FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Room for manoeuvre.
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34595_1297504122.jpg
[color=#BF0000:1qi6asc8]WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.[/color:1qi6asc8] [color=#0000FF:1qi6asc8]I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE[/color:1qi6asc8]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34595.jpg

Quote: PopTart "Selling our best players is just a signpost to second division.
We need to keep the team together, trim the fat and get an organiser in to run the show on the field.'"

Buying old players or players from the championship will get us relegated. The pack is getting old and selling might be our only way to rebuild the team. Would I trust Chester to do it absolutely not he’s no idea. Who would you see as our best players imo TJ when he’s fit and he could be so much better with some guidance and maybe tangenoa, you might think bill or fafita but they just don’t look the same to me. In fact the way we are playing which players do we actually miss when they don’t play

RankPostsTeam
International Star5053
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

We need to keep the team together, trim the fat and get an organiser in to run the show on the field.'"

and if we can keep them we should but what if selling TJ was the only way we could afford to sign a very high quality half back, someone better than Sezer, maybe Foran or Cherry Evans (I know I’m dreaming but trying to make a point).

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3728No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Avenger "Read the post and you’ll know it was a hypothetical example!

Loan players still need paying, let him go don’t replace him, add that wage to the other saved wages and let a new coach decide where to spend it. It’s not hard to understand that.

Let’s advertise the job and see who reply’s, maybe approach Anthony Griffin the former Penrith coach who was on the shortlist for the St George and Brisbane Head Coaches job. He has a 58% winning record in the NRL with unfancied squads of players.

We might be shocked at who become a possibility if/when the job becomes available!'"

Griffin got the Dragons job.

My personal choice would be the Ward/ Langley combo from London. Along with Poching that would be a pretty decent coaching set up. If they wanted to bring their conditioning team with them as well then great, London looked one of the fittest teams around last year.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain21No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BarnsleyGull "Why Joe???
Also Tangata is on loan.
And whose going to be the new coach?'"

Avenger is spot on. Sort the coach first.

The front runners amongst the coaching candidates from these shores, if available (big question mark), have to be Danny Ward, James Ford and, more unlikely, John Kear.

If none of the above can be tempted then looking at overseas coaches, which would most likely be a stretch on our budget, maybe former player Steve Georgallis could be tempted to come over and prove himself like Justin Holbrook did with a view to getting a gig back in the NRL if he has success with us. His record does not look too crash hot since he took over at the Bulldogs this season but, having watched nearly every NRL game since the restart, the dogs have improved dramatically under his stewardship – and he has achieved that with a limited talent pool. He is being replaced by Trent Barrett at the end of the season and currently can’t get a gig as an assistant over in Aus so maybe an option.

The incoming coach will obviously have to take a look at the whole playing roster. However, whoever comes in is going to have to bring in the best organiser (Declan Patton is not the answer) we can afford as a priority signing and in order to do that there would have to be a few casualties.

Re the out of contract players, I would say thank you for their services to the club. Of the loanees, I would only be tempted to retain Battye if we can.

The positions which urgently need looking at are full back, half back and prop. We have assembled too many full backs at the club. Hampshire, a la Dufty at the Dragons, should be first choice with one of Walker or Jowitt in reserve – not both. Did not understand the Gigot signing but guess he has utility value across the back line – probably stuck there. OK with Miller as a running half but Jowitt or Declan Patton or Hampshire or Gigot are not the organising half back partner we need. At prop, we have got Fifita (if he stays) / Green / Battye (if he signs permanently). I like the look of Aydin but he needs time to develop and at the moment is a fifth/sixth choice prop.

For me, we need to say goodbye to the OOC players and loanees save for Battye and bring in one organising half and two more props.

We have a decent nucleus of players. We ‘just’ need a) a coach who can motivate, get the players fit and bring structure to our attack and defence and b) a decent organiser and strong captain to deliver all that on the field.

Sounds so easy but given finances...

RankPostsTeam
International Star915No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

That's where were heading with our so-called best players what's the differanceold cockrr

RankPostsTeam
International Star5139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: alegend "This is the problem with some of the Wakefield fans We can not get rid of Mr Chester who will take over.Bet the HKR fans are happy now Tony Smith is there ,Know I would be if he was at Wakefield .Think we should use a lot of next years cash for new players to go out and get the best coach we can .Think we are seeing Mr Chester wasted the money this year. So spend it on a Coach'"

I don't think any problems at this club are down to the Wakefield fans.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2990
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I thought the consensus was that Chester isn't up to the job.
EG: We don't have any attacking structure,we don't have any defensive structure,Chester has lost the dressing room etc....
People have commented that we have talented players,the problem is that they aren't being coached effectively.

Therefore,no need for wholesale changes to the squad.
Find a new coach that (hopefully) can get the best out of the talent we have.
Let the new coach decide where we need to strengthen (including backroom).
We will all have opinions on where we think the key positions are that need strengthening,seems everyone agrees (even Chester himself) - we urgently need an on field General in the half backs.
Personally i would let the natural wastage (OOC and loan) run its course,but wouldn't rush into selling contracted players.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4130No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34595_1297504122.jpg
[color=#BF0000:1qi6asc8]WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.[/color:1qi6asc8] [color=#0000FF:1qi6asc8]I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE[/color:1qi6asc8]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34595.jpg

Quote: little wayne69 "I don't think any problems at this club are down to the Wakefield fans.'"

You are absolutely correct the chairman or whatever he’s called now and the coach have received unbelievable support from the fans

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3728No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Eastern Wildcat "Out of the ones leaving, Brough hasn't been replaced properly, albeit Gigot coming in.

With Kirmo and Atkins, I would say that these were two of the bigger contracts, but aren't first choice. Most centres and second rows these days, players can fill these and be utilized in both, so you may get away with only replacing one. Didn't we also bring in a second rower, and immediately send him out on loan.

Also bearing in mind that the Fifita situation is now resolved, we don't know the full resolution of this just yet. He could be getting himself back to full fitness, or he could have been released, clearing budget, cap and quota space.

There is also the Toronto situation. If it goes pear shaped for TW, could there be a firesale of players. Aren't there two front rowers there who spent time on loan with us, putting in decent shifts.

For me, the Brough part of this, player wise, is the key.'"

I don't think Brough will be on as much as you think. I'm led to believe he left with a year remaining on his Huddersfield deal and signed a lower value two year deal with us for the the longer term security but with Hudds paying him 40K on top of his wage from us during that first year. After that it was just our lower salary. It'll not be buttons but won't free up masses. LIkewise Kirmond signed up for this year on less as a player but with a coaching role with the reserves to make up the extra. Given the reserves are on hold next year due to cost cutting i imagine that cash will disappear. Don't know about Atkins but as a last hurrah in superleague deal i doubt it would have been a fortune.

Personally i'd move Fifita on. He is our biggest earner and recent events haven't shown him in the best light. If Catalans want to take his wage on and chuck a bit of money in our direction then i'd snatch their hand off. As for TJ whether he would still want to go to the NRL given his upcoming change in personal circumstances i don't know but i doubt anyone in this country can afford a decent transfer fee this year so he might stay by default. But if he does want to go then in my opinion it wouldn't be right to stop him if the deal is good for us as well.

As for the OCC players i'd move the two 30-something's on. Given he is still young for a prop i might be tempted to keep Gwaze if the price is right with a view to getting him out on loan in the championship to see how he continues to develop.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain376No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

For me recruitment as been shocking not the standard of quality of players but the postions example we had/have 2 more than adiquit full backs but a walker signed then even though wd now have 3 gigot is signed for me those 2 signings wearnt needed

RankPostsTeam
International Star5053
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg

Quote: TURFEDOUT "I thought the consensus was that Chester isn't up to the job.
EG

No ones leading with the idea that we should sell our best players!

You’ve agreed that letting off contract players go and not yet replacing them is the right way to go also that loan agreements should expire, players go back to their parent club and we don’t replace them meaning their wages are saved.
That alone will create a bit of room for movement regarding the recruitment of some quality where it’s needed.

However, if a new Head Coach sees a high quality half back as a priority and the only way to raise the funds is to accept an offer from St George - Illawarra for TJ and Tom himself is thinking of going then the Head Coach should be the one who makes that call.
Cash in on TJ and sign Mitchell Pearce for example. Tom is a magnificent player but maybe recruiting a player like DCE, Pearce or Nikorima would be greater for the team than having a superb winger.

Like I said before, all hypothetical but let a new Head Coach have the money and make the big decisions on players in and out!

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2804
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20187 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76475_1531151403.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76475.png

I don`t get the people questioning who there is outside of Chester to come in as coach, surely at this point anyone is better? We are clueless, there must be 20 experienced assistant coaches in SL that we would have the pick off - Rich Marshall, Andrew Henderson, Sheridan, Orr, Deacon, Rowley - Give them ago for the rest of the season?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3070
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
76901_1662991480.jpg
We're all Trin aren't we?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_76901.jpg

Quote: The Avenger "Do you actually read the posts properly before replying?

I suggested that we find ways of building a wages kitty and let the new Head Coach decide where to spend it.

As for selling Bill, I said let the new coach assess and decide on further cuts or changes

'"

I was joking FFS.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1374No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2022Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Am ya papi:

Quote: homme vaste "I don`t get the people questioning who there is outside of Chester to come in as coach, surely at this point anyone is better? We are clueless, there must be 20 experienced assistant coaches in SL that we would have the pick off - Rich Marshall, Andrew Henderson, Sheridan, Orr, Deacon, Rowley - Give them ago for the rest of the season?'"

Question is why are they assistants and what happens if we give them a go and end up in a worse position.

You just can't make a comment like that and not think of the backlash.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5053
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg

Quote: BarnsleyGull "I was joking FFS.'"

Were you, there wasn’t anything in your post that gave that away, maybe I missed something

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.431640625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
Uncle Rico
23m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
Recent
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
Recent
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
Recent
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
2m
tad rhino
2m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
2m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
3m
Season 2024
tomtom84
3m
Uncle Rico
3m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
4m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Lower Crease
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,885 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22