FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Hull FC > In Any Kind Of Weather?
66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
BP1
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1056
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
cartoons/WB17.gif
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011. Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony. I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar. Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.:cartoons/WB17.gif

Quote: UllFC "I will be renewing next season, but I can't deny that my interest has significantly waned in recent seasons.

I'm prepared to put up with the 'lows' I sat/stood through the late 90s for example, but back then there was a reason we were rubbish, we coulden't afford it. Playing in a clapped out ground, to average gates with few other revenue streams. The move to the KC changed all that, and after a slightly jittery start in 2003...until the end of 2007 we delivered. HullFC were back at the top end of the game.

the board controversially sacked Kear, but despite a few complaints from fans, at the time most trusted and had faith in their decision. Their decision paid off and Sharp improved the side and took us to our first Grand Final.

then the wheels came off.

the Cooke saga shattered the boards reputation IMO and further scandals such as Thackray playing in the cup further damaged the reputation. Aside from a few good moments (the end to 2007 was good, as was the run to the 2008 CC final and gutsy performance in the final) its been a gradual decline back to being also-rans.

We are now in a position where the board are happy to just let the club 'tick-over' so long as it makes the top8 and the tills keep ringing then that's it for the season and the hype starts again for the next season. The rugby is boring, and we seldom win the 'big' games of importance anymore.

after decades of financial incompetence at HullFC, I am of course delighted that the club turns in a profit, and is ran well in a business manner. But sadly that does not excite the fans on the terraces, and with no relegation in SL...a season plodding around in mid-table is very dull.

the optimists would say 'ah, but we nearly made the top4 last year' but ultimately we didn't

1st class post eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

I've supported the club for many many years (1st game 196icon_cool.gif and have seen some dreadful lows, specifically the mid 70's and late 90's when the club very nearly went out of existence. As you point out there was mitigating circumstances which accounted for the team's poor performance in those eras, namely the appalling financial strait which the club found itself in.

At least the current board have removed that fear from supporters hearts. But,as you rightly say, when watching the team today, it's difficult to get away from the feeling that we are selling ourselves badly short. We are a heavyweight who punch like a welterweight. The worst part of this is the fact that we manoeuvered ourselves into a position of challenging for the game's major honours on a consistent and regular basis (2004-06) only to throw that advantage away in a welter of bad decision making (both on and off the field).

I will still be there next season, "In any kind of weather" as, like most on here, Hull Fc is in my blood (thank you Daddy). I will support the club until the day I die because I still love the game and everything that surrounds it. The banter around the ground, meeting up with my mates, the communal feeling that we only really get these days at sporting events. But that enjoyment has during the last few years been counterbalanced by an increasing sense of frustration at our inability to transfer our undoubted off field success into a tangible equivilent on the field.

We need a leap of vision and imagination to lift the team from mid-table mediocrity and into the game's true elite which is where a club of our size and standing should be. A top four finish should be the minimum of our ambition, not some holy grail merely to be dreamt of. I hate to keep banging on about this (as I have done in various other threads) but in order to achieve the lofty goals which our superb supporters should witness, we need some major surgery on the playing side of the club. The squad, as it currently stands, simply isn't up to the task in hand. As for the coach, I'm baffled as to how anyone can believe he is the one to take us to the summit. He's a decent guy no doubt, but he lacks that X-factor quality that raises players & teams to play at a level previously beyond them. And until someone at the club realises this and changes the whole culture within the team then we will continue to walk straight into a dead end marked nowhere.

I have no expectations for 2011. I have a nagging feeling it's going to be more of the same. The odd game where we look capable to be followed immediately by a performance of shocking ineptitude. I've decided to take next season week by week. If we win (hooray and I'll enjoy the week ahead). If we lose. I'll merely shrug my shoulders and move on to the next game. But. long term, I feel we are going round in ever decreasing circles.

Whatever next year may bring, I will be there, supporting my team "In any kind of weather" because it is in my lifeblood. Passed down from Grandfather to Father to me. There is no escaping it, no running away from it, no matter how much you would like to. It's a part of all our lives and I'm sure all our lives would be considerably duller without it (the highs and the lows).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Have to agree with just about all the sentiments on here. The problem - for me - is the lack of elite experience on the non-playing side of the club. They genuinely believe that they know what it takes to reach the top of the game but they have no idea, because they've never really experienced it. Specifically, I refer to Richard Agar, James rule and Kath Hetherington who have absolutely no experience at any level of any signficance.

Kath has been around the game for years but has only ever been directly associated with the likes of Sheffield, Gateshead, and Bramley before us (all three of which went bust soon after!). Many people talk about her knowledge of the game which cannot be denied but its a parochial out of date knowledge and totally out of touch with the fast changing modern game.

In the modern game, the value of a coach / CEO / chairman is not who they bring in as a marquee signing (anyone can sign a big name if they're prepared to offer contracts that are either longer or more lucrative than anyone else); the true worth of the club's leaders comes in who they can squeeze in under the salary cap. Hungry players desperate to perform or blokes that have lost their way but can be turned around under good coaching. They're the sort that can turn a team around and - arguably - we've not really brought anyone in that fits that description under the current regime. Harsh? maybe, but even the likes of Tansey and Turner who started so well last year seemed to have lost their way completely by the end of the year.

Rumblings from within the camp suggest that one of our aussie marquee signings is less than impressed by the general lack of ambition within the current set up and he won't be taking up his third year option for 2012.

It should be no surprise. Why is agar still in charge? It can only be because it makes life much easier for Kath and Rule. Agar and Webster lack the experience to challenge them and are happy to plod along doing their best but, really, paddling frantically to stay afloat.

Martin Sadler in the League Express reported last week that since SL began, the title had been won five times by someone in their first season as a head coach (such as McGuire) and three times by someone in their first season coaching that club (such as McLennan) so the whole notion of Agar being a 'rookie coach' and 'not having his own team' was just a load of bull - he's got more experience than some of his peers, its just experience of mediocrity and he's just not good enough. Rule and Hetherington have kept him in position; they also appointed Peter Sharp. Once Agar gets the bullet (as I firmly believe he will before mid-season next year) then can we really trust them to make the right decision next time around?

The pendulum is swinging back to the Aussies once again; British coaches are well down the pecking order - overtaken by the new ideas coming from Smith, Brown and McGuire. Look at how many of the England squad come from Wigan, Warrington and Huddersfield. Our determination to stick with an English coach is not even admirable any more - its just stupid

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29771No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Ian Weather " Rumblings from within the camp suggest that one of our aussie marquee signings is less than impressed by the general lack of ambition within the current set up and he won't be taking up his third year option for 2012. '"

Blimey, so O'Meley's had enough already. Maybe he'll be joining his buddy Mason at Rovers.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: UllFC "We are now in a position where the board are happy to just let the club 'tick-over' so long as it makes the top8 and the tills keep ringing then that's it for the season'"

Really? How do you know this to be a fact?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17151No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9243.jpg
:9243.jpg

Quote: Kosh "Really? How do you know this to be a fact?'"

it isn't fact, it is opinion, where did I state it was a fact?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach30148
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32641_1503834456.jpg
The poor man's bonaire:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32641.jpg

Quote: Ian Weather "Have to agree with just about all the sentiments on here. The problem - for me - is the lack of elite experience on the non-playing side of the club. They genuinely believe that they know what it takes to reach the top of the game but they have no idea, because they've never really experienced it. Specifically, I refer to Richard Agar, James rule and Kath Hetherington who have absolutely no experience at any level of any signficance.

Kath has been around the game for years but has only ever been directly associated with the likes of Sheffield, Gateshead, and Bramley before us (all three of which went bust soon after!). Many people talk about her knowledge of the game which cannot be denied but its a parochial out of date knowledge and totally out of touch with the fast changing modern game.

In the modern game, the value of a coach / CEO / chairman is not who they bring in as a marquee signing (anyone can sign a big name if they're prepared to offer contracts that are either longer or more lucrative than anyone else); the true worth of the club's leaders comes in who they can squeeze in under the salary cap. Hungry players desperate to perform or blokes that have lost their way but can be turned around under good coaching. They're the sort that can turn a team around and - arguably - we've not really brought anyone in that fits that description under the current regime. Harsh? maybe, but even the likes of Tansey and Turner who started so well last year seemed to have lost their way completely by the end of the year.

Rumblings from within the camp suggest that one of our aussie marquee signings is less than impressed by the general lack of ambition within the current set up and he won't be taking up his third year option for 2012.

It should be no surprise. Why is agar still in charge? It can only be because it makes life much easier for Kath and Rule. Agar and Webster lack the experience to challenge them and are happy to plod along doing their best but, really, paddling frantically to stay afloat.

Martin Sadler in the League Express reported last week that since SL began, the title had been won five times by someone in their first season as a head coach (such as McGuire) and three times by someone in their first season coaching that club (such as McLennan) so the whole notion of Agar being a 'rookie coach' and 'not having his own team' was just a load of bull - he's got more experience than some of his peers, its just experience of mediocrity and he's just not good enough. Rule and Hetherington have kept him in position; they also appointed Peter Sharp. Once Agar gets the bullet (as I firmly believe he will before mid-season next year) then can we really trust them to make the right decision next time around?

The pendulum is swinging back to the Aussies once again; British coaches are well down the pecking order - overtaken by the new ideas coming from Smith, Brown and McGuire. Look at how many of the England squad come from Wigan, Warrington and Huddersfield. Our determination to stick with an English coach is not even admirable any more - its just stupid'"

What a great post. Sums up the club perfectly.

agar learnt his trade playing under coaches in the 2nd tier of the game and playing 2nd fiddle to 2 failed coaches at Hull. How the hell can we expect any more from him than we get?

Your comments about the type of player we bring in shows how good mcrae was (and still is) in this area. The type of coach we need won't come to Hull and work in the environment we expect the coach to work in. IMO we need an experienced DOR and an up and coming aussie coach to work under him. rule may be good at the business side of things so let him concentrate on that and bring in someone to run the rugby side

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Quote: UllFC "it isn't fact, it is opinion, where did I state it was a fact?'"

Read it again. Where do you indicate anything else? It's a flat statement without any indication of the possibility of the situation being other than as stated.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach17No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Dec 2010LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Well said! In any kind of weather .... unless its cold or the team is losing .... in which case.....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach317No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47244_1263453596.jpeg
[color=#FF0000][b]L[/b][/color] Anyone wanting Driving Lessons,Fully Qualified ADI Ring 07754661102 [color=#FF0000]L[/color]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47244.jpeg

Been a passholder for years and years and Might buy one this year,I say might ,because until I see some semblance of ambition at the club why bother.People say about us missing out on top 4 by 10 mins and finishing 6th,Rubbish !!! we missed out on top 4 and possibly higher by totally inept displays at places such as Wakey,Salford,Wrexham and Murreyfield,also not being able to score points when the position presented itself,
We need new signings,what are we getting,Probably Dowsey for another year [Cheaper}same applies to Radford,Also our front line Halfbacks HOPE they dont get injured again,Missed a few games last season due to Festivals and stuff but didnt miss many away games,think my Pass money could be better invested in my Glasto ticket.
Things will probably change and I will probably end up buying a pass as always,but I must say I have never felt so non plussed about a new season for years !!!!

icon_biggrin.gifEPRESSED:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach152No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

In 51 met my future husband ,I was a Tigers supporter he a Hull f.c. we went to the Boulrvard one week and Boothferry park the next week but he soon knocked me into shape so it was bye bye soccer, and we are still supporting the mighty Black and Whites yes we have seen some rubbish and some great games but you love the game so much you take the good with the bad just like marrige

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner22063
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7078_1361913407.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7078.jpg

Quote: jampot "In 51 met my future husband ,I was a Tigers supporter he a Hull f.c. we went to the Boulrvard one week and Boothferry park the next week but he soon knocked me into shape so it was bye bye soccer, and we are still supporting the mighty Black and Whites yes we have seen some rubbish and some great games but you love the game so much you take the good with the bad just like marrige'"

Absolutely.

All these histrionics we read every year from the drama queens saying they aren't going any more are boring.

You take the rough with the smooth, that is what sport is about. I bet at Cardiff in 2005 out of the 25,000 Hull supporters there that the people who enjoyed it the most were those who stuck by the club during those dark days in 1999.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach29771No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ComeOnYouUll "Absolutely.

All these histrionics we read every year from the drama queens saying they aren't going any more are boring.

You take the rough with the smooth, that is what sport is about. I bet at Cardiff in 2005 out of the 25,000 Hull supporters there that the people who enjoyed it the most were those who stuck by the club during those dark days in 1999.'"

Too fecking right. My absolutely favourite piece of wisdom is "The deeper sorrow carves into your soul, the more joy it can contain". Life (and in a smaller way, sport) is entirely about ups and downs and is nothing without contrast. Anyone would think we were on brink of relegation or administration. Part of us continuing going is precisely what you have described, for sure the highs are sweeter for experiencing the lows.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner22063
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7078_1361913407.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7078.jpg

Quote: Mrs Barista "Too fecking right. My absolutely favourite piece of wisdom is "The deeper sorrow carves into your soul, the more joy it can contain". Life (and in a smaller way, sport) is entirely about ups and downs and is nothing without contrast. Anyone would think we were on brink of relegation or administration. Part of us continuing going is precisely what you have described, for sure the highs are sweeter for experiencing the lows.'"

Wow, philosophy on RLFans icon_lol.gif

Great quote, Mrs B and very true, of course.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10670No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

followed fc since 78-79 when we went unbeaten,ive never once thought about not following them,ive seen the good times and bad,good coaches and bad coaches,since we have been at the stadium ive had a pass and the same seat and that aint gunna change,id never call people if they choose not to go thats there choice,money is tight these days and if people arent happy then its there call.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7355
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39176.jpg
:39176.jpg

Quote: wolfie "followed fc since 78-79 when we went unbeaten,ive never once thought about not following them,ive seen the good times and bad,good coaches and bad coaches,since we have been at the stadium ive had a pass and the same seat and that aint gunna change,id never call people if they choose not to go thats there choice,money is tight these days and if people arent happy then its there call.'"

My sentiments exactly (apart from the time bit, its about 93-94 for me, when I was 4-5 myself).

66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
66 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4794921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Jake the Peg
5m
York City Knights home
altofts wild
12m