FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Wigan Warriors > Squad for Hull FC (H)
126 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg
:icons15f0_files/3441-1022jacare-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Phuzzy "I clearly see things differently than a lot on here but so be it. There's been a big debate on here recently about what happens when teams lose 5, 6, 7 players. Well, by the time Marshall failed to make it past half time we were 5 down with a sixth playing his first minutes after a near year long absence. We still won.

It's ludicrous that people are saying we're miles off less than two weeks after Saints, the supposed benchmark, lost at the bottom club with a similar number missing. Are they 'miles off' too then?

Make no mistake, we fought for that tonight. Showed plenty grit and determination to win a game we weren't bossing. Hull are a decent side. That's a game we lose last year. Not only lose, but lose convincingly.

As for individual performances, Havard, Smithies, Field and Farrell were excellent. Byrne, Singleton and Mago (yes Mago) were good. Harry Smith has played just 2 games this season and won both of them for us. What do you people want?

I absolutely despair sometimes. That was a hard fought win that should be celebrated not belittled. We won't have it all our own way every game and the ability to win close games like that is crucial. Were we perfect? Absolutely not. Were we good enough to win? I don't know...I'll need to check the scoreboard again as apparently we weren't very good.'"

I don’t think I’ve seen a post that says we didn’t do well to win?

We are significantly improved on the previous 3 years but still some way to go is my main point. I’m happy with our improvement on and off the pitch. I’m not expecting any silverware this season and I’m fine with that. We had regressed to a very poor club so to turn it around in a season would be expecting too much.

Currently we can’t seem to play at a high intensity for prolonged periods. It’s not a criticism it’s just an opinion that personally, I have. One of my frustrations is that Mago patently has the ability to help improve this but for whatever reason he can’t do it unless it’s in micro sections.
I think that Field is absolutely fantastic to watch. It’s a genuine pleasure to see the guy accelerate so effortlessly. We need more across the park when he doesn’t play well and when he still delivers if we are to compete with Saints and Catalan. For me that isn’t a criticism it’s currently just a fact.

I woke up this morning really pleased with the overall performance against a decent team and where we picked up injuries during the game. All I want to see is further improvement which I’m quite sure the squad can deliver. I’m pretty certain that Peet and his team will be giving backslaps for a good solid performance but will be looking and striving for improvements across the entire squad. I’m confident that further improvement will be delivered particularly when we get consistent dry pitches.

I’m going to Wakefield and Saints and it’s been a few seasons since I went to consecutive away games so as I say generally I’m happy with our progress.
I suppose I’m in the Lombardi camp. Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.
I’ve always thought like that. I just can’t help it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_69704.jpg

Quote: 100% Warrior "2021 that’s a game we’d have lost. On that I am almost certain, even if we had the squad we have now.

We’re not there yet, we’re still a way off IMO and that’s not a criticism. But we’re well on the way to getting there, wins like last night prove it. I’ve watched the game again this morning (the benefits of having a 1yr old non sleeper). I’m going to roll back on my Smith/Partington criticism, they weren’t poor but fairly solid on second viewing. Yes there was nothing spectacular but they did their job and did it to a good standard.

Whether it’s good enough is another matter, I’m not convinced at all with Partington but gladly will roll back further I hope in time.

Our defence was dogged and our attack was actually pretty good and suited the game. I thought Singleton was brilliant last night and I hope some of those who went after him with pitchforks will eat their words, he’s been a shining star in our pack this season and in all games he’s played has laid the platform with hard drives, tough D and a willingness to do the tough stuff which generally speaking isn’t praised anywhere near enough.

A good win, good performance. I’m happy with last night.'"

Agree.

I was critical at HT, but that probably came from somehow being behind after dominating territory etc. 2nd half, I thought we really took it to them.

Attack will improve when we figure out where Field and French fit in, but as you say we are on the right track.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Egg Chasing "Same ones bagging Mago's minutes are probably the same ones that used to love Clubby.'"

I’m banging on about Mago’s minutes and I thought Clubb was dire at best.

Same person doing smart arris one sentence posts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I’m banging on about Mago’s minutes and I thought Clubb was dire at best.

Same person doing smart arris one sentence posts.'"

Looking at his stats he made more yards than every prop bar Havard, more carries than Byrne and the same number of carries as Olly P.

So are his minutes rubbish or is every other prop lazy?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: NickyKiss "It’s not bad 9 carries in limited minutes. Big Tony would regularly play longer minutes than Mago is and run 3 or 4 times only. The minutes were limited but he was busy enough when he was on I felt. If you look at Havard he carried 18 times and that’s fantastic but he was probably on the field 3 times as long, so the output per minute isn’t much different.

Sometimes I think we need to look at the props as a collective unit. We don’t have that one that makes 150+ metres most weeks but if your 4 or 5 are playing different roles and coming up with the metres you need between them, then that’s absolutely fine.'"

It’s still 9 carries in 80 minutes of available game time.
Potentially Mago is our best prop therefore, I want our best prop on the field for maximum minutes.
I just can’t comprehend or accept, unless he is carrying an injury, why he can’t do more than 10 minute cameos.

I actually think that Mago could be a terrific player. I just find it frustrating that he can’t do more.
I’m not anti Mago as some posters will immediately leap to as any minor criticism is held up as an almost treasonous act.

I’m just an owd fart who happens to believe that a full time pro should be capable of playing a full 80 minutes if required to do so. It’s generally accepted for all positions except for props by the vast majority of fans, I just find it inexcusable that any player can’t do more than 10 minute stints.

Giving Clubb his last 2 year contract was probably the worst piece of cap management in the club’s history.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Egg Chasing "Looking at his stats he made more yards than every prop bar Havard, more carries than Byrne and the same number of carries as Olly P.

So are his minutes rubbish or is every other prop lazy?'"

Good to engage EC.

Yes his minutes are poor. Statistically and factually I think that’s a given. I assume you don’t want him to play more minutes?
His actual ability I have zero qualms with. Potentially he could be something special. I just want more of it

How many minutes did Byrne do? How many tackles did each prop do?
How many games previously has he averaged 10 metres per carry.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Aug 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
69704_1656949802.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "Good to engage EC.

Yes his minutes are poor. Statistically and factually I think that’s a given. I assume you don’t want him to play more minutes?
His actual ability I have zero qualms with. Potentially he could be something special. I just want more of it

How many minutes did Byrne do? How many tackles did each prop do?
How many games previously has he averaged 10 metres per carry.'"

He is hardly blowing out his backside or asking to come off, it is simply that is how Peet wants to use him. As JonH said, the momentum swings when he comes on.

If he's playing low minutes and putting in Clubb type stats then fair enough, but when he is on the field he is clearly the dominant prop.

I'd love him to do 20 min spells, I think he could, but Peet sees it different and so far we can have few complaints because it's working.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach29678
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10919_1322084665.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10919.jpg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "It’s still 9 carries in 80 minutes of available game time.
Potentially Mago is our best prop therefore, I want our best prop on the field for maximum minutes.
I just can’t comprehend or accept, unless he is carrying an injury, why he can’t do more than 10 minute cameos.

I actually think that Mago could be a terrific player. I just find it frustrating that he can’t do more.
I’m not anti Mago as some posters will immediately leap to as any minor criticism is held up as an almost treasonous act.

I’m just an owd fart who happens to believe that a full time pro should be capable of playing a full 80 minutes if required to do so. It’s generally accepted for all positions except for props by the vast majority of fans, I just find it inexcusable that any player can’t do more than 10 minute stints.

Giving Clubb his last 2 year contract was probably the worst piece of cap management in the club’s history.'"

I get where you’re coming from but with a 5 prop rotation last night, there’s only so many minutes each player can get and only so many carries available to take. Looking at the 5 lads in total, they took in over 60 carries between them. That’s huge and whilst you probably want your guy who makes the most ground per carry to be on as long as possible, I think they feel the best way to use him is in short bursts.

I must admit in one game I wouldn’t mind seeing him start and then trying to get 50-60 minutes out of him, just to see if he can do it and not become a defensive target/weak link. Last night wouldn’t be that game and nor would Saints/Catalans etc but maybe against a team missing a few or struggling for form.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Egg Chasing "He is hardly blowing out his backside or asking to come off, it is simply that is how Peet wants to use him. As JonH said, the momentum swings when he comes on.

If he's playing low minutes and putting in Clubb type stats then fair enough, but when he is on the field he is clearly the dominant prop.

I'd love him to do 20 min spells, I think he could, but Peet sees it different and so far we can have few complaints because it's working.'"

Why does Peet play his best attacking threat for 80 minutes but his best forward threat for 10 minute bursts?
It just sounds totally illogical to me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20371No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5733_1599791508.jpeg
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5733.jpeg

Quote: Itchy Arsenal "I’m more than happy with the win and happy with our general improvement. The entire 17 are playing much better and individually several players have come on leeps and bounds.

I will look out for Mago’s first drive but 9 drives in an entire match???
I want the guy to be a huge success. He almost certainly has the ability. One of thre finest sights on a rugby is a big prop offloading and he can do it for fun.
As I’ve said previously if he is carrying an injury fair do’s but if he isn’t then for me he’s not doing enough by any stretch of the imagination.'"

Mago’s first stint was ruined by us coughing up possession. He had 1 set with the ball.

Watch how Hull defend Mago compared to our other props.

I’m not sure he is being utilised quite right yet, it seems he is being subbed by the clock, however he scares defences as he has a strong carry and also hands.

He is the X factor in our prop rotation. He should be introduced when the game dictates it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3922
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
65656_1708941604.jpg
[size=95:2obtgspq]23 LEAGUE TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]21 CHALLENGE CUPS[/size:2obtgspq] [size=95:2obtgspq]5 WORLD TITLES[/size:2obtgspq] [b:2obtgspq][color=#FF0000:2obtgspq][size=100:2obtgspq]SAYS IT ALL REALLY[/size:2obtgspq][/color:2obtgspq][/b:2obtgspq]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_65656.jpg

Quote: jonh "Mago’s first stint was ruined by us coughing up possession. He had 1 set with the ball.

Watch how Hull defend Mago compared to our other props.

I’m not sure he is being utilised quite right yet, it seems he is being subbed by the clock, however he scares defences as he has a strong carry and also hands.

He is the X factor in our prop rotation. He should be introduced when the game dictates it.'"

100% agreed, although I do think/want to see bigger mins from him (not sure what the lack of mins is down too) if possible.

Every drive, he's making ground and takes 2+ players to pin him down. He's not being dominated and there's always the potential for the offload. I'm more than happy with what he's doing when he's on the pitch. If his engine can take it and he can do more mins, he'd be like our Papalii in some respects.

What I would say however is that, if I had a choice, I'd have players like Havard and Ellis over a Mago. Big, rangy & mobile lads who can do 60+ mins if needed. They suit our style of play more than what a Mago type player does.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2975
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

The morning after the night before, a very good win, over on the FC board they're generally gutted as they and let's be fair most of us thought our pack would be in big trouble last night.
They stood up to be counted, I really hope Singleton can keep churning out performances like that most weeks instead of disappearing into his shell or doing something stupid. Havard is already making a hell of a difference despite only having a couple of games under his belt.
I thought Smith had probably his best game so far for us, his movement and timing of the pass for Field's first try was top drawer and his kicking game was bob on, either finding the grass or launching high enough to get a good line set plus having the confidence to set up the 2nd dg attempt after missing the 1st.
Looking ahead I just hope we put 4 3/4"s on the pitch against Wakey instead of shoe horning a 2nd rower in at centre, very tough game coming up especially considering our recent record at their place.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5479
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: LewCharnock "Agree with all this, I was personally delighted with the win last night, due to all of the factors you mention above.

To have a game changing call (Connor kick out) go against us, losing 2 of our starting players and interchange as a result for 40 minutes, plus the fact that Hull played really well (they will do well this year after seeing them), yet we came away with the win. Some guts and desire on show.

As Peet alluded to post-match, we weren’t great in attack and Field created a try out of nothing when we were looking lost but to go on and win the game was hugely impressive.

A special mention to Harvard, Smithies and Singleton; great efforts standing up to one of the best packs in the league. My MOM was Liam Farrell who took that game by the scruff of the neck in the last 15-20, the man is a machine.'"

Absolutely mate. Last night wasn't the best we'll be this season but there was plenty to be proud of as a fan. I walked out of that stadium pleased to have seen a team giving their all, prepared to dig in and fight when it wasn't going their way and determined enough to find a way to win after twice being behind. They did the shirts proud and that's all we can ask.

There is clearly so much improvement in this team that comments like 'we're miles off' are insulting. Did we see Bevan French at his best last night or with a few games under his belt, in a settled position and running on the firm tracks of summer will he be an altogether different animal? Would Ellis, Thornley or KPP add to that performance or is there no point them coming back as they'll add nothing? Will we be running with the three quarter line we had last night for the rest of the season? Will Marshall only make it to half time most games or us be down to 2 subs? Were the 17 who took the field operating at the very top of their potential with no improvement in them?

And then the big one: Harry Smith is our 3rd choice half. You could argue that, if Field seizes his chance when played there that he'll be our 4th choice. The lad has only had 2 starts this season. He was better than both Cust and Gale last night. At the end he won us the game for the second time this season. Yet I come on here to see nothing but criticism! Name me a team with a better 3rd/4th choice half than Harry Smith!

Look on the Hull board. Virtually everyone is saying the better team on the night won but that their team put in a decent performance. Come on the Wigan board and you'd think we lost.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: NickyKiss "I get where you’re coming from but with a 5 prop rotation last night, there’s only so many minutes each player can get and only so many carries available to take. Looking at the 5 lads in total, they took in over 60 carries between them. That’s huge and whilst you probably want your guy who makes the most ground per carry to be on as long as possible, I think they feel the best way to use him is in short bursts.

I must admit in one game I wouldn’t mind seeing him start and then trying to get 50-60 minutes out of him, just to see if he can do it and not become a defensive target/weak link. Last night wouldn’t be that game and nor would Saints/Catalans etc but maybe against a team missing a few or struggling for form.'"

Mago is potentially our best prop and as another poster has said he has the X factor therefore, unless he is carrying an injury why wouldn’t you want him on the pitch for longer minutes?

As many agree we are a work in progress albeit we are definitely improving.
Currently our main sources as an attacking threat are Field and KPP plus Mago with their offload potential. The longer Mago is on the pitch the longer we have that offload threat. To me it’s as simple as that. It’s not rocket science or critiquing a player it’s just common sense.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2972
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Phuzzy "Absolutely mate. Last night wasn't the best we'll be this season but there was plenty to be proud of as a fan. I walked out of that stadium pleased to have seen a team giving their all, prepared to dig in and fight when it wasn't going their way and determined enough to find a way to win after twice being behind. They did the shirts proud and that's all we can ask.

There is clearly so much improvement in this team that comments like 'we're miles off' are insulting. Did we see Bevan French at his best last night or with a few games under his belt, in a settled position and running on the firm tracks of summer will he be an altogether different animal? Would Ellis, Thornley or KPP add to that performance or is there no point them coming back as they'll add nothing? Will we be running with the three quarter line we had last night for the rest of the season? Will Marshall only make it to half time most games or us be down to 2 subs? Were the 17 who took the field operating at the very top of their potential with no improvement in them?

And then the big one

Genuine question Phuzzy, I’m not having a pop, but how do you see how we can beat Saints on GF?
Maybe I’m being too pragmatic or overly pessimistic but presently, unless Saints play below their high standards I struggle to see us winning.

126 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
126 posts in 9 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

12.09423828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
just_browny
13m
Tonights match v HKR
just_browny
13m