JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I am a Wire fan & i don't have sky sports or films or anything like ,just sports mix included in my package. When you look at sky's exclusive coverage ,they have actually marginalised rugby league & we could do with at least some free to air coverage ,probably Championship downwards ,to try & spread the game to a wider audience. Rugby Union has about 4 different fta tv companies showing different competitions.
Look at the sponsorship in RU ,they are mostly blue chip companies the heads of which probably went to school with the top RU bods ,whereas we have flat cap sponsorship.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4754
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2418.jpg
:2418.jpg

Quote: ninearches "I am a Wire fan & i don't have sky sports or films or anything like ,just sports mix included in my package. When you look at sky's exclusive coverage ,they have actually marginalised rugby league & we could do with at least some free to air coverage ,probably Championship downwards ,to try & spread the game to a wider audience. Rugby Union has about 4 different fta tv companies showing different competitions.
Look at the sponsorship in RU ,they are mostly blue chip companies the heads of which probably went to school with the top RU bods ,whereas we have flat cap sponsorship.'"

The Championship would be a great comp for free to air TV.
There are some really decent teams in there, and the style of rugby is less rigid and predictable than Super League.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain826No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I do think the sport had more skill and flair when it was part time,but having said that I would still much rather watch rl than ru[ an upperclass sport that would be laughed at if it was the working class version of rugby] or football which ive never seen a game since the 70s.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12637
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: ninearches "I am a Wire fan & i don't have sky sports or films or anything like ,just sports mix included in my package. When you look at sky's exclusive coverage ,they have actually marginalised rugby league & we could do with at least some free to air coverage ,probably Championship downwards ,to try & spread the game to a wider audience. Rugby Union has about 4 different fta tv companies showing different competitions.
Look at the sponsorship in RU ,they are mostly blue chip companies the heads of which probably went to school with the top RU bods ,whereas we have flat cap sponsorship.'"

Are any of those fta RU deals for competitions below the top tier? That I don’t know is maybe a sign that my awareness hasn’t been raised much.

Covering sports events isn’t cheap for traditional broadcasters, so they would need to know there is an audience, even if the rights were more or less given away. Streaming seems to be the way things are going for niche markets. And as audiences fragment, perhaps nearly all audiences will be niche.

Fta stuff, to create interest has to be big ticket imo. Test Matches, World Cups, finals. Pretty much as it is in fairness.

If we’re blaming poor management and oversight (and goodness knows there has been some of that), how much better a state should RL be in? Realistically and bearing in mind the sport’s history? When was the golden age (if you think it coincides with a glorious era for your own club, or your own youth maybe that is why, btw)?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12637
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Irregular Hoops "The Championship would be a great comp for free to air TV.
There are some really decent teams in there, and the style of rugby is less rigid and predictable than Super League.'"

Who would be the target audience?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5486
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Tbh the impression i have always had is that the inter war years & 50s were the big times for RL when big gates were regular features.
As for Union ,since they turned professional & reduced the need for Welshmen to turn pro they have deprived us of what used to be one of our best sources of good talent. Their game suddenly became awash with money & sponsorship to be able to spread far & wide with a European league & worldwide interest in the sport.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17196
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

Quote: Mrs Barista "Agree with most of that, although Catalans do still have something to play for. I do think we suffer from the fact that 3 of the 4 the dominant forces are all within spitting distance of each other and there is no real prospect of this changing. I do wonder as well whether the fanbase is ageing and that presents a risk that the sport will die out, would be interested to see the stats on this. The KCOM is a great facility but simply too big for us, and, derbies like Good Friday this year apart, the atmosphere is poor.'"

At the KCOM we don't seem to have too bad with the aging fan base, i've sat in the same place since it opened and a few around us are sadly no longer with us, but most of their families have brought a younger child along so overall we seem to be replenishing the fanbase. Cup wins in 2005, 2016 & 2017 have helped boost the support. But we do seem to have hit a brick wall of about 8k passes and 1-2k pay on the day fans, when Pearson has stated several times he wanted 10k passes and 14k total crowds.

Scheduling of fixtures haven't helped us this year though, games moved to Thursdays at last minute, playing Wakefield twice at home in a month, and I can't get excited over loop fixtures. I saw Saints trample all over us at the KCOM only the other week, not excited to see it again in a couple of weeks time. Would have rather have seen us play Toronto, Bradford, Widnes, Toulouse etc even if it meant a bit less SKY money.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29774No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: UllFC "At the KCOM we don't seem to have too bad with the aging fan base, i've sat in the same place since it opened and a few around us are sadly no longer with us, but most of their families have brought a younger child along so overall we seem to be replenishing the fanbase. Cup wins in 2005, 2016 & 2017 have helped boost the support. But we do seem to have hit a brick wall of about 8k passes and 1-2k pay on the day fans, when Pearson has stated several times he wanted 10k passes and 14k total crowds.

Scheduling of fixtures haven't helped us this year though, games moved to Thursdays at last minute, playing Wakefield twice at home in a month, and I can't get excited over loop fixtures. I saw Saints trample all over us at the KCOM only the other week, not excited to see it again in a couple of weeks time. Would have rather have seen us play Toronto, Bradford, Widnes, Toulouse etc even if it meant a bit less SKY money.'"

Agree that a bit of success has helped us, and good that you're seeing younger fans too - the club does a good job in this regard with family days, takeovers etc. Agree on the loop - it does get dull against the same sides.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7351No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19461_1425327910.gif
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19461.gif

Quote: Chris71 "Same here but be careful expressing your thoughts otherwise the self proclaimed thought Police will be questioning you.

I’m actually finding it more difficult to enjoy going these days and question if it’s worth the money and disappointment.
The sport as a whole just seems to be dying on its booty and becoming less recognisable of the sport I loved playing and watching.'"

I don't think that you should worry too much about what some say because from what I hear a lot of folks are cheesed off with the game at present and a not enjoying the game as much any more. I went to direct debit recently just so the pain is spread over 12 months because I wasn't sure whether, with my current feelings I could bring myself to shell out £500 in November as I usually do. I certainly feel disenchanted with it at present but I guess our situation and demeanour as a team doesn't help either.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17196
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

Quote: ninearches "Tbh the impression i have always had is that the inter war years & 50s were the big times for RL when big gates were regular features.
As for Union ,since they turned professional & reduced the need for Welshmen to turn pro they have deprived us of what used to be one of our best sources of good talent. Their game suddenly became awash with money & sponsorship to be able to spread far & wide with a European league & worldwide interest in the sport.'"

Union are simply better managed. RL could have built its own National Stadium (Odsal in its heyday probably the best spot) RL could have built up its own '6 Nations' instead they focused on the club game and got it all wrong. International RL has improved again the last few years, but it's all a bit too little too late.

RU are also a lot better at involving their community clubs, often they have them selling tickets to big events for commision, and some even international RU games have a community feel with picnics in the carpark etc, RL has instead cast its smaller clubs to one side, and then expects the fans of those clubs to still come to Magic Weekend, Challenge Cup Final, Grand Final and England games.

RL often has decent ideas but it doesn't stick enough money in or we don't give things enough time. For example The Exiles games weren't a bad idea as such (and RU get much coverage and revenue from the similar Barbarians) but after one or two poor crowds for games held midweek and promoted little (and at a time the profile of overseas imports had temporarily dipped) the whole idea was binned. We've also had new SL structures and rules about every other season, the casual fan has lost interest in keeping up with what the actual format is.

Hindsight is a great thing: but instead of focusing on mergers when SL started which caused a lot of controversy as it just isn't British sporting culture. They could have simply picked the biggest team out of the proposed merger and focused on them. Instead of starting with places like Workington, Oldham & Paris which were either not interested or just too small. We should have been focusing on the big northern cities Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds & Newcastle. If we wanted a French team they should have gone with the South Of France where the game is strong from the off.

Instead we haven't won the big cities (Leeds aside) and the small towns and cities have shrunk in power, population and interest in RL. Sponsors aren't interested in paying to sponsor teams that have small, low income followings. Our own clubs sponsors have got smaller and smaller this decade, 10 years ago we were getting P&O, Tetleys, KCOM, all stock market companies, now its local building firms. Fortunately our loyal fanbase still brings the cash in through the turnstiles and the shops, but people are starting to get bored.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12637
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png

In the 1969 documentary that I mentioned, there is this line:

‘In England, rugby league never left its cradle. It still lies landlocked in three northern counties.’

Is comparing a sport with regional base with one with a national reach, fair? We could blame our grandfathers’ and great-grandfathers’ generations for failing to spread the word further in the UK, but they were up against significant establishment resistance from RU and the most popular sport in the world in soccer.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach4525
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13619.gif
:13619.gif

Quote: Mild Rover "In the 1969 documentary that I mentioned, there is this line
It's interesting that we consider RU a national sport. North of Leicester Tigers I think there is only Sale and Newcastle in the top division (I could be wrong not being up on my RU) but there are club sides throughout the country. Maybe instead of concentrating on SL the RFL should have put more support into grass roots rugby.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29774No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mrs Barista "although Catalans do still have something to play for.'"

Looks all over for them now.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66802_1403264854.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66802.jpg

NFL season starts next week. I'm more excited for that than anything still to come in Super League this year (playoffs, grand final, relegation battle).

RankPostsTeam
International Star7722No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: UllFC "At the KCOM we don't seem to have too bad with the aging fan base, i've sat in the same place since it opened and a few around us are sadly no longer with us, but most of their families have brought a younger child along so overall we seem to be replenishing the fanbase. Cup wins in 2005, 2016 & 2017 have helped boost the support. But we do seem to have hit a brick wall of about 8k passes and 1-2k pay on the day fans, when Pearson has stated several times he wanted 10k passes and 14k total crowds.

Scheduling of fixtures haven't helped us this year though, games moved to Thursdays at last minute, playing Wakefield twice at home in a month, and I can't get excited over loop fixtures. I saw Saints trample all over us at the KCOM only the other week, not excited to see it again in a couple of weeks time. Would have rather have seen us play Toronto, Bradford, Widnes, Toulouse etc even if it meant a bit less SKY money.'"

We have to get back to all UK Super League clubs playing on a Sunday with one live TV match ko 18.00
Its the only way we will get more fans back into stadiums instead of sitting on their bums watching TV

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.24462890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
mwindass
14m
Squad 2024
Brew
16m