JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1673_1436275874.jpg
Jamie Jones-Buchanan "I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire" And neither would any Lancastrian.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1673.jpg

Quote: SaintsFan "And if the fullback can't catch, they don't even get the chance to handle the ball.

Sam Tomkins looked the same this year against the Aussies when under pressure as he did last year against the Aussies when under pressure. His abilities under the high ball are questionable when under pressure (which he will be at international level if the opposition is worth its salt) and his line defence is poor. While I accept that the fullback has become more of an attacking threat in the modern game, that doesn't mean that a fullback shouldn't still be at the very least a good defender. And he should definitely be able to cope with a high ball under pressure if he wants to play on the international stage. That's his job.'"

Saintsfan you really are a silly boy/girl. Anything to have a go at the hated enemy, regardless of the right or wrong of it. You can sit smug tonight with your can of the old purple, knowing you are right and that you've pointed it out. So what, England lost but the man you hate most made a mistake. Sam had, by yours and Stevos standards a poor game. Well done. By the way, as part of the pre match entertainment in the next Wigan-Saints game, they are having a catch the high ball comp, all for charity. Pat Richards is going to kick a ball as high as he can, Jeff Lima, LMS, and Sean O'Loughlin will be about 2 foot from the fan who's volunteered to catch it, running at full speed. Let's see if you'll volunteer. Doubt you could even catch a cold.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27.jpg

Quote: Chief Stinkwort "You people really should learn to lighten up a little.'"

We're incredibly enlightened on here, which is why so many people from other teams (such as yourself) want to post. Unfortunately with that traffic comes numbnuts
who simply want to derail threads just when a decent debate was about to break out.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member993No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SaintsFan "And if the fullback can't catch, they don't even get the chance to handle the ball.

Sam Tomkins looked the same this year against the Aussies when under pressure as he did last year against the Aussies when under pressure. His abilities under the high ball are questionable when under pressure (which he will be at international level if the opposition is worth its salt) and his line defence is poor. While I accept that the fullback has become more of an attacking threat in the modern game, that doesn't mean that a fullback shouldn't still be at the very least a good defender. And he should definitely be able to cope with a high ball under pressure if he wants to play on the international stage. That's his job.'"

Tomkins is a very good player and may become great and I will forgive any player who has a bad game now and then. His problem is that he will have more and more bad games at full back as opponents realise that if you put him under pressure by making him field high kicks, grubbers and making tackles, he simply cannot be as effective in attack from full back (see CC Semi Final where he spent time turning round to collect kicks, knocking them dead for half a dozen drop outs, St Helens using three or four players to tackle him). He is being given an almost impossible task as all expect him to be brilliant defensively and then score eighty metre tries.

Play him at six, for both club and country, which will mean even if he does miss the odd tackle, there should be a full back behind him. More importantly, he won't be getting gang tackled and therefore knackered when in international games where the opposition is often of better standard than the lower super league clubs against whom his defensive requirements have been less frequently tested. For country at least, it'll mean Widdop will get more game time (which he deserves) and no Sinfield (or Chase for that matter)....at all....anywhere.....

RankPostsTeam
International Star484No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Feb 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wertyuio "
Play him at six, for both club and country'"

i imagine that is the idea if he stays in this sport for as long as hoped, but just look at lockyer. he didnt move to the halves until he was 27 and established as a state of origin and international fullback.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Quote: Wigan28/Leeds18 Andy "We're incredibly enlightened on here, which is why so many people from other teams (such as yourself) want to post. Unfortunately with that traffic comes numbnuts
who simply want to derail threads just when a decent debate was about to break out.'"

Just like our own board where you have been a regular for time, where there is massive traffic, where the gloating and laughing from many was at a peak last season. But as I've said before he who laughs last laughs longest.

Back on topic and back on point. People bagging individuals for the defeat is BS. As I said before it's foolish. Tomkin fluffed a few bombs in the series sinfield through a few crap passes and kicks(saying that i recon he touched the ball more than any English player). Basically we had our best team out there from who was fit. You can argue the toss others should have played. The reasons we lost in my opinion is that the Aussies broke us open at will and only a bit of luck in England's favour stopped it been a blow out before half time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach291No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2013Feb 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26054.gif
I drink therefore I am:26054.gif

Wow - Was getting eye strain reading through that lot icon_lol.gif

Bottom line - If you want an ENGLAND team to win TOURNAMENTS
Then get a decent NATIONAL coach,Not some half baked banana who believes the media hype icon_rolleyes.gif
By 2013 You'd better have a team based around all the young blokes currently on the rise,(by then they SHOULD be battle hardened) & allow them to gell as a unit.
The core of the Roos was the core of the maroons.They don't need to worry about 2nd guessing each other because they're a unit.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1612
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15483.jpg
:15483.jpg

I am not sure any coach (even Bennett) would be able to transform England into a winning team. I think the issue is not entirely with individual players (even though some did have poor games). The big difference for me is that ALL the Australians play with their heads up - they are aware of what is going on in the game and what is needed - plus they have superb leaders at 6,7 and 9. So they can spot weaknesses or opportunities and take advantage and do not panic if things do not work out - they just keep going.

England on the other hand have too many players who play heads down drive it in and do not read the game so just go through the same things time after time (at times I though we were back to having Noble as coach 5 drives and a poor kick). When we do try and break out of that it is panic stations with stupid off-loads or players running down a blind alley time after time. We do not play to a well defined and drilled structure.

Until we can produce players across the pitch who play smarter we will never beat the Aussies when it matters because we will always be at a disadvantage. I honestly cannot think of any English players who have the game sense of the likes of Thurston, Lockyer and Smith (and that is not taking into account their playing skills as well).

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg

Quote: sgtwilko "Just like our own board where you have been a regular for time, where there is massive traffic, where the gloating and laughing from many was at a peak last season. But as I've said before he who laughs last laughs longest. '"

Using the "other people have been idiots on our board" as an excuse isn't something that shows people in a good light.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Quote: Wigan28/Leeds18 Andy "Using the "other people have been idiots on our board" as an excuse isn't something that shows people in a good light.'"

First of all you used the word idiot not me.

second it was you bragging about site traffic. Leeds traffic over the years blows wigans out of the water. One and a half seasons of doing well in SL has brought you into the light but don't get carried away mate.

Third the only place I know you from is trolling on the Leeds board. Obviously being a local yourself it's good banter which I've said to you before it's what its all about on these boards.

fourth after the McGuire thread on review I've no need to worry about been seen in a good light.

But to get this thread back on topic which is the part of my post you ignored. I thought with you been a mod you migh have engaged in RL talk?

Blaming individuals for a team loss is daft. Tomkin and sini are 2 of a few players who are SL's best by a mile.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14323
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27_1469093054.jpg

Quote: sgtwilko "First of all you used the word idiot not me.

second it was you bragging about site traffic. Leeds traffic over the years blows wigans out of the water. One and a half seasons of doing well in SL has brought you into the light but don't get carried away mate.

Third the only place I know you from is trolling on the Leeds board. Obviously being a local yourself it's good banter which I've said to you before it's what its all about on these boards.

fourth after the McGuire thread on review I've no need to worry about been seen in a good light.

But to get this thread back on topic which is the part of my thread you ignored. I thought with you been a mod you migh have engaged in RL talk?

Blaming individuals for a team loss is daft. Tomkin and sini are 2 of a few players who are SL's best by a mile.'"

I do engage in RL talk, perhaps if you'd looked you wouldn't have posted the rubbish above.

Just because you've been pulled up for childishly trying to derail a thread don't continue it by trying to make excuses for your childish behaviour. If you've got a problem with the moderation process PM the admin rather than making excuses on this thread.

Consider this your last warning. Thank you.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2513No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50582_1268771718.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50582.jpg

The reason we are so crap against the Aussies is they are used to playing high intensity games every week whereas half the teams in super league are e and its a stroll for the bigger clubs. This means our England players arent put under constant pressure every game and a lot of times get away with making poor decisions due to the poor quality of the opposition.

Until super league becomes more competitive on a high quality level, not just restricting the big clubs spending to drag them down to the crap teams level we will never get near Australia on a consistent basis.

I would start by cutting down super league to ensure more high quality games more often rather 40-50 nil drubbings.

RankPostsTeam
International Star366No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[img:1hl70j1y]http://i42.tinypic.com/6jmrmd.jpg[/img:1hl70j1y]:

Quote: TheArmChairRef "A diabolical first half performance frp]om Sam Tomkins costs England the game

Following the most arrogant article from Sam's parents in Fridays Daily Mail

I suspect it will be humble pie in the Tomkins household tomrrow followed by catching practice we hope !!'"

get your head out of your mate.Its a team effort and u cant single out one player because he spilled 3 kicks!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5799No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2015May 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23564_1342783768.png
[b][color=#0000BF]SUPPORT • SPONSOR • PLAY • JOIN A MIDLANDS RUGBY LEAGUE SUCCESS STORY //www.coventrybears.co.uk[/color][/b]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23564.png

We were too reliant on Sinfield's kicking game and it wasn't up to scratch. It was so predictable when he was going to kick on the 4th tackle and his poor kicks just gifted them field position. Then when we did throw the ball around, some individuals would spend too much time on the ball (mainly Chase).

I think a different coach would bring more structure to the team, but I think the players just weren't up to it. Soon as Lomax is fit he will be in the England team ahead of Sinfield and I'd have either Sam or Widdop in the halves with Lomax with the other at FB. Chase should of came on from the bench, or should not be included at all.

Saying that though, it's the first tournament most of these players have played together and we played some very good rugby at times. This team will only get better, its just unfortunate that Australia are too good.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Coventry Warrior! "We were too reliant on Sinfield's kicking game and it wasn't up to scratch. It was so predictable when he was going to kick on the 4th tackle and his poor kicks just gifted them field position. Then when we did throw the ball around, some individuals would spend too much time on the ball (mainly Chase).

I think a different coach would bring more structure to the team, but I think the players just weren't up to it. Soon as Lomax is fit he will be in the England team ahead of Sinfield and I'd have either Sam or Widdop in the halves with Lomax with the other at FB. Chase should of came on from the bench, or should not be included at all.

Saying that though, it's the first tournament most of these players have played together and we played some very good rugby at times. This team will only get better, its just unfortunate that Australia are too good.'"

Lomax isnt fit to lace sinfields boots let alone take his shirt.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3448
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2021Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22964_1381135683.jpg
[color=#FF0000:3ohiykr5][b:3ohiykr5]Wigan Warriors - 2017 World Club Champions[/b:3ohiykr5][/color:3ohiykr5]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22964.jpg

Quote: sgtwilko "Lomax isnt fit to lace sinfields boots let alone take his shirt.'"

You're a week late with that analogy.

Sinfield's a great player, but is far too inconsistent for England.

128 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
128 posts in 10 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1943359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
10m
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
13m