JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3662_1306065880.jpg
[quote="EmmaMur01"]I hope they get relegated. Their fans are idiots.[/quote] [quote="vastman"] honest to god your like a big and not very bright child. [/quote] [quote="'Hitman' Norvern Soul"] You are a sprawling urban metropolis that was once one of Europe's major cities.[/quote] BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3662.jpg

Quote: vastman "

Truth is it was a fairly decent game considering the weather.

As for a concept it's decent one for what it is.

For starters the War of the Roses was crap, utter rubbish I know I went to most of them. There may have been some pride in the Yorkshire shirt but none of the "Lancashire" players ever gave a toss.

It needs to be three series - it needs money thrown at it - it needs some imagination, but above all it needs persistance.

'"

Not sure it was any better than the majority of Trin games this year.

The Roses games were scrapped to early they were the games that we needed to give some time to groW and create something from over time the Lancashire players would begin to care once a bit of tradition and rivalry has been established. How is the Exiles ever going to be sustainable if we are serious about lowering the number of imports in our game?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: J.T "Not sure it was any better than the majority of Trin games this year.

The Roses games were scrapped to early they were the games that we needed to give some time to groW and create something from over time the Lancashire players would begin to care once a bit of tradition and rivalry has been established. How is the Exiles ever going to be sustainable if we are serious about lowering the number of imports in our game?'"

I agree.
Also, 2 Enlish teams playing against each other, with international jerseys up for grabs would certainly have the younger players chomping at the bit and putting pressure on some of the more experienced players.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator20715
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41119.jpg
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha:41119.jpg

Quote: J.T "Not sure it was any better than the majority of Trin games this year.

The Roses games were scrapped to early they were the games that we needed to give some time to groW and create something from over time the Lancashire players would begin to care once a bit of tradition and rivalry has been established. How is the Exiles ever going to be sustainable if we are serious about lowering the number of imports in our game?'"

I agree.
The thing the RFL don't seem to get about State of Origin is that it was built on the back of State games where Queensland used to get battered because all their best players played in Sydney.
When they made it Origin they gave Queensland a chance to proove the lar-di-da types in Sydney that Queensland was something special in Rugby League.....which they did. It was important to them.
Once they started winning it because important to NSW to prove they were better because Queensland were making a big deal about it.....and the rest is history.

Same would have been the case for Yorkshire v Lancashire....or Cumbria.

I think Exiles could be an identity if managed correctly but the problem is, when they are better it makes us look poor. When Queensland are better it doesn't affect Australia.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach101No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Aug 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
21617_1301085619.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_21617.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I agree.
Also, 2 Enlish teams playing against each other, with international jerseys up for grabs would certainly have the younger players chomping at the bit and putting pressure on some of the more experienced players.'"

Also with 2 English regions playing against each other the in game atmosphere should improve. Another negative about the exiles format which (I dont think) has been commented on so far is the lack of atmosphere in the crowd.

The exiles will never have a vocal supporter base (unless we play in Aus/NZ!) so immediately the game seems lacking in atmosphere and subdued when watching on TV, it seemed painfully quiet at times!

The reason it will never be anywhere near Origin is that you don't have 2 sets of supporters who are fanatical about their teams winning and getting one over on the 'enemy'. This won't happen overnight with any kind of intra UK battle but if you imagine the East vs West for arguments sake, at least we're going instantly create 2 fan bases which have more interest in their teams than the Exiles camp does currently in this country.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach36068
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10363_1334937642.jpg
SUPPORT SWAG...:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10363.jpg

That's why I said decent.

The Roses games had been running in one form or another since RL began, not sure exactly how much more time they could be given.

To answer both you and Wrencat I make two points.

1: NSW and Queenslanders are fiercely proud of their home States. Yorkshiremen along with Cornishmen are unique in having any real affinity with their County of birth. People from what remains of Lancashire don't, or not in numbers that matter. As far as I'm aware there are no SL teams in Lancashire anymore?? I'm afraid it takes two to tango and in the WOR there is only one.
You simply can't create a rivalry that died even in cricket many years ago. The one that would possibly work in this country is North v South but for that to happen would mean the unification of the two codes. We have to be realistic, we simply don't have a none club rivalry to match SOO. That said they don't have the club rivalries we have, why that doesn't translate into better players I'm not sure - maybe our game is super parochial rather than just parochial.

2: The WOR were never really a pathway to the national squad - in fact what ruined them was the sheer number of players especially from the dark side who dropped out - either knowing they were GB players or putting club first.

Sorry one other point and that's credibility. Everyone in Aus seems to accept that the two teams are picked on form, not club or reputation. Judging by the reaction on this and other forums every time a representative team is picked not many in the UK feels the same. The WOR used to stink to high heaven of jobs for the boys, and I'm not one of the paranoid ones. I don't recall many young players getting their big break in WOR icon_sad.gif

I'd love the WOR to be a winner, but history suggests it isn't - sorry.

25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing
25 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, PopTart , kinleycat , Wildthing

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.7099609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Film game
karetaker
3m