FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Schoey reckons.....
110 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20848
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: TRB "I'm not ignoring anything - but being a real fan (
I seem to remember you accusing me of having rose tinted glasses last year and I can't remember the word you used but had a go because I was not happy with those booing Tim Smith.
This year I am not a real fan because I can see we are not perfect.

I get the wink but make up your mind.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1360No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp019.gif
We put this festival on you ba****ds With whole lotta love We worked for one year for you pigs And you wanna break our walls down And you wanna destroy Well you go to hell:simpsons/simp019.gif

Quote: TRB "In RL Express this morning Schoey reckons we won't make the 8 again; that we relied on Bradford having points deducted and, probably rightly, that we wouldn't half miss Tim Smith if he was injured!

'"

He's not really wrong in my opinion, we played a fair few teams at the right time at the end of the season but fair play you can only beat whats infront of you but if we dont have Smith's form for the 2nd half of the season then we would have a real gap that needed filling in.

We are probably just a bit behind KR and Bradford, on a par with London and a bit infront of Widnes, Salford and Cas in my opinion and usually a fancied team under achieves and a unfancied team has a nice run but we should be in the mix for the 8th play off place realistically.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7665
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7372_1323373487.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7372.jpg

Every team in SL spends a large amount of time doing video analysis of their next opposition, they search for, find and then study the smallest traits in both the team and it's individuals. Tip sheets are produced by members of the coaching staff and every player MUST become familiar with them, they then make changes to the way they attack/defend some are so subtle you might not even notice and some are significant. Make no mistake, our opposition will do this prior to every game this year just as they did last year.
Tim Smith was not a surprise to opposition teams last year, they had studied him and the rest of the team and had a game plan to place him under pressure, they'll try the same this year but it isn't anything new and won't be something Tim Smith and Richard Agar haven't dealt with in every game.

IMO it won't be an extra factor for us to contend with in 2013

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg
[color=#400000:2dasnjxb]"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"[/color:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#FF0000:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://www.swag-online.co.uk[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#0000FF:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://wakefield.rlfans.com[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15993.jpeg

Quote: PopTart "I seem to remember you accusing me of having rose tinted glasses last year and I can't remember the word you used but had a go because I was not happy with those booing Tim Smith.
This year I am not a real fan because I can see we are not perfect.

I get the wink but make up your mind.'"

Lighten up man!

I never question anyones support as the level is something that cannot be measured and, whether Rose Tinted or not, we all (to coin a phrase) dream the same dream.

It's gonna be a good year! icon_cool.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1360No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp019.gif
We put this festival on you ba****ds With whole lotta love We worked for one year for you pigs And you wanna break our walls down And you wanna destroy Well you go to hell:simpsons/simp019.gif

Quote: The Clan "Every team in SL spends a large amount of time doing video analysis of their next opposition, they search for, find and then study the smallest traits in both the team and it's individuals. Tip sheets are produced by members of the coaching staff and every player MUST become familiar with them, they then make changes to the way they attack/defend some are so subtle you might not even notice and some are significant. Make no mistake, our opposition will do this prior to every game this year just as they did last year.
Tim Smith was not a surprise to opposition teams last year, they had studied him and the rest of the team and had a game plan to place him under pressure, they'll try the same this year but it isn't anything new and won't be something Tim Smith and Richard Agar haven't dealt with in every game.

IMO it won't be an extra factor for us to contend with in 2013'"

I thought "second season syndrome" was a generally accepted sporting phenominomininominom? How would you explain that? Granted it's not exactly the same as Smith is a seasoned pro and not a rookie breaking through but I think the wider point remains.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7665
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7372_1323373487.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7372.jpg

Quote: Tommy Duckfingers "I thought "second season syndrome" was a generally accepted sporting phenominomininominom? How would you explain that? Granted it's not exactly the same as Smith is a seasoned pro and not a rookie breaking through but I think the wider point remains.'"

For me, second season syndrome when considering an individual is more about form than it is about being suppressed by extra defensive pressure. Once you've got 5 or 6 games under your belt theres enough video footage available for the opposition to analyse you and pick up on traits that they can exploit. That means you're going into games in your first season already under pressure, you can deal with it and still play well or you can't. if you can't then experience will help you improve but it very rarely, if ever, makes you worse.

Second season syndrome when considering a team has more credence IMO, like it or not psychology plays its part even in well prepared, professional elite sportsmen and the mental state of a team is different dependent upon the subconsciously perceived challenge/danger ahead of them. If in 2012 Wakefield are perceived to be push overs then with the best will in the world you won't reach the same heightened mental state of readiness that you will when facing Warrington for example. In 2013 the perception of the threat level carried by Wakefield will be greater and therefore opposition teams are more likely to attain a greater heightened mental preparedness. Remember at this level of elite sport a minute fraction of a percentage can manifest as a significant change one way or the other.

I was going to say IMO but actualy it's all scientifically proven.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5771
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46978_1481681744.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46978.jpg

Quote: TRB "OK - I'm prepared to get shot down here - but why are so many of you so negative about what we can achieve this year?

Is it purely a matter of 'expect the worst and hope for the best' - if so, I can understand that, but I do think we have every reason to believe that we can go better than last year.

1 We have Poore / Lynne / Sykes / Lee Smith - from the start - which makes us stronger than this time last yesr.
2 We are settled
3 Our backup juniors are a year older
4 We only have one 'old man' and I wouldn't swap him for anyone in SL
5 We have perhaps the best SH in SL this year - on a par with Brough IMO
6 We have one of the best packs in SL IMO

OK, so there are reasons to believe that other squads will be better than last year, but for once, I'm looking up the table and not down it.

With a little luck, this year could be really exciting!
With you on this, it should be a great season, especially because of you're first point, much more strength in the starting 17 this year. Agree with you about Smith, he's pure class and I reckon he could be even better this year. Thinking about it our starting pack is quite exciting and lets hope we can keep them on the pitch together as much as possible this year.

Like Portart has said there's also some points of concern but there are many more positives to think about imo.

I think we'll get into the 8 by right this season not just because of Bradford's problems.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1321
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15377_1692752169.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15377.jpg

While it's technically right to say we only got 8th because of Bradford being deducted their points, you must also remember they were only there because they were spending £100,000 more than they could afford each month (or whatever it was), I'm pretty sure that if we had overspent by that amount we would have been higher up the table too!

I think we'll end up in a group of teams battling for 7-9th this season and I'd be happy with that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8360
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18923.jpg
ADAM WATENE & LEON WALKER R.I.P.:18923.jpg

Hopefully with a bit more consistency we can match what we achieved last year.
Its very unlikely that we'll win 7 on trot again therefore we need to hit the ground running, whilst still having plenty in the tank for the end of season.

The things to look forward to on the field (Smith+Pack) and the question marks around the team (ability to defend from kicks+teams knowing us) have been mentioned.

I am just looking forward to competing with most teams this year, and having a chance in each match.. winning some games and losing some, whilst seeing some decent rugby.

Role on bradford away.

RankPostsTeam
International Star52
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Sep 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Slugger McBatt "I think 7th is very doable. I'm not sure Hull KR will be stronger this year, and Bradford under an ex-assistant might struggle early on. Catalan might slip down the rankings too, and Huddersfield, with new unproven coaches (one of whom took Huddersfield on a slide right down the table). London could be the surprise package under Tony Rea, because they have a decent squad, and he has always done a good job in the past with them.

For me, the team of the year will be Saints. Add Nathan Brown and Willie Manu to what they already have and I think there is something pretty good there. Wigan are consistent but blow it on the crucial ones, and I just think the Wire backbone is getting a little old. Top 4 will be Saints, Wigan, Leeds and Wire, with Hull getting fifth. I think we are reasonably in the pack for the next 3 places, with as good a shot as all of them, and arguably in a more settled position than Bulls, Huddersfield and Catalan. Cas and Widnes scrapping for the bottom again.

As always, September will prove that I'm talking rubbish.'"

Huddersfield with new unproven coach, one of whom took Huddersfield down table? Aren't you forgetting that Nathan Brown who you sem to think is going to be the flavour of the season at saints was the man in charge when slide started. By the way I hope you do have a good season, but hope giants have a better one.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach447No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33542.jpg
:33542.jpg

Quote: Grezzler "If Cas make the 8 I'll 8 my hat. The way we dominated them when the team clicked strongly suggests the same will happen this season. Cas for the wooden spoon !!!'"

You mean like we did when we kicked your ass on Good Friday at your place.

Just think you guys are carrying too much faith in Mr Agar....second season syndrome me thinks icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6293
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
31007_1580947500.jpg
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_31007.jpg

Quote: nullius in verba "Huddersfield with new unproven coach, one of whom took Huddersfield down table? Aren't you forgetting that Nathan Brown who you sem to think is going to be the flavour of the season at saints was the man in charge when slide started. By the way I hope you do have a good season, but hope giants have a better one.'"

It does seem that he lost the dressing room, but most coaches do eventually. What is apparent that your improvement was immediately apparent when Nathan Brown came on board, and your mid-season slumps usually coincided with Nathan Brown announcing he was going home at the end the season. Perhaps he just lost his authority when the players knew he was going. They certainly thought they knew best at the semi-final and look where it got them.

I think you might be in the scrap for the 6th to 8th position, but that isn't where you have been the last few years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach389
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

This 2nd season syndrome can also be an advantage, just watch any opposition next season who in a close final 10 minutes with the scores equal be running out to smother Sykesy from a field goal attempt, this will then show gaps in other parts of the pitch, We will have learnt from last season & probably put a bit of doubt in to opposing teams minds, in fact on the warm ups before kick off we should have Sykesy practicing 1 pointers !

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Some of what Tim Smith does is undefendable - how do you coach to defend that Benji Marshall style, no-look pass he threw on Sunday to put Wildie away for example? He also seems, despite his ungainly running style, to have a step off either foot that will leave a few standing.

The long, cut-out pass might be a different animal - I guess if you're defending outside him there might be an opportunity to intercept, but it takes bottle and has to be executed right; getting it wrong will be costly.

One thing's for sure - if he carries on where he left off last season, he could easily be one of the most exciting players in SL and certainly, one of the best hb's; on song, he's easily as good as Broughy and not far off Dureau and Gower, albeit with different strengths to the latter two - I'd say his kicking game is weaker, but he's a far better passer of the ball.

Tim Smith - the Wakefield Wizard and subject of my new man-crush.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20370No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

For me the halves are the key. Sykes was a revelation for me at 6 last year, showing career best form and in my opinion a little unlucky not to get International recognition.

Smith was also excellent but my concern with him is he has a history if struggling when the pressure and focus is on him. I think he thrives in the big fish small pond mentality and his form last year will mean he will be under more pressure this.

The fact he is a passing half rather than a line breaker will increase the importance of his team mates and coach. At times during his Wigan career he was targeted and went missing as he had no support runners and this affected his confidence. I hope he gets the support runners this year.

I see no reason why top 8 is not realistic. In my opinion 7th down will be a real dog fight and I see no reason why Wakefield should not be in the mix for that.

110 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
110 posts in 8 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.89599609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
33m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
Recent
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
Recent
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
Recent
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Leyther in n
2m
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
4m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
7m
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
7m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
8m
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
9m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
11m
Squad 2024
faxcar
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,697 ↓-13780,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 7 252 72 180 14
Sheffield 6 214 62 152 12
Widnes 7 190 97 93 12
Featherstone 7 192 132 60 10
Bradford 7 145 129 16 8
Swinton 6 128 116 12 6

Doncaster 6 142 152 -10 6
Toulouse 6 120 109 11 4
Batley 6 95 130 -35 4
Whitehaven 6 97 173 -76 4