FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Taxi for Chester?
631 posts in 43 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1692No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BarnsleyGull "he may have been picked, but he isn't a hooker though is he?'"

kirmond said in his opening that Jordan gives 100% that’s not in question

In terms of effort and commitment I’d go as far as to say he’s gives as much if not more than any one on the pitch and he absolutely should be getting a starting shirt because of that

Chester is killing him by playing him at hooker though and killing us too
He’s doing to him what he did to max and Rocky

A hooker needs to have attacking flair, speed and be able to make positive creative decisions and most importantly attack the line

I like josh wood a lot, he’s clearly hard as nails and likes getting in to the oppositions face He’s very different to woody and that’s good but he does lack creative spark

So currently we have two hookers that struggle to create and coach who buy his own admission can’t get the players to do what he wants On the pitch

Not ideal is it

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20852
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: musson "kirmond said in his opening that Jordan gives 100% that’s not in question

In terms of effort and commitment I’d go as far as to say he’s gives as much if not more than any one on the pitch and he absolutely should be getting a starting shirt because of that

A hooker needs to have attacking flair, speed and be able to make positive creative decisions and most importantly attack the line

I like josh wood a lot, he’s clearly hard as nails and likes getting in to the oppositions face He’s very different to woody and that’s good but he does lack creative spark

So currently we have two hookers that struggle to create and coach who buy his own admission can’t get the players to do what he wants On the pitch

Not ideal is it'"

It's makes me laughing seeing so many people calling out the playing Crowther at Hooker decision. There were loads of people saying to do exactly that not long ago.
Crowther is clearly a 13 playing at 9.
But he brings defense so it's a stop gap.
If he played Harry Bowes you'd get the same people moaning he's killing him by playing him. Same as he killed Max by not playing him. Same as killing Annakin by not converting him to Hooker, same as killing Kershaw by playing him and then by not playing him.

At Wakefield you have to fix things a bit at a time. There isn't a Hooker out there in our price range that's a better option. It needs to happen for us to move forward. At the moment we are doing the best we can.
Would I play Josh Wood. Yes. Will he improve the speed of the play the ball more than Crowther, maybe but not a lot. Would we miss Crowther when he isn't on the field. Yes we would.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20214 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: musson "kirmond said in his opening that Jordan gives 100% that’s not in question

Not ideal is it'"
spot on

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20214 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "It's makes me laughing seeing so many people calling out the playing Crowther at Hooker decision. There were loads of people saying to do exactly that not long ago.
Crowther is clearly a 13 playing at 9.
But he brings defense so it's a stop gap.
If he played Harry Bowes you'd get the same people moaning he's killing him by playing him. Same as he killed Max by not playing him. Same as killing Annakin by not converting him to Hooker, same as killing Kershaw by playing him and then by not playing him.

At Wakefield you have to fix things a bit at a time. There isn't a Hooker out there in our price range that's a better option. It needs to happen for us to move forward. At the moment we are doing the best we can.
Would I play Josh Wood. Yes. Will he improve the speed of the play the ball more than Crowther, maybe but not a lot. Would we miss Crowther when he isn't on the field. Yes we would.'"

As regards playing crowther at hooker I was not one of those , I did suggest if we need a stop gap or developable hooker then either Brad walker or would be worth a go.

As far as I can see no one on here has criticised his efforts merely his ability as a hooker , but our problem in attack is manifest and obvious - we are incapable of creating tries. Our defence at times looks excellent but because we ain’t scoring when we are ascendant it tires and we start to drop off tackles . Where I do have a slight issue is saying he has to be on the field - where ? Certainly not at loose forward westerman is both in our leading tacklers and metre makers , in front of tanginoa really ? Personally think both Pitts and ashurst have more to offer in their all round game.

I actually think Jordan is a hard working back up back row forward , playing him at hooker I’ve never seen as he isn’t quick enough off the mark , and lacks perhaps that fleetness of mind the best hookers always have. Not quite sure why we can’t leave it at that

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I get all the frustration – and I feel it just as much as any other ardent fan - but let’s put the losses into perspective: we’ve played only two games off the back of only one pre-season runout against Dewsbury; we could, and should, have won what was a close encounter against Leeds (in the very first game of the season); we were tied up at 6 a piece at half time against a Wigan side who defended brilliantly in the first half and in the second half ruthlessly exploited the enforced switch of James B into the centre following TJ’s injury (when we had a bench full of forwards). Off the back of that, people are calling for CC’s head to roll immediately, are singling out individual players for some pretty harsh and unfair criticism etc etc.. Now I’m one of biggest critics of the team and coach outside of this forum but I think we should not overreact just yet after two games.

That said, I accept that there are some pretty worrying signs in respect of our toothless attacking play even at this very early stage of the season. Just like last season and the season before, there is a bit of a deja vu feeling. I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom because there was a glimmer of improvement on display in that 20 min stint in the first half against Leeds to convince me (at least) that the group of players who CC has assembled are indeed capable of playing some decent attacking rugby. That has to be offset unfortunately by the reality that for nearly all the Wigan game, and most of the Leeds game, we were devoid of any real attacking threat.

Like previous seasons, we seem to lack any consistent structure in our attack. I look at all the NRL sides week in week out and watch how they set up in attack and think to myself why don’t and can’t we attack like they do. I’m not talking complex plays just the basic stuff: forming a deeper backline; running onto the ball and not catching it stood still and being driven back; having a number of players running at the line to confuse/keep defenders guessing as to who is going to hit the line with the ball rather than one out, predictable stuff which leads to easy defence reads and gang tackles; running intelligent lines; last tackle sets where our wingers actually compete for the ball with their opposite numbers or fullback. I don’t think any of that is really rocket science but it’s effective, it’s how you win games and it’s entertaining to watch.

The really frustrating part is that this team can do all of the above when it wants to – and, as I say, we saw a fleeting glimpse of it when they went 16-4 up against Leeds - so why don’t they do it on a consistent basis? For me, we need to be emulating (if we haven’t been) how NRL teams attack and that means getting those attacking fundamentals right. The coaches need to nail in training with the lads the plays that those NRL sides run and then make sure that they are executed come match day. It requires buy in from all the team obviously but specifically the half backs who need to grab games by the scruff of the neck and marshal the team around the paddock. It requires Miller to step up, be vocal and lead by example as captain and make sure that we stick to the script on the field and, if the team do not, to read the riot act and get the required response from his team.

If the attack continues to misfire over the course of the next 5-6 games – and I don’t think we could realistically leave it any longer than that to see the significant improvement that is required given the relegation threat (which is exacerbated by reason of the strength of the teams in the bottom half of the table) - then at that point people need to step aside and changes need to be made; for a start, a change of coach and a change of captain which for me would mean the promotion of Last and Pitts respectively.

We can’t keep relying on individual pieces of brilliance from TJ and Dave. If our attack does not start clicking as a collective – on a consistent basis and soon - then we will keep losing I fear that we will be relegated and I dread to think what that will mean for the future of the club.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2613
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

dpbnov a good post but do you think there is more pressure on Miller and lino because of lack of help in attack by our 9 .The OZ teams seem to have a strong attacking one who can defend

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20852
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Kirmudgeonlyisback "As regards playing crowther at hooker I was not one of those , I did suggest if we need a stop gap or developable hooker then either Brad walker or would be worth a go.

As far as I can see no one on here has criticised his efforts merely his ability as a hooker , but our problem in attack is manifest and obvious - we are incapable of creating tries. Our defence at times looks excellent but because we ain’t scoring when we are ascendant it tires and we start to drop off tackles . Where I do have a slight issue is saying he has to be on the field - where ? Certainly not at loose forward westerman is both in our leading tacklers and metre makers , in front of tanginoa really ? Personally think both Pitts and ashurst have more to offer in their all round game.

I actually think Jordan is a hard working back up back row forward , playing him at hooker I’ve never seen as he isn’t quick enough off the mark , and lacks perhaps that fleetness of mind the best hookers always have. Not quite sure why we can’t leave it at that'"

I agree with all that.
Except the Brad Walker thing. That would just shift the issue.
We need a better Hooker.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20852
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg

Quote: alegend "dpbnov a good post but do you think there is more pressure on Miller and lino because of lack of help in attack by our 9 .The OZ teams seem to have a strong attacking one who can defend'"

I've said for a while but slow ball from Hooker stunts our attack.
Defenses know they can be on us before the ball has moved past first receiver.

Getting Lino improves it but it has just highlighted the 9 issue even more while Wood isn't around - and it's still a problem when he plays too just not as much.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Manuel "I don’t care what anyone thinks of this post, I’m just sick of watching dross. Change needed.
Again, apologies, think Lino is not fit and bang average.'"

I agree on Chester. Sadly I think the time for us to part company has arrived. I that you must be watching a different game to me though because I thought lino has impressed in both games

RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MOPSEY LIVES ON "on current form the only two who would get bigger clubs are tupou and TJ and both would be great for other clubs providing they can stop fit, tanginoa would also probably get a bigger club if he can discover last seasons form. Arona, fafita, ashurst, lyne who are all done great for the club Imo would only be used as a stop gap somewhere, with the exception of lyne who’s 29 their all the wrong side of 30 and their best years are behind them. The youngsters need to improve and continue to improve something I haven’t seen in any player in 2 1/2 years with players either stagnating or going backwards. Chester may of only signed two players but he’s resigned nearly all the other players. Also let’s look at his disastrous signings, gigot, brough, tangata, lino. The whole team as completely stagnated and if your not going forwards your only going one way. As for arudel he’s a good honest pro who can read the game but he’s like TJ he spends hell of a lot of time not on the field.'"

Totally disagree. The poster you contradict is correct

RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dunkirk Spirit "Well, that did not take long. Two games in and already the flaming torches and pitchforks are out. this must be the record for the shortest time.
Gods sake grow up.'"

Come on....it is not just these 2 games is it? We know the pattern. It's depressingly predictable every match now. Since Kear left, our defence is abysmal. Our pack is too lightweight and leaves our halves compromised in every match

RankPostsTeam
International Star5219
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

It’s not just two games it’s nearly two seasons and two games. We have basically the same squad and sadly the same coach. I would expect that by now Chester would have worked things out but once again evidence suggests not and he is still using the same excuses. He has never taken personal responsibility for how his team performs, but once again he doesn’t need to because he will always be backed by the board.
I would ask how many coaches would still be in situ with his record and the possibility of a contract extension. He has the closest thing to a job for life which is rare in any business but sport never.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4914
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28490_1361478234.jpg
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28490.jpg

Quote: Egg Banjo "Last and Poching are championship level coaches who are working under the direction of a head coach who is bereft of ideas and has no clue on how to motivate his players.'"

I would beg to differ regarding Andy Last. When Radford was sacked last year, we were all screaming for an outsider to be brought into the club. The chairman thought otherwise and gave Andy a chance to show his credentials. He turned the team round and actually got us to the semi-finals of the playoffs. Chester I won't comment on as I've no idea what goes on with Wakey but I would say have some faith in Last and I'm sure you'll see some improvement.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76816_1582258482.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76816.jpeg

Personally I’d give Rocky a run at hooker ,is it really that much different from a half back role nowadays ,he’s got the speed of thought and would certainly gee up things around the play the ball which at the moment is killing us ,as by the time the ball gets out to first receiver players are getting mullered .We’d certainly miss the defence of Crowther in the middle but I’m sure that would be offset by a much faster play the ball and dare I say it, a scoot from dummy half .This isn’t a dig at Crowther who I rate very highly ,just don’t think he is suited to the hooking role ,but hats off to him for his efforts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2613
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

We have got faith in Last and Poching ,and our on line defence and first half display have improved .The trouble is we have got a few player's that would go better in the championship.,and most of our decent players are are not as good as two year ago ,and big problems at 9.A lot of this is down to Me Chester so should imagine Last as not got the same input he had at Hull.

631 posts in 43 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
631 posts in 43 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.54150390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
MattyB
11m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
26m