FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wakefield Trinity > Is it time to scrap the Challenge Cup.
35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach909No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34860_1297775760.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_34860.jpg

I do think the Playoffs should be restricted to top six of the table. Any more than that is silly and pointless. It also tires players out just before the internationals, no wonder we don't win anything if we give them the hardest games just before they take on the very best.

As for the cup, I think it should be an earlier season event aiming for the Wembley final in the first bank holiday in May. Didn't it used to be like that before? They also shouldn't leave it so long between the QF, SF and Final.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5123
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60524_1510403940.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60524.jpg

Sadly some clubs have weaned their supporters off the idea of paying £20 into a CC game by charging £100 for a season ticket. Ken Davy at Hudds has been one of the architects of this and is now paying the price.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3956No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18447_1354887369.jpg
[color=#0000BF:295xr8pc]FLEETMASTER STAND THE HOME OF THE NORTHSTANDERS[/color:295xr8pc] "Quote" But perhaps most impressive is another bumper Wildcats home crowd – 9,237 for a Saturday TV game in the cold and wet is a fine effort from one of Super League’s most progressive clubs "Gareth Walker the Mirror" BORN CASTLEFORD BRED NORMANTON LIVE OUTWOOD WAKEFIELD BORN AND BRED MADE UP OF WF10/WF6/WF1, WAKEFIELD TRINITY WILDCATS:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18447.jpg

Quote: Tigerade "Sadly some clubs have weaned their supporters off the idea of paying £20 into a CC game by charging £100 for a season ticket. Ken Davy at Hudds has been one of the architects of this and is now paying the price.'"

I would still pay £20 in to cup matches or Lancashire v Yorkshire.... match maybe Hudds fans are feeling the pinch or didn't get excited about the game who knows, if both semi finals don't sell out then there is some thing wrong....

RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: kinleycat "Are the days of one of sports most historic competition numbered?
Gates are terrible and since the emergence of the SL grand final as RLs big day out and the push to establish a SL magic weekend, could the CC cup be lost?
People only have so much disposable income, and even the BBC have looked to off load the famous old cup.
Has all thing SL killed off one of the country's most famous knock out competitions and years of history and tradition? Is the shiny world of SL all that matters these days?'"

When all the season has to offer is the super league...it'll be the day I pack the sport in I'm afraid. I can't see this happening. We are in a recession and the kick off times were all fragmented and at very odd times. A change of format might be a good idea though. 4th round SL club v non SL club? Or a general seeding system like tennis. The Featherstone Cas result gets rarer and rarer an occurence. Hull KR Warrington a few yrs ago is the last I can recall. This isn't football and the FA cup where freak results are a little more likely. We may as well give the lower leagues their big game for me and ensure more SL clubs in Rd5. But scrap it...never

RankPostsTeam
International Star2645No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Each team should play each otherx 2 home and away. The tragic weekend should be srapped , and a weekend of the c c held in its place. The champions finishing top, and a top six play off introduced, for a play off shield. Promotion and relegation also on the agenda.
I for one am sick and tied of the closed shop mentality of all SL clubs , and the way sky manipulate our sport

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Super League has a lot to answer for.
Six clubs were "relegated" when the comp started and some new teams invented (sadly they didnt stay the distance)
Everything rugby league is now focused towards the end of season grand final and we managed to call the fifth placed team "champions" last season.
For the CC to prosper, some thought is needed regarding the scheduling of the rounds to build momentum and the competition deserves some better press
and media coverage.
The Beeb dont promote this competition very well at all. However, having said that, each clubs fans have to take responsibility themselves and be bothered enough to
turn up and cheer their team.
Shudds pretend that they are a big club but, less that 3000 spectators is a disgrace and yet if they make it to the finasl, the Fartown faithfull will no doubt be chanting "loyal supporters"
Wembley is the best RL spectacle that we have, supporters of all clubs going to the capital to witness a magnificent event and if only for the final the competition should remain, but is does
need some better promotion.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9974
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43457_1320063455.jpg
READ THE AUP: //forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=438945&tsmp=1381997916:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43457.jpg

Does it need better promotion? Clearly it wouldn't harm, but the truth of it IMO is it has just been devalued by the emergence of SL.
If you're the supporter of a big club, you are chasing the Grand Final and it all consuming glory, if you're not then you're largely disenfranchised.
I still don't and never have seen what the SL licenced structure offers what we didn't have other than the power to draw in vast amounts of Sky money, which given thought could have happened for the old game.
The cup is on its arris, p and r is gone, soulless grounds and soulless clubs inhabit the league, one club vying for its existence against another, team GB is dead and with it any chance of international honours, young talent is still stifled by overseas mediocrity, county cups gone, premierships gone and replaced with a copycat competition that devalues the league winners glory.
And all this marketed as a success by the powers that be!!!

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: kinleycat "Does it need better promotion? Clearly it wouldn't harm, but the truth of it IMO is it has just been devalued by the emergence of SL.
If you're the supporter of a big club, you are chasing the Grand Final and it all consuming glory, if you're not then you're largely disenfranchised.
I still don't and never have seen what the SL licenced structure offers what we didn't have other than the power to draw in vast amounts of Sky money, which given thought could have happened for the old game.
The cup is on its arris, p and r is gone, soulless grounds and soulless clubs inhabit the league, one club vying for its existence against another, team GB is dead and with it any chance of international honours, young talent is still stifled by overseas mediocrity, county cups gone, premierships gone and replaced with a copycat competition that devalues the league winners glory.
And all this marketed as a success by the powers that be!!!'"

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: kinleycat "Does it need better promotion? Clearly it wouldn't harm, but the truth of it IMO is it has just been devalued by the emergence of SL.
And all this marketed as a success by the powers that be!!!'"

Sad but largely true.

I have to say that getting involved with junior rugby a couple of years ago has given me the most enjoyment I've had out of the game in many a year; it's easy to feel disillusioned by the shenanigans of SL, but there's nothing like seeing a group of young players develop, learn the game and have a great time playing with their mates.

I'm not sure what opportunities the few who have aspirations to play professionally will encounter as they get older, given the state of the game outside of half a dozen sugar-daddy owned clubs, but you live in hope.

RankPostsTeam
International Star82
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64931_1321482847.jpg
TOPLISS TO SMITH TO FLETCHER - "TR...............................................Y":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64931.jpg

It doesn't take much for the anti SL lobby to start sounding off does it. People make it sound like the involvement of Sky
has had a detrimental affect on our game. Immediately before Sky we had one team turning up and winning at Wembley every year, and the old game was dying a slow death.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9974
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43457_1320063455.jpg
READ THE AUP: //forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=438945&tsmp=1381997916:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_43457.jpg

Quote: gastric band "It doesn't take much for the anti SL lobby to start sounding off does it. People make it sound like the involvement of Sky
has had a detrimental affect on our game. Immediately before Sky we had one team turning up and winning at Wembley every year, and the old game was dying a slow death.'"

Sky may well have a detrimental effect on Sky, however i didn't suggest that, merely that things have got worse IMO since the advent of SL for the listed reasons, here they are again:
"The cup is on its arris, p and r is gone, soulless grounds and soulless clubs inhabit the league, one club vying for its existence against another, team GB is dead and with it any chance of international honours, young talent is still stifled by overseas mediocrity, county cups gone, premierships gone and replaced with a copycat competition that devalues the league winners glory".
These IMO are all real declines in our game, not as a result of Sky (because nobody really knows the limit of Sky's involvement) but as a result of SL.
All of these could and should have been avoidable with a clear unbiased vision of the future from the leaders of the game, as could the domination of one club prior to SL.
For me the main influence (of the Wigan dominance and the way SL was carved up in its infancy) was one Maurice Lindsey, quite the most unscrupulous individual ever to fall out of another human being.
Am i a fan of SL? No not hugely for all the above reasons.
Do i blame Sky? No because i DONT KNOW how involved they are in the overall game.
Do i think SL could have served the game of RL better? You bet!!!
Sadly though, there has been too much water under the bridge and the Red Hall cupboards are full to bursting with skeletons, implicating all of the top table, so nothing is likely to change other than via a mass revolt from the clubs themselves, and as was shown with the formation of the SL, there are too many clubs with a vested interest in a remain in the status quo.

RankPostsTeam
International Star82
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64931_1321482847.jpg
TOPLISS TO SMITH TO FLETCHER - "TR...............................................Y":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64931.jpg

I fail to see the heinous crime Lindsay committed. As chairman of his club he made them the best team in the league then he helped drag our game up into the professional era. Are you angry at him because he was more forward thinking and more ahead of his time than other people in our game. I seem to remember that he was instrumental in pushing through the idea of SL , so perhaps this is the reason for your vitriol.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9974
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
43457_1320063455.jpg

Quote: gastric band "I fail to see the heinous crime Lindsay committed. As chairman of his club he made them the best team in the league then he helped drag our game up into the professional era. Are you angry at him because he was more forward thinking and more ahead of his time than other people in our game. I seem to remember that he was instrumental in pushing through the idea of SL , so perhaps this is the reason for your vitriol.'"

He monopolised the game through Wigan and had a strangle hold on the game and it almost died as a result, great of you're a Wigan fan only.
At the initiation of summer rugby and SL the game was carved up in the best interests of certain clubs that would benefit the league others such as ours were cast aside, all of that was fairly ruinous.
He may well have brought the proffesionality era to RL, wether or not RL clubs are sustainably proffesional has yet to be seen, all have tax issues possibly pending, many are reliant on benefactors and all are reliant on Sky Sports.
As a human being I find him lacking in charisma and as for the rules he helped bring into SL he spent much of his time at Wigan then trying to break them.
SL could have achieved so much, but in many ways we have gone backwards yet still manage to let the people running the game tell us otherwise.
Hardly vitriol though!!

RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: sandaltrinityfan "
Close thing. I'd take either!!!!

RankPostsTeam
International Star2010No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: kinleycat "He monopolised the game through Wigan and had a strangle hold on the game and it almost died as a result, great of you're a Wigan fan only.
At the initiation of summer rugby and SL the game was carved up in the best interests of certain clubs that would benefit the league others such as ours were cast aside, all of that was fairly ruinous.
He may well have brought the proffesionality era to RL, wether or not RL clubs are sustainably proffesional has yet to be seen, all have tax issues possibly pending, many are reliant on benefactors and all are reliant on Sky Sports.
As a human being I find him lacking in charisma and as for the rules he helped bring into SL he spent much of his time at Wigan then trying to break them.
SL could have achieved so much, but in many ways we have gone backwards yet still manage to let the people running the game tell us otherwise.
Hardly vitriol though!!'"

Spot on Kinleycat. We were shafted over as were several others. We didn't want to be Calder!...My God imagine the mess that would have been. Extinct by now without a doubt. So we got shoved in Div 2 as refuseniks. Keighley et al...never forget this travesty it was a disgrace to sport in general and our sport in particular. I have lots of vitriol for Mr Lindsay and I'm not ashamed to say it.

35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
35 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

16.43994140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
3m
Film game
karetaker
5m