FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > So exactly were are we going as a club !!
93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2697
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[size=200:1381yqo4] OLD FAITHFUL [/size:1381yqo4]:

Quote: The Dentist Wilf "well that was hard going wasn't it? But although its only the start of 2024, and some would say early days, for many of us in reality its all pretty depressing yet quite predictable in many ways.

I guess really you can’t go too much on the first game of the season but the signs were there for all to see against Wigan as well and we all tried to make excuses and indeed, this week we did suffer as much adversity as you could probably have in one game but that’s no real excuses because it was very very poor. we have made pretty second-rate signings when judged against some of our piers in super league. Smith isn’t a miracle worker and although I’m sure he picks the players he wants to bring in, his choice is restricted by the budgetary constraints put upon him by the owner through the club’s financial situation.

Adam is the owner and yes he’s brought us some great times, the best day of my life in fact and we’d have been stuffed without him and I really like the bloke.
\
However, he says he would welcome investors to the club but would he??? Because to me reading between the lines and knowing in the past how he runs his organisations he does seem to like to be the sole boss of things and had another investor or two been attracted to the club I think we would have signed better players year on year (including a couple of Marquee signings that used to be the hallmark of the club in the past) and replaced the class we were losing. That’s the crux of the issue for me because Smith is just playing the cards he is dealt. All this last big payday stuff is rubbish, he a proud man and proven to be a bloody good coach, but it’s just bricks without straw.

We haven’t had a real in your face leader since Ellis and we certainly haven’t replaced Sneyd, Swift or Connor or latterly Clifford when top clubs would have recognised them as the bed rock on which we build a team for the future and probably persuaded them not to leave, in fact at other clubs having seen the progress made they would possibly have been content to stay. Good teams get good players and add to them and when they have difficult, but gifted, individuals (like Connor) they manage them. I know players cite family reasons etc for moving but it’s a short career and if you’re getting well paid and can see a future to win trophies whilst getting exposure and acclaim from the fans then generally you don’t move. As far as imports are concerned we are now resign to signing players coming here to make a name for themselves and then go back home more lucrative deals (Clifford) or teams with better prospects (Satae for example).

Covid certainly hasn’t helped but since 2016/17 everything has slipped back at our club, if we sign quality players they seem to have injury baggage, good and great players have been replaced with mediocre ones, we have had two cheap and cheerful coaches before Smith came along and the ‘smokescreen’ of youth development and the cost of it, has been used to disguise somewhat just what we are signing to replace the quality players we lose. We all love the youngsters coming through of course we do but Super League is a brutal affair and as such you can’t play more than two or three greenhorns in a team for any length of time, it just doesn’t work. It’s a long road to the topped and many youngsters fall by the wayside, but across the main squad you have to focus on replacing like for like otherwise you go backwards.

The only thing that hasn’t slipped back is us lot the loyal and long-suffering fans because if anything we have grown in number since 2017 or at least stayed constantly at a level many clubs can only dream of. I know people who can no longer go who still buy season tickets just to support the club. Perhaps had we all voted with our feet a few years ago then things might have changed, just to ensure we survived, but why worry too much about a backward progression if the stakeholders continue to support? Now we already have a ward full of casualties, a loss to start the season off against the worst of enemies, the morons baying from the east everywhere we go and no cap space (apparently) to change things, even if those players were available. So once again it’s going to be a long season, but one year the fans might just get fed up and see what is happening and then we are in trouble, but for now forget coach’s owners and players our greatest asset is us lot the fans!!!!! I remember perhaps 15 or so odd years ago on here the famous Hutchie saying that we were ‘the cash cows of the club and being hauled over the coals by the then board for saying it. I wonder if he has a feeling of de je vue now?

So that's my take on it however, having come down a bit from last night for me a season ticket holder of 64 years the club appears to be slipping back from being one of the games top set ups to mediocrity at best, trouble is we all love em and many of us always will, but surely we can't go on like this? perhaps I'm over reacting, old people eh???? Just my view on it all, but I'd be interesting to know what others think about it all! It's not knee jerk after one game just a real concern for where we actually are!!!'"

Not an over reaction at all Pete. We have had 5 poor seasons and probably heading for a sixth.

Im sick of Pearson insulting us saying we are at cap. Absolute rubbish. We are around 500K under.
As you say, it's a real concern where we are heading.

One game in and we are certainly in a crisis. Injuries are biting and we are going to lose at least one player to a big suspension.
I like many renewed my pass and bought merchandise and was very much looking forward to a fresh start with a new look squad but one game in and feel completely fed up and questioning as to whether i want to use time i could be spending with my family on a Saturday or Sunday by going and having to suffer similar to not just what was served up Thursday but what has been served up for the most part the last 5 seasons.

The fact Pearson was happy with the second half sums up the club at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16969No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

Average league finish under Heatherington (including 2011 as Pearson didnt arrive til the Summer) = 6th with 1 Cup win, 1 defeat and a Grand Final.

Average league finish under Pearson = 7th, 2 Cup wins, 1 defeat

So you can argue that not a lot has changed in almost 25 years...but of course its the rate of recent decline thats the concern.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16969No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg

Quote: fosdyke99 "whos acun?'"

Hull City owner, but its a long shot that an overseas millionaire would want to invest in an English minority sport. Added clout to get ownership of the stadium and the land that surrounds it probably the only incentive there.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain796No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

cheers,never heard of him,having said that i have no interest in city or football.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3715
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dave K. "Only Clune, Fages and Frawley are 7's.

One turned us down, one is average and the other was only ever going to Saints.

Quote: Dave K. "I'd have made a move for Abdul, but he needed to get out the city, is keep an eye on him for next season though'"
.'"

Or this season if he gets homesick perhaps. He's exactly what we need a playmaker who will guide us around the pitch. Hopefully after getting dumped by Rovers it'll be a wake up call and he sorts his fitness out.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16969No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg

Quote: Marcus's Bicycle "Or this season if he gets homesick perhaps. He's exactly what we need a playmaker who will guide us around the pitch. Hopefully after getting dumped by Rovers it'll be a wake up call and he sorts his fitness out.'"

So if he lets another club down and you'd still want him? We're desperate but not that desperate.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain796No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

i personally think pearson is happy for hull to coast this season,we cant get relegated and he wants his debts reducing.i think pearson has been good for hull,but like players and coaches,owners can be here to long.we need fresh ideas and impetus at the top.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16969No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg

Quote: fosdyke99 "i personally think pearson is happy for hull to coast this season,we cant get relegated and he wants his debts reducing.i think pearson has been good for hull,but like players and coaches,owners can be here to long.we need fresh ideas and impetus at the top.'"

Agree, its a try and sort the debt out year. How long people keep paying to watch is the big question, particularly with the introduction of streaming. £6.99 to sit at home versus £34 to go will be interesting later in the season. Ive still not seen any detail on if the home team gets a share of the streaming money either.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29754No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16500_1696696672.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16500.jpg

We don't really know the financial situation other than random and sometimes contradictory snippets which seem to vary depending on whether passes are on sale or not.

As Pete alludes to I don't think AP wants dilution of control. Could this be because actually he's taking a decent salary from the club and wants to maintain that income? I've no idea but struggle to see why no one else wants to come on board at all and we've had anecdotal chat about investment being knocked back.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8408
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: UllFC "I wouldent want Abdull back given his attitude, sure he'd have been 10 times better than the halves the other night but we'd just be kicking the can down the road. He's continually unfit and causing off the field problems.'"

His reason to get out of the City wasn't really his fault though icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8408
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If you speak to Sponsors and other stakeholders in RL, Clarky pleads poverty to everyone, so when AP comes out and says we are at cap, there is no way that can be true. Either we are running at cap and there is some real mis-management of salaries and contracts, or they are spinning a load of lies. Man for man with the top 6, our squad is far weaker so either Hoy, Carlos etc are on 150k plus, I just can't see it

RankPostsTeam
International Star3715
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: UllFC "So if he lets another club down and you'd still want him? We're desperate but not that desperate.'"

Albert Kelly and Liam Watts both left under a cloud and we were very pleased to take them.

Desperate? after Thursday night I would say yes.

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player726No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Club is going backwards and will only continue to go backs until further investment comes into the club, AP skint and attracting investors to the table will be a mammoth task. Most concerned I’ve been of this club in 20 years of watching.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11572
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16831.gif
:16831.gif

investors wont invest if they cant have any say in the clubs day to day running, something Pearson won;t give up unless bought out completely!

catch 22 imo, Pearson is safe guarding the club from going bankrupt by cutting costs, it clearly shows on the pitch how poor we are atm, question is how long will fans shell out year on year on passes/merchandise to watch poor rugby?

BP1
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach992
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB17.gif
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011. Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony. I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar. Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.:cartoons/WB17.gif

Crikey Wilf, how long did it take you to compose that epic!! You must have spent all day and half the night putting that together!!, and that's coming from someone who can also go on a bit given half a chance!!

Agree with every one of the sentiments expressed, and with all the replies since.

I think we can split the situation into two halves really, on-field issues as one problem, with associated questions regarding how the club is run/financed forming the wider concern.

Taking our current shortcomings on the field first, it's obviously not going to be a quick fix, I think we've all worked that out already!
The club needs to take a medium/long term view to this. We need someone (T. Smith) to lay down a coherent plan for the club to pursue.
This will necessitate:
1: What style of rugby are we aiming for?
2: What type of team is required in order to achieve the style of rugby we are aiming for?
3: What type of player do we need who fit the profile for the team we are attempting to build?
4: Out of the current squad, who fits this profile, who doesn't, who needs to be moved on?
5: Identify compatible players when it comes to future recruitment, both in terms of first-choice quality and as strong reliable squad back-ups?

This needs to be set out by an experienced Director of rugby - Head of recruitment. I'm of the opinion that this is the role best suited for Tony Smith, and that it may be better for the club for him to assume these responsibilities (for the direction of travel) with a younger coach taking over the day to running of the first team squad.
Obviously, both men would need to be looking in the same direction, with a shared vision of where we are heading and how we aiming to get there, and be able to work in tandem with each aware of their own parameters.

However, all this ties into the wider issue of how the club is ran and, more pertinently, how it is financed.
As Mrs Barista pointed out earlier, none of us have any real idea of this aspect of operations. Everything we think we hear and know is really a combination of rumour and/or supposition with little in the way of knowledge.
Even so, it's difficult to get away from the feeling that a lack of funding and investment is currently severely hampering any ambition we have. As others have pointed out, the idea that, in 2024, we are spending at full salary cap having assembled this squad simply doesn't add up. If we are then, quite frankly, a raft of bottom-four players are earning top-four salaries, which can't be correct, surely!!

I agree with those posters who've opined that, due to the fact the threat of relegation has been removed, Adam is running the club at a reduced rate in order to clear some extensive debt. But this runs the risk of storing up problems further down the line. What the SL/RFL do one of their customary u-turns in two years time and suddenly put relegation back on the table, and we suddenly find ourselves facing the very real threat of 2nd division rugby, and quite possibly extinction as a club?

I do think the root of the current malaise is the lack of substantial investment (along with confusion about what type of team we would like to build). Like others on here, I've heard rumours that Pearson is something of a control freak and he has a habit of interfering, seemingly unable to appoint people and give them rein to do the job they've been employed for. It's an image which has tended to follow him around during his sporting involvement (Hull City, Leeds Utd), but unless any of us actually work for him, we've no way of knowing or confirming.

So, to sum up, we're in a hole, a big hole of our own making. There's no quick fix, it's not going to happen overnight that's for sure. Adam probably needs to acquire investment from somewhere, whether he would be prepared to relinquish some degree of control only he knows, and we need to ally that to a coherent vision designed to give us a team we can all be proud of once again. Failure to do so could result in a permanent dislocation between fanbase and club.

This is the worst I have felt about our immediate prospects since the late 90s David Lloyd era (the 2024 squad is the weakest we've seen since 1999 in my opinion). The club very nearly lost it's core fanbase then and It's becoming impossible to ignore/resist the gloom which is threatening to envelope the Faithful just 80 minutes into the new season. The passive acceptance of an inevitable derby defeat before it had even kicked off was a shocking indictment of how mired in the dark we all feel. For almost the first time in the 50 years I've been following the club, through so many ups and downs, I am truly struggling to detect even the merest hint of optimism for what lies ahead.

I'm not, by nature, a pessimist (nor simply a blind eyed optimist), but a less than 48 hours after a new season started It's difficult to see anything other than hardship and despondency ahead of us in the coming months.
Keep the faith is all we can do really, that and pray. Alternately do what my mate did on Thursday night and have so much to drink that I seriously don't think he was even aware of who we were playing (or even what sport was taking place) by the time the end finally arrived!!!

93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
93 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.69189453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Nathan Mason
Wigan Bull
Recent
Half Time Report
Spookisback
Recent
Shopping list for 2025
al283
Recent
2025 Recruitment
Rafa9
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Rumours and signings v9
The Biffs Ba
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Trebor1
1m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
fanstanningl
2m
2025 Recruitment
Rafa9
3m
Halifax v Whitehaven
terry silver
3m
Super League form rewarded as Wane names squad to travel to Toulouse
Mark_P1973
5m
Jayden Okunbor
tommyfromhul
5m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
6m
Barrow
financialtim
7m
Half Time Report
Spookisback
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Nathan Mason
Wigan Bull
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Home
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Half Time Report
Spookisback
TODAY
Dewsbury v Dons Sunday 7/7/24 3pm
Wanderer
TODAY
Our next 2 meetings
H.G.S.A
TODAY
Lee Briers
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Wakefield Trinity Register Thirteenth Win Of The Season With Victory Over Barrow
RLFANS News
TODAY
Academy Origin
B0NES
TODAY
Catalan Away
B0NES
TODAY
Englands Youngsters Beat France With Ease Despite Early Scare
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves v London