Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Newsom 13"]You're the Ginger Journo Scouser. Not me.[/quote] [quote="WireFanatic"]Never agree much with a bluenose.......but in this case I will make an exception. ;)[/quote]:

Quote: Smiggs "Who's had a go at Evertonians?'"

You did, twice

Quote: Smiggs "oh the irony.'"

Quote: Smiggs "I've had a pop at you, the individual who apparently couldn't give a toss about Liverpool yet spends all his time talking about them and their signings. And where I come from is irrelevant.'"

On the same theme who I support is irrelevant. I don't see why you've got such a problem with me being an Evertonian and commenting on Liverpool. I don't care about Liverpool or any other club, apart from my own, but if that's what is being discussed I don't see why I shouldn't get involved because of who I support.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5414.jpg
[quote="Bob Paisley":y3z7f3as]A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don't stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once and that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were.[/quote:y3z7f3as] [quote="WireFanatic II":y3z7f3as]Why, if it isn't Catalancs, RLFANS answer to a question no-one asked![/quote:y3z7f3as]:5414.jpg

Quote: Roddy B "
Lastly, the biggest problem I have with this transfer, and most of our transfers of late, isn't just the player, it's our determination to overpay for players who aren't actually worth what we pay. It isn't a great business model to build around. I thought we were going into the market to be clever, to try and outwit our opponents, but we've entered it with a careless attitude. You shouldn't overpay for any player, you should be good enough to find other options and have back up plans, [iit seems once we decide, we don't backtrack[/i. We've now gone out and spent close to £70m on Carroll, Downing and Henderson, possibly more than £70m according to some, whilst I personally believe that money could have been used strengthening other areas of the squad. I feel we're a left back, two centre backs and a right winger lite. Furthermore, the money we've spent on Downing probably won't be recuperated in a future sale. It's not like when we signed Crouch for a small-ish fee, Downing's in his peak, we've overpaid and his value will only drop now, unless Real Madrid suddenly deem him di Maria's superior (probably is now he's signed for us).
'"

Tut tut. Bit of revisionism there pal, expect better from you!

Wickham and Marveaux ring a bell?

The money doesn't have to be recuperated from a future sale. If Downing helps Liverpool to get in the Champions league twice in the next 5 seasons his fee will have been recuperated. Would Man U get their £18m back if they sold Michael Carrick tomorrow, or would they think the success they have had as a team during his spell has balanced the fee, which many thought was too much. If Man U spend £35m on Sneijder and replaced Carrick (as an example), would that money be recuperated in a future sale or would Man U deem it a price worth paying if they went on to win the League twice in the next 4 seasons?

Quote: Roddy B "We (Liverpool) rated Young over Downing. We tried all January to get Young, Villa refused to budge (probably agreed a Whelan-esque deal with United) so we left it until the summer, but United got him over us, so we ended up going for Downing.'"

I'll think you'll find Dalglish has wanted and tried to sign Downing in January. Did it ever cross your mind he wanted both?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1662No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2014Mar 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: keithcun "If Downing helps Liverpool to get in the Champions league twice in the next 5 seasons his fee will have been recuperated.'"

Nonsense, not as if he's the only addition to the squad.

If Liverpool had the same squad as last season (excluding any departures), with the only arrival being Downing, and they made the CL then you could say he helped them make it there - combined with the continued improvement Dalglish has got from the current squad. But, even if they do get there twice in five years, surely this money potentially earned will be used to gloss over the fact they have also overpaid for Carroll and Henderson.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner8177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5414.jpg
[quote="Bob Paisley":y3z7f3as]A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don't stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once and that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were.[/quote:y3z7f3as] [quote="WireFanatic II":y3z7f3as]Why, if it isn't Catalancs, RLFANS answer to a question no-one asked![/quote:y3z7f3as]:5414.jpg

Quote: andym1988 "Nonsense, not as if he's the only addition to the squad.

If Liverpool had the same squad as last season (excluding any departures), with the only arrival being Downing, and they made the CL then you could say he helped them make it there - combined with the continued improvement Dalglish has got from the current squad. But, even if they do get there twice in five years, surely this money potentially earned will be used to gloss over the fact they have also overpaid for Carroll and Henderson.'"

Considering 2 good years in the Champions league could be worth £50m + without taking match ticket and merchandise sales into account, I don't think it is. Liverpool earned over £23m the last time they were in it (2009/10) and they didn't get past the quarter finals.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7121No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2019Oct 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
32395_1324520597.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_32395.png

Quote: keithcun "Tut tut. Bit of revisionism there pal, expect better from you!

Wickham and Marveaux ring a bell?

The money doesn't have to be recuperated from a future sale. If Downing helps Liverpool to get in the Champions league twice in the next 5 seasons his fee will have been recuperated. Would Man U get their £18m back if they sold Michael Carrick tomorrow, or would they think the success they have had as a team during his spell has balanced the fee, which many thought was too much. If Man U spend £35m on Sneijder and replaced Carrick (as an example), would that money be recuperated in a future sale or would Man U deem it a price worth paying if they went on to win the League twice in the next 4 seasons?

I'll think you'll find Dalglish has wanted and tried to sign Downing in January. Did it ever cross your mind he wanted both?'"

OK, so we didn't overpay for two players, although it's arguable that we probably should have overpaid for Wickham, considering he's a) A striker; b) very young with huge potential; and c) his fee was actually quite small in comparison to Henderson's, Carroll's and Downing's.

We may make money in other ways, but I always believe every club that spends a big sum, unless they don't need future re-sale money, should always have three/four years ahead of them in mind. I feel that paying £20m for a player - whose value will only decrease - isn't the best piece of business to be making. Although he's contributed to them winning trophies, I don't think United's signing of Berbatov was that great a move, and I don't think they'll get much change from him if they go on to sell him. However, their signing of Hernandez is the complete opposite: cheaper, less risk involved and his price has probably trebled in one season. I understand that United having an established squad means they can go out and not put expectations on a player like Hernandez, but I'd personally rather see us go out and take risks on young players, instead of overpaying on a player who is decent, purely because of the reward factor. With Downing, we know we aren't getting a world class player, we know we aren't getting a player with CL experience and we know that his price tag is only going to decline, so the overpaying factor, for me, is frustrating.

As for wanting both, well, the impression I got (depends on what you believe) was we asked for Young, got told no, tried as hard as we could to change their mind, but they still said no. I never heard too much speculation on Downing in January, but if there was concrete interest, I'd willingly accept we wanted both. Still, for the sake of the debate, I think Young's a better player than Downing. Just has more to his game and asks more of the defence.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5311No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Newsom 13"]You're the Ginger Journo Scouser. Not me.[/quote] [quote="WireFanatic"]Never agree much with a bluenose.......but in this case I will make an exception. ;)[/quote]:

Quote: keithcun "Considering 2 good years in the Champions league could be worth £50m + without taking match ticket and merchandise sales into account, I don't think it is. Liverpool earned over £23m the last time they were in it (2009/10) and they didn't get past the quarter finals.'"

Andy has a point though you surely have to take into account all the signings that help you get back in the Champions League, if you do of course, (which hopefully you won't icon_wink.gif) so Suarez, Carroll, Henderson and Downing plus anyone else he decides to flash the cash on before the end of August, lot of money to recoup h025.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dan_FC "Andy has a point though you surely have to take into account all the signings that help you get back in the Champions League, if you do of course, (which hopefully you won't
Balanced by rinsing Chelsea out of £50mil for a player who didn't look half as good as any of those players mentioned last season.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5311No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: inside_man "Balanced by rinsing Chelsea out of £50mil for a player who didn't look half as good as any of those players mentioned last season.'"

That takes a chunk out of it but they still spent more on Carroll and Suarez before they spent this summer so even in January it was more spent than came in.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1282No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dan_FC "That takes a chunk out of it but they still spent more on Carroll and Suarez before they spent this summer so even in January it was more spent than came in.'"

I'm certain I read somewhere that the money from Babel as well meant they made a profit in Jan. That was great business if so.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5311No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: richie166 "I'm certain I read somewhere that the money from Babel as well meant they made a profit in Jan. That was great business if so.'"

I forgot about him mate, think he went for around £6m so him plus Torres probably balances out their January transfers.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dan_FC "I forgot about him mate, think he went for around £6m so him plus Torres probably balances out their January transfers.'"

It did. People say Liverpool paid too much for Carroll, and there isn't any doubting that they did, but if it's true what they said straight after the transfer in that they said to Chelsea, you can have Torres for whatever Newcastle want for Carroll + £15mil.

If you'd been offered Carroll + £15mil for Torres in January, that looks like a cracking deal in that respect.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5311No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: inside_man "It did. People say Liverpool paid too much for Carroll, and there isn't any doubting that they did, but if it's true what they said straight after the transfer in that they said to Chelsea, you can have Torres for whatever Newcastle want for Carroll + £15mil.

If you'd been offered Carroll + £15mil for Torres in January, that looks like a cracking deal in that respect.'"

It does because Torres wanted out so they had to sell him and they moved quick to bring a replacement in. There's not doubting on form Torres is a much much better player but Carroll has time and has already proved in the Prem he does have the potential to be a very good striker.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach23178No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2023Apr 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11426_1682401247.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11426.jpeg

Don't get Andy Carroll, his second touch is a tackle. The white Michael Ricketts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3614No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dan_FC "It does because Torres wanted out so they had to sell him and they moved quick to bring a replacement in. There's not doubting on form Torres is a much much better player but Carroll has time and has already proved in the Prem he does have the potential to be a very good striker.'"

But Torres hasn't been on form for 2 years now (imo). I kinda hope after a summer off and a full preseason he can get some semblance of form back (not too much mind).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner53839No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Aug 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Twitter - @MaddyHFC:

So Fergie says Utd not interested in Wesley, Nasri and Modric won't be coming either....that hole in central midfield still needs filling.

5402 posts in 361 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
5402 posts in 361 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1962890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
MattyB
10m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
25m