JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Redscat "I'd happily settle for Shaun Wane. I don't particularly like the guy or his over aggressive style of play, but he certainly knows how to get the best out of players. If it meant watching a winning team I'd overlook his faults.'"

Going back to Wigan as Director of Rugby next season as well as coaching England.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2942
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sacred Cow "Going back to Wigan as Director of Rugby next season as well as coaching England.'"

Guess so!

Just what is the job description for a "Director of Rugby?" for 100+ years how did we manage to carry on without them?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20745
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Redscat "Guess so!

Just what is the job description for a "Director of Rugby?" for 100+ years how did we manage to carry on without them?'"

Because for a hundred years we were a part time sport.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach368No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

There aren’t that many SL / NRL Head coaches jobs in the mix so I hope we would have plenty of interest.

I would much rather take on a man manager coach than someone with all the technical knowledge but can’t get a tune out of anything.

Happy to support whoever gets the role and I hope we don’t see the flak flying at someone before the ink has even dried on a contract.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1333No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20187 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cats13 "There aren’t that many SL / NRL Head coaches jobs in the mix so I hope we would have plenty of interest.

I would much rather take on a man manager coach than someone with all the technical knowledge but can’t get a tune out of anything.

Happy to support whoever gets the role and I hope we don’t see the flak flying at someone before the ink has even dried on a contract.'"

I'll set the tone 'A N Other out!' icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2942
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "Because for a hundred years we were a part time sport.'"

Yes we were, PT, but that still doesn't tell me what their role is. It sounds very much like a term created to add a "name" to the staff roster, but does not have a definitive function within the organisation. Or has it replaced what was once referred to as club manager?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2744
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77371_1547338507.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77371.jpg

Apologies if it’s been mentioned elsewhere on the current coaching threads, but what’s happening now with the Five new signings. Gaskell is the only one so far confirmed. The other four I believe haven’t signed with Trinity. Does the temporary coach now conclude the signings, or does he want to choose his own players.? Nothing is ever straight forward with Trinity.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3728No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Redscat "Yes we were, PT, but that still doesn't tell me what their role is. It sounds very much like a term created to add a "name" to the staff roster, but does not have a definitive function within the organisation. Or has it replaced what was once referred to as club manager?'"

The exact role is defined by the individual club. Basically it’s a middle man between the board and the coaching staff. Some are more office based dealing with contracts, signings etc, think Sinfield at Leeds or Wells at Cas whilst some are more tracksuit roles field roles, like John Kear was here. Either way they can be useful if the roles are clearly defined and the role suits the clubs need.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3728No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dunkirk Spirit "Apologies if it’s been mentioned elsewhere on the current coaching threads, but what’s happening now with the Five new signings. Gaskell is the only one so far confirmed. The other four I believe haven’t signed with Trinity. Does the temporary coach now conclude the signings, or does he want to choose his own players.? Nothing is ever straight forward with Trinity.'"

Guess it depends whether the ‘signings’ we actual signing or agreements like Chesters contract was and not yet concluded. I’d guess any new coach would want to mould his own team rather than have the budget chewed up for the next couple of years with Chesters signings so it could be a deciding factor to any prospective new coach.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36072
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: Redscat "I'd happily settle for Shaun Wane. I don't particularly like the guy or his over aggressive style of play, but he certainly knows how to get the best out of players. If it meant watching a winning team I'd overlook his faults.'"

You have to temper that with the fact that at Wigan he had a huge budget and a conveyor belt of talent - he won’t have that with us. It takes a certain kind of coach to run a club like ours, pure discipline and aggression won’t work. We have compromise players and need a compromise coach who can get the most from the type of players we have. Kear in other words.

The last coach we had who was similar to Wane was McNally and that eventually came a cropper in a big way after a great start.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t welcome Wane but he’s unproven as a lesser team coach so it would be a cautious welcome.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2942
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sacred Cow "The exact role is defined by the individual club. Basically it’s a middle man between the board and the coaching staff. Some are more office based dealing with contracts, signings etc, think Sinfield at Leeds or Wells at Cas whilst some are more tracksuit roles field roles, like John Kear was here. Either way they can be useful if the roles are clearly defined and the role suits the clubs need.'"

Thanks for that, Sacred. A bit of a loose term then. It seemed to me that when the term first became fashionable it appeared to be a way of sacking a staff member who was no longer useful in that position, but pushing them "upstairs" yet retaining their presence within the club.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20745
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Redscat "Yes we were, PT, but that still doesn't tell me what their role is. It sounds very much like a term created to add a "name" to the staff roster, but does not have a definitive function within the organisation. Or has it replaced what was once referred to as club manager?'"

OK, I realise my answer was a bit flippant
Effectively the role of managing the team is bigger than it used to be.
They effectively split it so the coach is looking at strategy, game plan, assessing players, with his team of assistants.
The director or whatever title they give looks after contracts and agents and logistics of getting to grounds like Catalan that need something extra. I should think they manage the ground staff too.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5195
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I can’t believe it but I am agreeing with Vastman that Kear would be the ideal replacement. He obviously prefers to coach than be a Director of Rugby because that was the post he held at Wakefield when he went to Bradford.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach387
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

When everybody wanted CC out , it was bring Ker back . But I see he`s only just been mentioned. Paul Rowley is a coach who could muster his teams up for the battle ( literally ) We need a coach who can get the pack dominating the opposition , to give the half backs breathing space. Try talking Westerman in to a player / coaching position.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2691No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2022Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds blancs/The%20Elbonians.gif
:fonds blancs/The%20Elbonians.gif

Quote: westgaterunner "When everybody wanted CC out , it was bring Ker back . But I IT'S he`s only just been mentioned. Paul Rowley is a coach who could muster his teams up for the battle ( literally ) We need a coach who can get the pack dominating the opposition , to give the half backs breathing space. Try talking Westerman in to a player / coaching position.'"

Rowley's coaching methods are thuggish and only worked in the Championship.

123 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
123 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.06787109375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Toulouse away
Listenup94
8m
Film game
karetaker
11m