there is little doubt that many on here will always support their club and be there whatever. Some of us with 60 odd years of pass holding behind us never stop loving the club and that's something that we will take to our grave with us. We have been on here for over 20 years often defending the club against the spoilt whingers during lives that have seen us in some real holes and minutes away from folding and yet it is a club that has provided the best day we ever had in our lives.

So make no mistake we'll always be there for our club. But the fact is even for the most hardened supporters the current situation is soul destroying. In the last week at least six guys have stoped me in Beverley and said "I'm keeping my pass I love the club Pete, but I can't face going anymore at present". I try to gee them up but in my heart of hearts I feel the same. The thought of going on Friday is way too much for me but god bless those who are going.

We have seen bad times but even in the worst there were green shoots of optimism. Something to cling to and signs of better times ahead. But I think now when I look inwardly at how I feel I can't remember feeling so helpless about the lack of passion the lack of any sort of leaders on the field, the lack of direction in attack and organisation in defence. I don't think a lot of the players think like I do anymore. That plus the fact that no one away from the playing side wants to speak to us, the folks who have invested so much in the club. But the absolute killer is that of a club that no matter who plays for it who manages it and who owns it continues on in the same inherent culture year on year and this time, with our last two rounds of recruitment and more important the players that have left there just sees to be no way out!!

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player110No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I post on here infrequently but have visited daily for a number of years. I respect both your points of view (Mrs B and Wilf) and don't doubt your passion for our great club. I agree that this is just about the worst hole we've been in and feel as hopeless as you do but unlike the pass holders you mention, I think that now is exactly the time not to vote with your feet but is the time to get there and get behind the badge. Being recognised as and recognising ourselves as being great supporters may well be all we have left. For instance, by doing this at Caravan Park next week it will at least prevent us from enduring the "we can see you sneaking out diatribe from the scum! We can't outplay them so let's out sing them!

RankPostsTeam
International Star1173No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Dentist Wilf "Interesting posts but I have to say that Loyalty is never in doubt!!!

what's more Mrs B gets it as well, for there is little doubt that many on here will always support their club and be there whatever. Some of us with 60 odd years of pass holding behind us never stop loving the club and that's something that we will take to our grave with us.'"

Just before Christmas my brother in law died in his early 80's. He lived in Hull for all his life and was an FC fan from an early age. He was a pass holder for over 60 years and went to away games until a few months ago. He just loved the club and made many friends in supporting the club

My sister arranged his funeral including the live internet transmission of the service which I viewed at midnight here. The casket at his request was wrapped in 'Old Faithful' regalia with his Hull scarf and the old match shirt which he wore for years.

I asked him once about his affection for the club and he answered that following Hull had given him so many wonderful memories for which he would forever be thankful and grateful and that he would continue to support them through thick and thin till he couldn't any more.

I know there are many Hull FC fans today just like him!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach579
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Sam the Eagle.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Sam the Eagle.gif

Quote: EtonStreetRifle "You miss my point Mrs Barista which I probably didn't convey very eloquently. I got a bit Brave heart by the time I'd finished typing!) . I'm doing my fair share of being a spoilt whinger myself. My point is that it won't get us anywhere and we would be better off focusing our frustration on being the loyal, passionate, vocal group of supporters that we know we are...thereby responsibility as supporters achieved and over to you Messrs Pearson and Smith.'"

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player491No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20231 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: EtonStreetRifle "I post on here infrequently but have visited daily for a number of years. I respect both your points of view (Mrs B and Wilf) and don't doubt your passion for our great club. I agree that this is just about the worst hole we've been in and feel as hopeless as you do but unlike the pass holders you mention, I think that now is exactly the time not to vote with your feet but is the time to get there and get behind the badge. Being recognised as and recognising ourselves as being great supporters may well be all we have left. For instance, by doing this at Caravan Park next week it will at least prevent us from enduring the "we can see you sneaking out diatribe from the scum! We can't outplay them so let's out sing them!'"

Let’s out sing them, Jesus Christ icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Junior Player299
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20241 year
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
79992_1713010866.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_79992.jpg

I think the biggest problem with fans getting behind the club (which is a great sentiment by the way) is that the fanbase is so divided at the moment. I'm not just talking about the "happy clappers" and the "doom mongers" but fans just seem to be split about everything at the moment. You just have to look on here and on social media to see that there's a real lack of unity about what is going on and what can be done. You have some blaming Smith and the coaches with calls to bring Radders back, some blaming the players and saying to sack the lot of them, some blaming James Clark and saying he should be sacked too, others blaming Adam Pearson and saying he needs to sell up, also those blaming the fans saying we're not been supportive enough.

Now of course everyone has got an opinion and are entitled to it but I think the fact that there are so many different opinions and fans pulling in so many different directions at the moment really does make the idea of everyone uniting behind the common cause something of a pipe dream. I do also think that the club itself has caused this division not just in the results and performances on the pitch but also in the lack of engagement with the fans. It feels like there is a huge disconnect between both sides with only Smith speaking out with what is increasingly sounding like empty platitudes and one player each week bigging up the work done in training ahead of the next incoming defeat. We rarely hear from Clark and Pearson and that's usually only to sell us something.

What we really need is for some transparency. For Pearson to ideally tell us exactly what the situation is, what our aims are, how we are going about achieving those and how long they think it will take to do that. Just lay it out to the fanbase with honesty and frankness. Yes, there'll always be those that don't like what they hear but if the club actually attempts to engage with us, maybe it will pull the majority together again.

574 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
574 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.44384765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
6m
2024 Dream Team
Or thane
10m
Shopping list for 2025
Blackandwhit
27m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Fantastic Mr
33m
Tonights match v London
Fantastic Mr
38m
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
TnT
40m
Rumours thread
Scarlet Pimp
40m
Who do we want in the play-offs
karetaker
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Betting 2024
karetaker
28s
Rumours thread
Scarlet Pimp
29s
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
29s
Off Contract 2025
RAPIDO
34s
2024 Dream Team
Or thane
36s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
batleyrhino
37s
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
TnT
54s
Planning for next season
Cokey
58s
Halifax A
Bull Mania
1m
Tonights match v London
Fantastic Mr
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
SL Dream Team 2024
Exeter Rhino
TODAY
2024 Dream Team
Or thane
TODAY
Loop fixtures 2025
easyWire
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition St Helens Home Play Off
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information Play Off Eliminator 27/9/24
LancashireRe
TODAY
Swinton v Dons - Sunday 22 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
AJoshua
karetaker
TODAY
David Hughes
orangeman
TODAY
Catalans Dragons Finish Seventh Hull Avoid the Wooden Spoon
RLFANS News
TODAY
BigTime
TODAY
Season 2024
batleyrhino
TODAY
Hull KR Secure Second With Victory Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights match v London
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Wembley photo
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
westgaterunn
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
chapylad
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,239 ↑27580,12414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R27

15:00
Batley
20-10
Swinton
Latest

Halifax
10-10
Bradford
Latest

Swinton
20-16
Doncaster
Latest
       League One 2024-R24

Hunslet
12-14
Midlands
Latest

Keighley
26-12
Rochdale
Latest
 Fri 27th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R30
10:50
Melbourne
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
20:00
Salford
v
Leigh
 Sat 28th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R30
10:50
Penrith
v
Cronulla
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
17:00
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
York
v
Featherstone
 Sun 27th Oct 2024
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov 2024
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 22nd Sep
CH
LIVE
Batley20-10Swinton
CH
LIVE
Halifax10-10Bradford
CH
LIVE
Swinton20-16Doncaster
L1
LIVE
Hunslet12-14Midlands
L1
LIVE
Keighley26-12Rochdale
Sat 21st Sep
SL 27 Hull FC4-24Catalans
CH 27 Featherstone50-12Dewsbury
CH 27 Widnes12-18Toulouse
CH 27 Wakefield46-0Barrow
NRL 29 Sydney40-16Manly
Fri 20th Sep
SL 27 Hull KR26-16Leeds
SL 27 Leigh18-12St.Helens
SL 27 Warrington54-0LondonB
CH 27 Sheffield24-26York
NRL 29 Cronulla26-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Warrington 27 738 319 419 40
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
Leigh 27 566 398 168 31
St.Helens 27 596 388 208 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 25 938 256 682 48
Toulouse 24 680 352 328 33
Bradford 25 628 383 245 33
York 26 639 463 176 28
Featherstone 25 616 484 132 28
Sheffield 25 618 498 120 28

Widnes 25 525 451 74 27
Doncaster 25 486 547 -61 23
Batley 25 398 523 -125 22
Halifax 25 485 627 -142 21