JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40452_1335639638.jpg
[img:218z2l9g]http://i40.tinypic.com/tz8ti.jpg[/img:218z2l9g]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40452.jpg

Quote: Rock God X "Maybe he just won't be held over a barrel. If paying more realistic contracts to players and getting better value from the cap means we have to lose a few along the way, so be it. We've been complaining for years that we don't have the same quality or depth as other clubs who spend the full cap, then, when someone tries to rectify the situation, we start moaning because players are rumoured to be leaving. You can't have it all ways. The time to start worrying/complaining is if and when the recruitment for next year is finished and we don't look stronger than we do this year. Until then, we should give the people responsible time to do the whole job.'"

I agree the judgement will be when recruitment is finish. However not sure about the holding over the barrel scenario though, my point is the club stated G.Ellis signed for us even though we did not offer the most money, claiming he bought into the vision, why are a lot of our key players not buying into this vision even though they are being offered revised better contracts, this is not just about 1 or 2 players this is about possibly half a dozen (key players)
Also the club clearly want to keep some of these players and appear not to be able to do so. Why has G. Ellis bought into this vision yet the players we already have are not buying into it ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28995_1336988015.jpg
Christianity: because you're so awful you made God kill himself.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28995.jpg

Quote: Marfa Manu "I agree the judgement will be when recruitment is finish.'"

Then why all the angst now? We're not halfway through [ithis[/i season yet, so there's a long way to go before next season's squad is complete.

Quote: Marfa Manu "However not sure about the holding over the barrel scenario though, my point is the club stated G.Ellis signed for us even though we did not offer the most money, claiming he bought into the vision, why are a lot of our key players not buying into this vision even though they are being offered revised better contracts, this is not just about 1 or 2 players this is about possibly half a dozen (key players)
Also the club clearly want to keep some of these players and appear not to be able to do so'"

Possibly half a dozen? All you've got to go on is message board rumour and speculation. However, even if they all turn out to be true, let's just look at the individual scenariosbecause[/i of the new culture at the club. If he goes, it will be back to the NRL, and who could blame him? Or the club, for that matter?

Briscoe - May go to the NRL, may not. He's contracted for next year, so a transfer fee would need to be paid by any club wanting his services. If he does go, again, it's hard to blame the club for the fact that a young player wants to test himself in the best club competition in the world. If he goes to another SL club, I'll be disappointed though.

Manu - Rumoured to have been offered more money over two years by Saints than we have offered over three. If that's the case, he'd be daft not to take it. It goes back to what I said earlier - we need to get the best possible value from the salary cap. We've gone as high as we possibly can by the sounds of it, and it would be foolish to try and hang on to him at all costs.

Turner - Rumour has it that he wants to be nearer his family in Lancashire. If that's the case, fair enough. I don't get all the concern about Turner. Yes, he looks very good this season. Yes, he's improved his defence. But it wasn't that long ago that many thought he wouldn't make it, and he only has half a season of consistently good performances under his belt. I'd like to keep him, but if he goes, there are better players out there.

O'Meley - Rumoured to have fallen out with the club. It happens. Maybe he's still sore about Agar going? Should the club have kept Agar to keep O'Meley happy?

I must reiterate - all of the above is rumour and speculation. Some or all of the players mentioned might actually stay. If they all go, then the reasons they are leaving are, in the vast majority of cases, personal, and nothing the club could do differently would change those reasons. In the case of Manu, the club are right not to commit too much of the salary cap on another back rower when we need strengthening in other areas. It's really nothing to do with players 'not buying into the vision'.

So, if we lose this half dozen players, we'll have to give AP, McRae and Gentle the time they need to find suitable replacements, which I'm fairly confident they will do.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16983No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40452_1335639638.jpg
[img:218z2l9g]http://i40.tinypic.com/tz8ti.jpg[/img:218z2l9g]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40452.jpg

Quote: Rock God X "Then why all the angst now? We're not halfway through [ithis[/i season yet, so there's a long way to go before next season's squad is complete.

Possibly half a dozen? All you've got to go on is message board rumour and speculation. However, even if they all turn out to be true, let's just look at the individual scenariosbecause[/i of the new culture at the club. If he goes, it will be back to the NRL, and who could blame him? Or the club, for that matter?

Briscoe - May go to the NRL, may not. He's contracted for next year, so a transfer fee would need to be paid by any club wanting his services. If he does go, again, it's hard to blame the club for the fact that a young player wants to test himself in the best club competition in the world. If he goes to another SL club, I'll be disappointed though.

Manu - Rumoured to have been offered more money over two years by Saints than we have offered over three. If that's the case, he'd be daft not to take it. It goes back to what I said earlier - we need to get the best possible value from the salary cap. We've gone as high as we possibly can by the sounds of it, and it would be foolish to try and hang on to him at all costs.

Turner - Rumour has it that he wants to be nearer his family in Lancashire. If that's the case, fair enough. I don't get all the concern about Turner. Yes, he looks very good this season. Yes, he's improved his defence. But it wasn't that long ago that many thought he wouldn't make it, and he only has half a season of consistently good performances under his belt. I'd like to keep him, but if he goes, there are better players out there.

O'Meley - Rumoured to have fallen out with the club. It happens. Maybe he's still sore about Agar going? Should the club have kept Agar to keep O'Meley happy?

I must reiterate - all of the above is rumour and speculation. Some or all of the players mentioned might actually stay. If they all go, then the reasons they are leaving are, in the vast majority of cases, personal, and nothing the club could do differently would change those reasons. In the case of Manu, the club are right not to commit too much of the salary cap on another back rower when we need strengthening in other areas. It's really nothing to do with players 'not buying into the vision'.

So, if we lose this half dozen players, we'll have to give AP, McRae and Gentle the time they need to find suitable replacements, which I'm fairly confident they will do.'"

Fair comment, hope you are right, I have not lost my faith in them just feel a bit uneasy, the recruitment is going to be a big task especially replacing some of the quality we may lose, hopefully we will recruit well

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8113
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8082_1359018606.jpg
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8082.jpg

Quote: Marfa Manu "
Quote: Marfa Manu "Then why all the angst now? We're not halfway through [ithis[/i season yet, so there's a long way to go before next season's squad is complete.

So, if we lose this half dozen players, we'll have to give AP, McRae and Gentle the time they need to find suitable replacements, which I'm fairly confident they will do.'"

Fair comment, hope you are right, I have not lost my faith in them just feel a bit uneasy, the recruitment is going to be a big task especially replacing some of the quality we may lose, hopefully we will recruit well'"

The other side of the coin maybe that they have had it good under the previous regime and now maybe do not like the change as there are certain targets and acheivement to make not just settle for scraping into the play offs as previous seasons.

The training may now also be a lot different and mean alot more hard work and whilst I'm not saying that the players are not adverse to extra effort it maybe that they simply do not like the change or possible pressure/expectation and wish to go elsewhere.

We have said for long enough as fans that we have too many players that are average and have not done won anything with these players. Also it was reported IIRC that as a club we did not get good value from the salary cap again with value/worth of the players so this may also have a bearing as AP, PG & SM may well have sorted this out to maximise our roster with the Cap restrictions.

I'm sure whatever happens between now and next season we will have a team at the start of 2013 that will be more than competitive and as we have seen already with the Gentle Touch so far a team that gives its all.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12346
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11987_1319451684.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11987.jpg

Quote: PAUL M "I reckon we will be in the market for an aussie prop. Also a fullback to replace Wade if he's going or a halfback with Horne going to fullback.'"

That's what I'd like to see , Horne at 1 and a new Half signed .

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3378
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11213.gif
:11213.gif

Quote: Marfa Manu "I agree the judgement will be when recruitment is finish. However not sure about the holding over the barrel scenario though, my point is the club stated G.Ellis signed for us even though we did not offer the most money, claiming he bought into the vision, why are a lot of our key players not buying into this vision even though they are being offered revised better contracts, this is not just about 1 or 2 players this is about possibly half a dozen (key players)
Also the club clearly want to keep some of these players and appear not to be able to do so. Why has G. Ellis bought into this vision yet the players we already have are not buying into it ?'"

The ‘revised better contracts’ doesn’t have to mean better than the one they are presently on.
It may mean better than the initial offer made on a new contract.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16983No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40452_1335639638.jpg

Quote: Isaiah "The ‘revised better contracts’ doesn’t have to mean better than the one they are presently on.
It may mean better than the initial offer made on a new contract.'"

Yes I understand that.

RankPostsTeam
International Star277
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60404_1375165563.png
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and proudly proclaiming `Wow, what a ride`:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60404.png

I can remember the time in the late 70`s and 80`s when players were queueing up to sign fo FC when we had that golden era. Players such as Knocker, Bridges, Farrar, Stone and Newlove started the influx which was to lead to our capture of the great David Topliss James Leuluai, Gary Kemble and Dane O'Hara. Fred Ah Koi thought it better to stay in Sydney but changed his mind the following season when he saw how much success was coming our way. This success led to players contacting the club instead of the other way round. Our signing of Peter Sterling went to show how big a club we were. Players then wanted to come here, very few wanted to leave. Those times are about to be repeated I believe, we just have to show patience.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2016Mar 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32093.jpg
:32093.jpg

Quote: Marfa Manu "I would like to know who decides which players we want Gentle or Bomber ?
I suspect Gentle says who he would like and Bomber negotiates, my next concern is what experience has Bomber got in negotiations with players/agents ?'"

Well he handled it all when he was here as coach, so a fair bit.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1294No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13012.gif
WE RUN BEST AT THE END. WE RUN BEST AT THE END OF PRACTICE. WE RUN BEST AT THE END OF THE RACE. WE RUN BEST AT THE END OF THE SEASON WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST. Hull FC est 1865 "West is best" Hull KR "Pride of East Hull" established West Hull:13012.gif

Quote: Chris71 "The other side of the coin maybe that they have had it good under the previous regime and now maybe do not like the change as there are certain targets and acheivement to make not just settle for scraping into the play offs as previous seasons.

The training may now also be a lot different and mean alot more hard work and whilst I'm not saying that the players are not adverse to extra effort it maybe that they simply do not like the change or possible pressure/expectation and wish to go elsewhere.

We have said for long enough as fans that we have too many players that are average and have not done won anything with these players. Also it was reported IIRC that as a club we did not get good value from the salary cap again with value/worth of the players so this may also have a bearing as AP, PG & SM may well have sorted this out to maximise our roster with the Cap restrictions.

I'm sure whatever happens between now and next season we will have a team at the start of 2013 that will be more than competitive and as we have seen already with the Gentle Touch so far a team that gives its all.'"

Good post.

I believe this will be one of the reasons for a few individuals.

As for not buying into the vision, then they gladdly leave and we can bring someone who does.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1431No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
54781_1349275167.jpg
Standee wrote: "because watching hull fc isn't worth the 200+ mile round trip ." I rest my case:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_54781.jpg

Like was said earlier if all those names leave then so be it, if they dont want to play for FC then bye bye
Manu.. class , hate to see him go but if he does then i understand why.
Briscoe.. young fella with a chance to live in Oz for a while and be paid decent cash ... who wouldnt
Ogre.. end of is time shortly anyway
Moa... family comes first
Turner... Family comes first
Mackinnon ...Family comes first
Thats all there is to it, they either sign or they do not and if they do not then we have bags of wonga there to bring in replacements for them
and as for people questioning again the recruitment process ...... think Gaz Ellis!!!!!
AP, Bomber and PG have clearly got a game plan and a time line in which to execute it so lets leave it with them and reap the sunshine when it comes to fruition

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons42da_files/5978-4369Kanaryali17-msnicons.gif
Nil......Zip.....Nothing....ZERO....0:icons42da_files/5978-4369Kanaryali17-msnicons.gif

Quote: The Judge "I can remember the time in the late 70`s and 80`s when players were queueing up to sign fo FC when we had that golden era. Players such as Knocker, Bridges, Farrar, Stone and Newlove started the influx which was to lead to our capture of the great David Topliss James Leuluai, Gary Kemble and Dane O'Hara. Fred Ah Koi thought it better to stay in Sydney but changed his mind the following season when he saw how much success was coming our way. This success led to players contacting the club instead of the other way round. Our signing of Peter Sterling went to show how big a club we were. Players then wanted to come here, very few wanted to leave. Those times are about to be repeated I believe, we just have to show patience.'"

I think the Rose tinted glasses need to come off.

Firstly, Bridges was signed in 1982, with only Ah Koui arriving after bridges had hung up his boots.

If you think any class player contacted the club you are sorely mistaken.
And this golden era you talk of?? From when the spending started big in 1978 to when we were forced to sell off big names just to stay afloat in 1987 we managed to win a grand total of 3 major competitions (JPS and CC in '82 and the league in '83). The BBCFT and the Yorkshire cup were secondary trophies at the time

Players came in those days from outside of Hull because our board at the time dug deep and splashed the cash. However three major trophies in nine years is hardly anything to write home about, not when put in comparison with how Wigan dominated in the late '80s/early '90s. Or how Bradford and St Helens took over that mantel for the first 8 years of SL and how Leeds have since dominated.

I think this is where we as a collective of fans over expect on our team. Yes our team of the early '80s was good and played good rugby, but they never dominated the game for any length of time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach959No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jun 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
42815.jpg
:42815.jpg

Quote: voodooroo "Like was said earlier if all those names leave then so be it, if they dont want to play for FC then bye bye
Manu.. class , hate to see him go but if he does then i understand why.
Briscoe.. young fella with a chance to live in Oz for a while and be paid decent cash ... who wouldnt
Ogre.. end of is time shortly anyway
Moa... family comes first
Turner... Family comes first
Mackinnon ...Family comes first
Thats all there is to it, they either sign or they do not and if they do not then we have bags of wonga there to bring in replacements for them
and as for people questioning again the recruitment process ...... think Gaz Ellis!!!!!
AP, Bomber and PG have clearly got a game plan and a time line in which to execute it so lets leave it with them and reap the sunshine when it comes to fruition'"

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif Good post

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6009.jpg
:6009.jpg

Quote: Mild mannered Janitor "I think the Rose tinted glasses need to come off.

Firstly, Bridges was signed in 1982, with only Ah Koui arriving after bridges had hung up his boots.

If you think any class player contacted the club you are sorely mistaken.
And this golden era you talk of?? From when the spending started big in 1978 to when we were forced to sell off big names just to stay afloat in 1987 we managed to win a grand total of 3 major competitions (JPS and CC in '82 and the league in '83). The BBCFT and the Yorkshire cup were secondary trophies at the time

Players came in those days from outside of Hull because our board at the time dug deep and splashed the cash. However three major trophies in nine years is hardly anything to write home about, not when put in comparison with how Wigan dominated in the late '80s/early '90s. Or how Bradford and St Helens took over that mantel for the first 8 years of SL and how Leeds have since dominated.

I think this is where we as a collective of fans over expect on our team. Yes our team of the early '80s was good and played good rugby, but they never dominated the game for any length of time.'"

So the 3 finals in 80,83 and 85 have just been forgotten.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1707No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5452-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
"Be you ever so high, the law is above you" "No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is". - Irvin Himmel Tony, Blacklock, Yeaman, Whiting, Raynor, R. Horne, Brough, Dowes, Swain, Carvell, McMenemy, Kearney, Cooke. Replacements: Thackray, King, Chester, Saxton.:icons077e_files/5452-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

I have not read this entire thread but what i find hard to understand is the following. Sorry if its been asked already.
Manu signs when Cas were relegated thinking we would kick on and win silverware. He then extends his stay under Agar. Did he have ambition to win trophies or was he happy to be a big fish in a small pond? He is now offered a contract to play in a team under a decent coach with an owner with genuine ambition. why would he want to go elsewhere? Does he lack ambition.
I accept money talks but the stress of moving family etc from a settled enviroment and the re settling period etc is it worth it? Surely with a salary cap the difference in package cant be that much. or is it?
If he goes elsewhere i would question his desire. Is it that Gentle's methods are too much for some of Agar's boys.

406 posts in 28 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
406 posts in 28 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.75830078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Zig
Recent
Round 27 HKR Away
His Bobness
Recent