JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: XBrettKennyX "I "found" that not everyone agrees with me? On an internet forum? No way! Gosh you are full of spectacular revelations this morning aren't you?
You always did.

Didn't it take you something like two years to acknowledge that Michael Maguire had been a good appointment? (Or was it a 'lucky' one? icon_lol.gif )

Mind you, at least that proves your determined-to-be-unimpressed attitude to Bowen isn't just a farcical one-off eccentricity.

RankPostsTeam
International Star186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Bowen is a sensational player.
Far better than Hodgson and he was man of steel in his first season. We are lucky to have him, and if anyone genuinely objects to the "marquee" description they should watch his last 4 performances for North Queensland. He'll go better for us than Minicello.
Give it a couple of weeks, and Sam may be leaving us with 2 LLS, 2 Cups and 2 Super League winners' medals. By my reckoning that exceeds our haul for the entire period of SL before IL took over. The only currency we deal in are trophies, and whatever IL is doing, he can keep on doing it as far as I am concerned.
I can't understand why people care what IL and Wane and other sporting people say (though it might be because we all have too much time on our hands). Words can be taken out of context, throw away remarks can be over analysed, errors of judgement can be mulled over ad nauseum. So what if we look at IL and conclude that we don't like him? That's part of life.
The one thing that matters are the current results and future prospects of the team. On current results, with 3 games to play no one has had a better season, on future prospects, if we keep Bowen fit, I think the doom sayers will be proven wrong again next year. Which brings me full circle - take Bowen's last 4 performances, watch them closely and your worries will be over.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: dubairl "if you believed everything stats tell you, you wouldn't get in a car. sam tomkins stats probably make for rubbish reading compared to the past season. He shown that hes still able to play at the top for the past 6months no matter what rubbish the media spout over there, they cant afford to keep him and all the players they would like and he's the oldest so hes the first out the door.'"

The article says it's reckoned they could afford to keep him. Parr was obviously going out of his way to accommodate the player as well. Who to believe? You who thinks its all a pack of lies or people down-under who actually talk to the clubs and Parr himself?

I saw that post in the Aussie newspaper weeks ago and that is what I based my opinion that he would only be released if his club thought he wasn't up to it physically.

You seem to just want to dismiss that article as propaganda simply because it suits your point of view to do so.

Simple question, do you think signing a him is a risk or not?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: DaveO "The article says it's reckoned they could afford to keep him. Parr was obviously going out of his way to accommodate the player as well. Who to believe? You who thinks its all a pack of lies or people down-under who actually talk to the clubs and Parr himself?

I saw that post in the Aussie newspaper weeks ago and that is what I based my opinion that he would only be released if his club thought he wasn't up to it physically.

You seem to just want to dismiss that article as propaganda simply because it suits your point of view to do so.

Simple question, do you think signing a him is a risk or not?'"

99.9% of all signings are risks in one way or another

RankPostsTeam
International Star1979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68548_1368547004.jpg
"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try No hell below us, above us only pie"(John Ono Lennon born Wigan 1940):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68548.jpg

Quote: DaveO "The article says it's reckoned they could afford to keep him. Parr was obviously going out of his way to accommodate the player as well. Who to believe? You who thinks its all a pack of lies or people down-under who actually talk to the clubs and Parr himself?

Why are we arguing about Bowen's fitness? He's just played a full season in the NRL and by all accounts played pretty well. Presumably Wigan's medical staff have assessed his fitness prior to him signing. Why don't you base your opinion on that? Why do you presume to know better?

Of course his signing is a risk, but given his pedigree, probably worth taking. Would you rather have Richie Mathers perhaps?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach316No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Regardless of Bowen's ability, signing a player of his age is always going to be a risk. But given that we have a few young lads who can step into the FB role if need be, it's a calculated risk.

And a simple question for you, who do you think we should have signed instead? I only ask because if he's a bad choice (which you seem to imply), we can only judge that against the other options that might have been available.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock "I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count" [quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote] Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!" I thanked him and went on my Merry way! RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015! "The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth." Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

And to all those who are hung up on IL's "Spin" and seem concerned that this in some way means that he should fall on his sword if those words dont happen to be 100% correct consider this.

Show me 1 signing over the last 30 years (And we could go back to forever) when the club have announced that we've signed someone "Average" and haven't tried to put spin on it in some way.

I'm a big fan of MO but some people seem to think he could do no wrong and seem to want to criticise IL for things that others have done in the past yet seem immune to the same criticism.
I'm sure somoen could pull out what Mo said about the Vaeliki signing or the Michael Withers, Shane Millard (Who I quite liked actually, just wish he were 5 years younger), Tim Jonkers, Jordan James Etc Etc Etc Etc.
Lets see if there were any words of "Spin" over those signings?
Lets see wha words of Spin Jack Robinson put on the selling of Andy Greg and his aquisition of his replacement? The signings of Paul Koloi, Stuart Lester, Shem Tatupu & Doc Murray.

I dont remember them announcing we'd signed "Craaaap!"

There are people who have made their minds up about IL & SW for various reasons and as alluded to with regards the "Other Forum" earlier the self serving sanctimonious rubbish spouted by some (Luckily not as much lately on here) is astonishing.

Ive now seen posts criticising other posters for coming up with an "hypothetical" argument even though they put the words "If" as a counter argument yet feel no shame in doing 10X the amount of speculation and pushing it as Fact.

Scratching around to find the tiniest faults with how the club run seems to me to be nothing more that an "I could do better" type argument.
Luckily IMO we'll never know wether that's true or not but I'd wager some of these people wouldn't have an ounce of the business acumen that an IL or others have.
Anyway, "Happy Clapper" alert for the usual suspects so feel free to deconstruct my post minutely to try & prove a point.

I'll just concentrate on another Semi Final on Friday, another possible Grand Final, possibly a 4th major trophy in the last 4 years not including 2 LLS.
Damn, Best stop now, too much positivity without mentioning the increased crowds, better marketting, better youth set up and retention of youth!
Damn, at it again!
eusa_silenced.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Why are we arguing about Bowen's fitness? He's just played a full season in the NRL and by all accounts played pretty well. Presumably Wigan's medical staff have assessed his fitness prior to him signing. Why don't you base your opinion on that? Why do you presume to know better?'"

I don't know better and never suggested I did. His club decided he wasn't up to another season despite how he has just gone and they released him. That is what the article said. I didn't say it. You can chose to believe it or not.

Quote: Aboveusonlypie "Of course his signing is a risk, but given his pedigree, probably worth taking. Would you rather have Richie Mathers perhaps?'"

No and I wouldn't ask such a stupid question either.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

Quote: Jukesays "And to all those who are hung up on IL's "Spin" and seem concerned that this in some way means that he should fall on his sword if those words dont happen to be 100% correct consider this.

Show me 1 signing over the last 30 years (And we could go back to forever) when the club have announced that we've signed someone "Average" and haven't tried to put spin on it in some way.'"

Well granted they are not going to say they are poor but you are bright enough to realise that the reason IL is calling Bowen a marquee signing is all because he's just let Sam go early.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1832No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15723.gif
:15723.gif

It's wonderful how many mystics are on this message board, Bowen hasn't even laced up a boot and he's an over the hill demic. Imagine judging him and the board this time next year, how novel would that be?

RankPostsTeam
International Star1704
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
61641_1313077623.png
[color=#FF0000:18ol665r]A Pie is for life, not just a Wembley Final[/color:18ol665r]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_61641.png

at the end of the day sensible fans will make their own mind up if he is a good signing once they have seen him play in the Cherry and White. We know Sam would be going sooner or later and at least we now have salary cap available to keep young players like Burgess, Tierney, Hampshire, Williams etc etc by paying them a little more.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner329No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I'm stuck on a train so have spent an hour scrolling through various threads on this forum and I've come to the conclusion that Rugby League was better before we had internet forums like this wasn't it?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "Well granted they are not going to say they are poor but you are bright enough to realise that the reason IL is calling Bowen a marquee signing is all because he's just let Sam go early.'"

This wild, frantic criticism of the term 'marquee signing' is straw-grabbing on a truly epic scale.

Wigan have clearly done the best they could to find an adequate replacement for a star who wanted out, and all you can do is quibble about terminology and add your usual bit of uninformed guesswork about how great a risk it might be.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7770
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: pie.warrior "at the end of the day sensible fans will make their own mind up if he is a good signing once they have seen him play in the Cherry and White. We know Sam would be going sooner or later and at least we now have salary cap available to keep young players like Burgess, Tierney, Hampshire, Williams etc etc by paying them a little more.'"

Paying youngsters more money so they stay at the club longer and realise their potential in Cherry & White! d040.gif
It''ll never work! icon_wink.gif

PS

And before someone says it I Know some of these will then move on at some point to other clubs, some because we want to, some because they want to.
I'm sure the club will try to put a positive "Spin" on all of this and isn't that surprising!
An organisation in "trying to put a positive vibe out about themselves" Shocker! icon_eek.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star18No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2014Feb 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Ah some happy fans out there again.

I for one am happy its all out in the open now. Let Sam enjoy his last couple of games and move on hopefully with another winners medal. Matty B looks the business and will fit in well with our structures whilst passing a wealth of knowledge and experience onto the youngsters coming through.

Just think, we could be in the position That Stains are in. Im sure that would be a whole lot more depressing.

177 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps
177 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, DaveO , Wigan6/Leeds1 Andy , Bilko , Pemps

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.80712890625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
3m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m