JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Graham Richards "Okay split hairs not FULL but littered with players deemed not good enough for us, even Lynch. Add in Scott Wheeldon as well. The fact of the matter is we thought they were surplus to requirements and yet Mr Powell has manged to mold them into a team that plays with immense pride and performing far better than anybody expected in February 2014.
As for those coming our way only Westerman has improved which is my point entirely. It was certainly not a dig at Cas.'"

It did sound like a dig with the "small village team" comment!
I never understood when you signed Arundel, he was awful for us too.
Although I don't see him every week, I'm not sure Westerman has got back to the level he was at Cas. He might look like he has improved to you, but that's due to the massive amount he went backwards in his first couple of years at Hull.
I just hope Sneyd doesn't go the same way.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5452-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
"Be you ever so high, the law is above you" "No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is". - Irvin Himmel Tony, Blacklock, Yeaman, Whiting, Raynor, R. Horne, Brough, Dowes, Swain, Carvell, McMenemy, Kearney, Cooke. Replacements: Thackray, King, Chester, Saxton.:icons077e_files/5452-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: nottinghamtiger "It did sound like a dig with the "small village team" comment!
Although I don't see him every week, I'm not sure Westerman has got back to the level he was at Cas. He might look like he has improved to you, but that's due to the massive amount he went backwards in his first couple of years at Hull.
I just hope Sneyd doesn't go the same way.'"

Sorry I see your point. I did not mean any offence to Cas. But when you compare like for like. Incomes, crowds etc we should be doing better than Cas. Thats on paper and potential. Sadly for us the reality is that we are a poor second best.
We have always done well out of Castleford in my time of supporting Hull. Knocker Norton being the prime example.
I look forward to cheering you on, on Saturday from my seat in the stand and hope the FC rejects bring home the cup for you. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5452-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
"Be you ever so high, the law is above you" "No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is". - Irvin Himmel Tony, Blacklock, Yeaman, Whiting, Raynor, R. Horne, Brough, Dowes, Swain, Carvell, McMenemy, Kearney, Cooke. Replacements: Thackray, King, Chester, Saxton.:icons077e_files/5452-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: weaver93 "The blame for the debacle lays firmly at the door of Adam Pearson and previous owners.

Why??? , they always appoint unproven Head Coaches, where there are no structures & foundations in place.

We need someone who can gel a group of individuals into a TEAM.

Our passing is slow & inaccurate, dummy runners are virtually non existent. - these are coachable,- you dont need top players to achieve these basic skills.

Game after game, we see the same failings, basic errors slow wayward passing,dropped passes, mistimed dummy runners , I dont feel the staff/players work hard enough at improving basic core skills.'"

Spot on.

I was told that this year was an improvement on last as the players had some kind of working week structure and knew where they stood day to day. Well thats working well.

I recently attended a RU coaching course which was taken by a regional coach. He emphasised the basics over and over again. Okay I coach youngsters, but he stressed that even the national squads do basic drills to keep the basic skills up to scratch.
Its a different code I know, but the principle remains the same. I couldn't imagine any of the basics of the game being practiced by our squads. (I stand corrected if they do).
PTB is a massive issue for us and while he is part of "Club Hull" I would be looking to replace Houghton for a start as his distribution is far too slow. He will be feeding Sneyd and Pryce next year and that will dampen their effectiveness immediately.
But I guess from November until February they will have plenty of time to get that right. icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3872
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11887_1335108466.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11887.png

Quote: Graham Richards "Spot on.

I was told that this year was an improvement on last as the players had some kind of working week structure and knew where they stood day to day. Well thats working well.

I recently attended a RU coaching course which was taken by a regional coach. He emphasised the basics over and over again. Okay I coach youngsters, but he stressed that even the national squads do basic drills to keep the basic skills up to scratch.
Its a different code I know, but the principle remains the same. I couldn't imagine any of the basics of the game being practiced by our squads. (I stand corrected if they do).
PTB is a massive issue for us and while he is part of "Club Hull" I would be looking to replace Houghton for a start as his distribution is far too slow. He will be feeding Sneyd and Pryce next year and that will dampen their effectiveness immediately.
But I guess from November until February they will have plenty of time to get that right.
Great post ... especially Re:Houghton.

Houghton's distribution could be fixed easily, his passing technique, accuracy are all coachable,
but... we never see any improvement.

RankPostsTeam
International Star23No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Sep 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Fozzie%20Bear.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Fozzie%20Bear.gif

Quote: weaver93 "The blame for the debacle lays firmly at the door of Adam Pearson and previous owners.

Why??? , they always appoint unproven Head Coaches, where there are no structures & foundations in place.

We need someone who can gel a group of individuals into a TEAM.

Our passing is slow & inaccurate, dummy runners are virtually non existent. - these are coachable,- you dont need top players to achieve these basic skills.

Game after game, we see the same failings, basic errors slow wayward passing,dropped passes, mistimed dummy runners , I dont feel the staff/players work hard enough at improving basic core skills.'"

Totally Agree, I just don't get why every FC owner wastes money on buying over the hill players but then refuse to pay good money to bring a top coach in what is probably more important then that big signing. Why we have to always go for the unproven assistant coach is beyond me this job is to big for someone learning there trade.

RankPostsTeam
International Star277
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60404_1375165563.png
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and proudly proclaiming `Wow, what a ride`:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60404.png

Houghton for a long time now has lost the basic passing skill required of a top class hooker, he does`nt drill the ball away from acting half with the speed to create space for his runners and the loft in his passing gives opponents the time to shut down any space that runs had made.
Sneyd is`nt the answer to our halfback problem either. He will not set alight the game as some anticipate.
Lets hope Cunningham can pressurize Houghton into realizing his own inadequencies.
I for one have had enough of this season, I no longer have the desire to go although I do but it is now with trepidation.
Thankfully we avoided the drop but next season it is a certainty we will be embroiled in a lower league playoff scrap.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner25514No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Another worry has to be players like Crooks, Bowden, Cunningham and Thompson not playing for about a month now, this can't be good for them or their confidence. With three games left and nothing to play for I'd hope that these players will get some game time.

On another note, I hope the RL look into the under 19s and Dual Reg, as it isn't working for young fringe players at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner25514No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Judge "Houghton for a long time now has lost the basic passing skill required of a top class hooker, he does`nt drill the ball away from acting half with the speed to create space for his runners and the loft in his passing gives opponents the time to shut down any space that runs had made.
Sneyd is`nt the answer to our halfback problem either. He will not set alight the game as some anticipate.
Lets hope Cunningham can pressurize Houghton into realizing his own inadequencies.
I for one have had enough of this season, I no longer have the desire to go although I do but it is now with trepidation.
Thankfully we avoided the drop but next season it is a certainty we will be embroiled in a lower league playoff scrap.'"

If Sneyd had played yesterday we would have had the game won in 20 mins, really lacked someone with composure and a kicking game to take advantage of the wind.

Even with him signing and the other two, I don't think we will make the required progress with our current coaching set up.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3231No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17490_1406583406.jpg
First there was wisdom Then there was knowledge Now there is only information:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17490.jpg

Quote: Dave K. "]Another worry has to be players like Crooks, Bowden, Cunningham and Thompson not playing for about a month now, this can't be good for them or their confidence. With three games left and nothing to play for I'd hope that these players will get some game time.]

On another note, I hope the RL look into the under 19s and Dual Reg, as it isn't working for young fringe players at the moment.'"

I think its looking increasingly likely that neither Crooks nor Thompson will be here next season.

Its not looking good for Cunningham either if he wasn't included yesterday when Heremaia was injured.

Bowden is better than Green IMO and should be playing instead of him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach290No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: nottinghamtiger "It did sound like a dig with the "small village team" comment!
I just hope Sneyd doesn't go the same way.'"

Is that so I thought he got young player of the year and was nominated for rookie of the year. And an Knights call up

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner25514No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Diogenes "I think its looking increasingly likely that neither Crooks nor Thompson will be here next season.

Its not looking good for Cunningham either if he wasn't included yesterday when Heremaia was injured.

Bowden is better than Green IMO and should be playing instead of him.'"

Looks that way about Crooks, such a shame as he is the most naturally gifted back we have, with a good coach and support of players he would be a great centre, I think if he goes, it will be a decision we come to regret.

I think Cunningham still has a future at Hull, think Radford is holding him back (wrongly IMO), but will play off the bench next season.

Not too bothered about Thomspon, started teh season great, but his form tailed off and the last few games he played, he was disappointing, his defence needs some serious work to play in the forwards, I'd look to play him in the backrow from now on.

Green and Bowden are about the same level IMO, some games they are excellent, others poor, both need to be more consistent, will be a good fight between them for the 4th prop next season.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40284.jpg

Think we need to realise with Ben Crooks that sometimes it's just not the clubs fault that things haven't worked out and the finger of blame needs to be pointed at the player. Easy to blame the club and coach, especially this year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: hazzard ",
Is that so I thought he got young player of the year and was nominated for rookie of the year. And an Knights call up'"

Not quite sure I understand your point. At Cas Westerman won SL Young Player of the Year and was called into the full England squad (only to get injured before the international games). Since moving to Hull he has not regained his spot in the England squad until this year and has not performed as well as he did at Cas (from what I have seen).

RankPostsTeam
International Star7668No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: *1865* "Think we need to realise with Ben Crooks that sometimes it's just not the clubs fault that things haven't worked out and the finger of blame needs to be pointed at the player. Easy to blame the club and coach, especially this year.'"

Why? What has Ben Crooks done wrong? Missed some tackles yes but what about the inept displays of Whiting at centre.he has also missed tackles and has been run around easily by anyone with a bit of pace yet Radford continues to play him.That said he will be dropped for the next match.
You cant blame Crooks at all for being disillusioned the way Radford has treated him.Even when Yeaman was injured recently and an ideal time to give Crooks a run Radford overlooked him and played an under19 rookie.
We have an incompetent coach and it will be travesty if he or any other flair player is hounded out of the club by Radford because they are not a tackle machine.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14158No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40284_1492546122.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40284.jpg

Quote: bonaire "Why? What has Ben Crooks done wrong? Missed some tackles yes but what about the inept displays of Whiting at centre.he has also missed tackles and has been run around easily by anyone with a bit of pace yet Radford continues to play him.That said he will be dropped for the next match.
You cant blame Crooks at all for being disillusioned the way Radford has treated him.Even when Yeaman was injured recently and an ideal time to give Crooks a run Radford overlooked him and played an under19 rookie.
We have an incompetent coach and it will be travesty if he or any other flair player is hounded out of the club by Radford because they are not a tackle machine.'"

You're going only on what you've seen on match day, there's 6 other days in the week that require a certain level of effort and commitment to being a professional RL player. It's not even a secret, there's plenty on here that know what's going on with Ben, some issues are beyond even Ben's control, but most of them are his fault.

206 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
206 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.36767578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
7m
Todays match v Saints
just_browny
8m