OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "Just watched it back.
Clearly a penalty.
Crowther may not have intended it but he was on the wrong side of the ruck and didn't get out of the way.

Whetger you like it or not it's the rule and the Hooker had every right to pass the ball.
22.11 mins on Trinity TV if you want to look.'"

So if Jordan wasn’t there the ball would’ve reached the first receiver, I don’t think so , you can defend it till the cows come home, there’s things put in place called “ referees discretion “ but he chose a player conning him instead, so again he’s as guilty

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20713
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: Big lads mate "So if Jordan wasn’t there the ball would’ve reached the first receiver, I don’t think so , you can defend it till the cows come home, there’s things put in place called “ referees discretion “ but he chose a player conning him instead, so again he’s as guilty'"

Sorry I don't see it that way.
I'll watch it again but I think the problem was that Jordan didn't move. He tried to avoid but didn't.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3656
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/eye6.gif
:Others/eye6.gif

Certainly not a cheat, just a poor ref unfortunately.

I was at a Hull KR game earlier in the year, and he was the ref in that game. He was just as poor, then, as he had been for us in the past couple of weeks.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5043
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
72289_1398805144.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_72289.jpg

Quote: Mick Amos 9 WTW "As I mentioned on the other thread. The attacker cannot deliberately throw the ball at a defender which he did whether wrong side or not. He must have been all of 1 1/2 foot high in the crouch position. Unless the receiver is 3 foot high the pass wasn't going to another player. He clearly throws it down towards the defender which is a penalty to us.

Having watched it back I'm astounded how much Dave gets held down but pinged for 4 pens himself. The offsides is debatable whether the linesman was telling him but they usually do.

The RFL statement readconsider Section 15 (i) of the Laws of the Game which state that a player is guilty of misconduct if he behaves in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game.

“This does not in any way absolve a defender of his responsibilities to clear the ruck and the defending team will still be penalised should the Match Official deem he is interfering with play.”'"

No you’re wrong!

The review by the RFL only opens up the option for the Referee to “consider” awarding a penalty for misconduct, it doesn’t dictate that he must!

Ben Thaler opts to ignore these incidents and tells the players to get on with it. Robert Hicks seems to give the penalty to the attacking side. Other Referees have very occasionally awarded the misconduct penalty.

I’d like to see Referees en block, award the misconduct penalty which would soon bring an end to the cynical grubby tactic altogether.

RankPostsTeam
International Star567No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Calm Waters don't make good sailors If you help somebody as you go along then your life hasn't been in vain:

Quote: The Avenger "No you’re wrong!

The review by the RFL only opens up the option for the Referee to “consider” awarding a penalty for misconduct, it doesn’t dictate that he must!

Ben Thaler opts to ignore these incidents and tells the players to get on with it. Robert Hicks seems to give the penalty to the attacking side. Other Referees have very occasionally awarded the misconduct penalty.

I’d like to see Referees en block, award the misconduct penalty which would soon bring an end to the cynical grubby tactic altogether.'"

We went through a phase maybe 12 months ago, slightly more after this announcement of the referees penalising the cheat. This hasn't been followed through. Technically when I said penalty to us is wrong, they can say play on, I agree but to penalise the defender is woeful. It's the way the games going sadly and it's disgraceful. Cheating is rewarded in many areas.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1319No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

we won ugly and that is what we needed and will need to do for the rest of the season!

great job all concerned

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

I don't buy the view that the ref was cheating - he was incompetent and out of his depth - but not cheating.

With regards the now infamous passing the ball into a defender deliberately - the frustrating thing about that is we now have a new inconsistency; as someone else said, Ben Thaler is in the habit of admonishing the attacker and waving play on - Robert Hicks seems to go either way - but this lad was willingly old-manned by a blatant and obvious deliberate act. He chose not to exercise the discretion he's been awarded by Ganson, and just went straight for the penalty - the result being that the player and the coach involved will continue to use that strategy.

I was fulsome about Big Dave straight after the match btw - I also want to echo the comments about Reece Lyne; I hear howls of frustration about his sideways runs from the terrace, but these days, they are causing absolute chaos in defensive lines and setting up some scores - he's probably one of the most improved players we've had for some years. Lovely stuff.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: bren2k "I don't buy the view that the ref was cheating - he was incompetent and out of his depth - but not cheating.

With regards the now infamous passing the ball into a defender deliberately - the frustrating thing about that is we now have a new inconsistency; as someone else said, Ben Thaler is in the habit of admonishing the attacker and waving play on - Robert Hicks seems to go either way - but this lad was willingly old-manned by a blatant and obvious deliberate act. He chose not to exercise the discretion he's been awarded by Ganson, and just went straight for the penalty - the result being that the player and the coach involved will continue to use that strategy.

I was fulsome about Big Dave straight after the match btw - I also want to echo the comments about Reece Lyne; I hear howls of frustration about his sideways runs from the terrace, but these days, they are causing absolute chaos in defensive lines and setting up some scores - he's probably one of the most improved players we've had for some years. Lovely stuff.'"

I think nowadays there is on this forum a truly pedantry mentality (not a dig at you).

You're right of course he wasn't cheating in the true sense of the word but in RL calling the ref a cheat has a different meaning, I think we have all been around long enough to know that. However for those who don't, people mean that he cheated us out of and advantage we should have got by beingeither incompetant or as in this case gutless, in that he didn't have the bottle to pull a player for blatant cheating.

Basically he wasn't cheating personally but he was IMO sanctioning cheating. I say this because it doesn't matter how many times you view it and despite poptarts pleading he could not have missed it! In that sence he cheated the fans by willfully not making the correct call.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: vastman "I think nowadays there is on this forum a truly pedantry mentality (not a dig at you).

You're right of course he wasn't cheating in the true sense of the word but in RL calling the ref a cheat has a different meaning, I think we have all been around long enough to know that. However for those who don't, people mean that he cheated us out of and advantage we should have got by beingeither incompetant or as in this case gutless, in that he didn't have the bottle to pull a player for blatant cheating.

Basically he wasn't cheating personally but he was IMO sanctioning cheating. I say this because it doesn't matter how many times you view it and despite poptarts pleading he could not have missed it! In that sence he cheated the fans by willfully not making the correct call.'"

I tend to agree - but this is a form of pedantry that feels worth sticking with; we've all seen what's happened to referees in recent years - with one example being absolutely tragic. My view is that they are not sufficiently well trained, supported or developed - and that the directions they are given are chaotic and confusing, hence the inconsistency we see on the field from game to game. We talk a lot about wanting 2 refs, but at the rate we are losing them from the game, we won't even have enough for 1 per game.

I don't like to hear a stadium full of people chanting "cheat" or "wanxer" at a young fella - particularly when a lot of what they get wrong is because they are not sufficiently supported by the governing body, who seem happy to chop and change based on the new holy grail of 'speeding up the game.'

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: bren2k "I tend to agree - but this is a form of pedantry that feels worth sticking with; we've all seen what's happened to referees in recent years - with one example being absolutely tragic. My view is that they are not sufficiently well trained, supported or developed - and that the directions they are given are chaotic and confusing, hence the inconsistency we see on the field from game to game. We talk a lot about wanting 2 refs, but at the rate we are losing them from the game, we won't even have enough for 1 per game.

I don't like to hear a stadium full of people chanting "cheat" or "wanxer" at a young fella - particularly when a lot of what they get wrong is because they are not sufficiently supported by the governing body, who seem happy to chop and change based on the new holy grail of 'speeding up the game.''"

My lad started a reffing course last year, did two matched then dropped out due to a total lack of guidence, which is tragic because he was really up for it. You are right the training of our refs is beyond a joke and they do get no support. The head of refereeing clearly just wants to be a TV pundit, is it just me or does him being on SKY commenting on his charges performances just seem wrong. Rugby League is imo weakest at the top.

That said on this occasion that does not excuse the reff imo.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: vastman "My lad started a reffing course last year, did two matched then dropped out due to a total lack of guidence, which is tragic because he was really up for it. You are right the training of our refs is beyond a joke and they do get no support. The head of refereeing clearly just wants to be a TV pundit, is it just me or does him being on SKY commenting on his charges performances just seem wrong. Rugby League is imo weakest at the top.

That said on this occasion that does not excuse the reff imo.'"

Cummings isn't the boss anymore is he - I thought that was Ganson now?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: bren2k "Cummings isn't the boss anymore is he - I thought that was Ganson now?'"

I know but I think he was when he started doing it, might be wrong.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: vastman "My lad started a reffing course last year, did two matched then dropped out due to a total lack of guidence, which is tragic because he was really up for it. You are right the training of our refs is beyond a joke and they do get no support.'"

That's a real shame - and probably one example of many.

I used to be involved in the junior game, and even at that level, watched young lads get absolutely slaughtered by players, coaches and spectators (parents) when they were doing their referee qualifications - and it seems to continue right through to SL level; how many of them have the will to go on become professional referees, I don't know, but I would bet that its very few. Despite the cheating, gamesmanship, player errors and lack of understanding of rules by many spectators and even pundits, it's always the ref who gets criticism. Every Sky game includes audible footage of the ref being abused by the crowd and sometimes players and coaches, all the while, Eddie and co analysing every decision and proclaiming whether the ref was right or wrong, with Cummings gleefully dissecting and pronouncing judgement - much of which finds it way on here as a direct result - wrong or right.

I'm not in any way saying they always get it right - but I remain firm in my conviction that the ones we've got are *not* cheats - they are simply doing their best with a system that doesn't help them; and whilst the governing body tinkers with the edges, coaches and players devise new and more devious ways to cheat, and refs are left high and dry trying to understand how to interpret and deal with thousands of incidents in every game they oversee.

I say it every year - but the RFL need to reset around rules and how the game will be officiated; let every coach and player know what the new standard is; then implement it ruthlessly and without compromise for as many games as it takes to change behaviour - and sod whether it means the opening rounds are penalty-fests - that will be the fault of players and coaches, not referees.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20713
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

I agree Bren

The problem is exacerbated by the rules being more finicky.
I used to moan about rugby union because they were penaltyfests as every step could be penalised around a ruck or maul.
They learned from us and let a lot go now to make it easier to watch.
We have made our play the ball so strict it is going back to their way.
Needs to be that if the ball doesn't obviously go forward or if the interference doesn't actually impede play then just play on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: bren2k "That's a real shame - and probably one example of many.

I used to be involved in the junior game, and even at that level, watched young lads get absolutely slaughtered by players, coaches and spectators (parents) when they were doing their referee qualifications - and it seems to continue right through to SL level; how many of them have the will to go on become professional referees, I don't know, but I would bet that its very few. Despite the cheating, gamesmanship, player errors and lack of understanding of rules by many spectators and even pundits, it's always the ref who gets criticism. Every Sky game includes audible footage of the ref being abused by the crowd and sometimes players and coaches, all the while, Eddie and co analysing every decision and proclaiming whether the ref was right or wrong, with Cummings gleefully dissecting and pronouncing judgement - much of which finds it way on here as a direct result - wrong or right.

I'm not in any way saying they always get it right - but I remain firm in my conviction that the ones we've got are *not* cheats - they are simply doing their best with a system that doesn't help them; and whilst the governing body tinkers with the edges, coaches and players devise new and more devious ways to cheat, and refs are left high and dry trying to understand how to interpret and deal with thousands of incidents in every game they oversee.

I say it every year - but the RFL need to reset around rules and how the game will be officiated; let every coach and player know what the new standard is; then implement it ruthlessly and without compromise for as many games as it takes to change behaviour - and sod whether it means the opening rounds are penalty-fests - that will be the fault of players and coaches, not referees.'"

All you say is correct but in my lads case that wasn't the issue, he's thick skinned, don't know where that comes from. No it was the lack of organisation ie not knowing where he was to officiate til the last munute. Then turning up there expecting to find his mentor and his kit only for neither to materialise. In his first game he had to borrow an old club top and where the leisure shorts he's arrived in - that's more demeaning than any fan abuse. So it went on, dates for interviews and tutorials cancelled and endless postponements of matches etc.

In the end he did get a kit, one that didn't fit and looked circa 1998 to me. It was diabloical, I knew it wouldn't be slick but we never expected it to be so disorganised, I wouldn't even call it amaturist tbh as it was nowhere near that good.

IMO he'd have made a good ref but at 26 the clock is ticking and I don't see any sign of him hirrying back but then why would he as nobody has bothered to get in touch to see why he stopped attending - incredible!

173 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
173 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.310546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
Wanderer
4m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
5m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
14m
Whitehaven
wrencat1873
15m
Hull live/Tomlinson
Cuddleclub
20m
2024 Disciplinary
matt_wire
23m
Betting 2024
karetaker
28m
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
34m
George Williams
Uncle Rico
41m
Staying down after head contact
B0NES
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
22s
Lee Briers joins St Helens coaching staff
Deus Dat Inc
22s
George Williams
Uncle Rico
24s
Whitehaven
wrencat1873
25s
Hudds
RfE
28s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
29s
Shopping list for 2025
Dave K.
30s
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
30s
Todays match v Saints
The Speculat
49s
Leeds Rhinos - Away
Ellam
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Ken Rollin
REDWHITEANDB
TODAY
Max
PopTart
TODAY
Play-offs
Deeeekos
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
newcat
TODAY
George Williams
Uncle Rico
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
B0NES
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
Cuddleclub
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
The Speculat
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
Zig
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
TODAY
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six After Destroying Hull FC
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +23,602 ↓-2380,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
Hudds W
v
Wire W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20