JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#4000BF][b]Living the armchair fan dream! ;)[/b][/color]:

I agree, how hard can it possibly be to attract the better players in the Championship or League 1?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4171No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41054_1271014891.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41054.jpg

if their under contract and any good they will need a fee! and lets face it we are not a fee paying club, and to be honest if their playing in C1 or Nl1 theres probably a reason why...they arnt good enough for SL.

Clear as day for me now, brough should have been a sign or go in this seasons planning, not hope he signs, fingers crossed, as soon as his financial situation became know the result was obvious surely?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1456No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#4000BF][b]Living the armchair fan dream! ;)[/b][/color]:

Quote: chapster "if their under contract and any good they will need a fee! and lets face it we are not a fee paying club, and to be honest if their playing in C1 or Nl1 theres probably a reason why...they arnt good enough for SL.

Clear as day for me now, brough should have been a sign or go in this seasons planning, not hope he signs, fingers crossed, as soon as his financial situation became know the result was obvious surely?'"

While I agree with what you say regarding concerns that the players may lack quality, feel that some of the ones I have in mind would definately add something to our team, more attacking flare on the flanks anyway.

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg
[color=#400000:2dasnjxb]"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"[/color:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#FF0000:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://www.swag-online.co.uk[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#0000FF:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://wakefield.rlfans.com[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15993.jpeg

Quote: wakeytom "You seem to feel very happy that as supporters we have been conned - we must have money available to spend after losing 3 of our higher earners, and you defending it saying we cant use some of that free cash is rubbish - as with all businesses we should have done C.F.F's for this season which would include these 3 players wages which no means this should be free cash to use.

The reason as fans we should feel conned is that season tickets would have been sold on the fact we had players like Tronc and Newton coming in and that we had one of the best players in the country with Broughy. Now that Brough and Newton have gone we are playing mind numbing rugby which in all honesty is boring and without the likes of Tronc up front we have no forward drive. So the money I spent on buying my season ticket to watch these 3 players has made me feel like I have been robbed as the club do not seem interested in trying to find a creative player so for the rest of the year it will be the same boring running it up from the play the ball.

I think and have said for a few weeks now that why not try a 7 that is playing in the championship - at worst we would be taking a punt on a player that would try and have some creative instinct.'"

Point 1 - All I have said is that money is tight - the club have never had anything different so if they find a player that will improve the squad, and they can afford, and is available, I'm sure they will try and get them.

Point 2 - Some of our players were signed after season tickets had been sold - there is no guarantee as to who may be on the playing roster - fit to play - at any one time.

Point 3 - Re Championship and NL1 players - see point 1.

Point 4 - Have a little patience - it's not what any of us wanted, but it is what it is and I am quite content that as much energy as is available is being used to maintain and improve this club. Like you, there are 1,000 things that I would do different but, until Ted rings me with a job offer, I will have to make do with giving him some grief when I speak to him - and I do pass on the feelings of supporters that I speak to and the comments made on here.

I may be a poodle - but I still have a bark! icon_cheers.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2267No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2011Feb 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
9109_1297720558.jpg
IKE - KALA - MAKIA - MANAWA - ALOHA - MANA - PONO.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_9109.jpg

Quote: TRB "
You are giving the club stick for the sale of Brough. At the time they still had hopes of getting Danny to sign a new deal - he didn't / wouldn't (probably because he'd already agreed to go elsewhere), so the club scouted around for the best available resource, identified that in Cooke and brought him to the club.

At the same time the only 'saleable' part of the deal was the balance of Danny's contract - around 6 month - and, given the poor financial position we were / are in, it was felt - on balance - that it was better to have the cash now, rather than a promise of nothing for tomorrow. I guarantee that over 95% of us would have done the same deal with full knowledge of the circumstances.

'"
sorry bud I dont buy that at all and your atempts at justification are sounding ever more desparate.

to sell your best player ... a few games into the final season of his contract, when sitting pretty in the league and looking reasonably good... doesnt smack of good business... it smacks of a directorship that desperately in need of money... if not the fee... then not spending on contract payment... I said in December that if then club sell Brough then it is because we have to! I thought that the money saved from the sacking of Newton paid fror Cooke... that was the press angle at the time!! IMO it was in the best interests of this club to keep its best players for as long as they are contracted!

I feel confident that the team with Danny Bough in it would NOT have lost the game yesterday!

further, to sell/swap your best young prospect for a no-hoper from bradford resreves is IMO even worse!!!

I am now of the opinion... and I shall say this only once as I am not interested in debate as it is my personal opinion, that the club will not move further under its current ownership.. it is time to let the club move on... for better or worse.

I actually like the people involved, but times change, and it has to [istop [/ibeing an incestious family concern!

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg
[color=#400000:2dasnjxb]"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"[/color:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#FF0000:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://www.swag-online.co.uk[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#0000FF:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://wakefield.rlfans.com[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15993.jpeg

Quote: underground "sorry bud I dont buy that at all and your atempts at justification are sounding ever more desparate.

to sell your best player ... a few games into the final season of his contract, when sitting pretty in the league and looking reasonably good... doesnt smack of good business... it smacks of a directorship that desperately in need of money... if not the fee... then not spending on contract payment... I said in December that if then club sell Brough then it is because we have to! I thought that the money saved from the sacking of Newton paid fror Cooke... that was the press angle at the time!! IMO it was in the best interests of this club to keep its best players for as long as they are contracted!

I feel confident that the team with Danny Bough in it would NOT have lost the game yesterday!

further, to sell/swap your best young prospect for a no-hoper from bradford resreves is IMO even worse!!!

I am now of the opinion... and I shall say this only once as I am not interested in debate as it is my personal opinion, that the club will not move further under its current ownership.. it is time to let the club move on... for better or worse.

I actually like the people involved, but times change, and it has to [istop [/ibeing an incestious family concern!'"

All fine by me.

I didn't get involved in the club because I knew Ted or any of the board / family. I got involved to help the club that represents me, my origins and my City. The fact that Ted is Chairman at this time is purely co-incidental, but he is and I have seen much of what he does to try and keep things afloat, and for that I believe we owe him respect and gratitude - much more so than, say, some billionairre American who rarely even shows up at the club!

However, at some stage there will be change in the ownership of the club, and we will all monitor that situation rigorously but, for now at the very least, Ted is the only man anywhere who can deliver us with a safe and stable future through the provision of a new home for the current and future generations.

There are some tough decisions - and until we get the concrete pouring, I believe that we are behind the 8 ball in terms of long term recruitment as we cannot guarantee a place in SL until then. We faced this problem directly with Broughy.

I do not wish to fall out over this issue - we are passionate about the same thing - but there is more to running the club and much more going on behind the scenes than most of us ever know or ever will know, but I maintain that most people would have done the Brough deal when faced with the issue - and JK was one of those involved in the situation as he too realises that the long term is far more vital than the current short term issues we are facing!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4171No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41054_1271014891.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41054.jpg

1 there cant have been an issue with brough re long term super league survival of WTRLFC that a clause in his contract could not have sorted out.
2. Re cooke signing, he was not a replacement for brough, hence all the "im looking forward to teaming up with brough" quotes, because he is not a scrum half for a start.
3. The brough deal was awful, and somehow put across as the best we could get! Think it was the best brough could get but us? nah.
4. Any more to go? theres more than just a sniff of a rumour flying about that there is, if not now, at the end of the season.
5. no ones saying anyone is a poodle, just think some of us are intellegent enough to question whats been put forward as fact.
6. As snowie said yesterday its chicken and egg time, no SL team pointless having a stadium, no stadium, no SL team, to use his egg analogy i think we are putting all ours in the stadium basket currently

I could go on, but actually its pointless, it really is at present.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4148
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
125_1389554653.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_125.gif

There isn't anyone else out there to take over the cub though, is there?

I seem to remember a meeting in 2001, Topliss said he wanted to get involved with the running of the club, but he wouldn't unless Ted left. What was that all about?

We have what we have and we have to deal with it. Unless one of us wins £50 mill on the Euros.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: TRB "Now that's a good one - and perhaps the club could / should have kept the lid on Pearman more at the time, but that's not going to change the current situation, is it?
The point on Pearman,was that nothing changes at Wakefield,the club constantly attempt to remove any responsibility away from themselves when things dont go well.And after years of listening to the constant excuses,i cant believe that people still accept this.
Taking the Brough situation in isolation,he was a contracted player -- Wakefield held all the cards.A deal should have been done before season started,i just dont buy the club were hoping he would sign - it seemed pretty clear months before that he wouldnt re sign.The club should have put a time limit on signing the new contract or with drawing it and that limit should have suited us.He could have played his contract out and yes i see the arguments for not retaining a player who wants to go,if we had enforced this,i dont think he could afford to risk under performing/wrong attitude etc --- how would it look to a prospective new employer.Even if Brough had decided to play"crap" deliberately and ended up playing reserves for a year -- this wouldnt encourage a new employer.
The whole Brough situation was mis managed in my opinion.
We had a highly regarded scrum half in Southernwood,we now have a full back -- WTF,we have Blaymire and Murphy already.Yet the vibes sent out around Southernwoods departure,once again were -- its not the clubs fault and far too many believe it.

If the Wakefield board told me it was blazing sunshine outside,i would still take my brolly out with me!

Sorry TRB,my love for my home town team will not falter,but the club has been badly managed for far too long.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: charlie "There isn't anyone else out there to take over the cub though, is there?

I seem to remember a meeting in 2001, Topliss said he wanted to get involved with the running of the club, but he wouldn't unless Ted left. What was that all about?

We have what we have and we have to deal with it. Unless one of us wins £50 mill on the Euros.'"

I really dont know who would take over.But i alledgedly that when Ted was last approached - he wanted silly money to relinquish control.He was interested in the amount of new investment to the club,only how much he would get from a loss making business!!!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach27039No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17219_1385659818.jpg
onetiger = half a cabbage The night is dark and full of terrors. Winter is coming.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17219.jpg

Quote: wakeytom "You seem to feel very happy that as supporters we have been conned - we must have money available to spend after losing 3 of our higher earners, and you defending it saying we cant use some of that free cash is rubbish - as with all businesses we should have done C.F.F's for this season which would include these 3 players wages which no means this should be free cash to use.

The reason as fans we should feel conned is that season tickets would have been sold on the fact we had players like Tronc and Newton coming in and that we had one of the best players in the country with Broughy. Now that Brough and Newton have gone we are playing mind numbing rugby which in all honesty is boring and without the likes of Tronc up front we have no forward drive. So the money I spent on buying my season ticket to watch these 3 players has made me feel like I have been robbed as the club do not seem interested in trying to find a creative player so for the rest of the year it will be the same boring running it up from the play the ball.

I think and have said for a few weeks now that why not try a 7 that is playing in the championship - at worst we would be taking a punt on a player that would try and have some creative instinct.'"

Who's this "we" you talk about.

Newton, not the clubs fault
Brough, wanted away and IMO the club made the best of it.
Tronc, well if he's not with us i don't want to watch/support him.

Can you give me inside knowledge on what the clubs "not doing" to find replacements, please.

I feel robbed by the players named above.

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg

1 there cant have been an issue with brough re long term super league survival of WTRLFC that a clause in his contract could not have sorted out.
In that case it wouldn't guarantee the individual a wage beyond our time in SL

2. Re cooke signing, he was not a replacement for brough, hence all the "im looking forward to teaming up with brough" quotes, because he is not a scrum half for a start.
Whatever you read - the truth is that both deals were ongoing at the same time, and we had full knowledge of what the outcome could be

3. The brough deal was awful, and somehow put across as the best we could get! Think it was the best brough could get but us? nah.
You may think that - but it's easy sitting on here!

4. Any more to go? theres more than just a sniff of a rumour flying about that there is, if not now, at the end of the season.
Of course - there always is with us - until we can secure our long term future in a viable home.

5. no ones saying anyone is a poodle, just think some of us are intellegent enough to question whats been put forward as fact.
You keep questionning - no problem with that - I'll keep replying as best I can and as honestly as I can - you choose to take it or leave it - no fuss!

6. As snowie said yesterday its chicken and egg time, no SL team pointless having a stadium, no stadium, no SL team, to use his egg analogy i think we are putting all ours in the stadium basket currently
Everyone at the club is aware of what needs to be done - as soon as it can and with what we can - as it ever was. I agree with you that it's no use being a bottom of the table side in a top of the table facility - we cannot afford to fall further behind and this is being addressed for the long term, but the short term is much harder.

I could go on, but actually its pointless, it really is at present.
I disagree - unlike Tronc did - I think it's time to show some backbone - swallow hard and get behind who we are, what we stand for and what we do! k020.gif

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg

Quote: charlie "There isn't anyone else out there to take over the cub though, is there?

We have what we have and we have to deal with it. Unless one of us wins £50 mill on the Euros.'"

That was Mark Woodhead, Toppo, the guy from Emley and that's it. They held a meeting at which the WE and myself (as Chair of WiSCA at the time) were invited.

They had a brass button and a book full of anti-Ted stories between them - much as it is on here really! icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach27039No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17219_1385659818.jpg
onetiger = half a cabbage The night is dark and full of terrors. Winter is coming.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17219.jpg

Quote: TURFEDOUT "The point on Pearman,was that nothing changes at Wakefield,the club constantly attempt to remove any responsibility away from themselves when things dont go well.And after years of listening to the constant excuses,i cant believe that people still accept this.
Taking the Brough situation in isolation,he was a contracted player -- Wakefield held all the cards.A deal should have been done before season started,i just dont buy the club were hoping he would sign - it seemed pretty clear months before that he wouldnt re sign.The club should have put a time limit on signing the new contract or with drawing it and that limit should have suited us.He could have played his contract out and yes i see the arguments for not retaining a player who wants to go,if we had enforced this,i dont think he could afford to risk under performing/wrong attitude etc --- how would it look to a prospective new employer.Even if Brough had decided to play"crap" deliberately and ended up playing reserves for a year -- this wouldnt encourage a new employer.
The whole Brough situation was mis managed in my opinion.
We had a highly regarded scrum half in Southernwood,we now have a full back -- WTF,we have Blaymire and Murphy already.Yet the vibes sent out around Southernwoods departure,once again were -- its not the clubs fault and far too many believe it.

If the Wakefield board told me it was blazing sunshine outside,i would still take my brolly out with me!

Sorry TRB,my love for my home town team will not falter,but the club has been badly managed for far too long.'"

Highly rated by who, i don't have the knowledge like some on here but certain posters who do have that knowledge have said differently, guys who have coached both players.

The clubs been badly managed at times for sure and its an uphill struggle just to keep it afloat BUT we are still alive and kicking (if softly and a bit girly)

Anyone have any answers to our problems.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1337No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2014Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: RDM "Murph, King & Korki were the few bright notes of the performance. With the exception of Davey who got a bad knock and is probably out for a few weeks now & Gledhill (who is surpassing all our expectations given his lack of experience), all the players in the team today are experienced players and should be able to play much better than that. Even though Cooke & BJ are looking better together, there was no real sign of creativity anywhere on the pitch.

We may have only lost by one try (a big factor in my frustrations with JD) but we were very lucky with the way that Kirmond's try came about and it certainly wasn't created by our team - more that we benefited from a Quins error.

Quins aren't a great side and they didn't play any better than when we played them at the start of the season. The fact that we have gone so far back in our performance levels cannot be ignored and needs to be addressed. You may want to keep your rose tinted glasses on if you want, but as JK has said this week our performances this year are of utmost importance given the franchise applications are considered during next season.

We've gone to so much effort as a club to get a new stadium sorted to satisfy that side of the application, but we now have a very real danger of seeing the on-pitch performances being the deciding factor and right now the performances are attrocious.'"
didn't one of their tries come from a dropped ball by blanche? thought some of the guys worked really hard yesterday and wasn't far off a win but to say they had a full team out minus golden and we had quite a few kids in doing a great job for us. lost davey early doors with a really bad cut and got some really crap decisions from bentham . think we did ok. look on the positive side. we can concentrate on the league now.

101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
101 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.388671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Accounts
faxcar
7m
bulls on Sunday
faxcar
9m