FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Time for some honesty.
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
International Star11887No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Quote: PopTart "I don't get the boring and dull thing.
OK the last game wasn't great but we weren't dull against Wigan the week before or in many many other games.

There are things to fix.... Mainly in the half backs and team organisers.... But they are fixable.'"

We were. If it weren’t for Johnstone’s bit of magic there was hardly anything to shout about. Every time we got to Wigan’s line we had no idea what to do and the attack fizzled out.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1319No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Eastern Wildcat "Something seems so wrong with this club at the moment.

How can we go toe to toe one week, against one of the top sides over the past 30 years, and then serve up something like this.

We have a coach, with 5 wins in about 23 games, an ex NRL player as captain, who seems undroppable, despite his last half decent game 2 seasons ago.

Add to this, our self appointed CEO goes away from social media. I do recall him saying when he became chairman back in August 2013, that the club need to be more transparent.'"

wigan was just as bad as us last week that is why we stuck with them ,

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1319No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Willzay "We were. If it weren’t for Johnstone’s bit of magic there was hardly anything to shout about. Every time we got to Wigan’s line we had no idea what to do and the attack fizzled out.'"

we have been terrible attacking our own line for about 3 years
Havent had a organzing halfback since tim smith

RankPostsTeam
International Star5187
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "I don't get the boring and dull thing.
OK the last game wasn't great but we weren't dull against Wigan the week before or in many many other games.

There are things to fix.... Mainly in the half backs and team organisers.... But they are fixable.'"

I am sorry but we are dull and were so against Wigan, the score was close but our 80 minute performance was basically dull and clueless like the vast majority of recent games. We do have many things to sort out, organisation, a kicking game, an attack and some sort of defence. If you look at Castleford tonight they threw the ball around, had a kicking game and defended for each other. I don’t know how many times I have seen our line being outflanked because we do not have the numbers.
The team spirit that would once have got us through games appear to have been squashed.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76816_1582258482.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76816.jpeg

What worries me in all this playing debacle is that we have to start selling season tickets with these performances fresh in the fans minds .Now I know the die hards will buy no matter what but it’s going to be a hard sell to anyone else,we desperately need the team to pull together and put some stirring performances back on the pitch as the damage this is doing to the fan base will have repercussions for years to come .

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4890
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3634.jpg
[IMG]//i50.tinypic.com/a59ff5.gif[/IMG]:3634.jpg

Quote: Kirmudgeonly "I think that is an issue but at the root of our problems is our lack of ball control and errors , completion rate has been abysmal for two years, penalty count the same. If you don’t complete your sets and give the opposition multiple chances in your own half - any team will lose .

Good clubs control the ball and play in the opposing half

Combination of the lack of control and our consistently atrocious kicking game Is where we consistently fail'"

Absolute bang on post coupled with silly penalties you have our problem.

This is the key area all the slagging off of coaches and players is laughable at times it's all about the basics and for a long time we are failing at this when we click we can give anyone a game when we don't we can be woeful. You get games when it doesn't happen but there are some areas where we can reduce the pressure on us.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20716
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: BOJ042 "wigan was just as bad as us last week that is why we stuck with them ,'"

And yet they are top of the league.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20716
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: REDWHITEANDBLUE "Absolute bang on post coupled with silly penalties you have our problem.

This is the key area all the slagging off of coaches and players is laughable at times it's all about the basics and for a long time we are failing at this when we click we can give anyone a game when we don't we can be woeful. You get games when it doesn't happen but there are some areas where we can reduce the pressure on us.'"

I agree.
And for me it is in the half backs

The forwards can defend well but not when they are making way more tackles than the opposition.
Same for the backs in attack. If you are getting the ball above your head you are slower to start your run and so are tackled easily.

Brough would have solved the issue but is just broken now so we need to find another.
Hampshire isn't that guy yet. Max is closer in some skills but not in others.

The issues against Catalan were multiple but for me they were simple ones that added together.
Ball control and getting players fit would change that result completely.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1331No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021May 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: financialtimes "I stopped reading all that as soon as I got to the bit about Sezer being the major difference at Hudds, as he has done sweet fanny Adams IMO, Gaskell has been the better half and they missed him more yesterday then the 20mins they were without sezer.
People need to realise that this season is a write off in all sense of the word bar 4 or 5 clubs who have a chance, the rest are all bit players. Plus with all this BLM shizzle from last week and the fact there are currently 9 SL payers testing positive for C-19 then things really need to be put in to perspective.
Just watch the season out, none of us are any worse of than we were yesterday morning, there's more important things going on in the world and on our doorstep
The major difference at Huddersfield has actually been the ability of our players in the 19-22 year age bracket to stand up when asked to play.

The Seniors, Jake Wardle, Hewitt, Sam Wood Matty English, Oliver Wilson etc and for example their ability to keep competing with a Warrington side who on paper were a better side and should have ‘stuffed us.’ especially with the injuries that we had. No ‘subs’ for the last 20 minutes.

We beat Saints away without Gaskell (injured after 4 minutes) and in four matches this season are 2/2 in games decided by two points or less.

Sezer and Gaskell are both good players but despite the publicity about Sezer we have improved more as a team in defence than just Sezer primarily due to improved ‘attitude.’ The ‘kids’ don’t know when to give up.

We benefitted from the injury crisis we had in the last two years as we were forced to blood 19/20 year olds and get some hard lessons from the better teams.

However that is now paying off with the form of the boys mentioned above ‘short term pain, long term gain’ you could do far worse if you have to do the same.

Yes you will have to watch blowouts like yesterday for example we got beat 0-44 at home by Leeds a true shocker, but the hard bit of blooding youngsters is they can’t always back up on performance week on week and us fans have to be patient during the bad games.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2645No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Obviously from a relegation point of view this.season does not matter , however what you do with it does.
Building a competitive teams not easy at the best of times but the remainder if the season needs to be used as a building program.
Give the squad members a chance and evaluate who to offer new contracts to then.
I think we have messed about with the playing quotas more than enough and would go as far to say that if CC knew his best squad some of the additions would have been unnecessary.
We should have more than enough cover from 1 to 6 before the recent signings even with a couple of injuries.
We need a scrum half desperately and our pack over run with average second rowers and loose forwards needs upgrading.
WE HAVE NO GRUNT IN THE FRONT ROW and someone who can run the shows needed.
Our more youthfull pack members need a good run out not in one week and out the next.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20187 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "I agree.
And for me it is in the half backs

The forwards can defend well but not when they are making way more tackles than the opposition.
Same for the backs in attack. If you are getting the ball above your head you are slower to start your run and so are tackled easily.

Brough would have solved the issue but is just broken now so we need to find another.
Hampshire isn't that guy yet. Max is closer in some skills but not in others.

The issues against Catalan were multiple but for me they were simple ones that added together.
Ball control and getting players fit would change that result completely.'"

I agree with the 'organising' by the half backs and the lack of quality ball going across the line. However, I feel that the first priority is with the forwards, they need to be making the yardage in order to give the backs more space. Get the opposition on the back foot and it makes it easier for everyone. Scooting from acting half also puts the opposition on the back foot and this is also an area that we seem to be lacking. Our last tackle play must be the worst in the league and I can never understand why when we try and kick on the last, our 'kicker' is nearly always under pressure from the opposition, whilst the opposition seem to have plenty of time and room to kick.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20716
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg

Quote: phe13 "I agree with the 'organising' by the half backs and the lack of quality ball going across the line. However, I feel that the first priority is with the forwards, they need to be making the yardage in order to give the backs more space. Get the opposition on the back foot and it makes it easier for everyone. Scooting from acting half also puts the opposition on the back foot and this is also an area that we seem to be lacking. Our last tackle play must be the worst in the league and I can never understand why when we try and kick on the last, our 'kicker' is nearly always under pressure from the opposition, whilst the opposition seem to have plenty of time and room to kick.'"

If you look at the stats our forwards actually made good ground. We just didn't do anything with it once they got where they were going.
For instance
Kopczek made the most carries with 19 and made 20 tackles with no misses. His average gain was only 6 but not terrible given the number of carries
Ashurst made 35 tackles with no misses. He made 10 carries averaging 8 metres
Pitts made 25 tackles missing 1. He only made 5 carries but averaged 10 metres for each.
Fifita made 26 tackles missing 2. Made 15 carries averaging 8.
Navarette seemed to always take the hard yards with 13 carries but averaging 5 but made 23 tackles and no misses.

The hookers made 56 tackles between them and only missed 2.

The telling stats to me are
5 missed tackles each for the centres, though Lyne made considerably more successful ones than Tupou.
And Kicks in general play, which are the end of set kicks.....Hampshire 3 Westerman 1 Ashurst 1 Wood 4 Fifita 1 Miller 4 .......... that is wrong on so many levels.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36069
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: Willzay "We were. If it weren’t for Johnstone’s bit of magic there was hardly anything to shout about. Every time we got to Wigan’s line we had no idea what to do and the attack fizzled out.'"

You do realise it doesn’t work like that. You could drop in any HB in the world and it wouldn’t make much difference if the rest of the team don’t do there jobs.

Apart from the two Woods nobody did on Saturday. Fifita taking every ball standing, he gets no flak on here but he was technically rubbish. What the hell was happening in the backs god knows, Lyne and Tupou non existent in both attack and defence.

No dummy runners, no support play, no running from deep, no offloads, no sliding defence, woeful ball retention, no kicking game - frankly there was no facet of the game we did even remotely well.

No HB can sort all that. You can’t create play if nobody is playing. About the only thing he could offer would be some better kicks, maybe.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20716
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg

Quote: vastman "You do realise it doesn’t work like that. You could drop in any HB in the world and it wouldn’t make much difference if the rest of the team don’t do there jobs.

Apart from the two Woods nobody did on Saturday. Fifita taking every ball standing, he gets no flak on here but he was technically rubbish. What the hell was happening in the backs god knows, Lyne and Tupou non existent in both attack and defence.

No dummy runners, no support play, no running from deep, no offloads, no sliding defence, woeful ball retention, no kicking game - frankly there was no facet of the game we did even remotely well.

No HB can sort all that. You can’t create play if nobody is playing. About the only thing he could offer would be some better kicks, maybe.'"

I get your point but I disagree about the one player making a difference bit. . If you put a good scrum half there that can organise, and maybe a fullback who can organise as well the team changes drastically.

Tim Smith had his faults but apart from a magical pass, the thing I liked about him was that he shouted orders and made people follow them. I've seen him run to a forward and actually drag him to the place he wants him to stand before making his pass.
That's what we need right now.
Tupou and Lyne didn't become bad defenders overnight. They were disorganised.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76816_1582258482.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76816.jpeg

We’ve been over this ground for the last few seasons , you could have a top Aussie pair of halfbacks but if the forwards don’t lay the platform for them its wasted opportunity every time . Our forwards were out gunned and out muscled by a more dominant pack which left all the back line with no where to go . People moan about mclloram’s tactics but not one player stood up to him and gave him some biff back. It a tough game and if you go in half hearted these are the type of scorelines you end up with. Wearing the shirt with pride and getting stuck in will go a long in any game.

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.85009765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do we want in the play-offs
Captain Hook
16m
Rumours thread
vastman
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Squad 2024
SingaporeFax
19s
Recruitment rumours and links
Boss Hog
31s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
38s
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
45s
Todays match v Saints
ratticusfinc
50s
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
56s
Shopping list for 2025
WIZEB
1m
Rumours thread
vastman
1m
RD 25 Hull FC H
christopher
1m
Captain Hook
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 26
FoxyRhino
TODAY
7pm
PopTart
TODAY
Captain Hook
TODAY
Tomkins last chance
Big Steve
TODAY
Ken Rollin
PopTart
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
just_browny
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Old Man John
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
AdamH
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
The Dentist
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
ratticusfinc
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +13,034 80,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20