FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Keighley Cougars > The elephant in the room.
24 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
International Star462No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60894_1413484726.jpg
We are from Keighley. We are NOT Bradfordians.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60894.jpg

I think we would all agree that we shouldn't have been in the relegation mire these past few weeks; we should have made ourselves safe on the pitch weeks ago. I'm sure the players would agree.
BUT... if the situation remains as it is we will have Batley, the rule-breakers, going unpunished and reaping the benefits of remaining in the Championship next season with everything that will bring - notably a lot more money which they can use to progress further as a club. They are also set to compete in the play-offs which will generate still more much-needed income.
Then you have Keighley, the totally innocent party who have played within the rules all season, effectively punished by being relegated to Championship 1 where the revenue prospects are much, much worse. We could be set back years. We will be playing some away matches in front of about 200 people and at some home games there will be no visiting supporters at all. How on earth can this be deemed fair? Batley break the rules, yet Keighley are expected to bend over and take the punishment. This scenario offends any sense of fair play.
In addition to that, compare the treatment meted out to our own Paul March this season. For an alleged breach of rules (which was denied and apparently not proven to any great standard of proof, in contrast to Batley's and Donny's breach which is fully accepted), Marchy was absolutely hammered by the RFL with a draconian, unprecedented 8-week stadium ban. So they hammer Marchy and Keighley but in respect of Batley and Donny - nothing. Nothing whatsoever. Any fair-minded observer can see that this is just not right.
The RFL are doing the dirty on us yet again. Not fit to run a bath.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: Leaguefan "
They were not good enough and the coaching not good enough.'"

You have a valid point. I take it you listened to Paul March on pulse radio and borrowed "elephant in the room" from show presenter Robbie Paul. Paul March admitted that he and the team had not been good enough when it counted, he used no excuses. But then you would expect the coach to stick to his job and leave any discussion of legal action to the directors.

Quote: Leaguefan "This is the truth.
..........all this claptrap about, rules, invalid players,clutching at straws etc would not have been necessary.That is the reason why the club has been relegated.
Anything else is irrelevant'"

This, on the other, hand is complete nonsense.

Are you suggesting for one minute, that a team that broke the rules and in so doing gained three points, has not influenced the final league position?

Are you suggesting that when punished it was ok for them to appeal and get let off scot free, but not for us to appeal to have the punishment reinstated?

Are you suggesting Batley did not break the rules and we, an innocent team, are not suffering as a consequence?

Are you even suggesting the administration of the RFL has not been incompetent?

I think your the one clutching at the straws of irrelevance icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star504
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70576_1599484530.png
[b:1n9sp3wb][u:1n9sp3wb]Head of Media & Administration - Keighley Cougars[/u:1n9sp3wb][/b:1n9sp3wb] [b:1n9sp3wb][u:1n9sp3wb]Twitter: @JRCSport[/u:1n9sp3wb][/b:1n9sp3wb]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70576.png

Quote: jeronimo "I now live in Devon and get to one cougar match every couple of years.'"

That could change if the RFL continue with the nonsensical management of the game. I'm sure Oxford, Hemel, Cheltenham, Maesteg and London are easier commutes than Featherstone, Halifax, Batley and Dewsbury!

In all seriousness though, get that petition signed. Personally, I think they'll just give us compensation on top of the parachute payments and keep us down but if Marchy, Whitey, Jonesy & Tiger are staying in League One, imagine who else we can get to play in red and green next term?

RankPostsTeam
International Star778No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Soon be Monday.:

Quote: jeronimo "This is the truth...

Batley fielded an illegible player in one of their matches this season, a player who went on to score a vital try in a game they won, if that player wasn't playing that day it wouldn't have mattered but he did, therefore Batley broke the rules by which our great game is governed. Rules are everywhere, I have rules at work that if I turn up late for work three times I get a disciplinary, if I overstay on my car parking ticket I get a fine and if I run on the pitch after the challenge cup final I'll get thrown out or arrested.

Therefore if I break rules and have to face consequences, why shouldn't Batley? Apart from a reason of not punishing clubs from a previous season,which isn't a justifiable reason at all, as that tells any club they can play an illegible player and they wont be punished.

Therefore Batley should have their proper punishment reinstated and Keighley should stay up. I now live in Devon and get to one cougar match every couple of years, so cant comment on the efforts of the coaches and the players this season, yes I am sure they could have done better this season but had the original ruling against Batley stood and we were now facing play off rugby I am sure you wouldn't be sat on your bums slating the team.

So for gods sake, why dont all Keighley fans pull together in one direction and realise that rules were broken and should be punished instead of looking to criticise the player, coaches and whoever else. I for one have signed the petition and hope common sense prevails in two ways.

i) The RFL see the error of their ways
ii) Cougar SUPPORTERS actually support the cougars and not seemingly back the RFL!!'"

Are you the guy we met in France a few years ago?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Jul 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11558.jpg
Devon Branch Of The Keighley Cougars Supporters Association:11558.jpg

Certainly am

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7174No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3180.jpg
:3180.jpg

Quote: Hello Trouble! "Personally, I think they'll just give us compensation on top of the parachute payments and keep us down but if Marchy, Whitey, Jonesy & Tiger are staying in League One, imagine who else we can get to play in red and green next term?'"

We are going to need compensation. To make up for the very small amount of away fans.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: Hello Trouble! "
.........Personally, I think they'll just give us compensation on top of the parachute payments and keep us down .......'"

That simply is not good enough.

The RFL cannot be allowed to take the easy, brush it under the carpet, option. I hope the club aren't going to play along with this to get some cash.

We are innocent and should be reinstated, it's up-to the RFL to sort out their own collateral damage.

No if's, no buts, no excuses.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: guess who "We are going to need compensation. To make up for the very small amount of away fans.'"

Taking into account the huge derby against Bulls, and the well attended games against Halifax, Fev and Leigh, plus the other games are all better than the lower division, it would need to be at least ÂŁ75,000 + bar takings

RankPostsTeam
International Star695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2015Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Beaker.gif

We cannot say with an certainty that Batley only won the game because of Fairbank's try. If he wasn't in the team how do we know they would not have won anyway, we don't so that's all if's and buts and people IMO need to move on. The argument is that we have been penalised and suffered relegation because rules were broken whether innocent or not. Those rule breakers have not been punished causing Keighley to be relegated. Had the rules not been broken we would be relegated fair and square so we have not been relegated because of Batley. We got relegated because over the course of the season we didn't finish high enough, nor did we play well enough consistently. That is fact.

I think we have a strong case for reinstatement but this case could run and run. If the Cougars are reinstated and Batley relegated I am sure they will start a legal case. I could be wrong, but the DR breaches last season did not affect the relegation places so this season it's a different case. If we are reinstated will that mean that Sheffield and Whitehaven start proceedings. I think the RFL has to be very careful.

I would suggest that they won't have the balls to relegate Batley. Therefore, what about this scenario;

Reinstate Keighley as we should be.
Take 3 points off Batley and Donny, scrap DR.
Reduce relegation to 4 teams and adjust the Championship structure accordingly.
That way, Donny and Batley will be punished accordingly but other teams do not suffer. If Donny and Batley lose money, tough luck. Call it a fine.

I think this is the only way it can get concluded without being very messy. In my eyes Batley should be relegated for the breach, but feel the RFL are on dodgy ground regarding DR so this would seem a sensible solution.

RankPostsTeam
International Star270No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2019Apr 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true. Or is it something worse?:

Quote: Dominance "
Take 3 points off Batley and Donny, scrap DR.
'"

This would cause problems with the playoffs, Doncaster are presently planning for a match away to Leigh, and Sheffield are preparing to meet Batley. If the points are removed then Sheffield need to go to Leigh and Doncaster to play Whitehaven.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1030No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why should it?

As we know to our expense, we were forced to play four games in 14 days, three of which we could have won:

Sunday June 1 Halifax
Thursday June 5 Widnes
Tuesday June 10 Whitehaven
Sunday June 15 Batley Bulldogs

All that the RFL need to do, sorry should do, is postpone the games which are affected and then state that the subsequent Rounds must be played on dates that they decide in order to ensure that the final is played on the date for which it has been fixed.

After all, they did it to us.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: Dominance "We cannot say with an certainty that Batley only won the game because of Fairbank's try. If he wasn't in the team how do we know they would not have won anyway, we don't so that's all if's and buts and people IMO need to move on. The argument is that we have been penalised and suffered relegation because rules were broken whether innocent or not. Those rule breakers have not been punished causing Keighley to be relegated. Had the rules not been broken we would be relegated fair and square so we have not been relegated because of Batley. We got relegated because over the course of the season we didn't finish high enough, nor did we play well enough consistently. That is fact.
.'"

You can never predict the outcome of any match with 100% certainty! But you can say that on paper player "x" is better than player "y". You can say that a team using player "x" is doing so to have more chance of winning. If player "x" scores you can say he has influenced the game and given his team more chance of winning. Fact.

If a team using player x does so when they are short of players, at a critical part of a season in which 5 teams are relegated, you can make a pretty certain assumption that it was an attempt to win a match they might otherwise loose.

If player "x" is actually ineligible to play in that game, by the rules laid down by the governing body, then you would expect that body to impose fair punishment. It is not unreasonable to expect that punishment to be the value of a match win - 3 points. This is the value of the original sanction imposed by the RFL.

This can be spun in any direction you want, but a team cheated to help win a match in a unique season with 5 relegation places with them in the mix to go down. Fact

The team were let off under appeal by claiming the RFL should follow a precedent that is in fact not valid for this unique season. Fact

If they had been penalised by the original and fair penalty imposed by the RFL then Keighley would not have been demoted. Fact

But I do agree wholeheartedly that we should have put the matter to bed on the pitch by winning, and that is purely down to the coach and players, and they know it.

The RFL have now engineered themselves into a hole and will try and bluff their way out of it, as they have many times in the past. I think only legal action, or the threat of it will make them change their mind. Keighley shouldn't accept any argument or fobbing off. If the consequences are difficult to handle for the RFL then tough. As the saying goes "they made their bed ...."

RankPostsTeam
International Star342No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71767_1519636308.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71767.jpg

Batley must have a much more acute feeling of elephant presence in their room. Their worst season for years, season long criticism of the coach, his signings, their board. Hence the pervading sense of desperation for a win prior to their match away at Sheffield (where they won with the ineligible player they selected for the match).

If Batley had been as good this season as they had been in recent seasons, they wouldn't have got themselves into this shambles either.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach424No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Jul 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47533.jpg
Theres only one way to decide - FIGHT!:47533.jpg

Great post CHC and I totally agree

If the RFL can't see the desperation of Batley then they would struggle to know where their noses are!

This is another injustice to Cougars in my books

This year has seen

Marchy get a 4 match ban
Marchy get an unprecedented 2 months stadium ban
4 games to be played in 9 days (something ridiculous like that)
Teams let off for breaking the rules with huge consequences

The RFL sure don't want Keighley around for they!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: Cross Hills Cougar "Batley must have a much more acute feeling of elephant presence in their room. Their worst season for years, season long criticism of the coach, his signings, their board. Hence the pervading sense of desperation for a win prior to their match away at Sheffield (where they won with the ineligible player they selected for the match).

If Batley had been as good this season as they had been in recent seasons, they wouldn't have got themselves into this shambles either.'"

Batley will indeed be worried by their performance, but grateful it's us and not them. I think the RFL are back on their Christmas card list (and possibly a few bottles of champers and a dozen pies for Nidge).

I think the only thing we'll get is an April fool's card.

24 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
24 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.27734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
WIZEB
9m
Leeds
RfE
10m