Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

Quote: mwildcats "Johnson nailed to go to hull.
Can't see Leeds not taking Amor.'"

I'm not really interested in speculation which is normally poor - my point wasn't meant as an excuse for groundless gossip which this is whether you believe it or not.

If the money and the state of the club is right he will stop with us - nothing is nailed on. So over to Mr Glover.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12486
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2358_1651040874.jpg
Wakefield TRINITY:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2358.jpg

Quote: vastman "I think you're all missing the point on this one.

Our CCup exploits have been abysmal for as long as I can remember. It's certainly not new to Agar and this team - far from it. And yes even JD was as crap as anyone else when it came to CCup games.

Unless I am mistaken we have never beaten a fellow SL team in all the time we have been in SL! That is a hugely damning statistic. We couldn't beat Hull in the Semis, we lost to Cas last year - even in 2004 we were knocked out early by a SL team I think.

We have had six coaches in that time and only Kear came close when goal kicking let us down but even then that was the first SL opposition we met and we were hardly fantastic on the day. Ditto the play offs the other year, only in 2004 did we ever really make a fight of it in a knock out competition - that is once since 1979!!!

I know the issues and the excuses and they are still with us, but all the same it's a disgrace - both previous BOD, players and coaches should hang their heads in shame.

Contrast this to some of the epic displays in the end of season relegation games. Yet as was said about Dunkirk, these were not victories just total defeats avoided. I always thought the celebrations after avoiding relegation especially in 2006 were a travesty. That team in particular should never have been there in the first place and had let the club and fans down - an apology would have been more appropriate - and with no fear of upsetting the JD fan club of which I am one he was as big a culprit as the rest up until the last 6 games - there have been no heroes in this story.

Until we have a winning mentality or at least enough players who have been at the club long enough to have a sense of pride we will never do a Fev - not in a million seasons.

To quote our resident mouth, Stu Dickens is a midget prop true - but with the heart of a giant and a love of his club - who is our Stuart Dickens?

It will take Glover and Agar/whoever some time to rectify this - when/if Johnson, Amor and Woods are at the heart of our team in 3 years time then maybe - however if past experience is anything to go by none of those names will be on the team sheet and nothing will change.

Well done Fev by the way.'"

We knocked Cas out in 2002 at BV. I think thats our only win against SL opposition which is shocking really!!

RankPostsTeam
International Star1886No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51581_1309939310.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51581.jpg

Quote: vastman "

If the money and the state of the club is right he will stop with us - nothing is nailed on.'"

He is represented by an agent who is the brother of Phil Clarke. According to quite a few the guy is one of the worst there is to deal with and it was suspected sometime ago that he was not staying with us. He will be no great loss IMHO.

However I agree with your main post and I think the generation we want to be building on is Walshaw,Wildie and Trout.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: jack in the box "He is represented by an agent who is the brother of Phil Clarke. According to quite a few the guy is one of the worst there is to deal with and it was suspected sometime ago that he was not staying with us. He will be no great loss IMHO.

However I agree with your main post and I think the generation we want to be building on is Walshaw,Wildie and Trout.'"

As I say not really interested in the Johnson speculation and as you know nothing is nailed on see Gareth Ellis. TBH Johnson was the first name that came into my head - who is here in 3 years time doesn't matter just so long as there are some and so long as they are good enough.

At the moment the team has no back bone at all and though I'm not an Agar fan that is not his fault.

Even considering our inability to keep real stars like Brough, Ellis and Solomona we could if our previous board had not failed have had the likes of Snitch, Moore, Ferguson, George and Murphy to name a few still at the club. Maybe BJ would be playing his heart out now in his testimonial season. Not world beaters I accept but at least something resembling an organically grown team rather than one bought off e-bay. Very sad, very sad indeed - it really is no way to run a club and it's been like that for 40+ years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5507No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Nov 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
16551_1431692096.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_16551.jpg

Quote: Wildthing "We knocked Cas out in 2002 at BV. I think thats our only win against SL opposition which is shocking really!!'"

Didn't we also beat Widnes and London in the early SL days? All pre-Kear though.

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg
[color=#400000:2dasnjxb]"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"[/color:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#FF0000:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://www.swag-online.co.uk[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#0000FF:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://wakefield.rlfans.com[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15993.jpeg

Quote: Wildthing "We knocked Cas out in 2002 at BV. I think thats our only win against SL opposition which is shocking really!!'"

Also Widnes at their place - Ian Knott era and London at theirs - 2004 I think.

Slim pickings though after all these years.

Vastman has it about spot on - no heroes in this story and no mental strength shown. We made a better fist of it at Bradford in the quarter final before we got into SL! icon_confused.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12486
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2358_1651040874.jpg

Quote: Theboyem "Didn't we also beat Widnes and London in the early SL days? All pre-Kear though.'"

Yes we did. Both away as well.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12486
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2358_1651040874.jpg

Quote: TRB "Also Widnes at their place - Ian Knott era and London at theirs - 2004 I think.

Slim pickings though after all these years.

Vastman has it about spot on - no heroes in this story and no mental strength shown. We made a better fist of it at Bradford in the quarter final before we got into SL!
Yep, see above. Remembered as soon as I posted it!!

Very poor in the cup! icon_sad.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: vastman "At the moment the team has no back bone at all and though I'm not an Agar fan that is not his fault.'"

The things vasty has said in this thread are probably the most intelligent insights in this whole debate so far.

Thanks to 40 years of mismanagement, we don't have a team, any continuity or anyone on board with any sense of the 'story' of WTW; what we do have is a revolving door of transient players and staff who have no emotional attachment to the club or in many cases, the city - yet.

Mr Glover has spoken before about his ten year plan - I think that's an optimistic outlook of the task ahead; to get this club back to anything like it's glory days will take a minimum of ten years and will require blood, sweat, tears and no small amount of luck to achieve. It's do-able, but it needs the right people and the application of significant amounts of expertise, patience and shedloads of cash.

In ten years, if we're sat at NM talking about players like Trout, Walshaw and Slater as fantastic servants to the club and maybe contemplating Kyle Wood's testimonial, then it will begin to look like a success.

Well said vasty - you've summed up perfectly the issues currently facing WTW, without resorting to childish proclamations of doom and gloom, or the usual, knee-jerk 'coach out' tirade. Good man.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: bren2k "The things vasty has said in this thread are probably the most intelligent insights in this whole debate so far.

Thanks to 40 years of mismanagement, we don't have a team, any continuity or anyone on board with any sense of the 'story' of WTW; what we do have is a revolving door of transient players and staff who have no emotional attachment to the club or in many cases, the city - yet.

Mr Glover has spoken before about his ten year plan - I think that's an optimistic outlook of the task ahead; to get this club back to anything like it's glory days will take a minimum of ten years and will require blood, sweat, tears and no small amount of luck to achieve. It's do-able, but it needs the right people and the application of significant amounts of expertise, patience and shedloads of cash.

In ten years, if we're sat at NM talking about players like Trout, Walshaw and Slater as fantastic servants to the club and maybe contemplating Kyle Wood's testimonial, then it will begin to look like a success.

Well said vasty - you've summed up perfectly the issues currently facing WTW, without resorting to childish proclamations of doom and gloom, or the usual, knee-jerk 'coach out' tirade. Good man.'"

It's a point I've been trying to get across for a while now. Off field problems are relatively easy to solve with a bit of cash and some nouse. On field is more like alchemy than science.

It doesn't matter how good or bad you think Agar or the team are or whether they could be doing better. What matters is that we shouldn't be here at all and the blame for that lays partly with previous Coaches, players, even fans but for the most part the various boards who have failed the club.

Now we inhabit some weird kind of RL hinterland where we are neither a new club or an old one but a hybrid of the two. I don't think the RFL or the Press or pundits or other fans give us an especially hard time - I think they are ignorant of us as a club because unlike most clubs we have no continuity on the pitch where it matter. Brian Carney is fairly dim but all the same you can't really blame him for not knowing anything about our team, hell it took us half a season ourselves to work out who was who in last seasons team and it's not much better this.

One players keeps coming to mind as the players who sums it all up. Steve Snitch. Came through our Academy the hard way, couldn't gey a decent offer from the club due to too many Aussies - went away, did well - came back - did well but still couldn't get a long term deal. Yet we will fly the likes of Steve Southern half way around the world and he isn't the first or the worst.

Snitchy is no world beater, isn't even a top SL player - but - he wanted to play for us so long as we offered him a similar deal to what other clubs did - we didn't - we simply couldn't be bothered with an English player and a ranker to boot.

So after 15 years in SL we can't even field a workhorse like Steve Snitch - instead Cas have him. He should be a one club player, loyal and dependable even if not the worlds best. The fact that we don't have him (and he left pre administration) is frankly pathetic.

I don't think it matters that much who the coach is, no one and I reckon no one wouldn't struggle at our club for a few years to come. Whoever was in charge would need time which is in short supply in RL - in which case even the best would be sacked before they had chance to do anything if the mentality of those who post on here is anything to go by. Mr Glover big task is not N/M or season ticket sales that kids stuff compared to keeping his nerve where the Coach is concerned. If he doesn't the ludicrous suggestion of Poching for Coach could become some dreadful reality - and that's no dig at Poching who may well one day be a Coach, just not yet and just not learning on our time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5762
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46978_1481681744.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46978.jpg

Quote: vastman "It's a point I've been trying to get across for a while now. Off field problems are relatively easy to solve with a bit of cash and some nouse. On field is more like alchemy than science.

It doesn't matter how good or bad you think Agar or the team are or whether they could be doing better. What matters is that we shouldn't be here at all and the blame for that lays partly with previous Coaches, players, even fans but for the most part the various boards who have failed the club.

Now we inhabit some weird kind of RL hinterland where we are neither a new club or an old one but a hybrid of the two. I don't think the RFL or the Press or pundits or other fans give us an especially hard time - I think they are ignorant of us as a club because unlike most clubs we have no continuity on the pitch where it matter. Brian Carney is fairly dim but all the same you can't really blame him for not knowing anything about our team, hell it took us half a season ourselves to work out who was who in last seasons team and it's not much better this.

One players keeps coming to mind as the players who sums it all up. Steve Snitch. Came through our Academy the hard way, couldn't gey a decent offer from the club due to too many Aussies - went away, did well - came back - did well but still couldn't get a long term deal. Yet we will fly the likes of Steve Southern half way around the world and he isn't the first or the worst.

Snitchy is no world beater, isn't even a top SL player - but - he wanted to play for us so long as we offered him a similar deal to what other clubs did - we didn't - we simply couldn't be bothered with an English player and a ranker to boot.

So after 15 years in SL we can't even field a workhorse like Steve Snitch - instead Cas have him. He should be a one club player, loyal and dependable even if not the worlds best. The fact that we don't have him (and he left pre administration) is frankly pathetic.

I don't think it matters that much who the coach is, no one and I reckon no one wouldn't struggle at our club for a few years to come. Whoever was in charge would need time which is in short supply in RL - in which case even the best would be sacked before they had chance to do anything if the mentality of those who post on here is anything to go by. Mr Glover big task is not N/M or season ticket sales that kids stuff compared to keeping his nerve where the Coach is concerned. If he doesn't the ludicrous suggestion of Poching for Coach could become some dreadful reality - and that's no dig at Poching who may well one day be a Coach, just not yet and just not learning on our time.'"

Top couple of posts Vasty. eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: Shifty Cat "Top couple of posts Vasty.
I think someone has haxxored vasty's interweb.

TRB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10926
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2021Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15993_1515231183.jpeg
[color=#400000:2dasnjxb]"Wakefields Sporting Crusader"[/color:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#FF0000:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Stadium for Wakefield campaign, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://www.swag-online.co.uk[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb] [b:2dasnjxb][color=#0000FF:2dasnjxb]For the latest details on the Supporters Trust, log onto [url:2dasnjxb]http://wakefield.rlfans.com[/url:2dasnjxb][/color:2dasnjxb][/b:2dasnjxb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_15993.jpeg

Quote: vastman "It's a point I've been trying to get across for a while now. Off field problems are relatively easy to solve with a bit of cash and some nouse. On field is more like alchemy than science.

I don't think it matters that much who the coach is, no one and I reckon no one wouldn't struggle at our club for a few years to come. Whoever was in charge would need time which is in short supply in RL - in which case even the best would be sacked before they had chance to do anything if the mentality of those who post on here is anything to go by. Mr Glover big task is not N/M or season ticket sales that kids stuff compared to keeping his nerve where the Coach is concerned. If he doesn't the ludicrous suggestion of Poching for Coach could become some dreadful reality - and that's no dig at Poching who may well one day be a Coach, just not yet and just not learning on our time.'"

Almost spot on - except that players like Snitch were offered deals to stay and yet chose to move on as we hadn't the stability or quality of the other clubs available.

Also, as Nobby showed at Crusaders and we have under previous coaches, it is possible to coach the players to perform in a more 'workmanlike' manner - i.e. to get more out of them physically. Now the question is: do we think that given time and patience that this squad of players will eventually be better skilled and better able to compete with other SL clubs - because that appears to be the six million dollar quastion that the senior officials are betting on - otherwise, if we're judging it today on what we've seen, there would only be one outcome!

RankPostsTeam
International Star793No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2016Dec 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

totally agree for once with vasty's posts..well said sir!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36067
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg

Quote: TRB "Almost spot on - except that players like Snitch were offered deals to stay and yet chose to move on as we hadn't the stability or quality of the other clubs available.

Also, as Nobby showed at Crusaders and we have under previous coaches, it is possible to coach the players to perform in a more 'workmanlike' manner - i.e. to get more out of them physically. Now the question is

That's what I meant, there's more to offering a deal than just money. That said I'm pretty sure that when Snitch left the first time it was certainly down to us making a derisory offer. I like you tend to defend the old regime because we knew the pressures they were under, however I don't think it's unfair to suggest Ted could be a bit of a cheapskate where young home grown players were concerned.

I know like you that players and especially those close to them tend to paint there lad as a saint and BOD as evil monsters. This is most often not the case and it's usually the player deluded as to their own worth. That said I have heard it said time and time again that the old regime stiffed young local players and for a long time rightly or wrongly Trinity were the last team local players wanted to join. At best you have to say no smoke without fire - I reckon at least first time Snitch was one of those.

What you do highlight is yet another thing we need to rebuild, our reputation. Some players are stupid but most are not - and when it comes to deciding who to go with this is another issue that tips the scales against us.

We need the steady eddie Snitches of this world, in some ways more than the likes of Tim Smith.

Oddly the only player who seems to show genuine pride in the shirt and a desire to play for the club is Paul Aiton - he has 5 years left in him lets hope someones smart enough to build a team around him and a few others. Obviously our bad reputation never made it as far as PNG icon_wink.gif

38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.39990234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Fantastic Mr
5m
Shopping list for 2025
weaver93
6m