FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Trinity players not taking the knee. Club statement
113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1374No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2022Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Am ya papi:

Quote: Willzay "Unfortunately, it looks like the stance has attracted some new “fans”.

The comments are embarrassing

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1385
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Well done to the players for taking a common sense view to this issue.
Well done to the club for not putting any pressure on players to take the knee.
I too hate racism of any form and I abhor what our ancestors did regarding slavery, but as it was all a little before my time fail to see what I personally can do about it now, except express regret for what WAS done generations ago, (concerning the UK) and express disgust that it still does go on in some parts of the world.

FSW
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain224No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Surely actions matter more than gestures.
What is the point of "taking the knee" if you have any sympathy with racist actions whilst not "taking the knee" but living a non racist life is very much to be applauded.
"taking the knee" has become part of our current gesture politics and so far hasn't achieved anything tangible. So, at what point in the future will people decide that a gesture is pointless unless backed by positive action and if the positive action takes place, the gesture becomes pointless.
In reality, racism in some form or other will be endemic in society for ever. When do we decide that not "taking the knee" would be possible?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Ghost of '99 "Just as people should be free not to take a knee, people should be free to take one and I do wonder to what degree Wakefield's approach was in response to, say, a determined expression of the views of club management - I find it hard to believe that nobody in the squad would choose to do it given a fully free choice.'"

Tbh what I find more unbelievable is that whole teams from every other club did, there’s a curious form of facism inherent to this and many ways to express support anti racism other than this.

I actually don’t believe in defunding the police, advocating self policing by the community , restitution for historic inequities etc. so find it very strange that people who would suffer greatly - eg 99 percent of the UK population.

And before anyone gets on their high horse my grandfather was enslaved by bevan from 1939 to 1948, moved from his home and family with his only alternative to going being jail, if we are talking about colour we have suffered and seen significant racism both deliberate and institutionally.

For all of that I believe in free speech and universal and even application of the law

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: FSW "Surely actions matter more than gestures.
What is the point of "taking the knee" if you have any sympathy with racist actions whilst not "taking the knee" but living a non racist life is very much to be applauded.
"taking the knee" has become part of our current gesture politics and so far hasn't achieved anything tangible. So, at what point in the future will people decide that a gesture is pointless unless backed by positive action and if the positive action takes place, the gesture becomes pointless.
In reality, racism in some form or other will be endemic in society for ever. When do we decide that not "taking the knee" would be possible?'"

Well said

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36014
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: The Ghost of '99 "Just as people should be free not to take a knee, people should be free to take one and I do wonder to what degree Wakefield's approach was in response to, say, a determined expression of the views of club management - I find it hard to believe that nobody in the squad would choose to do it given a fully free choice.'"

Yet strangely you don’t find it strange tha 17 players do take the knee. Incredible double standard and a disgusting attempt to slur individuals. Why on earth would the club be bothered either way, MC has never shown any political bias either way. Really poor of you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Quote: Kirmudgeonly "I actually don’t believe in defunding the police, '"

Almost anyone who took any time to look at what that actually means in its American context would support it - it means removing from Police the budgets which require them to deal with mental health, opiods and reallocating that budget to people who can actually deal with them (like in the UK).
It would also stop them wasting money on the sort of ridiculousely inappropriate military equipment that American police forces love to unveil - https://twitter.com/JBaker_WTOV/status/ ... 3510242308

In a UK context defund the Police is largely meaningless.
Quote: Kirmudgeonly "I actually don’t believe in defunding the police, '"

Almost anyone who took any time to look at what that actually means in its American context would support it - it means removing from Police the budgets which require them to deal with mental health, opiods and reallocating that budget to people who can actually deal with them (like in the UK).
It would also stop them wasting money on the sort of ridiculousely inappropriate military equipment that American police forces love to unveil - https://twitter.com/JBaker_WTOV/status/ ... 3510242308

In a UK context defund the Police is largely meaningless.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: The Ghost of '99 "Almost anyone who took any time to look at what that actually means in its American context would support it - it means removing from Police the budgets which require them to deal with mental health, opiods and reallocating that budget to people who can actually deal with them (like in the UK).
It would also stop them wasting money on the sort of ridiculousely inappropriate military equipment that American police forces love to unveil -
So why take the knee to support it ? And as regards wasting money by government I ll happily take the knee to that

Incidentally that which you quote is the most recent iteration of what defunding the police now means , if you go back to pre George floyd - and public backlash it was very specifically defund the police. If you look what’s happened in Philadelphia and Chicago that’s worked really really well

RankPostsTeam
International Star522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Sep 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I felt really proud of the players and the club yesterday seeing their unity in standing together whilst also being given the freedom to kneel should they wish to. I thought the statement condemning all forms of racism and prejudice was very powerful too. I think the BLM movement is political and to see individuals shamed and bullied when they don't conform to the knee is awful. Well done Trinity.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1575No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46920_1473009033.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46920.jpg

A credit to your club.

Hopefully the other clubs can follow your lead.

The rugby league and Super league knew this would be divisive, so I'd question why they went along with it. Was it purposely to cause division? Or was their hand forced by higher ups?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36014
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: The Ghost of '99 "Almost anyone who took any time to look at what that actually means in its American context would support it - it means removing from Police the budgets which require them to deal with mental health, opiods and reallocating that budget to people who can actually deal with them (like in the UK).
It would also stop them wasting money on the sort of ridiculousely inappropriate military equipment that American police forces love to unveil -
BLM and taking the knee are largely meaningless. It’s a political organisation that has elected itself to represent black people and whites with a ‘white saviour, complex. It’s clearly anti white and anti Semitic when it should be purely pro black, there is big difference there.

When I see an elected BLM leader with a genuine mandate then I might listen. In the meantime please enlighten us on who it’s leaders are, who elected them, who funds them, who monitors them and what their manifesto is?

You can’t can can you and neither could the players. How lame and morally bankrupted must a person be to support an organisation they know nothing about purely to be trendy.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4847
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3634.jpg
[IMG]//i50.tinypic.com/a59ff5.gif[/IMG]:3634.jpg

OK chomp just like the UK and in the main most Police forces across the globe get the easure to deal with mental health issues that are clearly a matter for health authorities. Policing is 24/7 365 along with Fire and Ambulance sadly key support tends to be Monday to Friday. The Police in the UK waste so much time dealing with other agencies issues so don't make a sweeping statement that the correct authorities deal with there own problems they don't!

Opioids may not be illegal in some parts but in the main they will be. Yes some people get help with rehab but in my experience the numbers getting off opiates are very low. To stereo type most opiate users are not wealthy and commit crime to fund habits this then drives serious and organised crime.

America has a gun problem including automatic weapons drug gangs have serious weaponry along with the threat of terrorism. The police need to have the best equipment to respond.

There is nothing wrong with APCs.

If ever you have the terrible experience of such events I am sure you would be glad to see the good guys take on the bad I can't imagine society run otherwise can you?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20471
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: vastman "BLM and taking the knee are largely meaningless. It’s a political organisation that has elected itself to represent black people and whites with a ‘white saviour, complex. It’s clearly anti white and anti Semitic when it should be purely pro black, there is big difference there.

When I see an elected BLM leader with a genuine mandate then I might listen. In the meantime please enlighten us on who it’s leaders are, who elected them, who funds them, who monitors them and what their manifesto is?

You can’t can can you and neither could the players. How lame and morally bankrupted must a person be to support an organisation they know nothing about purely to be trendy.'"

This where we differ on this Vasty.
The Black Lives Matter may be an organisation and that group may have some people I don't like at all...... But BLM is first and foremost a campaign to stop unnecessary violence against black people. Started with just a hashtag.
It's been hijacked just the same as Union Flag and St George's Cross by the far right.
I am proud to wear them but I'm sometimes uncomfortable when I see people use them for different reasons..... Just like BLM.

I am very much behind the initiative by Sky but I have to say its being pushed so hard it will lose some of the point. The interviews before the game are excellent. The big flags everywhere and the badge near the score are a bit unnecessary imho.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain595No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Sep 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: PopTart "This where we differ on this Vasty.
The Black Lives Matter may be an organisation and that group may have some people I don't like at all...... But BLM is first and foremost a campaign to stop unnecessary violence against black people. Started with just a hashtag.
It's been hijacked just the same as Union Flag and St George's Cross by the far right.
I am proud to wear them but I'm sometimes uncomfortable when I see people use them for different reasons..... Just like BLM.

I am very much behind the initiative by Sky but I have to say its being pushed so hard it will lose some of the point. The interviews before the game are excellent. The big flags everywhere and the badge near the score are a bit unnecessary imho.'"

So taking your argument then it makes sense at the next game for us all to wear Union Jack shirts with shaved heads etc etc but that wouldn’t be far right or racist It’s just about pride in our British roots ? Hmmm

As regards the 2013 tweet that was about violence against black Americans by. American police and had been politically hi jacked by the anarchists a long time before it ever appeared in Western Europe .

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36014
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: PopTart "This where we differ on this Vasty.

I am very much behind the initiative by Sky but I have to say its being pushed so hard it will lose some of the point. The interviews before the game are excellent. The big flags everywhere and the badge near the score are a bit unnecessary imho.'"

I think you’re being incredibly generous. How can you be sure? I be searched and the information is scant. BLM is at best an umbrella term under which a number of groups operate. For example there appears to be no substantive link between the original US group from a few years back and those operating in the U.K.

I can’t find an official committee just loose affiliations and alleged spokes persons. I can’t find any evidence of any elected bodies and thus I can’t find a mandate. By every definition of a democratic representative organisation they fail. The EDL is more transparent and democratic than BLM.

It is not a charity and it’s not registered with the electoral commission. It represents nobody as far as I can see, the U.K. version is nothing more than mouthpiece for a collection of dodgy radicals.

I’ve never seen our biased media ever ask what I would call an average black persons if BLM represents them, why not? Because they don’t most black people would prefer to achieve there political agendas through the existing political structure, yet again though that doesn’t fit the left wing narrative.

Would you be happy if Tommy Robinson claimed he represented you? By the logic of BLM he would be well within his rights to do so. You simply can’t argue that to the EDL white lives definitely matter.

Both groups represent the very worse of ghetto politics, why credit one with more validity than the other. Both are racist, both flirt with violence, both have no mandate and both skirt just above being illegal.

113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
113 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.87158203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leeds
BigTime
3m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
5m