FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Another Prop Forward Required....
133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Back on topic... icon_rolleyes.gif

Kinley - I remember reading a post by Jack in the Box several years ago on the subject of youth development, and going by what he wrote (and it seemed well argued to me at the time), youth development certainly isn't the cheapest option. The ROI is very low, and if a player you have developed gets his head turned by another club, the fee you can command is nothing close to the money you've invested in developing him as a player. That's before you consider all those you take on who don't make the grade, but who cost money nonetheless. And that's one of the reasons we have the Club 1873 scheme.

I wasn't aware of the details about Anakin, and given what The Clan and others have posted, this makes sense now in the broader context.

It's interesting to read about the changes in the youth structure since Richard Agar took over. Given the criticism that was leveled at him during his time at Hull for not bringing on young players, this is an eye-opener to me.

Great thread, btw... MORE!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9974
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43457_1320063455.jpg
READ THE AUP: //forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=438945&tsmp=1381997916:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43457.jpg

Quote: RebelRebel "Back on topic... I suppose it comes down to if its done well, the players have a pathway into the first team and opportunities and the club is fully supportive.
As you say there is nothing to stop your hard work ending up elsewhere. Equally though if all clubs are at the same game - what goes around comes around.
Look at Wigan as a prime example (personally I think they are a good POTENTIAL comparison for us) a town/city steeped in RL folklore where kids would swim through a vomit filled pool to play in the colours and for nowt if they had to.
They don't pay good money initiallly to their youngsters (I'm told) because they are so keen and its seen as a privilege and an honour. This should be the bench mark we aim for, both in quality and stature ad also from a financial stand point.
If we are ever going to start making in roads on our antipodean counterparts this is the way we will do it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2120No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56034_1356885742.png
[b:19e3zrpk]DONT TOUCH THE WATCH[/b:19e3zrpk]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56034.png

The youth at Leeds are paid very low and thats why many have left who are good players but could not quite get into the side at the time eg Broughton, Gibson, Tansey. Now look at a side like Cas who gambled on giving a player like Owen a reported 6 figure a year salary, and it has backfired. Every player at leeds could earn more but sacrafice that to earn trophies, and that is something i truely hope i see future Wakefield players doing one day.

RankPostsTeam
International Star915No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Having watched chris annakin since he was an u18 player i think i ca give a veiw which most on here havent seen.Coaches in rugby league are the men who make decisions on players potential, sometimes its a gut feeling, sometimes its put on a plate for em by how they play at a lower level.Annakin at u18 was outstanding doubts were expressed about his size and ability to pass the ball, talking to chris at the start of the season he was off to dewsbury,credit to agar he played him in the friendly at donny and saw enough in him to keep him back.He always had the toughness for a super league player it was just down to working on things he lacked. someone pointed out hes a better player now than walshaw do they realise chris is almost two years older than lucas.Its also been saidit takes money to develop youth,true but as been pointed out players like mellars were given three year deals on big money.how do i know when he signed we had just come out of administration,you dont signfor three years if your not securing your future.People say it will take a long time to reap benefits of the youth system can i say we had it,that team beat a wigan side that included present first teamers josh charnley,jack hughes ian thornley,jack murphy on loan to salford and logan tompkins, a saints team among others gaskell and malckinson and aleeds team including callum watkins , what happened to the development of most of these,iknow the old regime was here at the time but somwhere along the line alot of talent went to waste and that wasnt down just to moneywhen you find talent youve to be brave and sometimes take a chance

RankPostsTeam
International Star2120No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
56034_1356885742.png
[b:19e3zrpk]DONT TOUCH THE WATCH[/b:19e3zrpk]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_56034.png

Quote: try scorer "Having watched chris annakin since he was an u18 player i think i ca give a veiw which most on here havent seen.Coaches in rugby league are the men who make decisions on players potential, sometimes its a gut feeling, sometimes its put on a plate for em by how they play at a lower level.Annakin at u18 was outstanding doubts were expressed about his size and ability to pass the ball, talking to chris at the start of the season he was off to dewsbury,credit to agar he played him in the friendly at donny and saw enough in him to keep him back.He always had the toughness for a super league player it was just down to working on things he lacked. someone pointed out hes a better player now than walshaw do they realise chris is almost two years older than lucas.Its also been saidit takes money to develop youth,true but as been pointed out players like mellars were given three year deals on big money.how do i know when he signed we had just come out of administration,you dont signfor three years if your not securing your future.People say it will take a long time to reap benefits of the youth system can i say we had it,that team beat a wigan side that included present first teamers josh charnley,jack hughes ian thornley,jack murphy on loan to salford and logan tompkins, a saints team among others gaskell and malckinson and aleeds team including callum watkins , what happened to the development of most of these,iknow the old regime was here at the time but somwhere along the line alot of talent went to waste and that wasnt down just to moneywhen you find talent youve to be brave and sometimes take a chance'"

Some great points their in my opinion try scorer, that was one hell of a valvoline side to win the grand final. Crying shame nothing really came from it, although Annakin has finally arrived on the superleague scene after ripping it up in the academy for a fair few years. Personally i have been dissapointed with Wildies development. Do not know whether it is down to his natural position being a 7 gives him no chance of starting in front of Smith, or he just is not super league standard even filling in at 9. Though he's only 22 seems to have been around for donkeys years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach27039No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17219_1385659818.jpg
onetiger = half a cabbage The night is dark and full of terrors. Winter is coming.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17219.jpg

Quote: try scorer "Having watched chris annakin since he was an u18 player i think i ca give a veiw which most on here havent seen.Coaches in rugby league are the men who make decisions on players potential, sometimes its a gut feeling, sometimes its put on a plate for em by how they play at a lower level.Annakin at u18 was outstanding doubts were expressed about his size and ability to pass the ball, talking to chris at the start of the season he was off to dewsbury,credit to agar he played him in the friendly at donny and saw enough in him to keep him back.He always had the toughness for a super league player it was just down to working on things he lacked. someone pointed out hes a better player now than walshaw do they realise chris is almost two years older than lucas.Its also been saidit takes money to develop youth,true but as been pointed out players like mellars were given three year deals on big money.how do i know when he signed we had just come out of administration,you dont signfor three years if your not securing your future.People say it will take a long time to reap benefits of the youth system can i say we had it,that team beat a wigan side that included present first teamers josh charnley,jack hughes ian thornley,jack murphy on loan to salford and logan tompkins, a saints team among others gaskell and malckinson and aleeds team including callum watkins , what happened to the development of most of these,iknow the old regime was here at the time but somwhere along the line alot of talent went to waste and that wasnt down just to moneywhen you find talent youve to be brave and sometimes take a chance'"

Can't say i find much to disagree with in that one tryscorer.

No doubt a lot of talent "got lost" at this club over the years but it is changing so we have hope for the future.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1886No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51581_1309939310.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51581.jpg

Quote: try scorer " what happened to the development of most of these,iknow the old regime was here at the time but somwhere along the line alot of talent went to waste and that wasnt down just to moneywhen '"

If you know Mopsey he's worth having a chat to about this and his theory is quite interesting. Its nothing to do with the old regime its more down to the people in charge of coaching around that time.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36077
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: jack in the box "If you know Mopsey he's worth having a chat to about this and his theory is quite interesting. Its nothing to do with the old regime its more down to the people in charge of coaching around that time.'"

Glad you pointed that out, I was going to point it out but then I thought whats the point - many just want to blame the old regime for everything.

Truth is Ted always put his hand in his pocket along with Squadbuilder to sign the best young players we could afford. And just like the so called "Journeymen" Ted did some blinding deals. In many ways much better than we have managed so far with the new regime but I accept it's early days.

Exactly who do they think sanctioned the signing of players like Chris Feather who at the time was very sought after junior or who smuggled Solomona in under the radar. Credit where it's due for heavens sake.

Why so many of that academy team have not made it through is unknown to me but how that is the fault of the old regime I have no idea. Even Kears reluctance to give young players a chance though partly to blame cannot be the whole story - because when Kear was here players like Anakin were clearly not ready anyway and IMO only became selectable last season which I believe is Agar territory.

So maybe a little less of the revisionism and more of the here and now would be nice. Lets hope Agar has a plan for all these youngsters ant we see them making their marks sooner rather than later.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36077
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: RebelRebel "Back on topic... icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star45No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some good posts but why did it come to anakin goin to dewsbur?.He's had a great start ripping it up in pre season outstanding performances so far,a month left to be a free agent crazy. perhaps his attitude changed when they won the final against top teams and everybodys gone.I went to a meeting about the new coach and elston said, are new appointments priority is bringing thru the youth well im afraid i havent seen it.Agar has his favourites and he sticks with em.Like previous posters have said we can find money fore 3yr deals for some, annakin has put more effort in the few games he's played than mellors last couple seasons

RankPostsTeam
International Star382No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67035_1360685150.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67035.jpg

To be fair to Agar, injuries normally result in the young kids been given a chance, something we didnt really suffer from last year. Didnt Tomkins get his chance when a certain Tim Smith was injured?

Agree completely with Try scorers post above. From the final winning side you would have expected at least a couple to come through and make a place there own. Why this hasnt happened i dont know but youve got to say the buck should stop at the coaching teams. Dont see how either the old or new board can be held responsible. They set the budgets, it is up to the coaches how they are used.

As for Chris Annakin, im sure he would be the first to admit his attitude and commitment have not been at the levels they needed to be at, to be seriously competing for a 1st team place. I think the potential move to Dewsbury and seeing the other lads going off to pastures new outside of Super League may have given him the kick up the backside he needed.

Just out of interest where do people see him playing? Personally after watching him for a few years now i dont think his hands are good enough for the back row and im not sure how he will hold up propping regular? The modern day loose forward/3rd prop maybe?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1360No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp019.gif
We put this festival on you ba****ds With whole lotta love We worked for one year for you pigs And you wanna break our walls down And you wanna destroy Well you go to hell:simpsons/simp019.gif

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that as yet, I haven't seen anything from this kid to make me think he is anything other than a run of the mill youngster finding his way. Granted I don't watch the A team or Academy but so far he seems to me to be in the "Ben Cockayne" mould, 100% effort and endevour maybe leading some to have an inflated opinion of him.

He seems to take the ball in with great gusto and be a really willing worker but got caught out in the tackle and ended up being turtelled. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for developing the youngsters and am a firm believer in the fact that the money wasted time after time after time on low grade imports (often part way through a season, Hickey, Winterstein, Leano etc wouldn't have got here on a day rover and come for peanuts) could and should be used for players like him, up to know I just don't see the fuss specifically about this player yet - but the wider issue is a very interesting and valid one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9974
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43457_1320063455.jpg
READ THE AUP: //forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=438945&tsmp=1381997916:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43457.jpg

Quote: vastman "Glad you pointed that out, I was going to point it out but then I thought whats the point - many just want to blame the old regime for everything.

Truth is Ted always put his hand in his pocket along with Squadbuilder to sign the best young players we could afford. And just like the so called "Journeymen" Ted did some blinding deals. In many ways much better than we have managed so far with the new regime but I accept it's early days.

Exactly who do they think sanctioned the signing of players like Chris Feather who at the time was very sought after junior or who smuggled Solomona in under the radar. Credit where it's due for heavens sake.

Why so many of that academy team have not made it through is unknown to me but how that is the fault of the old regime I have no idea. Even Kears reluctance to give young players a chance though partly to blame cannot be the whole story - because when Kear was here players like Anakin were clearly not ready anyway and IMO only became selectable last season which I believe is Agar territory.

So maybe a little less of the revisionism and more of the here and now would be nice. Lets hope Agar has a plan for all these youngsters ant we see them making their marks sooner rather than later.'"

Was he putting money in it or taking money out though!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star223No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Tommy Duckfingers "I'm going out on a limb here and saying that as yet, I haven't seen anything from this kid to make me think he is anything other than a run of the mill youngster finding his way. Granted I don't watch the A team or Academy but so far he seems to me to be in the "Ben Cockayne" mould, 100% effort and endevour maybe leading some to have an inflated opinion of him.

He seems to take the ball in with great gusto and be a really willing worker but got caught out in the tackle and ended up being turtelled. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for developing the youngsters and am a firm believer in the fact that the money wasted time after time after time on low grade imports (often part way through a season, Hickey, Winterstein, Leano etc wouldn't have got here on a day rover and come for peanuts) could and should be used for players like him, up to know I just don't see the fuss specifically about this player yet - but the wider issue is a very interesting and valid one.'"

I wouldn't underestimate how hard it is to play out of position in the pack at such a tender age. Most prop forwards cannot hold their own until their 25-27. I agree with the rest, but he could be a "keeper" from what I've seen so far.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1360No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp019.gif
We put this festival on you ba****ds With whole lotta love We worked for one year for you pigs And you wanna break our walls down And you wanna destroy Well you go to hell:simpsons/simp019.gif

Quote: violetrwb "I wouldn't underestimate how hard it is to play out of position in the pack at such a tender age. Most prop forwards cannot hold their own until their 25-27. I agree with the rest, but he could be a "keeper" from what I've seen so far.'"

I appreciate that, and playing within a depleted pack missing many senior players makes it even harder - not knocking the kid at all, just making an observation. I find it a little strange that the one facet of the lads game/make up that those who are "closer" to him question is the one part that I thought was his greatest strength.

133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
133 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Zig
30m
TV Games - Not Hull
bonaire
31m