Feb 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/The Swedish Chef.gif
F.C till i die:Black Backgrounds/The Swedish Chef.gif

Quote: mosher "Last night I actually expected us to win away at Wigan, just let that sink in for a minute...

Ok I'm going to regret saying this but I honestly think this squad is the best we have had since the classic championship winning squad of 1983. The Polynesian brotherhood reminds me of the quartet of Kiwis we had in those halcyon days. The team spirit and connection the team has with the crowd is just a joy to behold and to see a FC side full of attacking ideas and off loading like the classic Saints side of a few years back makes me want to pinch myself, it almost makes me feel like what I am witnessing unfold each week is a day dream. We just get better with each progressive round.

However, as an FC fan I've seen many a false dawn, the difference this year is I am gradually starting to believe that WE are the form team, WE are the side with the momentum and We have the best chance in a generation of taking this all the way to Wembley and Old Trafford. This is our year to finally get our hands on some silverware, beyond that we have a squad now to maintain a competitive top four position for many years to come.

2016 is going to be a season we will talk about for years as the one when the sleeping giant finally stepped up to the mark.

So back to my question, do you believe?'"

Great piece and yes
[sizeI BEL13VE [/size

RankPostsTeam
International Star1406
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51233_1315864499.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51233.gif

Bit too soon to compare us with our early 1980's vintage.

It's starting to feel more like the new dawn that came with the Smith/Cleal era. Then we continued to improve, won some great games and headed the league for weeks before dipping down to third, but secured the Premiership.

This team is now really growing, as is Radford and the spirit and confidence is there for all to see. If we keep this up, we will definaty be competing at the end of the season. It's a very open competition and we are now capable of beating anyone on our day.

It's exciting times ahead for us I feel and the stability we have now laid down for next season means this could become another special time for the club.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29738
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Add in a quality 6 and 2017 could be a very good year for us

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12260
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33934.gif
BLACK AND WHITES East is East,West is West, and never the twain shall meet. -------------------------------- "I" said the sparrow "With my bow and arrow.":33934.gif

After seasons of false dawns, yes I do.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3628
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/Sid.gif
I have lost interest:fonds blancs/Sid.gif

I'm getting there for sure. Players seem to have that confidence and confidence is an amazing thing in a dressing room.
We've been on the wrong end of confidence for a few years.

Tidy up Defence as we are 5th best D and 2nd best attack. I like 2nd best D and 5th best attack. That's usually how you win Championships. Adam Pearson was kind enough to email a few weeks back and said Defence was their number one priority.

Canberra Raiders have scored more points than Melbourne Storm but Raiders are 9th and Storm top. However Storm concede only 12 points a game and Broncos only 11 points a game. This is RL at the highest level and only 11 points a game conceded.

For the first 7 games of the season Wayne Bennett hasn't coached attack in training. Only Defence and Broncos are joint top.

Placed bets on CCup at 21/1 and Minor premiers at 20/1 and GF e/way at 11/1

Placed more money last night at 10/1 for minor Prems as can reallly see us having a shot.

Tighten up the D and I firmly believe we can do a Treble

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29756No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16500_1696696672.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16500.jpg

Quote: BP1 "Now, I'm a cynical old so-and-so and 40 years of following the club have made me sceptical of over-reacting to a sudden burst of good form. However, even this cynical 50-something so-and-so is increasingly finding it difficult to keep a lid on my increasing excitement as 2016 unfolds.

We look strong and powerful, both physically and mentally, the team spirit is the best it's been in years and the players clearly believe in themselves, individually and as a collective team (witness the last twenty minutes last night).

There is every reason to believe that something special may be about to happen. However (and here comes that warning voice in my head) I've been here before too many times and have seen too many hopes, dreams and aspirations disappear over the course of the last thirty years to be able to fully believe 100%.

We had a similar run to this current one at about this time (post Easter) three years ago and by the end of that season we'd suffered humiliating defeats at Wembley and Huddersfield and despair had set in once more. That scenario has to be qualified by the observation that the current squad is unquestionably better than the 2013 vintage.

So, to answer the original question; do I believe?, well this cynical 50-something so-and-so hasn't been able to fully believe 100% since Wembley 1983 (some scars can run very deep when supporting a team!), but even I can feel a palpable sense of rising excitement within the ranks of the faithful.

Do I Believe? Well let's just say that I'm getting there with each passing week (especially these past seven days) and if I'm starting to think along those lines then everybody else must surely be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start a week of feverish praying that this feeling continues until at least the end of the month (and hopefully all the way into October).

Yours Faithfully,
A Cynical 50-something so-and-so.'"

Great post.

One of the biggest positives for me is the number of leaders we have on the field at the moment, players looking to lead from the front. Obviously Ellis is pivotal in this, but we also have Houghton in arguably career best form, Sneyd stepping up and running the plays, and Taylor whose attitude is one of refusing to be dominated. I think the combination of these with Talanoa and Fonua causing problems out the back and a very good blend in the pack means that the group's confidence, individually and collectively, is justifiably high ATM. The whole thing could go to carp at any point of course, but I think fans' confidence is that we've got a strong, fit squad, and are playing cohesively and consistently, not depending on the biggest individuals in the club to create something from nothing like we used to do with Willie Manu, for example. Definitely feels like a more enjoyable season than the last few, so far.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4023_1645969784.jpeg
https://busesfortrains.bandcamp.com/releases:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_4023.jpeg

Quote: BP1 "Now, I'm a cynical old so-and-so and 40 years of following the club have made me sceptical of over-reacting to a sudden burst of good form. However, even this cynical 50-something so-and-so is increasingly finding it difficult to keep a lid on my increasing excitement as 2016 unfolds.

We look strong and powerful, both physically and mentally, the team spirit is the best it's been in years and the players clearly believe in themselves, individually and as a collective team (witness the last twenty minutes last night).

There is every reason to believe that something special may be about to happen. However (and here comes that warning voice in my head) I've been here before too many times and have seen too many hopes, dreams and aspirations disappear over the course of the last thirty years to be able to fully believe 100%.

We had a similar run to this current one at about this time (post Easter) three years ago and by the end of that season we'd suffered humiliating defeats at Wembley and Huddersfield and despair had set in once more. That scenario has to be qualified by the observation that the current squad is unquestionably better than the 2013 vintage.

So, to answer the original question; do I believe?, well this cynical 50-something so-and-so hasn't been able to fully believe 100% since Wembley 1983 (some scars can run very deep when supporting a team!), but even I can feel a palpable sense of rising excitement within the ranks of the faithful.

Do I Believe? Well let's just say that I'm getting there with each passing week (especially these past seven days) and if I'm starting to think along those lines then everybody else must surely be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start a week of feverish praying that this feeling continues until at least the end of the month (and hopefully all the way into October).

Yours Faithfully,
A Cynical 50-something so-and-so.'"

Ah Wembley 1983, the scars still run deep. I was a fresh faced 17 year old and the bitter disappointment of that day on those terraces probably prepared me for many more to come. I don't think though anything will ever match that defeat, odd's on favourites, playing rank outsiders and just won the league. It really shouldn't have happened.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3628
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/Sid.gif
I have lost interest:fonds blancs/Sid.gif

Quote: mosher "Ah Wembley 1983, the scars still run deep. I was a fresh faced 17 year old and the bitter disappointment of that day on those terraces probably prepared me for many more to come. I don't think though anything will ever match that defeat, odd's on favourites, playing rank outsiders and just won the league. It really shouldn't have happened.'"

You had to go and mention that ... and the thread was going so well.
I had erased 83 from my memory in a kind of Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind scenario

RankPostsTeam
International Star3870
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: mosher "Ah Wembley 1983, the scars still run deep. I was a fresh faced 17 year old and the bitter disappointment of that day on those terraces probably prepared me for many more to come. I don't think though anything will ever match that defeat, odd's on favourites, playing rank outsiders and just won the league. It really shouldn't have happened.'"

I was 15 and remember those feelings as well. I was in tears in 1980 and absolutely incandescent with rage in 1983. I did enjoy 1986 though!

RankPostsTeam
International Star1406
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51233_1315864499.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51233.gif

All our other Wembley defeats were in matches which could have gone either way.

The 1983 match was one were expected to win and should have won. We cam out all guns blazing in the second half and got into a lead before being pegged back by a dogged and more enthusiastic Featherstone team.

In the end, Featherstone deserved to win and I never had a problem with that at all.

I still think our total no show versus Wigan in 2013 was the hardest defeat to stomach.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21865
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7078_1361913407.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7078.jpg

Quote: Rugby Raider "All our other Wembley defeats were in matches which could have gone either way.

The 1983 match was one were expected to win and should have won. We cam out all guns blazing in the second half and got into a lead before being pegged back by a dogged and more enthusiastic Featherstone team.

In the end, Featherstone deserved to win and I never had a problem with that at all.

I still think our total no show versus Wigan in 2013 was the hardest defeat to stomach.'"

It was and as I said earlier I'm sure that should we make a final this year or next we will be mentally as well as physically tougher.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

I've been one of the clubs biggest critics for the last few years, but I BELIEVE! Been a long time since we've seen an FC side play with so much passion, team spirit and organisation. Several players have lifted their games (most Notably Sneyd) to levels I couldn't have imagined just a few months ago.

We are still probably a centre and stand-off short of being on full-power, but in a year when many teams are inconsistent and Leeds out of the running, why can't it be our year?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12839_1486909898.png
[b:16wvcohs]"To play your best football you need players with enthusiasm and drive and energy." - [i:16wvcohs]Peter Sterling[/i:16wvcohs][/b:16wvcohs] [quote="Adam Pearson said not":16wvcohs][b:16wvcohs]I know there are two franchises and two clubs (in Hull) and that will remain forever more[/b:16wvcohs][/quote:16wvcohs]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_12839.png

This is the best set of players across the park that we've had for years and it appears to be competitive with all other teams in the league. We have a really good chance to advance in both comps. As stated fitness of key plays will be crucial.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4891
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: Rugby Raider "All our other Wembley defeats were in matches which could have gone either way.

I still think our total no show versus Wigan in 2013 was the hardest defeat to stomach.'"

Unfortunately, being of an age, I can vividly recall crying in 1959 and 1960 when we were demolished by Wigan and then Wakey. As a 17/18 year old it was pretty hard to take and subsequent defeats at Wembley have done nothing to take the pain away. Thank God for Cardiff, at least I was there to see us lift the cup.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7462No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Could have been very different if Charnley hadnt run down Jamie Shaul

55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
55 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.22607421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
Bombed Out
3m
TV games not Wire
Uncle Rico
6m