FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Destination Dewsbury?
170 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6293
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
31007_1580947500.jpg
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_31007.jpg

Quote: Scarlet Pimpernell "Having just read our chairman's recent tweet I am afraid he still does not know who the Wakefield supporters are. We have a long history tied up at Belle Vue. We unlike football do not accept change easily so he may believe Dewsbury is a far better ground than Belle Vue but I doubt many supporters would agree.
It may make financial sense now but he fails to understand the impact it will have on the numbers attending because he does not know us with the exception of the optimists on the forum who would even consider Doncaster a viable option.'"

I'm not sure his tweet says that much. Someone tweeted him and suggested that the Dewsbury ground makes Belle Vue look like the Theatre of Dreams and he responded, 'are you being serious?' He's right, in that regard.

And think it through: if this is about getting the Bank of Ireland to agree a lower rent, he's hardly likely to say, 'don't worry, mate, we're not really leaving'.

You've got to follow a process with this:
1. Can the club survive at Belle Vue with the current rent, crowd levels, and level of investment?
2. If the answer is no, was it wrong to give notice, in the hope that the rent is reduced?
3. If no, it wasn't wrong, do we do nothing in the hope that the bank renegotiates, or do seek an alternative short-term home?
4. If we do nothing, and the bank doesn't give us a lower rent, and looks instead for a buyer, where do we play next year?
5. If we are trying to force a negotiation, what is wrong with making out we have somewhere else to go?
6. If there is no renegotiation, shouldn't we have somewhere else to go?

If you agree with 1 and 2, everything else that follows is logical and sensible.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5507No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16551_1431692096.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16551.jpg

Quote: financialtimes "You are wrong
At the moment all that revenue is being gobbled up by the running of the club, maintenance/rent/insurance not to mention also the employment of those people to carry out the functions you suggest we would miss out on, we would have less variable overheads and more fixed cost, which makes it far easier to budget to.
It's not ideal ground sharing, but it's better than what we have at the moment, we can add some value to dewsbury said ground by means of improvement and this may have a positive for both clubs, this has to be a good thing doesn't it?'"

The only area we would end up better off in is in ground maintenance, which is what is killing us now. The insurance and ultility increases that will come due to having two teams at the ground will be added onto to renti to reflect the extra cost to Dewsbury of us playing there. As for the cost of caterers then we either have to continue to use our own and as such no change or use the ones Dewsbury currently do so pay for the privilage. And the savings made there will be eaten straight up in lost revenue through lower footfall. Can you really see attendances holding up because i can't.

I also can't see why we would spend money (what money?!) improving their ground? We would surley only do that if we were staying long term and if that is the plan then the club will die anyway. So no, it isn't a good thing in my view at all really.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5507No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16551_1431692096.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16551.jpg

Quote: Slugger McBatt "I wondered that. If giving notice was a tactic to get the BOI to renegotiate rent, what he has done is sensible. It makes his hand stronger to renegotiate the rent.

And what's he supposed to do? Do nothing until New Years Day and then look surprised when someone turns up with some new locks?

The issue is whether it was the right thing to do in giving notice. If it was, the Dewsbury thing is right too, as it is part of the same game of poker.'"

I'm pretty sure it was brinkmanship but the gamble was that the bank would prefer the easy money and take a lower rent option. It was always possible, some would say probable, that they actually want rid of the place and will happily sell it on to a housing developer who can take advantage of the planning permission on it. They will need to have the section 38 condition removed during the upcoming renewal but the hand of any objectors to that has been seriously weakened by us voluntarily giving notice to leave with 18 months left on the lease. And with Newmarket as unlikely as it has ever been the chances are it may get removed. The other option is to sit on the land a couple of years and see if the club withers away and dies playing outside of the city. Its been over a month and the boi haven't been back in touch regarding the offer we made and now someone has put a bid in. I'd say they are pushing for a sale.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5218
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What happened to our love in with the new MP for Morley. I thought she would do everything possible to sort out the Newmarket question. It appears to have gone very quiet on this front.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8962
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10751_1297625775.jpg
Fed up of these rollercoaster rides!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10751.jpg

Quote: asmadasa "There is something about Belle Vue that makes it a great ground to visit in my opinion regardless of the facilities.

BOI probably wanted Trinity out and Carter knew that the writing was on the wall as well as in the Daily Mail...

That ground in that picture looks alright! shame its not Dewsbury!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: JINJER "Or is this another ploy by MC to force the BOI's hand? A case of look here BOI, we've got somewhere to play and you'll not get your £250,000 a year? What happened to the "can't sell BV till Trinity have somewhere to play" gag?'"

see this where it gets out of hand, this figure is not the figure quoted that the bank excepts as rent, it was quoted that this figure is the total to run the club using Belle Vue to play out of and maintain

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1468
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 1970Jun 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Scarlet Pimpernell "Having just read our chairman's recent tweet I am afraid he still does not know who the Wakefield supporters are. We have a long history tied up at Belle Vue. We unlike football do not accept change easily so he may believe Dewsbury is a far better ground than Belle Vue but I doubt many supporters would agree.
It may make financial sense now but he fails to understand the impact it will have on the numbers attending because he does not know us with the exception of the optimists on the forum who would even consider Doncaster a viable option.'"
lets just take things stadium related away from the equation,
where is our support right now,so what difference is it going to make if he took us to the moon, the Wakefield fans are a set of luddites unwilling to except change,
anyone standing to the moans and groans are called blinkered, rose tinted and in a love in with the club yet still want to see the club do well but are now drifting away, don't think we are the only ones just look at what has happened to Salford and they have got a new stadium

Let see what the news fetches today and see what response the Wakefield public say then

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2334_1318529805.png
There's Only One F in Wakefield:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2334.png

At the end of the day, I think everyone would prefer a solution within Wakefield proper. But we have been trying that for years and years and nothing has come off, if we have to temporarily leave Wakefield then Dewsbury is probably the best option for a lot of people. Decent ground, very accessible by car, direct bus from Wakey bus station. I would travel to Dewsbury, I wouldn't go to Donny or Barnsley.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5613
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Dewsbury is actually nearer to me than BV but BV is all we've know and loved.I'd love a re developed BV or a new stadium.Dewsbury are working hard to upgrade their ground,the road end as been made into a standing area and were on with the same at the opposite end I believe.if Trin played in timbuktoo I'd make every effort to get there.The sooner we get stability on the ground issue the better.I'm sure MC and team will do what's best for Wakey.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3728No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The problem is it wouldn't be a temporary move in reality would it, we would be there for years. It's about time people started to accept Newmarket as originally planned isn't going to happen, lets be honest there is no polical will, the developer is deliberately trying to manipulate the planning permission to there own end and half the fans never wanted to move their anyway. The best we could of hoped for was to use the land there as a bargaining chip to get Belle Vue and the land around it bought back and in our name with maybe some money up front to start vital improvements with incremental payments as the Newmarket site was developed. But to do this we had to play for time with BV and be in situ when this happened. By moving the bank will now likely sell the land, the planning condition is easier to remove and our historic home will be flattened for housing. So now we are stuck looking at being tenants in somebody elses ground outside Wakefield for a long time to come. I can't see any kind of positive outcome there.

Now i understand why Mr Carter took the decision, if we were to go down then it would prove to be the correct decision as we couldn't run a full-time squad on championship income whilst playing at Belle Vue. But if we stay up then it is going to look a foolish one as we will be moving away when we didn't have to. The savings we would make will be lost in people no longer attending and the money they also spend elsewhere. Add to the fact that we have already had two attendances this year higher than Dewsburys 5000 capacity which would be lost revenue straight away. Where will the net crease come from exactly?

Put it this way a conservative estimate would say if an average of 800 don't go next year due to the move and their average pay in cost is £15 then then over the course of 13 games we are 156K down
If a quarter of those missing would normally spend an average of £30 on merchandise from the shop the thats another 6K
If those people have an average in ground spend (programme, pop, beer, food, halftime draw etc) of just 3 quid a person (i know some won't spend any but some will spend much more) then over the season thats another 31200
Add on the 1500 people we wouldn't be able to fit into the ground on those two games its another 22500.
If just 50 of those people are club 1873 members and decide that since they are no longer going they won't bother thats 5200.
Thats a total of all but 221K. Is it really worth it in the end?

And once people stop going and get out of the habit it is very difficult to get them back. I really do fear a move from BV will be the end.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1999
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35006_1638866888.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35006.jpg

Quote: asmadasa "There is something about Belle Vue that makes it a great ground to visit in my opinion regardless of the facilities.

BOI probably wanted Trinity out and Carter knew that the writing was on the wall as well as in the Daily Mail...

You'll have rather a long way to go for home games in that stadium. The picture is of the LSV.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13741
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29100_1291104497.jpg
1/10:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29100.jpg

Quote: Sacred Cow "The problem is it wouldn't be a temporary move in reality would it, we would be there for years. It's about time people started to accept Newmarket as originally planned isn't going to happen, lets be honest there is no polical will, the developer is deliberately trying to manipulate the planning permission to there own end and half the fans never wanted to move their anyway. The best we could of hoped for was to use the land there as a bargaining chip to get Belle Vue and the land around it bought back and in our name with maybe some money up front to start vital improvements with incremental payments as the Newmarket site was developed. But to do this we had to play for time with BV and be in situ when this happened. By moving the bank will now likely sell the land, the planning condition is easier to remove and our historic home will be flattened for housing. So now we are stuck looking at being tenants in somebody elses ground outside Wakefield for a long time to come. I can't see any kind of positive outcome there.

Now i understand why Mr Carter took the decision, if we were to go down then it would prove to be the correct decision as we couldn't run a full-time squad on championship income whilst playing at Belle Vue. But if we stay up then it is going to look a foolish one as we will be moving away when we didn't have to. The savings we would make will be lost in people no longer attending and the money they also spend elsewhere. Add to the fact that we have already had two attendances this year higher than Dewsburys 5000 capacity which would be lost revenue straight away. Where will the net crease come from exactly?

Put it this way a conservative estimate would say if an average of 800 don't go next year due to the move and their average pay in cost is £15 then then over the course of 13 games we are 156K down
If a quarter of those missing would normally spend an average of £30 on merchandise from the shop the thats another 6K
If those people have an average in ground spend (programme, pop, beer, food, halftime draw etc) of just 3 quid a person (i know some won't spend any but some will spend much more) then over the season thats another 31200
Add on the 1500 people we wouldn't be able to fit into the ground on those two games its another 22500.
If just 50 of those people are club 1873 members and decide that since they are no longer going they won't bother thats 5200.
Thats a total of all but 221K. Is it really worth it in the end?

And once people stop going and get out of the habit it is very difficult to get them back. I really do fear a move from BV will be the end.'"

That's my take on it. Whilst physically the ground is practically in Wakefield it's perceptively a massive move away which will give the knife edge support an excuse not to go. I'll still go but many won't bother. If we move out of the city the club will die in 5-10 years or so.

RankPostsTeam
International Star180No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have read all of this thread and as a supporter of 60 years it deeply saddens me the plight we are in.
I will hold my hand up and say I haven't a clue as to the best way forward.
It is easy to criticise and lash out, but those who are criticising the club management have yet to come forward with really viable solutions.
All I know is that I am Trinity 'through and through' and will be there supporting come what may.
If some on here who just keep looking for excuses to cease supporting think I am 'blinkered', wear 'rose tinted glasses' good for them.
I call it being a supporter of something that is so much part of my life.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2645No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

You can arrive at what figures you want. The clubs owned by Mr Carter and he can do as he pleases. I don't think for one minute he will be thinking about loosing any money . Hes the man in the know he knows how much it costs to run a rugby club and if the rents out of range at present hes simply looking at alternatives.
We may not like the goings on but we can do nothing to change the present situation. I support Wakefield Trinity and for the present time Mr C the owner and like many an owner before him he probably over values in money terms and underestimated the fans passion and feelings for the Trin.
Pub landlords come and go, some you like some you don't get on with. You may even stay away while the pubs under ownership of an owner you don't like. The problem s that the pub may close never to open its doors again because of rising prices and fewer numbers drinking. I think the only way we can insure we are watching Wakey will be to get behind the team and make sure we turn up, I don't see it as support for Mr Carter just supporting my team. Any really disgruntled supporters can organise demonstrations.
Just remember the next three games could well be the last we play at B V and I would much rather celebrate the old girl than go on a sour note. I have had some great times at our outdated sub standard ground and have not given a hoot about her condition. It part of the history of Wakefield and its played a massive part of my own personal family history for, well ages.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4208
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: milopolly "
All I know is that I am Trinity 'through and through' and will be there supporting come what may.
If some on here who just keep looking for excuses to cease supporting think I am 'blinkered', wear 'rose tinted glasses' good for them.
I call it being a supporter of something that is so much part of my life.'"

This.

170 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
170 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.5341796875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
26s
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
27s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
28s
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
28s
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
29s
Squad 2024
faxcar
29s
Season 2024
tomtom84
29s
Seth Nikotemo
Trojan Horse
29s
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
29s
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,473 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22