JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Is everybody with our signings so far? Holdsworth and Ellis will be great players for us but I'm slightly underwhelmed with the rest.

Galea: good player on his day but to old now. He will be on a large salary, take a quota place in a position we are well covered in. This was the kind of signing I'd rather avoid

Crooks: not see a great deal of him but at least he's young and British. However I feel in lineham we have better

Johnson: not happy with this one. Talks of lopini paea and John Bateman and we end up with a player I've barely heard of

Arundel: again young and British but poor fitness record. From what I've seen in previous seasons he is a previous downgrade on turner.

The point I'm trying to make is are these players what you had in mind when AP made that bold statement all those months ago? I think hand on heart you will have to say no

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach20992No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

“We will not accept a top eight finish as a barometer of supposed success at any point in the future whilst I am the owner of this club. Thats why you got the Bullet Agar...Adam Pearson wants winners...not useless gits like you. "Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers." L.Daley 2005:

Quote: Black and white v2 "Is everybody with our signings so far? Holdsworth and Ellis will be great players for us but I'm slightly underwhelmed with the rest.

Galea

What you know about rugby you could write on the back of a stamp with a roller and still have room left.Go and shag Rufus in town.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1423
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51233_1315864499.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51233.gif

I trust Peter Gentle.

I liken his approach slightly to 'Moneyball'. True Story - Book/Film (starring Brad Pitt) about Baseball's Oakland A's and their Coach Billy Beane.

The whole approach was based on statistics and acquiring the best squad (if not the most expensive), in line with the job they perform.

Although we have a decent budget to spend, unlike the A's who couldn't compete with other clubs, the recruitment was more about what each player could do for the team.

For instance, in Baseball it's all about getting on base and getting round for a run. Now some unglamorous players get round for more runs than the so called Stars who occasionally hit it in to the crowds and take the glory.

Also it looked at what the player really did. For example, if a pitcher concedes a run (or Base move), it may not have been a bad pitch, more a fielding error, but on the stats it goes against the pitcher. To apply to RL, it's like a centre dropping a pass. On the surface you blame the centre, however it may be that the pass was poor and actually the centre was in a good position and would have made a break if the pass was up to scratch. A minor point, but collectively in the game could mean the difference between winning and losing.

So to apply to Hull, Johnson - who's signing doesn't set the world alight, may be here to do a speciifc job and give Gentle more value than a more marque signing. That might be to play 50 minutes, get 10-12 yards per drive and make 30+ tackles per match

Time will tell, but overall, I think everyone who Gentle has brought to the club during 2012, has improved the team. So I am happy to go with all the signings he continues to make.

We just need to remain realistic. An improvement to 4th or 5th next season will be a good achievement, especially when you consider the qulaity and consistancy of the teams ahead of us.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4914
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: Rugby Raider "I trust Peter Gentle.

I liken his approach slightly to 'Moneyball'. True Story - Book/Film (starring Brad Pitt) about Baseball's Oakland A's and their Coach Billy Beane.

The who'll approach was based on statistics and acquiring the best squad (if not the most expensive), in line with the job they perform.

Altough we have a decent budget to spend, unlike the A's who couldn't compete with other clubs, the recruitment was more about what each player could do for the team.

For instance, in Baseball it's all about getting on base and getting round for a run. Now some unglamorous players get round for more runs than the so called Stars who occasionally hit it in to the crowds and take the glory.

Also it looked at what the player really did. For example, if a pitcher concedes a run (or Base move), it may not have been a bad pitch, more a fielding error, but on the stats it goes against the pitcher. To apply to RL, it's like a centre dropping a pass. On the surface you blame the centre, however it may be that the pass was poor and actually the centre was in a good position and would have made a break if the pass was up to scratch. A minor point, but collectively in the game could mean the difference between winning and losing.

So to apply to Hull, Johnson - who's signing doesn't set the world alight, may be here to do a speciifc job and give Gentle more value than a more marque signing. That might be to play 50 minutes, get 10-12 yards per drive and make 30+ tackles per match

Time will tell, but overall, I think everyone who Gentle has brought to the club during 2012, has improved the team. So I am happy to go with all the signings he continues to make.

We just need to remain realistic. An improvement to 4th or 5th next season will be a good achievement, especially when you consider the qulaity and consistancy of the teams ahead of us.'"

The perfect analogy and this could be extended to what Dave Braylsford has done for British cycling. Its the small things that matter and cumulatively they can bring about a massive improvement in performance and, therefore, results.
As you say PG obviously looks at each individuals contribution and what it can bring to the team.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1423
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51233_1315864499.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51233.gif

Quote: Hessle Roader "The perfect analogy and this could be extended to what Dave Braylsford has done for British cycling. Its the small things that matter and cumulatively they can bring about a massive improvement in performance and, therefore, results.
As you say PG obviously looks at each individuals contribution and what it can bring to the team.'"

British Cycling - another great example of getting all the right components to make the team perform to the best of its ability.

I think Gentle's approach is subtle. He knows what he wants/needs and he is quietly going about his business to achieve that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner888No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Brian Smith?

The team he put together played for each other and won the prem in 1991 (sorry Noel the work was done for you). Greg and Paddy did a great job in the half's but compare the team man for man v's Widnes, Saints or Wigan at that time

<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, Kosh , Roland_R , Karen

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.12548828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
6m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Mr Snoodle
7m