Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2012Jan 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

I am new to this forum and don't know any of you. I can only go on what I read. Sounds like you have a Chairman who is trying to inspire and motivate and just gets a bit carried away. A well respected coach who is trying to bring a mix of experience and youth. Folks - we can't change what is going to happen. Maybe influence a little - but it has to be positive. How do you think your JD and players feel when they read the negative comments that seem to be all over this forum? Come on you guys - you've had 1 run out and some of you are already writing off this season and undermining the confidence of the team! I'm with the positive guys on this one.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

Quote: Exiled Cougar "I am new to this forum and don't know any of you. I can only go on what I read. Sounds like you have a Chairman who is trying to inspire and motivate and just gets a bit carried away. A well respected coach who is trying to bring a mix of experience and youth. Folks - we can't change what is going to happen. Maybe influence a little - but it has to be positive. How do you think your JD and players feel when they read the negative comments that seem to be all over this forum? Come on you guys - you've had 1 run out and some of you are already writing off this season and undermining the confidence of the team! I'm with the positive guys on this one.'"

You will quickly realise that this forum is like life: some have a pint pot that’s half full, others that is half empty. Some have a personal axe to grind, others just like moaning. icon_wink.gif

Sometimes, I think our Chairman has a tendency to get a little over excited and I wish he would just think a little first, but then I look back a few years and remember who we used to have at the helm and I know whom I prefer.

The Chairman and directors are by no means perfect but bloody hell, no one can accuse them of not trying.

I do not have huge expectations for this year, but I am certainly looking forward to it. It's a bit like buying and easter egg: some people are drawn by the spectacular wrapping but feel a little let down by the size of the contents, others ignore the glitz and just buy it because they like the filling.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46524.jpg
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. -Albert Camus:46524.jpg

Quote: Exiled Cougar "I am new to this forum and don't know any of you. I can only go on what I read. Sounds like you have a Chairman who is trying to inspire and motivate and just gets a bit carried away. A well respected coach who is trying to bring a mix of experience and youth.'"

You are right about the chairman.

The thing is I was brought up that if something is too good to be true it probably is. I've been coming down to Cougar Park for two thirds of my life, I heard chairman after chairman fail to deliver on whatever wild ambition their inflated egos have set themselves. Of course I want to see ambition, but it needs to be allied with a well planned and measured approach. When I heard Gary Fawcett first come out with the Super League comment I cringed, I'd heard it all before and it had ended up in catastrophic failure. Now if he'd have said "I want rebuild the club, establish ourselves as one of the best run Championship clubs, in the way Batley have, then in 5-10 years use that as a catalyst to push for a Super League place" I'd have been impressed.

Quote: Exiled Cougar "Folks - we can't change what is going to happen. Maybe influence a little - but it has to be positive. How do you think your JD and players feel when they read the negative comments that seem to be all over this forum? Come on you guys - you've had 1 run out and some of you are already writing off this season and undermining the confidence of the team! I'm with the positive guys on this one.'"

There's no one on here who's written off the season. There will always be optimistic, pessimistic and realist fans of any club. Believe it or not, I'm optimistic for this season (see my sig) but I'm realistic to know there are better and more established squads in the Championship this season. The minute I heard the teams being announced at The Shay I knew we were in for a beating. The Fax team had some of the very best players in the Championship in it. Our team was missing half our best players and had some bit part and Championship 1 reserve team players in it. To be honest in the first half we did well and were only 10 points behind. To some riding the wave of optimism that signing all these quality players has created, it may have been a harsh reality check. It won't come easy for us this season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star63No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Mar 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65080_1323278097.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65080.jpg

From reading this thread Gary is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
He has to show ambition, would JD or any other ambitious coach hang around if a chairman states he is happy with Championship RL for 5 to 10 years. Would sponsors be inspired by such comments, would potential new fans be inspired, short answer...No!
There are a number of comments re trust in the directors. Be thankful that they took the club on. Why anyone would want to be a director of an RL club defies logic. It's all your fault if it goes belly up and all the player's and coach if it goes well. And as for tarring the current directors with the actions of the previous incumbents serves no one at all. You cannot effect what has happened in the past but you can effect the future.
If some fans believe that they can do a better job then stump up the cash and become a director. Failing that volunteer your services and help the club, don't bitch on a forum.
As for the Boxing Day game. Yes, it was not the greatest result but JD will know a hell of a lot more about players and tactics than the Halifax coaching staff. Judge the team against York, Batley, Swinton, Sheffield etc in the season.
We have a good squad, a great coach and a buzz about the club. There will be triumphs and adversity throughout this season and we need to treat them in the same manner.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2012Jan 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Fozzie Bear.gif
:Black Backgrounds/Fozzie Bear.gif

Stealth, when you get your ferrari can I have a lift to the Grand Final?

RankPostsTeam
International Star80No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2014Jan 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I went and watched the game on boxing day at halifax, and these are the conclusions I reached. 1st of all there was at least 6 players who should be in 1st team who did not play. The 1st half wasn't that bad really we were still in the game although we suffered some injuries. We seemed to miss quite alot of tackles and Halifax always looked a yard quicker than us. Friendlys are there to fine tune your team and workout any problems and issues you have, seemed like the cougars still had fat bellys and maybe sore heads from christmas day. Who can blame them 12 o'clock kick off on boxing day is a tad early. I for one am not concerned by this performance to be honest, it is what it is a friendly!

Come the season I believe the cougars can and will compete with any team in this division and I'm so looking forward to it. If you look at it with a big outside view, how many of you at this point last season would have given your right arm and left leg to be where we are now and your left arm and right leg to have the squad we have.

I have heard rumours that there is plans for a new stadium, is it true who knows but the fact there is rumours has gotta be good.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach909
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Miss Piggy.gif
Soft, soppy Cougars fan:Black Backgrounds/Miss Piggy.gif

If the SL comment is true, then we either need a new stadium, or a very massive overhaui of the current one, as there is no way that the current Cougar Park is even remotely close to SL standards

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46524.jpg
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. -Albert Camus:46524.jpg

Quote: ilkleycougar "From reading this thread Gary is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
He has to show ambition, would JD or any other ambitious coach hang around if a chairman states he is happy with Championship RL for 5 to 10 years. Would sponsors be inspired by such comments, would potential new fans be inspired, short answer...No!'"

Nobody is saying he can't show ambition, he just needs to rein it from the amount he is showing. Will new fans/sponsors be impressed if they sign on the dotted line on the pretense of one thing and they get something far less than that? There is a middle ground on this one.

Quote: ilkleycougar "There are a number of comments re trust in the directors. Be thankful that they took the club on. Why anyone would want to be a director of an RL club defies logic. It's all your fault if it goes belly up and all the player's and coach if it goes well. And as for tarring the current directors with the actions of the previous incumbents serves no one at all. You cannot effect what has happened in the past but you can effect the future.'"

Forgive me and many, many other Keighley fans if we don't trust club directors. We aren't tarring the board with the same brush as previous boards. However the learning from what has happened in the past leaves us aware of what can happen.

Quote: ilkleycougar "If some fans believe that they can do a better job then stump up the cash and become a director. Failing that volunteer your services and help the club, don't bitch on a forum.'"

Has anybody said that they could do a better job? Nobody is even saying they are doing a bad job, just unimpressed by some of the brash and over ambitious statements being made. As for helping the club. I'm a season ticket holder, I've missed 1 home game in 4 years because it clashed with my sister getting married abroad, I go to the vast majority of away games, including Toulouse and I'm sure the bar staff will agree that I put more than a fair few quid in the till every home game. Away from the club I do my best to bring more fans down.

Quote: ilkleycougar "As for the Boxing Day game. Yes, it was not the greatest result but JD will know a hell of a lot more about players and tactics than the Halifax coaching staff. Judge the team against York, Batley, Swinton, Sheffield etc in the season.
We have a good squad, a great coach and a buzz about the club. There will be triumphs and adversity throughout this season and we need to treat them in the same manner.'"

Agreed, we can't possibly judge on what we're going to do until we put a full strength team out.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach87No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I for one can't see ryan smith get a sniff when the season begins we've stepped up now and the 3/4s are key. Was march injured cause he, jd and jy-mel seemed to look pretty lively to start with, then march went off jd and jy-mel subbed and that let fax in. but i also felt the team subbed too often, i hope shickell, killer, danny jones, semi, normington, cherryholme all get a go in the next outing.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2855No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46524.jpg

Quote: Mick W. "Stealth, when you get your ferrari can I have a lift to the Grand Final?'"

It'll have to be the Super League Grand Final because we'll be in it by then.......

RankPostsTeam
International Star12No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I agree with you ilkleycougar if gary is negative then everybody around become negative.The players need something to work towards in the past they looked to be just going threw the motions but now there is a buzz around the place .They know that if they dont perform for a game somebody else is waiting for a chance and that is healthy for the cougars.Thats thanks to Gary the other directors the sponsors and the fans present and the past who iam sure they want back at cougar park.Lets not forget what jason has managed the players that have come to cougars have got backing to a good genuine good bloke but also somebody they trust.Get behind them

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner2236No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2018Dec 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp048.gif
I have only been wrong once and thats because I thought I was wrong but I was wrong I was right! Petty authoritarians aren’t man enough to challenge the actions of a person face to face; instead they incite a forum of rumour, innuendo and half truths, and impose rude sanctions to discourage those who dare question fairness. Anon.:simpsons/simp048.gif

With regard to the ground, I believe the club put in a bid for the Scarborough Football Club stands, but were beaten to it by Featherstone.

For those not happy with how some of the directors come across in public maybe you should try talking to them in person - they are actually approachable.

Last time I went to a fans forum, where the directors made themselves available, the fans were conspicuous by their absence - I seem to remember we all managed to fit round one table. However, it turned out to be a very informative evening.

RankPostsTeam
International Star372No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2013Sep 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Have to say after reading the posts on this topic I thought I was in the bulls forum as they tend to be doom and gloom when they lose but as others say it was the 1st game and a friendly at that, bear in mind Halifax are one of the top teams in the division, so its not too much to worry about.

In Keighley news Jd expressed his disappointment of how the team caved in and no doubt will address the problem.

As for style of play just remember what Jd did in a short space of time and I have total faith in him and the players that they will acquit themselves and get behind them instead of moaning.

Frustration is okay but to moan after just one game looks a bit daft to me.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach909
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Jan 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Miss Piggy.gif
Soft, soppy Cougars fan:Black Backgrounds/Miss Piggy.gif

I personally have no complaints about the directors, JD or anyone else at present to be honest.

My only critical comment was stating that the current stand could in no way meet SL standards without a major overhaul, or more! Dont really think anyone, including Gary would argue with that!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach23No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Jan 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46899_1264967239.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46899.jpg

In all honesty we should just enjoy our current situation and stop the moaning of any kind! What's happened in 12 months is fantastic and we need more fans united behind the team! Bring on 2012!

39 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
39 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.107421875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
2m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
3m