Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7078_1361913407.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7078.jpg

Full details f------ s---”. He began to head towards the tunnel when he then turned back towards myself and said “f------- cheat”. I then upgraded the card from yellow to red.

The Panel believe your actions were unnecessary and are against the true spirit of the game.

In accordance with the RFL’s On Field Sentencing Guidelines, the Panel consider that such offence is a Grade F offence – Questioning the integrity of a Match Official

The normal suspension range for such offence is 6 matches plus.

• The Match Review Panel were concerned at the behaviour of Mr Griffin.

• Mr Griffin was firstly sin binned and then red carded following the incident.

• The referee’s report states the following f------ s---”. He began to head towards the tunnel when he then turned back towards myself and said, “f------ cheat”. I then upgraded the card from yellow to red.

• The Match Review Panel see no reason to disbelieve the referee.

• The footage supports that there is clear interaction between both Mr Kendall and Mr Griffin, and this is initiated by the player.

• Mr Kendall is clear that he says he witnesses Mr Griffin state these words.

• This amounts to abusive behaviour towards the referee and questioning his integrity.

• The Panel believed that Mr Griffin’s actions were unnecessary, against the true spirit of the game and brings the game into disrepute.

• Under 1.2 of the On Field Sentencing Guidelines it states that the disciplinary system must support and protect Match Officials.

• Mr Griffin’s standards have fallen below what is expected of a player and amount to Misconduct.

- Grade F due to:
? Questioning the integrity of a referee.
? Repeated foul and abusive language towards referee.
? Brings sport into disrepute.
Summary of Player's submissions on the Charge / evidence:

Player in attendance alongside James Clark (JC, Hull FC CEO). Player pleads guilty to using offensive language towards the Referee, but not questioning his integrity.

Both the Compliance Manager and JC were invited to cross examine Chris Kendall (Referee) who joined the hearing as a witness. Adam Swift and Davy Litten (teammates of JG) were also called to give evidence.

JG did not deny exchanging words with CK, however, he was adamant that the words that he had been charged of using were not correct.

JG explained he approached CK after the half-time hooter had gone to speak to him about a penalty that had just been given for a ball steal, saying “Sir, how can you give that as a ball steal?”

He then admitted to saying “f------ s--- call” and walked away towards the changing rooms. He was then called back by CK and shown a yellow card. Annoyed by the situation he walked away and as doing so said “f--- sake, can’t talk to the arrogant prick.”

CK then called out to him and again and gave him a red card. JG walked off and said “f--- that” as he was frustrated with himself.

JC explained it was the final year of JG’s contract and the consequences of the charge were very high. He believed that there was not enough evidence to prove that CK was called a “cheat.”

JG told the Tribunal he was embarrassed by the charge and it was something he had to live with. It was an intense game and could be the last chance for him to win the Challenge Cup. There was a lot of raw emotion and he also felt he had let his teammates down. He had faced criticism following the incident and was remorseful for how things had turned out. He felt that his emotions had clouded his judgement.

Decision:

Guilty
Reasons for Decision:

This is a very serious incident and they adopt the seriousness of events as put forward by the Compliance Manager. The Referee proved to be a credible witness when questioned and he was sure the words were said by the player. The Tribunal deemed JG not to be credible witness.
Decision On Sanction (where found to have committed Misconduct)
Summary of CM's submissions on the appropriate sanction:

• Continuous foul abusive behaviour towards a Referee
• Comments abusive of performance and questions integrity
• Comments not made in the heat of the moment as the penalty was given before the half-time hooter and the player had time to calm down
• A breach of the RESPECT Policy
• Brings the game into disrepute
• Potential to affect recruitment and retention of Referees in the sport
Summary of Player's submissions on the appropriate sanction:

JC said he respected the Tribunal’s decision. He added that JG was out of contract at the end of the season and with just 12 games remaining a suspension as large as has been suggested by the Compliance Manager would not leave much of the season remaining.

JC felt that a lower suspension would be more appropriate and also asked if the Tribunal would consider going outside the grading in this instance.
Reasons for Decision:

The Tribunal agree with the grading at Grade F and they have taken into account the players previous similar charge earlier this season as well as his denial to the words used.
Suspension:

7 matches

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12346
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11987_1319451684.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11987.jpg

Griffins version is out now . Also Clark says it's Griffins last year of his contract .

RankPostsTeam
International Star4725No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66802_1403264854.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66802.jpg

So reading that, there isn't actually a single bit of audio evidence of what was said?
Which would mean Griffin has been banned for 7 games based on something Kendall has 'POTENTIALLY' misheard of even made up.
Granted if Griffin's version is true it should still be worth a couple of games. But if there is no categorical proof he used the word cheat then 7 matches is a joke.

"The match review panel see no reason to disbelieve the referee".... what, not even a history of getting this exact type of thing wrong?

RankPostsTeam
Academy Player718No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I will need to watch the footage again but don’t recall Griffin turning back to Kendall after he showed the yellow card? Kendall claims he turned back and called him a “f————ng cheat “. From memory Griffin walked off and was called back by Kendall?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner22063
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7078_1361913407.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7078.jpg

Here's the clip

rlhttps://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1670075220474970118?s

RankPostsTeam
International Star294
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71344_1379964163.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71344.jpg

Quote: ComeOnYouUll "Here's the clip

rlhttps://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1670075220474970118?s'"

Not sure you can see a lot from that clip... the 1/2 time reviews showed more angles iirc

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3669
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/Sid.gif
I have lost interest:fonds blancs/Sid.gif

Griffin has been 4/10 for FC since signing
he’s 33
he’s a liability
why sign this guy for any longer ?

get a 23 year old ambitious kid from
the Championship

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8112
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8082_1359018606.jpg
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8082.jpg

So basically very little evidence only that Kendal was sure.
Seems like a stitch up to me to give Griffin 7.5 games when there is no evidence to corroborate what was said or even claimed to have been said.
So in essence Kendal says it happened and that’s the gospel according the panel as for saying Kendals was a credible witness when he has form for mishearing previously as per Bateman.

Be interesting to know what Swifty & Litten as witnesses said and what witness Kendal had.

I’d say whichever version was said it’s certainly an accurate description of Kendal.

No wonder fans think the game and officials are bent.

Something just doesn’t feel right about Kendals version when you watch all the coverage of the interaction.

As that’s the official outcome I’m disappointed the club aren’t appealing the severity of the charge and subsequent punishment with the apparent lack of evidence to support either sides version.

Forceful Spear tackle with high risk of serious injury, causing paralysis or broken neck 6 game ban.
Possibly say something about the referees integrity but no one on the panel can be certain equates to a 7 game ban.

Now tell me who the RFL care about as it certainly isn’t about player safety. No doubt the lawyers looking in to this on behalf of the players bringing the courts case will seize in this.

What a lovin joke.

RankPostsTeam
International Star7694No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Chris71 "So basically very little evidence only that Kendal was sure.
Seems like a stitch up to me to give Griffin 7.5 games when there is no evidence to corroborate what was said or even claimed to have been said.
So in essence Kendal says it happened and that’s the gospel according the panel as for saying Kendals was a credible witness when he has form for mishearing previously as per Bateman.

Be interesting to know what Swifty & Litten as witnesses said and what witness Kendal had.

I’d say whichever version was said it’s certainly an accurate description of Kendal.

Something just doesn’t feel right about Kendals version when you watch all the coverage of the interaction.

As that’s the official outcome I’m disappointed the club aren’t appealing the severity of the charge and subsequent punishment with the apparent lack of evidence to support either sides version.

Forceful Spear tackle with high risk of serious injury, causing paralysis or broken neck 6 game ban.
Possibly say something about the referees integrity but no one on the panel can be certain equates to a 7 game ban.

Now tell me who the RFL care about as it certainly isn’t about player safety. No doubt the lawyers looking in to this on behalf of the players bringing the courts case will seize in this.

What a lovin joke.'"

If Kendalls version doesnt sit right
what about Griffins version Sir, how can you give that as a ball steal?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1410No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
66735_1606413614.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_66735.jpg

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8991
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47035_1386433761.gif
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_47035.gif

Quote: Chris71 "So basically very little evidence only that Kendal was sure.

What a lovin joke.'"

The bigger joke was that to prevent all this was all Griffin needed to do was shut the ferkin up.

It was a nothing penalty with no consequences.

The hooter had gone and there was no reason to be so out of control.

Even at the point of getting a yellow he could have stepped back.

Griffin manufactured the whole incident and just had a full on brain explosion.

I've never seen a player so wound up with a decision of so little consequence after the hooter.

Its not like it was after a fight or a controversial try. It was a nothing decision and Griffin just needed to follow the basics of all rugby and don't question the ref.

As fans we can call the ref, as club officials they can question decisions post match. Players can't and doing over so little just was something I've never seen before and doubt I'll ever see again.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2329
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53009_1317154093.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53009.jpg

Quote: bewareshadows "It was a nothing penalty with no consequences.'"

I think Griffins main problem will have been yes it was a nothing penalty with no consequences but when they’re constantly given + things being penalised that straight up never happened they start to add up. When you’re feeling hard done too & penalised out of the game frustrations boil over.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator8112
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
8082_1359018606.jpg
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_8082.jpg

Quote: bonaire "If Kendalls version doesnt sit right
what about Griffins version Sir, how can you give that as a ball steal?'"

Like I said both versions differ and with what appears to be no evidence to corroborate either side I don’t see how they can prove either way any version.

I think Griffin was daft to have carried it on however I still question the speed at which the red card came out whilst he was walking away. I don’t doubt things were said but watching the footage I’m not sure Kendals version is wholly correct either.

An official should be able to de escalate situations like this one when players are clearly frustrated but Kendal almost escalated it.

As for a nothing decision with no cost he argued over, I think it’s was just the number of decisions that seemed to be in St’s favour with penalties & 6 agains etc in the first half that culminated in Griffin questioning Kendal. To be honest I even thought the call of ball steal was harsh as you can see Hurrell pull away and then let go of the ball, which is another tactic of conning the ref that's crept in.

With no evidence other than the word of someone who himself has previous I find it difficult the panel can warrant both a grade F charge or a 7 game ban for what is nothing more than hear say.

I'm not going to crucify Griffin for showing some passion as we've been asking players to do that for the last 4+ seasons and he was probably feeling exactly how we all felt watching it. I'm not defending him either for the way in which he questioned but understand his frustration, I am just dubious of a serious charge and punishment simply on the word of one person saying they heard, the same with the second ban handed to McGuire.
Yes Griffin has previously had a yellow for giving Moore some back chat but that isn't the same level as questioning the referees integrity so the Panel saying they've taken his previous in to account when deciding the punishment seems at odds or does Griffin have season on season previous to warrant it? No Yet the panel seem to think that they can take a players previous indiscretion in to account but not an official who was proven to have mis heard a player previously.

This is why I think the system stinks.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12723
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Talking about the half-time 'hooter' going........Have you seen the size of the one on Kendall? icon_eek.gif

256 posts in 18 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
256 posts in 18 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1533203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
Jake the Peg
4m
York City Knights home
altofts wild
11m